2022-2023 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've only seen the one ED applicant get an II. I still haven't heard anything...
Any ED applicants getting interviews? Lots of RD applicants have gotten them.
I am ED and got an II. I also received an email that says all ED applicants are interviewing August 26th.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has everyone gotten the second email saying the application is completed? I submitted 7/28 and my portal says completed but I never got the confirmation email saying my application was in review. The email I got after sending in secondaries said I should be getting the follow-up email.

Any else who has interviewed have technical issues during their MMI? I ended up with 5-6 minutes rather than 8 minutes for a couple of the interviews.

OOS II received, complete 7/13. Service heavy, clinical light app. LM score 73.

An hour later I received a rejection from my alma mater, but the II softened the blow.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else receive an II 10 days before the only interview date, and also an email to take an online assessment at least 10 days before the interview? That feels unreasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else receive an II 10 days before the only interview date, and also an email to take an online assessment at least 10 days before the interview? That feels unreasonable.
Yes. It was very annoying. I work nights and woke up to having to do the prerecorded interview thing right before my shift.

But the good news is that i got an interview invite! Very excited. OOS, but in region (i guess?).

Does anyone know what format the interview day SJT takes? Is it similar to Preview?

Does anyone know what format the interview day SJT takes? Is it similar to Preview?
I am not familiar with preview, but for Utah's SJT you are given a series of mostly work-related ethical scenarios and for each scenario you are given four to six options of how to respond that you must rank on a scale of 1 to 5 on their appropriateness (with 1 being something along the lines of "very inappropriate" and 5 being "very appropriate", I don't remember the exact wording, I felt it was a bit weird). You rank each response independently and it doesn't matter what rank you gave previous responses to determine what rank a given response should have (i.e. you could rank every single response for a question as a 5 if you wanted to).

I would say that for some questions there were some responses that were obviously good/bad, but a lot of the time it would be hard to say for sure what the "right" answer is. For many of the responses I think it would depend on the personal feelings of the person writing the test about the situations described. I remember reading somewhere that the SJT is like a "random number generator" with regard to how subjective the questions are, which I would tend to agree with.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about ED acceptances yet?

UPDATE: Got the call on 9/28!

II yesterday! This will be my first in the MMI format. Any advice for UoU specifically?

The questions they asked at University of Utah were much more grounded compared to other MMI's I've done. They didn't try to throw any curve balls. Make sure you actually think about and prepare for common interview questions. I really felt like the goal of the MMI questions I was asked was to see if I fit in with the specific culture here. Also you should just assume you're going to lose 1-2 minutes on each station due to technical difficulties trying to connect.

Last edited:
Got the notification that I’m placed in regular decision pool from the early decision pool. Is this a soft R? This happened last year too after applying ED. Will final decisions still be made March 15? Thanks

Got the notification that I’m placed in regular decision pool from the early decision pool. Is this a soft R? This happened last year too after applying ED. Will final decisions still be made March 15? Thanks
I wouldn't interpret it as an R- per the MSAR they only accepted 17 ED last year and had 125 matriculate. You may not have been in their "top 17" but that doesn't mean you won't be in their top 125!

Accepted! Applied ED, secondary submitted July 31, II on August 12, accepted today September 29

Reactions: 3 users
Any general advice for the standardized video interview? I’m probably doing mine later today and don’t really know what to expect

Any general advice for the standardized video interview? I’m probably doing mine later today and don’t really know what to expect
It’s roughly MMI format, but with only 2 minutes to respond since there’s no interviewer to prompt you. You get unlimited practice attempts so just practice until you feel comfortable, then do a few more. Good luck.

Thanks! Are the practice attempts the same questions as the real thing?

For RD, when would Utah send its response after interview?

During my interview (mid-August) they said they scatter them at any point from late October through March, but that most people tend to hear closer to March. They also said that your interview date doesn’t affect when they would notify you. So some who interviewed in august May hear nothing until March, others who interview in January May hear in February.

During my interview (mid-August) they said they scatter them at any point from late October through March, but that most people tend to hear closer to March. They also said that your interview date doesn’t affect when they would notify you. So some who interviewed in august May hear nothing until March, others who interview in January May hear in February.
Thank you

For RD, when would Utah send its response after interview?
In my interview, they said that the soonest we could hear back was 1 month after our interview date. The latest we could hear being in March, as another person here mentioned.

• Love
Interviewed first day and nothing yet... last year looks like they took their time sending out the first A's like a week or two

Just got the call from Dr. Chen!! Got the A!! Interviewed 8/19!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just missed a call from Dr. Chan... 👀

Edit: got an A!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just got the call from Doctor Chan!!! In state. Interviewed on 9/12. I cannot believe it!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call at 8:30 this morning and the email about an hour later! Has anyone started a group me yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone here apply for RUUTE Scholars? I'm IS, interviewed on 10/24, and was just sent a RUUTE Scholars Secondary Application survey.

I'm guessing this is sent to everyone who applied for RUUTE, right?

*edit: specifying RUUTE applicants.

Last edited: