2022-2023 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, this was super helpful :') as a fellow anxious person myself, this gives me ease haha
I'll say as someone who has met a fair chunk of people who will interview you - you are in good hands! The interview is low stress, and is there to see you succeed. Have an idea of how to answer the typical MMI questions and you'll be golden. Good luck, have fun, and I hope to see you after the ungodly long orientation next year. <3

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'll say as someone who has met a fair chunk of people who will interview you - you are in good hands! The interview is low stress, and is there to see you succeed. Have an idea of how to answer the typical MMI questions and you'll be golden. Good luck, have fun, and I hope to see you after the ungodly long orientation next year. <3
Thank you :') we all got this!!

Any other in state applicants not hear anything yet after submitting their application? They stop interviewing in state apps by November so I’m getting kind of nervous.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In state applications get reviewed together and receive their decision in December all at once. Then after that it’s only waitlist slots that are offered.
Wow thats crazy. For Oos Applicants they continue reviewing them until the end of the cycle?

Yeah. I think having so few in state applications and having a set number of in state seats in the class is why that do it this way.

Reactions: 1 user
In-state interview received! Was starting to get nervous.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Is there an admissions disadvantage to applying to either campus? Like is it harder vs they're viewed the same

Are there any current students/M3s who can describe some of the differences between the Connecticut and Vermont campuses?

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who interviewed, can someone remind me if they accept letters of interest post interview?

Is there an admissions disadvantage to applying to either campus? Like is it harder vs they're viewed the same
They mentioned that they are campus blind when making the admissions decisions.

Also, CT only has 35 students and it’s mainly for people who value community health, small class sizes, global opportunities (such as going to Russia or Vietnam), and rural health. I may apply to the CT campus just for the smaller class size.

Reactions: 2 users
They mentioned that they are campus blind when making the admissions decisions.
Wait I'm confused. When do you get to choose the campus. There was no option for me to do that on the secondary. I actually am just now learning there is another campus.

Wait I'm confused. When do you get to choose the campus. There was no option for me to do that on the secondary. I actually am just now learning there is another campus.
After your interview they send you a link to select your campus (from what my interview email confirmation stated; I interview this Friday.).

Reactions: 8 users
Current M2 here - definitely can attest to a really friendly and collaborative culture :) Happy to chat over DMs (with anyone) if you have specific questions. Also, interview days this year have scheduled student panels in the afternoons (non-evaluated) and a handful of entirely student-run Q&A Zooms throughout the fall as well so lots of chances to hear multiple opinions!
Are NBME questions used throughout school? Or are exams created by in-house professors and mostly unrelated to Step 1?

My thoughts: also I can't share the MMI stations because I signed a legal document.
The MMI stations were nice! Really thought provoking questions and a really tough ethical question.
Don't be nervous for the MMIs. Just be yourself and have fun. The team work exercise was also nice and everybody was really sweet. The school seems to value social justice and team work. Team work not only for the students, but the students interacting with the community of Vermont. The school seems to pride itself on having an older population of students and also having students from underrepresented groups, such as LGBTQ individuals. Overall, Vermont is a great school and values the applicant and their experiences. Also, don't be hesitant to include personal examples in the MMI questions; it's encouraged.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Are NBME questions used throughout school? Or are exams created by in-house professors and mostly unrelated to Step 1?
Exams are created by our faculty and are not NBME questions. Most are said to be NBME "style" i.e. case vignettes with imaging, lab results etc. to interpret but not strictly from any official source, as far as I know. During M1 and M2, we do take 5-6 exams that are all official NBME questions. Those exams are cumulative and curated to our most recent course and usually are the day after our non-cumulative class exam, so they encourage us to just take it and see how much we've retained instead of stressing and overstudying. It's worth maybe 5% to the course grade so certainly low stress and then you get a score report for how well you did relative to the class in different topic areas.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think we'll get decisions on the 15th or 17th?
For those who interviewed in August they said we would hear back after October 17th, but they didn't give us an exact day.

I had an awesome interview experience, the school seems fantastic and dedicated to all the right values. I'm anxiously awaiting their decision... really really hoping for this A!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed mid-August and didn't hear anything today

Interviewed mid-August and didn't hear anything today
Same. Guess we just have to wait patiently! If I recall correctly they said we would hear around mid-October but no definitive date was given.

I literally emailed Bernie asking for a letter of rec or some help— anything. He has not responded. I’m not joking. I hope we all do well here.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
interviewed 9/28... this wait is absolutely killing me... i enjoyed the whole interview experience but feel like i didn't perform as well as i could have. anyone in a similar boat?

interviewed 9/28... this wait is absolutely killing me... i enjoyed the whole interview experience but feel like i didn't perform as well as i could have. anyone in a similar boat?
interviewed 9/21 and feel the exact same. stay strong!!

Just got the A also!!!! Interviewed 8/23 :)

Reactions: 9 users
Delayed decision as well, anyone got any idea if it's a soft-R? I assume it's probably best to try to forget about hearing back for a while.

Delayed decision is not a rejection; you might (or might not) be accepted later.

Is it akin to WL?
I think it’s sort of like that…what does their website say? (I’m just remembering from a few years back when my child applied).

I think it’s sort of like that…what does their website say? (I’m just remembering from a few years back when my child applied).
Yup, I believe it is! It says Accepted, WL, or Rejected can be your post-II status