2022-2023 SUNY Upstate (Norton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the complete email different from the secondary received email?
Yup, I submitted the secondary a week ago with confirmation, and just got the complete email today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, I submitted the secondary a week ago with confirmation, and just got the complete email today
Is that the one that says "Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University. Your application has been received!"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all
Do you think if I didn't answer the "what specialty are you interested in"question, I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage? It's just that I don't know how it's gonna come across and I don't want them to assume things about me.

Hey all
Do you think if I didn't answer the "what specialty are you interested in"question, I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage? It's just that I don't know how it's gonna come across and I don't want them to assume things about me.
are you referring to this question? "If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?"

I forgot because I submitted but if you're over some number of characters, a prompt pops up. I think its 1500 but to be totally honest, I don't remember
Just figured out it's 1800 characters - well at least the first question about the current academic year is an 1800 character limit

Just figured out it's 1800 characters - well at least the first question about the current academic year is an 1800 character limit
is it 1800 characters including spaces?

Does anyone else currently have all requirements received except for letters of recommendation on the application summary page?

Does anyone else currently have all requirements received except for letters of recommendation on the application summary page?
Same, did you also just receive an email about being incomplete? Every other school I applied to has received my letters so idk what's going on

Same, did you also just receive an email about being incomplete? Every other school I applied to has received my letters so idk what's going on
I just got that email too. When did you submit your secondary? I submitted mine 7/21, received 7/22.

I just got that email too. When did you submit your secondary? I submitted mine 7/21, received 7/22.
I just got that email too for the same reason even though all of my other schools have received my LORs. I submitted on 7/17, received 7/18.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 got an incomplete email earlier today and I logged in and didn’t see anything missing

I also got an incomplete email stating I was missing my LOR. I actually called them yesterday since it had been over a week that everything on my secondary app was complete except for the LOR. They said they are currently in the process of pulling in the LORs from the AMCAS system and if by next week it is still incomplete to reach back out.

I also got an incomplete email stating I was missing my LOR. I actually called them yesterday since it had been over a week that everything on my secondary app was complete except for the LOR. They said they are currently in the process of pulling in the LORs from the AMCAS system and if by next week it is still incomplete to reach back out.
Have the same issue

I had my LOR added to my account later that day after speaking/emailing them!

Their secondary question "Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice.' is crazy...
As a school, I can barley find what THEY have done to eliminate health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of injustice. I can't find any info about a free clinic, no info about community outreach programs helping communities who are experiencing inequities...I find that kind of ridiculous

Guys please advise.So on AMCAS I marked myself as disadvantaged because of having to work throughout college to support myself due to lack of family income/contribution.I also elaborated on being a minority and the social disadvantages I faced.Upstate's disadvantaged question states you may consider yourself dis if you grew up in a medically or underserved or limited education resources background.Do you consider yourself within these descriptions?
In my case neither of these applies.So I should mark no right? Since they are only limiting it to these factors.Will this be a problem since AMCAS is gonna show I identified as disadvantaged but for diff reasons.Any help is appreciated!

Guys please advise.So on AMCAS I marked myself as disadvantaged because of having to work throughout college to support myself due to lack of family income/contribution.I also elaborated on being a minority and the social disadvantages I faced.Upstate's disadvantaged question states you may consider yourself dis if you grew up in a medically or underserved or limited education resources background.Do you consider yourself within these descriptions?
In my case neither of these applies.So I should mark no right? Since they are only limiting it to these factors.Will this be a problem since AMCAS is gonna show I identified as disadvantaged but for diff reasons.Any help is appreciated!
To be fair, AMCAS' criteria for being disadvantaged is also focused on childhood times. Is your family low income? If that's the case, you can probably make it work somehow.

To be fair, AMCAS' criteria for being disadvantaged is also focused on childhood times. Is your family low income? If that's the case, you can probably make it work somehow.
Hey my family is not low income as of now. Should I just put no for upstate?

Hey my family is not low income as of now. Should I just put no for upstate?
the key term is "grew up as disadvantaged." If you were truly low-income in the past but things have gotten better, I think it really depends on how you perceive things. But if you don't really have a compelling reason, I don't think it will hurt you to leave that part blank.

If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year:

You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

Please upload an essay, under 500 words, answering the following question:
Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice. (500 words)

OOS Secondary received 6/12 verified 6/7.

@wysdoc

I think these are all the questions... the application system is pretty hard to navigate lol
so is there really no word limit except for the very last essay....? if so, how many words should I aim for without annoying the adcoms

Is anyone else applying to the Rural Scholars Program? Is the essay for the RSP the same as the regular secondary?

I had my LOR added to my account later that day after speaking/emailing them!
Should I email them about it if it has been a week and my LOR did not process into the portal yet?

Should I email them about it if it has been a week and my LOR did not process into the portal yet?
If it has been over week I would reach out just to touch base. Worse case they tell you to just wait a little longer and reach back out again the following week.

Received II today, secondary submitted 8/1, 515 MCAT, 3.89 cGPA, 3.91 sGPA, in state applicant.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry if this seems like a lazy question but Is this school OOS friendly? (I have seen some people recommending but I thought I'd ask active participants here.)

Sorry if this seems like a lazy question but Is this school OOS friendly? (I have seen some people recommending but I thought I'd ask active participants here.)
I’d say no unless you have ties to the area. I think the only OOS friendly-ish SUNY is stony

Reactions: 2 users
I’d say no unless you have ties to the area. I think the only OOS friendly-ish SUNY is stony

And even then stony still heavily favors IS student. The SUNYs are public state school so they prioritize NY students a lot.

Reactions: 4 users
And even then stony still heavily favors IS student. The SUNYs are public state school so they prioritize NY students a lot.
Slightly comforting to know that I didn't have much of a chance anyways as an OOS applicant with zero connections. Just realized I submitted my secondary referring to SUNY Upstate as just "SUNY." I am super burnt out and making a lot of mistakes. Need a day off to recharge honestly.

Reactions: 1 users
Slightly comforting to know that I didn't have much of a chance anyways as an OOS applicant with zero connections. Just realized I submitted my secondary referring to SUNY Upstate as just "SUNY." I am super burnt out and making a lot of mistakes. Need a day off to recharge honestly.

I mean its not wrong lol. Dw i imagine adcom are going thru thousands of applicants and wanna get through them. I can’t imagine referring to Stony brook as SUNY will even make a difference. They will most likely not even notice it at the speed they are reading through the apps

I submitted my supplementary this morning but when I checked the portal, it's still blank. Does this get updated once my app gets completed?
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 4.19.03 PM.png

this might be a dumb question but I realized I incorrectly list my ACT score but I can't remember which school it was. Does this school ask for ACT? if so, is it worth it to send an update?

this might be a dumb question but I realized I incorrectly list my ACT score but I can't remember which school it was. Does this school ask for ACT? if so, is it worth it to send an update?

Temple?

On the main menu for SUNY Upstate does anyone else see "Not Entered" in the Application Preference column in the Processed Applications section?

oh I misread. For me it was filled out when I was complete
yea my app isnt complete yet. Hopefully it updates once I get complete notification.....Upstate app portal is something else