2022-2023 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
like why not reject the rest of us if interviews are supposedly done
I had friends previous cycles where they didn’t interview and they never explicitly received a rejection

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS applicants with an A yet or does anyone whose in the accepted GC know how many OOS or if any have been accepted (not from Idaho, not MD PHd)

Reactions: 1 users
Any OOS applicants with an A yet or does anyone whose in the accepted GC know how many OOS or if any have been accepted (not from Idaho, not MD PHd)
I know two friends have been accepted to the U. One from Montana and one without established residence anywhere.

• Care
Know any details about when they were accepted? I am surprised that there hasn't been an A on here since October...
One was accepted early November and the other last week.

Know any details about when they were accepted? I am surprised that there hasn't been an A on here since October...
I don’t have the excel sheet in front of me, but back at the start of December I spent time gathering all the reported acceptances from the past few years and found some trends (Classic crazy, obsessed pre-med thing to do 😅😅). At that point (early December), this cycle was on track with previous years, in terms of acceptances. So I think it’s a U of U thing.

I also found that most acceptances before February/April in prior years were given with 1-2 months from the interview date, generally 60-70 days being the upper end. I can share what I get off work. It’s disorganized and I basically stopped once I realized this year did not appear to have unique trends, even though it felt like there had been fewer reported acceptances.

I don’t have the excel sheet in front of me, but back at the start of December I spent time gathering all the reported acceptances from the past few years and found some trends (Classic crazy, obsessed pre-med thing to do 😅😅). At that point (early December), this cycle was on track with previous years, in terms of acceptances. So I think it’s a U of U thing.

I also found that most acceptances before February/April in prior years were given with 1-2 months from the interview date, generally 60-70 days being the upper end. I can share what I get off work. It’s disorganized and I basically stopped once I realized this year did not appear to have unique trends, even though it felt like there had been fewer reported acceptances.
Love it! Thanks for being so thorough. I'm really interested in seeing the trends you've charted, even if the data is incomplete/disorganized. It sounds really helpful.

Love it! Thanks for being so thorough. I'm really interested in seeing the trends you've charted, even if the data is incomplete/disorganized. It sounds really helpful.
Oh cool! I’ll send it later tonight.

• Care

I think it’s been quite different this year due to the much shorter period of interviewing. Last year it was much more consistent with 1 month post interview a few people from each interview date would get in.

I think it’s been quite different this year due to the much shorter period of interviewing. Last year it was much more consistent with 1 month post interview a few people from each interview date would get in.
It does seem different this year, especially due to the shorter period of interviewing.

Still, I'm interested to see what kind of data Benja99 found. It's difficult to rely on forums for solid answers, as not everyone who receives an A will actually post. Maybe Benja99 also incorporated data from CycleTrack?

I'm here. I only looked at SDN self-reported stuff. So very, very, very unscientific. I didn't use CycleTrack because, when I did this, there was more information from SDN than what they had. I think they've reported more rejections since then. The last time I updated the excel sheet was the first week of December. It's pretty disorganized because I made it for myself. The dates in the table and on the x-axis of the graphs are going to be odd- go by the dates in the titles and off to the side. In order to compare years in excel, I found the easiest way was to have them all during the same year. I know the days are going to be a bit off but I broke it down in two week increments and it's self-reported data anyway. As you can tell, I stopped finding the average time between interview and acceptance because I realized I surpassed the longest period from one year and just gave up with the other years, lol.

Also, I had to use "test" rows here and there in order to keep the dates on track with each other. I removed the "test" samples from the graphs on the far right, and you can count and remove them mentally from the graphs in the middle... I'll try to answer any questions but please remember, I was doing this for myself and I had to jump through soooo many hoops because of excel. Also I have an interview tomorrow so I won't be able to answer until the night or following day.

I notated all the names of the account to make sure I had no duplicates and reduce the chance for errors. Our handles are public anyway, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Hope you find it useful,
Ben M

Attachments

• Utah.xlsx
    68.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm here. I only looked at SDN self-reported stuff. So very, very, very unscientific. I didn't use CycleTrack because, when I did this, there was more information from SDN than what they had. I think they've reported more rejections since then. The last time I updated the excel sheet was the first week of December. It's pretty disorganized because I made it for myself. The dates in the table and on the x-axis of the graphs are going to be odd- go by the dates in the titles and off to the side. In order to compare years in excel, I found the easiest way was to have them all during the same year. I know the days are going to be a bit off but I broke it down in two week increments and it's self-reported data anyway. As you can tell, I stopped finding the average time between interview and acceptance because I realized I surpassed the longest period from one year and just gave up with the other years, lol.

Also, I had to use "test" rows here and there in order to keep the dates on track with each other. I removed the "test" samples from the graphs on the far right, and you can count and remove them mentally from the graphs in the middle... I'll try to answer any questions but please remember, I was doing this for myself and I had to jump through soooo many hoops because of excel. Also I have an interview tomorrow so I won't be able to answer until the night or following day.

I notated all the names of the account to make sure I had no duplicates and reduce the chance for errors. Our handles are public anyway, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Hope you find it useful,
Ben M
Your Excel charts look amazing, and the data is very helpful, Ben! I'll look it over more thoroughly tomorrow.

Good luck on that interview! Clearly, you've got this! :giggle::thumbup:

Sad Heart GIF by LINE FRIENDS

Wondering if we should be worried if we haven't heard back yet...interviewed in October.

Wondering if we should be worried if we haven't heard back yet...interviewed in October.
Same but I interviewed August 29th. However if acceptances are still being given for August 19th I have hope

Yeah from my understanding, they rank applicants based on 3 factors: 1) GPA/MCAT, 2) application, and 3) interview. You get a composite score and rank you against all the applicants who interviewed. They pull the top people from their list whenever they are gonna send acceptances. So an earlier interview means they presumably liked you more on paper, but interview matters a lot in your score, and supposedly they go more in depth on your application (P.S., LORs, secondary, etc) after the interview. Anyway, the point is that they rank you, so the date on which you interviewed is irrelevant at this point from my understanding. It just depends on the score you have and where you rank.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah from my understanding, they rank applicants based on 3 factors: 1) GPA/MCAT, 2) application, and 3) interview. You get a composite score and rank you against all the applicants who interviewed. They pull the top people from their list whenever they are gonna send acceptances. So an earlier interview means they presumably liked you more on paper, but interview matters a lot in your score, and supposedly they go more in depth on your application (P.S., LORs, secondary, etc) after the interview. Anyway, the point is that they rank you, so the date on which you interviewed is irrelevant at this point from my understanding. It just depends on the score you have and where you rank.
huh? wdym your understanding? where is any of this coming from

Yea I don't think this person is correct, because faculty have told me they are blinded to GPA/MCAT of the applicants during the ranking process. Also, from what I remember, they openly disclose that this is the case during the interview process.

Yea I don't think this person is correct, because faculty have told me they are blinded to GPA/MCAT of the applicants during the ranking process. Also, from what I remember, they openly disclose that this is the case during the interview process.
This is what I understood from what was shared in my interview as well! GPA and MCAT aren’t considered last interview stage.

This is what I understood from what was shared in my interview as well! GPA and MCAT aren’t considered last interview stage.
No but they are right that you get a score for GPA and MCAT in addition to everything else. Everyone gets a total score and are ranked by the score.

On both my 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 interview dates, in Dr. Chan's introductory presentations, he specifically mentioned that the U scores each applicant based on three categories: GPA/MCAT, primary & secondary applications, and interview. Last year on his PPT, it showed that each factor carries approximately ~30 - 33% weight of a total score. Scoring implies rank.

Additionally, during the U's Application Feedback sessions, UUSOM staff confirmed that GPA/MCAT factors into ranking. They also confirmed that faculty interviewers don't have access to your GPA/MCAT scores.

edit: specifying that the 30-33% weight was on Dr. Chan's 2021-2022 PPT.

I could be wrong here, but I believe all admissions committee have at least partial access to GPA/MCAT.

It's very possible that the U has a blinded system of review, where students are automatically ranked by GPA/MCAT and offered interviews. From there, any input from applications and interview may adjust the ranking accordingly.

Yes sisteine is correct. I’ve heard this from UofU admission committee members. Also, you can look this up on the UofU school of medicine YouTube page.

Dr. Chan has like 8 videos or so on how to be a competitive applicant and how the UofU admission process works. From my understanding, it is correct that your evaluators are blinded to your GPA/MCAT at all points in the process to reduce evaluator bias. They give you an interview based on your GPA/MCAT and a preliminary review of your application. The ADCOMS who score your application don’t have access to your stats.

Once your interview is complete, the selection committee discusses and gives your interview a score. They also dive deeper into your application focusing on the quality of writing, diversity of experiences, etc (according to the video). Again, the selection committee is blinded to your stats. Once the selection committee gives you a score based on your interview and application, the dean or whoever separate from the committee plugs your GPA/MCAT back into the equation and gives you a final score/rank.

If the video link doesn’t work, just type into YouTube, “Concept of Holistic Review University of Utah School of Medicine.”

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
Yeah GPA/MCAT gets you an interview, but Chan did say during the presentation that past that stage it doesn't matter at all past that point

Yeah GPA/MCAT gets you an interview, but Chan did say during the presentation that past that stage it doesn't matter at all past that point
Yeah I agree with that. Every med school is different, but for the U specifically, your MCAT/GPA gets scored before the interview, and they’re not gonna rescore your stats further past the interview. But obviously, a higher gpa/mcat helps. My original point is that you are scored on the three components: stats, interview, application, from which the U will place you on a rank list. So even though someone interviewed in, let’s say, December, they could of crushed their interview and be sent to the top of the rank list. Again, to preface all this, I’m not an ADCOM, so take this with a grain of salt. This is what I understand from listening to UofU ADCOMS and YouTube videos.

Yeah I agree with that. Every med school is different, but for the U specifically, your MCAT/GPA gets scored before the interview, and they’re not gonna rescore your stats further past the interview. But obviously, a higher gpa/mcat helps. My original point is that you are scored on the three components: stats, interview, application, from which the U will place you on a rank list. So even though someone interviewed in, let’s say, December, they could have crushed their interview and be sent to the top of the rank list. Again, to preface all this, I’m not an ADCOM, so take this with a grain of salt. This is what I understand from listening to UofU ADCOMS and YouTube videos.
I concur with this. In my interview last year Dr. Chan said this almost same thing about rank. However, I did not hear it explicitly this year but I would be surprised if they changed the whole system between this year and last year.

Someone bless the thread with good news today 🤩

Reactions: 5 users
Just got published for the first time! :soexcited:

I thought the U didn't take application updates, so I looked at their FAQ page. It said: "application updates or additional information provided to the Office of Admissions after final notifications are made will not be considered." Final notifications happen in March, though.

Sooooo . . . I emailed the school to ask if they take updates! I'll let you guys know what they say.

Just got published for the first time! :soexcited:

I thought the U didn't take application updates, so I looked at their FAQ page. It said: "application updates or additional information provided to the Office of Admissions after final notifications are made will not be considered." Final notifications happen in March, though.

Sooooo . . . I emailed the school to ask if they take updates! I'll let you guys know what they say.
I’m pretty sure they don’t. I’ve read a few times where it says no updates and they already have enough information to make a decision.

I’m pretty sure they don’t. I’ve read a few times where it says no updates and they already have enough information to make a decision.
To be honest, I believe you're right. At this point, being my second application cycle with them, I'm definitely going out on a limb to ask.

If you’re gonna go out on that limb, will you also go out the limb where one of us asks them when we can expect some decision?
Hah! Last cycle, I had a friend who applied to only Michigan schools. Since I didn't apply there, I called and asked them for updates, as it literally could not affect my application. Maybe my friend will return the favor, LOL.

I already emailed about a month ago. I asked what email address I should the update letter I wrote and they said they don't accept them.

I interviewed back in August, so I forget what they said. Can someone who interviewed recently remind me about the situation with the decisions? Do they sprinkle a few here and there then dish the rest out at the end? Or do they give all the immediate acceptances for each interview group as they go? I don’t remember and I’ve just become disillusioned. If no else does, I’ll just email and ask also.

From my understanding, they will accept applicants from each interview cohort who 'score enough points' approx 1 month after they are reviewed/voted on. As far as the acceptances given after that period (purely speculation) come from lowering the 'score' threshold for students to be accepted until they have enough to fill the class and anyone below that threshold gets WL or Rejected. If it is true that there is a wave of acceptances in March, and not just optimistic guesses on SDN, then I would imagine that they lower the 'score' threshold accordingly after all interviewees have been voted on and scored by the admissions committee, they finish in voting march. Again, most of this me extrapolating from the very little I know.

So are they done interviewing or what? I’m confused? Why not just give us an R then?

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
I know it probably shouldn't and the idea is unreasonable, but I begin to lose confidence in a school's administration and their emphasis on student well-being in these cases - it isn't that difficult to communicate with applicants en masse and give them an update on where things are at in the process, when we can expect further communication, etc.
Personally, I believe your loss of confidence is both reasonable and valid. From what I've seen, no other school has "ghosted" applicants like I've seen here.

My current supervisor, a Ph.D. by training, said that it's important to carefully consider how each graduate program treats their applicants as a sign of how responsive and professional their administration will behave towards students later on. I'd be interested to see how this program would stand against others if it weren't the only allopathic school in Utah.

There's only a handful of us applicants in this thread, maybe we are just the unlucky ones this cycle and those with news aren't on sdn...