2022-2023 SUNY Upstate (Norton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By Application Status, I applied for MD/MPH so I assume that's the pathway name and I am just on Hold? Other people on Hold does it just say hold or are there other letters by your hold status?
Where is the "Application Status" tab/option on the portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone feels bad about themselves today please know I submitted the secondary like one month ago and I just today realized I never sent my casper score

Members don't see this ad :)
Also does it say "application preference" not entered for anyone else?

Just got an interview update! Does anyone know how to join a waiting list for an earlier interview date?

Great behind-the-scene info about the admissions process here:

Regarding interviews,
Starting an application in August is late. By the time they complete the application they are looking at 4-6 weeks turnaround from AMCAS and then the secondaries. By that time in the process (Sept/Oct) I have maybe 50 interview dates still available. 2020 students who have already submitted just received their secondary application last night. Many will complete it by the end of next week/beginning of next, and we screen in order of application complete. I had 1700 students load last night [The interview was recorded July 10.], so the applicant who waits until August is going to be behind all of those students. We have 800 interview slots in total, so when we only have 50 slots left it is really competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
Great behind-the-scene info about the admissions process here:

Regarding interviews,
When he says he has 50 interview slots available in Sep/Oct, does he mean he has those spots for the applications that were completed in September? Or does he mean when he is actively reviewing in September he has 50 spots left? If he meant the latter, that would mean even the August apps are 'late' for upstate

Members don't see this ad :)
When he says he has 50 interview slots available in Sep/Oct, does he mean he has those spots for the applications that were completed in September? Or does he mean when he is actively reviewing in September he has 50 spots left? If he meant the latter, that would mean even the August apps are 'late' for upstate
sounds like they mean completed in september, because those started in august likely wouldn't be complete in august

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like every time I check my portal there is a new thing lol... does anyone have 'Diversity Essay' now on their portal? I wrote and submitted this secondary weeks ago and don't remember a diversity essay (I applied MD/MPH).

I feel like every time I check my portal there is a new thing lol... does anyone have 'Diversity Essay' now on their portal? I wrote and submitted this secondary weeks ago and don't remember a diversity essay (I applied MD/MPH).
I don’t see diversity essay on my portal but I think they’re just referring to the one essay we had to upload (at least for MD there was only one)

For those who completed the secondary apps, what "note" do you have next to the "supplemental application" on the portal?

Guys please advise.So on AMCAS I marked myself as disadvantaged because of having to work throughout college to support myself due to lack of family income/contribution.I also elaborated on being a minority and the social disadvantages I faced.Upstate's disadvantaged question states you may consider yourself dis if you grew up in a medically or underserved or limited education resources background.Do you consider yourself within these descriptions?
In my case neither of these applies.So I should mark no right? Since they are only limiting it to these factors.Will this be a problem since AMCAS is gonna show I identified as disadvantaged but for diff reasons.Any help is appreciated!
Just following up on this, I'm in a similar situation (disadvantaged by AMCAS definition - working since high school to contribute to family income, etc.), but did not grow up in a medically underserved community or experience any limitations in educational resources (due to scholarships, etc.). Should I answer this question on the secondary? Any insight is appreciated!

Just following up on this, I'm in a similar situation (disadvantaged by AMCAS definition - working since high school to contribute to family income, etc.), but did not grow up in a medically underserved community or experience any limitations in educational resources (due to scholarships, etc.). Should I answer this question on the secondary? Any insight is appreciated!
I ended up not responding to this

Same question here, anyone have any advice?
I realized after the fact that I just listed my interests despite the 1800 char count limit... if they wanted more I certainly didn't provide it but I did write a long-shot "app update" doc explaining further just in case someone in admissions is feeling kind. I think a lot of people listed/were very brief.

Received secondary 7/19, submitted secondary 7/20, marked complete on 8/2 because of CASPer I took on 7/19.... OOS but strong ties to upstate NY. I know the IS person above received an II literally 2 days after complete app like on 7/1... should I be worried or just assume that because I'm OOS they might be taking a longer time to look at my app?

Stats similar to IS II person's... 507 MCAT, 3.70 GPA, non-trad, tons of clinical exp. and somewhat in depth pop. health research for master's thesis

Received secondary 7/19, submitted secondary 7/20, marked complete on 8/2 because of CASPer I took on 7/19.... OOS but strong ties to upstate NY. I know the IS person above received an II literally 2 days after complete app like on 7/1... should I be worried or just assume that because I'm OOS they might be taking a longer time to look at my app?

Stats similar to IS II person's... 507 MCAT, 3.70 GPA, non-trad, tones of clinical exp. and somewhat in depth pop. health research for master's thesis
if it's any consolation i was complete 8/4 and haven't heard anything

II today!! My first one so super excited! ORM IS LM 71 completed 8/17

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II just now. Completed 8/4/22. LM 71. So excited!!! :’)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Seems like upstate skipped over most of July

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Just got put on hold. Can someone remind me whether hold at upstate is a soft R or not

Reactions: 3 users
IS OOS just placed on hold as well. This is my top school and one of my letter writers is an alumni from Upstate so this breaks my heart a little :/ Hoping this isn’t a soft R but wouldn’t be surprised if it is…

Hold just now. Complete 7/28. OOS with ties to NY. Stats in signature.

Looking back at last years threads, it seemed people who were on hold DID get either interviewed or rejected, so it doesn't seem like a soft R!

Reactions: 7 users
ngl, I’m kind of excited to be a part of this “on hold” bloodbath. Makes me feel less alone lmaoo.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users