2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II at 9:00 pm haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Same! Does everyone else just have one available II date? 😬

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II last night, RGV Native, URM, LM 74, Complete 8/15. I'm a bit worried that the interview is literally in less than one week. Oh well

Reactions: 3 users
II last night, RGV Native, URM, LM 74, Complete 8/15. I'm a bit worried that the interview is literally in less than one week. Oh well
literally me this past week lol. Were all 3 of your interview options on the same week?

literally me this past week lol. Were all 3 of your interview options on the same week?
All 3?! There was only 1 lol for Sept 16th. Also, how was the interview? I'm a bit confused is the interview day just two interviews at random times throughout that day and no info session/welcome etc?

All 3?! There was only 1 lol for Sept 16th. Also, how was the interview? I'm a bit confused is the interview day just two interviews at random times throughout that day and no info session/welcome etc?
There are instructions in your II email regarding the follow-up in person component. Did you apply ED or RD?

Whoops 4* and for me I had those options but they were all on the same week LOL. Yea it was only 2 30 min interviews with no info session. They didn’t let me know when my actual times were until the day before. They were also 7 hrs apart 💀. I’m pretty sure the rest of the “interview” will take place in-person (I think it’s a group interview? That’s what I see on my interview page on the portal). I also have received zero info on when that is. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Good luck!!

There are instructions in your II email regarding the follow-up in person component. Did you apply ED or RD?
I am RD
Whoops 4* and for me I had those options but they were all on the same week LOL. Yea it was only 2 30 min interviews with no info session. They didn’t let me know when my actual times were until the day before. They were also 7 hrs apart 💀. I’m pretty sure the rest of the “interview” will take place in-person (I think it’s a group interview? That’s what I see on my interview page on the portal). I also have received zero info on when that is. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Good luck!!
Thanks for the info good to know! Best of luck to you as well!

1662841937327.png

WHERE’S MY II?!?!

Reactions: 5 users
New interview dates popped up on the portal for anyone who needed them! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Latest incoming class profile (EY2022)

Couple of comments:
4738 applications means some of the 7,359 2021-2022 applicants did not apply to UTRGV, or did not complete the secondary
The diversity stats do not add up to 100%, because applicants don't have to check a box about their ethnicity

View attachment 358946
They are the most diverse school in the state 😀 ! How wonderful!

The very first year UTRGV existed, they did all their ED interviews in July and gave the applicants their answer, accepted or not, by July 31.

That was an equitable way to run an ED process, as those not selected could then be released to apply to the other TMDSAS schools and still be early in the application year.

Since then? Interviews in September and decisions in October. :mad:
No idea where you get your info.... the very first year they existed... EDP did not exist. 😳

No idea where you get your info.... the very first year they existed... EDP did not exist. 😳
That should read the very first year UTRGV ED existed. Will correct.
The first year ED applications were offered was the 2019-2020 application cycle, and the students accepted ED were informed before the end of July 2019.

Update:

Was just sent my two interview times (2 days from the interview). My open file is with a professor at the school, and the closed is with a medical student. Only an hour apart so not a lot of waiting time between them. Good luck all!

I got an II friday night and I'm seeing on my page that we will get our MMI prompt before the interview begins?? Is it a typo? I was under the impression that it was a normal 1v1 interview. I can provide screenshots too

I got an II friday night and I'm seeing on my page that we will get our MMI prompt before the interview begins?? Is it a typo? I was under the impression that it was a normal 1v1 interview. I can provide screenshots too
It is a typo!

My interview was great and very relaxed. No MMI!

My interview was great and very relaxed. No MMI!
for those of you interviewing, this was my experience last year as well! Everyone is super friendly and I know it's a cliché, but just be yourself and definitely make sure you know your 'why..' Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been interviewed this cycle? and has anyone attended the in person group interview yet?

How did it go
A professor and an MS4 interviewed me. They were both so wonderful and tried to take the stress out of the whole situation. I felt like we were able to connect, so just be yourself, and hopefully, you'll find some commonality in the interview. The interview really flew by for me. Just as someone mentioned earlier in this thread deeply understand your motivation for pursuing medicine and be able to articulate that succinctly and effectively. Good luck with the rest of your cycle and feel free to PM me if you have other questions!

Also, my partner received an II to UTRGV SOM yesterday, and the available dates were for four days next week, so it looks like they still have quite a bit of interview slots open so keep your heads up if you haven't received an II yet. Lots of time and slots left I imagine.

• Love
Also, my partner received an II to UTRGV SOM yesterday, and the available dates were for four days next week, so it looks like they still have quite a bit of interview slots open so keep your heads up if you haven't received an II yet. Lots of time and slots left I imagine.
I hope y’all both get in to the same school!

• Care
How's everyone else doing? Any other individuals who have interviewed? I wonder if last week was the first week of interviews

Just received an II today! First date available is tomorrow??? Last date is Thursday?? Stressed, but going to give it my all <3

I feel terribly about this, but is it unwise to withdraw my application or reject the interview? Truthfully, I had always planned to rank UTRGV last on my list due to location alone. With the in person interview, I feel even more inclined to do this. I’m just not sure it is smart to do so, given the “take what you can get” mentality. I have received interviews from 7 other texas MDs, all of which I would rank above UTRGV. I feel like I did well in every interview thus far. Should I withdraw my application?

I feel terribly about this, but is it unwise to withdraw my application or reject the interview? Truthfully, I had always planned to rank UTRGV last on my list due to location alone. With the in person interview, I feel even more inclined to do this. I’m just not sure it is smart to do so, given the “take what you can get” mentality. I have received interviews from 7 other texas MDs, all of which I would rank above UTRGV. I feel like I did well in every interview thus far. Should I withdraw my application?
You don't have an acceptance yet, so probably a bad idea in my mind. Also, what's wrong with the area? The RGV is a great place.

A bird in the hand is worth more than 7 in the nest. I wouldn't withdraw unless you have an A.

A bird in the hand is worth more than 7 in the nest. I wouldn't withdraw unless you have an A.
I feel terribly about this, but is it unwise to withdraw my application or reject the interview? Truthfully, I had always planned to rank UTRGV last on my list due to location alone. With the in person interview, I feel even more inclined to do this. I’m just not sure it is smart to do so, given the “take what you can get” mentality. I have received interviews from 7 other texas MDs, all of which I would rank above UTRGV. I feel like I did well in every interview thus far. Should I withdraw my application

Ask yourself if you'd rather reapply than go to UTRGV. If that's the case, then now is the time to withdraw I think. I asked myself the same question for SHSU, and though I felt bad, I ultimately decided to decline my interview. It's not fair to the school or other applicants otherwise.

I also withdrew from SHSU based on in person interview, tuition, and my willingness to attend a school that was pricey and so new. I withdrew (July) based on the thoughts that ese2 said.

I also withdrew from SHSU based on in person interview, tuition, and my willingness to attend a school that was pricey and so new. I withdrew (July) based on the thoughts that ese2 said.

Its tough for sure. The soonest interview dates i see open are for tomorrow and the 21st! Talk about short notice whew.

• Wow
Invited to group interview on September 30th today after the interview this past Friday.

Invited to group interview on September 30th today after the interview this past Friday.

Same. The short turnaround time is pretty hard for logistics but I’m trying to figure it out.

Same. The short turnaround time is pretty hard for logistics but I’m trying to figure it out.
I told them I cannot make it that day due to scheduling conflicts. I gave them two Fridays where I'm free relatively soon, but yeah it's a bit tough.

I told them I cannot make it that day due to scheduling conflicts. I gave them two Fridays where I'm free relatively soon, but yeah it's a bit tough.
They are just beginning interviews this month so I'm sure they can find a later date for those of you who need it.

Exactly!!! Completely ridiculous and unfair, I think.
So that is not true at all.. the very first year the school existed NO special programs were in place. They took in the first class and that is it.

Did they get back to you? I replied to their email but I’m going to call tomorrow. My kids and I are supposed to pick up our new puppy this weekend.

Did they get back to you? I replied to their email but I’m going to call tomorrow. My kids and I are supposed to pick up our new puppy this weekend.
I also couldn't do the 9/30 group interview and reached out to let UTRGV know. They emailed me back saying they understood and would let me know as October dates opened up. I was thankful to receive that news. I'm hoping they get back to you all about your need to reschedule. It sounds like it won't be a problem at all!

I also couldn't do the 9/30 group interview and reached out to let UTRGV know. They emailed me back saying they understood and would let me know as October dates opened up. I was thankful to receive that news. I'm hoping they get back to you all about your need to reschedule. It sounds like it won't be a problem at all!
Regarding "let you know as October dates open up," is this to imply that October is currently booked full and they will let you know if people cancel and vacate spots, or to imply that they have not released any October interview dates as of yet?

Thank you! I will call them tomorrow. I enjoyed my interview with them!