2022-2023 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now. 512, 3.95, Texas res, URM, no research, no ties. Voted for Bernie!!! Completed 7/1/22

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am truly living for this positive energy on here!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone provide insight on the culture of this school? Hopefully the students there are as nice as the people in this chat

anybody know what the team building exercise consists of for the interview day?

Reactions: 1 user
Have any in-state applicants heard from them? According to MSAR there's about 85 IS applicants every year, of which 73 get interviews. I haven't heard from them as an IS applicant but I'm applying primarily MD/PhD and I'm not sure if it's because my resume is so clearly MSTP-oriented or if IS applicants are in a separate pool. LM 82.5 and 13 MD/PhD IIs so far.

Can anyone provide insight on the culture of this school? Hopefully the students there are as nice as the people in this chat
Not sure if this answers your questions, but here is what Vermont just sent me:

Dear MCAThiccy,
We are exceptionally proud that you have scheduled an interview/recruitment day with Larner College of Medicine. Attached you will find further information regarding the college. If you have any further questions, please email the school or call us directly at 802-656-2154 or [email protected].

Vermont Integrated Curriculum Diagram

Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship

Student Financial Services Welcome

Video - Welcome from Dr. Zehle

Virtual Tour: Vermont Campus

Virtual Tour Connecticut Campus

Clinical Campus FAQs

Members don't see this ad :)
Current M2 here - definitely can attest to a really friendly and collaborative culture :) Happy to chat over DMs (with anyone) if you have specific questions. Also, interview days this year have scheduled student panels in the afternoons (non-evaluated) and a handful of entirely student-run Q&A Zooms throughout the fall as well so lots of chances to hear multiple opinions!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Current M2 here - definitely can attest to a really friendly and collaborative culture :) Happy to chat over DMs (with anyone) if you have specific questions. Also, interview days this year have scheduled student panels in the afternoons (non-evaluated) and a handful of entirely student-run Q&A Zooms throughout the fall as well so lots of chances to hear multiple opinions!
Can I ask about your app cycle with UVM -- when you got your II/A? Do you think a lot of people in your class heard back very early or was it evenly spaced, etc?

Do you guys think it’s too late to submit my primary now? It’s already verified etc thankfully. Wasnt thinking about Vermont until I did a heavy read through their website and think it would be a great fit. I’m also non trad and don’t have a non-science LOR. Have 2 science and then 5 clinical research/doctor/employment LORs.

Do you guys think it’s too late to submit my primary now? It’s already verified etc thankfully. Wasnt thinking about Vermont until I did a heavy read through their website and think it would be a great fit. I’m also non trad and don’t have a non-science LOR. Have 2 science and then 5 clinical research/doctor/employment LORs.
I say apply and email them for a waiver. Its what I did, I didn't meet the exact requirements and they gave me a waiver

Can I ask about your app cycle with UVM -- when you got your II/A? Do you think a lot of people in your class heard back very early or was it evenly spaced, etc?
Hmm, anecdotally, I feel like it was pretty all over the board. My II came in November, interviewed December, accepted February. But by comparison, one of my current roommates interviewed the same day I did, was initially waitlisted, and then accepted ~1-2 months after (maybe shorter). I sort of recall waves of acceptances going out about once per month, but no one could pin down an exact pattern.

For the MMI, will there be both ethical and traditional questions? Not asking for specifics, but I guess I'm just a little unfamiliar with the MMI process. Do most schools ask a mixture of these questions divided over stations?

For the MMI, will there be both ethical and traditional questions? Not asking for specifics, but I guess I'm just a little unfamiliar with the MMI process. Do most schools ask a mixture of these questions divided over stations?
From what I’ve seen, it’s a mixture more heavily leaning on ethical scenarios and what would you do situations. Some classics like “tell us about yourself”, “ describe yourself as a listener”, and “describe a time you were resilient” were asked of me from several schools.

From what I’ve seen, it’s a mixture more heavily leaning on ethical scenarios and what would you do situations. Some classics like “tell us about yourself”, “ describe yourself as a listener”, and “describe a time you were resilient” were asked of me from several schools.
Thanks, this is super helpful :')!

• Care
I am also an M2 and am glad to answer questions anyone has! Feel free to DM or ask here.

I am also an M2 and am glad to answer questions anyone has! Feel free to DM or ask here.
Hey M2! I hope you’re getting ready for Step! As for the MMI, was there a Why Us? Question?
As for the school, what do you think you’d change or add to the school? What are some of the things you like about Vermont and the area of Burlington? What are some of the things that your classmates and friends do for fun? In regards to the school what is something that you really love about the school? If you can say something for future and current applicants, what is your advice in looking for a school and why should we choose Vermont over other schools in your opinion? And thank you I know I asked a lot of questions but Vermont is kind of a top choice for me right now.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
I was wondering about how UVM incorporates the medical humanities into their curriculum, if at all? Additionally, do they have a big focus on psychosocial aspects of medicine, like social determinants of health? Do they also place importance on student activism?

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
I was wondering about how UVM incorporates the medical humanities into their curriculum, if at all? Additionally, do they have a big focus on psychosocial aspects of medicine, like social determinants of health? Do they also place importance on student activism?
M1 here. In terms of humanities we have small group led sessions where we discuss various topics around medical school, medicine, stress etc. Usually pretty nice and you get to meet and really get to know the people in your group. Privacy and non disclosure is mandated there as we tend to go deep into fairly personal issues too. We also have ethics as part of the first year curriculum which is pretty nice and social determinants of health are a major topic. In terms of student activism, I am not too sure, but an M2 would probably answer the question better.
Hey M2! I hope you’re getting ready for Step! As for the MMI, was there a Why Us? Question?
As for the school, what do you think you’d change or add to the school? What are some of the things you like about Vermont and the area of Burlington? What are some of the things that your classmates and friends do for fun? In regards to the school what is something that you really love about the school? If you can say something for future and current applicants, what is your advice in looking for a school and why should we choose Vermont over other schools in your opinion? And thank you I know I asked a lot of questions but Vermont is kind of a top choice for me right now.
Change/add - First semester curriculum is honestly pretty difficult in terms of just the sheer spread of information. Later semesters become far more focused, but learning what feels like a billion subjects at the same time is kinda tough. The mixture of lectures, small groups, and TBL is pretty weird, but I realistically only dislike the TBLs and they are fairly split up through the semester.

Vermont/Burlington - Very pretty. If you are outdoorsy, tons there. Haven't gotten to explore much and haven't survived the winter yet though.

Fun - Hikes are pretty popular. Trivia, bars, generally exploring the city.

Love about school/Why Vermont - VERY supportive and encouraging environment. True P/F, 1.5 year preclinical, recorded lectures, not a ton of mandatory attendance, lots of tutoring and support, amazing class that has been absolutely lovely to each other so far. Mind you the perspective is limited as an M1, but the overall experience is very welcoming.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
You know... at this point where I'm wondering if schools have even seen my app. I called to confirm that it was complete just in case something was missing.

The admissions office was super nice and then they said yes. Hurts even more now
Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
You know... at this point where I'm wondering if schools have even seen my app. I called to confirm that it was complete just in case something was missing.

The admissions office was super nice and then they said yes. Hurts even more now
oh do they read in order of submitted??

oh do they read in order of submitted??
Adcoms work in mysterious ways, I would not be able to tell you. My guess is that they throw all of our apps at the wall like spaghetti and read the ones that stick at this point

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Adcoms work in mysterious ways, I would not be able to tell you. My guess is that they throw all of our apps at the wall like spaghetti and read the ones that stick at this point
The frustration is SO real!!! I'm sending you a hug, friend!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

That meme touched me.... dang... more crying than laughing...

• Haha

Skip to like minute 35 and onward to hear how Vermont extends interviews and also about its screening process.

Is there a podcast ep from this series for most schools??? I haven't seen these before!!

Would that count as my it factor on my app??? Should i send an update??? pls advise
Only if you win best actor/actress in a leading role. I’ve heard about applicants who got nominated and didn’t win which led to them getting automatically rejected from every accredited medical school. Proceed with caution

• Haha
Only if you win best actor/actress in a leading role. I’ve heard about applicants who got nominated and didn’t win which led to them getting automatically rejected from every accredited medical school. Proceed with caution
omg you're right you're right. should wait until I've bagged the EGOT.

• Haha
Anyone who’s interviewed so far— did they tell you whenabouts they were sending out decisions? I interviewed last week and can’t remember if they said when (and if they did I didn’t write it down). UVM very swiftly went to my tippity top choice after how wonderful the whole interview day was, and now my poor anxious heart wants to prepare itself for whatever day decisions may be 🥲

Anyone who’s interviewed so far— did they tell you whenabouts they were sending out decisions? I interviewed last week and can’t remember if they said when (and if they did I didn’t write it down). UVM very swiftly went to my tippity top choice after how wonderful the whole interview day was, and now my poor anxious heart wants to prepare itself for whatever day decisions may be 🥲
They will accept you, Thiccy speaketh it so

I believe they said they begin sending out acceptances on and after October 17th

Any tips for people interviewing this week :')

Any tips for people interviewing this week :')
it was very low stress imo, the initial parts i was more nervous and i felt like i did worse so the best thing you can do is remain calm!! i'm also a fairly anxious person and i was worried about the group activity too but honestly it was fun and relaxed

just like any other mmi, just try to relax and answer the question to the best of your abilities by pulling from your experiences and making sure you consider all sides, good luck!

• Care
it was very low stress imo, the initial parts i was more nervous and i felt like i did worse so the best thing you can do is remain calm!! i'm also a fairly anxious person and i was worried about the group activity too but honestly it was fun and relaxed

just like any other mmi, just try to relax and answer the question to the best of your abilities by pulling from your experiences and making sure you consider all sides, good luck!
Thanks, this was super helpful :') as a fellow anxious person myself, this gives me ease haha