UVA vs Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gleek62

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I apologize for posting another one of these VS threads, but I could use some outside input. Longtime SDN poster but created a new handle for anonymity.

I'm debating between the University of Virginia and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. I've visited UVA's second look and will attend Northwestern's as well. At the end of the day, I know "fit" is the most important, but any input from outside sources would be appreciated.

At the moment, here is what I'm taking into account:

1) Cost is a wash. I'm OOS at UVA and there is virtually no difference after four years. I don't quality for financial aid, so money isn't a deciding factor.

2) Location. Northwestern trumps in terms of an ideal living situation. I'm originally from the Midwest and I adore Chicago. I've lived in a college-town for four years and the opportunity to do urban for medical school is very appealing. While I don't dislike Charlottesville, I'm over the undergraduate lifestyle and am afraid I'd be put right back in that environment in Charlottesville.
Also, I'm thinking the NW area offers a wider patient population than UVA, but I've heard this theory debunked numerous times since the latter is a huge academic center.

3) Curriculum. UVA has a brand-spanking new curriculum that looks AWESOME. Pre-clinical years shortened to 18-month, so an extra 6 months of electives. It focuses on active-learning and group-work that is right up my alley. However, I'd be the second-class to be involved in the curriculum so it's intimidating since there's no data showing its effectiveness. Plus, the school is still ironing out some of the logistics. On the flip side, Northwestern has a organ-based curriculum that is minimal lecture time and PBL-based. PBL isn't really for me as I'm more of a learn-it then use-it type, and not the reverse. Also, Northwestern is implementing a new curriculum in 2012-2013 (see http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/AWOME/curriculum-renewal/index.html). The powerpoint on the website details some of the aspects that are lacking in the Northwestern curriculum (i.e. lack of early clinical experience, disjoint in the clerkships between clinical medicine and basic sciences, etc). It brings attention to things I would be missing out on. However, since Northwestern's curriculum has been around since 1993, I know it works.

Big picture--I'm looking for a school that will allow me the best opportunity to become the best physician I can be. It seems to come down to the question of is downtown Chicago enough to give up for a more preferred curriculum that will be in its second-year of implementation? I know I'm truly the only one who can answer this question, however any outside input concerning other things to consider or thoughts on either school would be most sincerely appreciated!

I'm blessed to have these options and I know I cannot make a wrong decision. Both UVA and Northwestern are phenomenal institutions that will offer me a wonderful medical education. Thank you in advance for your input!

EDIT: One extra note. I have no idea what area of medicine I want to go into, so strength of clinical programs in one area vs another I haven't considered.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Funny because I have a friend who is in the exact same situation. Sounds like this all boils down to location vs. curriculum. I can't say much for UVa, but I was accepted to NW so here are my $.02.

The Chicago location seems great in a number of ways. For your training, you would have the opportunity to see such rich and diverse groups of patient populations. The free clinics available to volunteer in sound like incredible experiences as well. The hospitals at NW are all really nice and the faculty were all entirely enthusiastic. Living-wise, when else in your life will you be able to live in downtown Chicago? The students really seemed to take advantage of this.

In the end, how much are the small differences in curriculum going to affect your learning in the first 2/1.5 years? If you are into the whole "application of knowledge" idea, I'm sure there will be plenty of ways to employ such learning wherever you go. Good luck, you can't go wrong!

Thanks crixx! I appreciate the input. Anyone else?

I'm a first year at UVa. I didn't consider any schools in the Midwest, but two of my cousins graduated from both Northwestern's undergrad and med school, and seemed to really enjoy it. Another friend is just matched in general surgery at Norhtwestern, and raved about the location and hospital. Good choices either way.
2) Location. Northwestern trumps in terms of an ideal living situation. I'm originally from the Midwest and I adore Chicago. I've lived in a college-town for four years and the opportunity to do urban for medical school is very appealing. While I don't dislike Charlottesville, I'm over the undergraduate lifestyle and am afraid I'd be put right back in that environment in Charlottesville.
Also, I'm thinking the NW area offers a wider patient population than UVA, but I've heard this theory debunked numerous times since the latter is a huge academic center.

3) Curriculum. UVA has a brand-spanking new curriculum that looks AWESOME. Pre-clinical years shortened to 18-month, so an extra 6 months of electives. It focuses on active-learning and group-work that is right up my alley. However, I'd be the second-class to be involved in the curriculum so it's intimidating since there's no data showing its effectiveness. Plus, the school is still ironing out some of the logistics. On the flip side, Northwestern has a organ-based curriculum that is minimal lecture time and PBL-based. PBL isn't really for me as I'm more of a learn-it then use-it type, and not the reverse. Also, Northwestern is implementing a new curriculum in 2012-2013 (see http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/AWOME/curriculum-renewal/index.html). The powerpoint on the website details some of the aspects that are lacking in the Northwestern curriculum (i.e. lack of early clinical experience, disjoint in the clerkships between clinical medicine and basic sciences, etc). It brings attention to things I would be missing out on. However, since Northwestern's curriculum has been around since 1993, I know it works.

Big picture--I'm looking for a school that will allow me the best opportunity to become the best physician I can be. It seems to come down to the question of is downtown Chicago enough to give up for a more preferred curriculum that will be in its second-year of implementation? I know I'm truly the only one who can answer this question, however any outside input concerning other things to consider or thoughts on either school would be most sincerely appreciated!
1) I enjoy the college town feel of Charlottesville, but it's pretty easy to avoid if you wanted. We're on the outer edge of Central Grounds, so you don't see many undergrads walking around the med school/hospital. When going out, the downtown area caters to an older population, so you have more options than hitting up the Corner. There's a lot to do in the area (concerts, wine tasting, hiking, college sports) but obviously Chicago will offer more. I think patient diversity is probably pretty equal, because as you mentioned, UVa gets a lot of referrals from elsewhere.

2) Our curriculum is pretty great for the reasons you mentioned. 50% lecture, 50% engagement activities of various designs. I don't like the concept of PBL, and I think we do a much better version of case-learning in that the cases always relate somehow to material we've already covered. There's still elements of self-directed learning because of the clinical presentations of diseases, but we at least have some basis from which to explore the differentials, etc.

You're right that there isn't any data from our board scores yet, but the administration has told us that we've either done as good or better than previous years on exams. We're doing exams in a very different manner (both questions and scheduling) than before, though, so I imagine it's hard to truly compare. We'll see when we take Step 1 in 10 months!

We haven't experienced the benefits of it, but the 1.5 condensed pre-clinicals was the main reason I came here. It's the most flexible curriculum in the country, as they don't require research. I intend on doing a few months of global health work, but it's nice to know I can take as many electives as I want if I'm still struggling to pick a specialty. But yeah, an 18 month 'fourth' year should be pretty awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.