2022-2023 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Nemo!!! I love you!! BTW, I showed the Klein bottle so you can piece who I am.
RIP, I showed up late to the desk show & tell near the end :'(
For those that have interviewed, how did y'all feel about the environment for the students since Baylor is known for being a major gunner school? I have my interview with them on Friday and I feel bad because I am going in with such a negative impression of the school. I currently am planning to rank schools like McGovern and UTMB higher since they advocate for such a collaborative environment, but based on the interview do you feel like the student body is slightly improving?
I definitely didn't get the impression that it was a gunner school - while all the students were clearly very smart (which I think goes for any medical school), they were super casual about how they talked with us. The post-interview panel was very straightforward and honest.
Hi friends! Nice to see you on zoom today @MCAThiccy haha. Does anyone know where to send interview thank you notes? I don’t think Baylor specified. Directly to the interviewers, to the admissions email, or upload to portal? Thanks!
I sent an overall thank you note to the interviewee admissions email + looked up my interviewers and sent personalized thank you notes to them as well! I think any way you reach out would be appreciated.

Sidenote: On the topic of the Temple campus, they said that student choice would be the #1 deciding factor. But it also seems that they have some selection for fit (e.g. Houston is better for those interested in research, while Temple is more geared towards those directly interested in pursuing primary care or in general "value-added healthcare." Also, they mentioned that they want REALLY entreprenurial students, since the site is basically being built from the ground-up. Complete hypothesis, but based on that answer, I think they might have space in that internal match form to list interested specialties or curriculum tracks you're interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn’t matching to the Temple location negate all the benefits of the TMC? If so, I imagine a lot more people will rank UTSW first to avoid that risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn’t matching to the Temple location negate all the benefits of the TMC? If so, I imagine a lot more people will rank UTSW first to avoid that risk.
If people interviewing have specific interest in going to Temple, it is possible they mentioned that in their essays and are being picked for an interview.

Thanks so much for the replies yall! They really help. I think I just based the gunner stuff off of the fact that everyone I know that goes to Baylor is super gunner and anti-social and I have heard many things about the school from other med students, but times are probably changing! Im an average stat URM who very much just wants to work in primary care with marginalized communities so not too sure how I got an interview with them in the first place, but I'm hoping to find the best med school to support my goals!
MS1 at Baylor here, before matriculating I was a bit worried Baylor would have a lot of gunners too but after meeting and getting to know everyone I saw that that was definitely not the case. The atmosphere is definitely collaborative and everyone is pretty friendly/approachable. You will be surrounded by a lot of very smart and high-achieving people but they're also humble and everyone is overall really cool.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
How do you guys feel about the other campus match? From what I’ve heard, 40 students will be matched there separately after match day. I have not received an interview from Baylor, but if I did, it would really cause me to question the #1 or #2 rank during match. The Houston campus is a huge draw for me. I can’t imagine the Baylor name would suffice if I had to go to temple. I feel like given this, UTSW is #1 followed by mcgovern, long, dell in no particular order. Does anyone feel similarly?

Reactions: 2 users
II Today, complete 7/27, LM 75. I'm about to head into my interview for another school so definitely was a nice confidence boost :)

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its been an interesting year for Baylor interviews. They normally get down under 77 later in the cycle but they are doing things differently - dont know if it is tied to Temple option and to get a better feel.

Its been an interesting year for Baylor interviews. They normally get down under 77 later in the cycle but they are doing things differently - dont know if it is tied to Temple option and to get a better feel.

Possibly. In any case, I’ve been trying to think of a way to let them know that I’m only interested in the Houston campus during the interview. I feel though it may come off as rude, but given the match system, I think it’s important they know this. For example, I would rather attend McGovern, and would rank them higher than Baylor, if I knew I would match Temple. Its a tough situation for sure.

Edit: I really hope the outcome is that there are enough students who express interest/ are indifferent to the temple campus, such that students won’t be matched to Temple, should they desire Houston. I’m sure most Baylor interviewees have “other options” so to speak, so it would be tough to leave other schools on the table given this.

Possibly. In any case, I’ve been trying to think of a way to let them know that I’m only interested in the Houston campus during the interview. I feel though it may come off as rude, but given the match system, I think it’s important they know this. For example, I would rather attend McGovern, and would rank them higher than Baylor, if I knew I would match Temple. Its a tough situation for sure.

Edit: I really hope the outcome is that there are enough students who express interest/ are indifferent to the temple campus, such that students won’t be matched to Temple, should they desire Houston. I’m sure most Baylor interviewees have “other options” so to speak, so it would be tough to leave other schools on the table given this.
I have a primary care focused app but would really like to go to Houston. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

There's only a handful of LM77+ applicants applying. For reference, I have a ~LM of 71 and received a II last cycle one year ago today lol.

Secondary received 7/1, complete 8/15, II received 8/25
IS ORM LM 73.5

There's only a handful of LM77+ applicants applying. For reference, I have a ~LM of 71 and received a II last cycle one year ago today lol.
They usually have a lot of OOS students applying with ridiculous stats since they tout themselves as the cheapest tuition among all privates. I would be curious to see stats comparing their OOS app numbers since they moved from AMCAS to TMDSAS.

I have a primary care focused app but would really like to go to Houston. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Admissions definitely knows people have preferences, and will account for it. There’s definitely people who are interested in temple first, A&M didn’t really have to force anyone to temple and I’ve heard pretty much everyone got to go where they wanted for A&M match. I think though, if you mentioned temple as your top choice in the essays, they’ll prob hold you to it. Anyone interviewing today have some more insight on temple?

Last edited:
I wish then that they’d have a question on their secondary where you indicate your preference.

Admissions definitely knows people have preferences, and will account for it. There’s definitely people who are interested in temple first, A&M didn’t really have to force anyone to temple and I’ve heard pretty much everyone got to go where they wanted for A&M match. I think though, if you mentioned temple as your top choice in the essays, they’ll prob hold you to it. Anyone interviewing today have some more insight on temple?
From the information session this morning, they really pushed the “one school two campuses” idea. They did mention, however, that the MD/MPH program would not be available at the Temple campus. Personally, I have questions about student groups at the new campus and I can report back with any info I get about that.

From the information session this morning, they really pushed the “one school two campuses” idea. They did mention, however, that the MD/MPH program would not be available at the Temple campus. Personally, I have questions about student groups at the new campus and I can report back with any info I get about that.
Adding to this! So apparently MPH is offered at Temple but only the 5 year program, not the 4 year program. The Temple campus does not offer a MD/PHD program unfortunately. As for student groups, the Temple campus will “follow the lead” of the groups at the Houston campus, but the groups will be separate from one another. Any interests group will have to be built from the ground up since it’s the first year. Something that I found surprising was that orientation and graduation will be combined between the campuses. Also, the mentorship at Temple will be with residents and fellows which seems like a great opportunity.

Adding to this! So apparently MPH is offered at Temple but only the 5 year program, not the 4 year program. The Temple campus does not offer a MD/PHD program unfortunately. As for student groups, the Temple campus will “follow the lead” of the groups at the Houston campus, but the groups will be separate from one another. Any interests group will have to be built from the ground up since it’s the first year. Something that I found surprising was that orientation and graduation will be combined between the campuses. Also, the mentorship at Temple will be with residents and fellows which seems like a great opportunity.
Did any admissions dean mention me by name? Also, thanks for the info Rudeplants!!!

When you submit a document on the AMP portal, does it just go through and not give you a receipt of upload? I don't want to try again and end up uploading the same thing twice.

When you submit a document on the AMP portal, does it just go through and not give you a receipt of upload? I don't want to try again and end up uploading the same thing twice.
It goes through and does not give you a receipt. You should be able to see your submission in the right hand side of the document upload portal though.

It goes through and does not give you a receipt. You should be able to see your submission in the right hand side of the document upload portal though.
The document upload portal looks exactly the same as it did before uploading for me, perhaps because I did and .doc and should have done .pdf. Maybe I should try a pdf instead

For those who interviewed today, how do you think it went?
Had one tough interviewer, though it probably just felt that way due to nerves. The second interview was just a fun conversation about a hobby of mine. The interview day was relaxed otherwise and the students seemed to be happy.

Hello! I recently interviewed at Baylor and got the email about the upcoming open house, however I’m working OOS and I don’t think I can travel back to TX in time. Is it okay if I don’t attend this open house and maybe try to visit later in the year? I don’t want to seem like I’m not interested - Baylor is one of my top choices. Thanks!

Hello! I recently interviewed at Baylor and got the email about the upcoming open house, however I’m working OOS and I don’t think I can travel back to TX in time. Is it okay if I don’t attend this open house and maybe try to visit later in the year? I don’t want to seem like I’m not interested - Baylor is one of my top choices. Thanks!
They understand the difficulty of traveling from OOS and there are limited number of seats for OOS. I think it would be bad for locals not to go since no one knows whether they can get some additional brownie points during the visit.

@wysdoc mentioned UTSW is doing the open house for admitted students and so Baylor's seems to be different.

@texasvandy is right, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to go to an open house, you can reschedule for a later date by replying to the email address that sent the open house invitation -- they have dates going into January.

They understand the difficulty of traveling from OOS and there are limited number of seats for OOS. I think it would be bad for locals not to go since no one knows whether they can get some additional brownie points during the visit.

@wysdoc mentioned UTSW is doing the open house for admitted students and so Baylor's seems to be different.
From Baylor after I emailed them:

Hi MCAThiccy,

Missing this session will not reflect on your application or the interviewing process. Open Houses are optional visits you are allowed to attend as this is only to limited applicants. The main goal is for you to have a better understanding and in-person tour of BCM – and a handmade lunch and lemonade.

If you cannot attend the September date, please submit a form with a future date. All open house dates are listed on the form.

Hi MCAThiccy,

Missing this session will not reflect on your application or the interviewing process. Open Houses are optional visits you are allowed to attend as this is only to limited applicants. The main goal is for you to have a better understanding and in-person tour of BCM – and a handmade lunch and lemonade.

If you cannot attend the September date, please submit a form with a future date. All open house dates are listed on the form.
Hmmm. Can you ask them to elaborate on the lunch options?

I don’t want them to delete my application for being needy bruh bruh
When you say handmade I sure hope it’s something along the lines of what my boy Remy the rat would make.

• Haha

Hi MCAThiccy,

So are they saying it is only for people invited to the interview or even more limited to select group of interviewees the way it is phrased?

Remember they are trying to sell you the school as much as you are trying to get in. So if they want you to attend BCM instead of another Texas school once they admit you, they want to impress you ahead of time.

I dont trust the note that says "it will not reflect on your application". Everything does and how you respond to these invites has a certain level of outcome. Agree with @birsi that rather than saying "I decline" ask for a different date to be on the good side.

I am of the opinion that if they are being selective of who they are inviting and not everyone who has been interviewed, they are trying to fill certain types of people and want to make sure they are interested. Let us assume they are primarily inviting URMs to see who is most likely to come, they can give priority of admission to those who show more interest. They dont have to negatively rate someone who didn't come but they can give priority to those who showed interest.

Simple statement of fact - "What is more important to medical school applicants than ensuring they avail every opportunity they are being given to optimize their chances?" You never know who you might run into that you can impress.

• Hmm
So are they saying it is only for people invited to the interview or even more limited to select group of interviewees the way it is phrased?
They told us about the Open House at their interview day and even told us that the invitation would go out on Monday to everyone (that had interviewed), so I do think that it is truly sent to all interviewees. Not sure of the impact that attending may have, but I unfortunately don't think it's an indicator of anything.

• Love

Remember they are trying to sell you the school as much as you are trying to get in. So if they want you to attend BCM instead of another Texas school once they admit you, they want to impress you ahead of time.

I dont trust the note that says "it will not reflect on your application". Everything does and how you respond to these invites has a certain level of outcome. Agree with @birsi that rather than saying "I decline" ask for a different date to be on the good side.

I am of the opinion that if they are being selective of who they are inviting and not everyone who has been interviewed, they are trying to fill certain types of people and want to make sure they are interested. Let us assume they are primarily inviting URMs to see who is most likely to come, they can give priority of admission to those who show more interest. They dont have to negatively rate someone who didn't come but they can give priority to those who showed interest.

Simple statement of fact - "What is more important to medical school applicants than ensuring they avail every opportunity they are being given to optimize their chances?" You never know who you might run into that you can impress.

They say this in their open house app and said something similar on interview day. I genuinely think it's open to all applicants TBH
You are cordially invited to attend Baylor College of Medicine's Open House. Open House opportunities are only extended to interviewed applicants to get a better feel and understanding of our campuses and includes informative and supplemental content.

Reactions: 1 users
They say this in their open house app and said something similar on interview day. I genuinely think it's open to all applicants TBH
It says "Interviewed" applicants. How are you going to figure out whether you like sitting in Baylor chairs compared to EnMed chairs? :)

Did you try walking around other campuses (UT, Baylor) while you were at Methodist? They are all walking distance.

IS II received today! LM 71 ORM. Absolutely surreal feeling. Got the II last year and I never thought they would invite me back again. Really hoping I don't fumble the bag this time.
Congrats homie, you got this! just practice practice practice

IS II received today! LM 71 ORM. Absolutely surreal feeling. Got the II last year and I never thought they would invite me back again. Really hoping I don't fumble the bag this time.
Congratulations on the revisit! We now know Baylor doesn't ghost reapplicants.

Baylor keeps inviting you because there must be something in your app that they see but I am not sure why the other Texas schools are not seeing it.

• Love