2022-2023 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably something to do with their insanely high stats. It looks like those students are being reviewed first
Baylor is changing things recently but they have always done high stats first similar to UTSW.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What defines "high stats" at Baylor?
I would say one has to meet the median of their matriculants or higher? Median GPA: 3.92. Median MCAT score: 518

LizzyM scores starting at 78 since matriculants medians are usually lower than admitted ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say one has to meet the median of their matriculants or higher? Median GPA: 3.92. Median MCAT score: 518

LizzyM scores starting at 78 since matriculants medians are usually lower than admitted ones.
Do you know if they interview invite at the start based on high stats alone or if it's still a holistic review?

Congrats! Any idea what make such quick turn around if you don’t mind to share.
Honestly, I don't know. As stated above, my MCAT is below the median while my GPA is above. LizzyM is a 75. My application is strong, but nothing crazy. I don't have any research experience. I'm not completely sure why I got an interview so quickly.

Also something to note, I took about a month to submit this secondary. So if you're stressed because you missed the two-week deadline, just a deep breath and relax.

Honestly, I don't know. As stated above, my MCAT is below the median while my GPA is above. LizzyM is a 75. My application is strong, but nothing crazy. I don't have any research experience. I'm not completely sure why I got an interview so quickly.

Also something to note, I took about a month to submit this secondary. So if you're stressed because you missed the two-week deadline, just a deep breath and relax.
You have a 517, you’re 1 point below the median. And you have a perfect GPA. Your stats are very high. My point still stands.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Any idea what make such quick turn around if you don’t mind to share.
I’m also really surprised to be honest how quickly the turnaround time was! Maybe it’s my research experience since Baylor is pretty research heavy? I have a published paper in Nature and have over 1000 hours of research experience. Or my stats since my LM is 82? Or maybe I’m just lucky that they happened to look through my application before a lot of other applicants’. It’s truly a mystery how schools go through applications and send out interview invites!

You have a 517, you’re 1 point below the median. And you have a perfect GPA. Your stats are very high. My point still stands.
High stats in general? Yes. But for Baylor? No. The school has an average LizzyM of 75.2, mine is a 75. I am also ORM. I'm just trying to point out that "high stats" is relative to the school in reference. My stats are low for NYU. That's what I was trying to communicate.

My statement for high stats pertains to early interviews, not whether people have a shot at an interview. I have known people who got an invite under a week as soon as secondary was submitted based on high stats.

Reactions: 1 users
II received this morning!! Realized it late because it went to my spam for some reason. Complete 7/21, LizzyM 74.5

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has already had their interview willing to share thoughts about how it went?

II today around 1pm! Complete 08/03.

Last edited:
  • Love
This is Baylor's second year on TMDSAS, so we don't have that much info on prematch. Though 1/7 students get prematches in general. I know UTSW is prematcch heavy. What do you think @wysdoc ?
I can’t generalize on the basis of 1 cycle as a TMDSAS school, sorry. A lot of Baylor applicants are from OOS too and they are not in the match system.

Reactions: 5 users
Baylor II received today (complete late June, LM 76)! But I'm having trouble confirming my interview date. They sent me a link and told me what day I would interview, but all the dates on the portal are greyed out and I can't click anything. Anyone else having this problem?

Baylor II received today (complete late June, LM 76)! But I'm having trouble confirming my interview date. They sent me a link and told me what day I would interview, but all the dates on the portal are greyed out and I can't click anything. Anyone else having this problem?
Congratulations! If you are still not able to confirm your date by the next day, call or email them to let them know.

For people with interviews, did you get a confirmation email after signing up for the social? The page acted kind of weird after I submitted the form, so I wasn’t sure if it went through or not. Ty!!

Also, the interview portal has the zoom link for the interviews. The day before (or the morning of your interview) you will have to sign your name and date. I don't think Baylor sends you an email with the zoom link. As for the pre-social, I hope to see y'all there! I love y'all!! <3

For the pre-interview social, has anyone received a zoom link in addition to the jotform?

The interview: Two traditional interviewers who can see your application and secondaries. Both are blind to your MCAT and GPA. Purely conversational and asked me about my ECs and time doing EMT/Scribing. Both were down to earth (both MDs) and felt more like a conversation. They said that the interview was to gauge who you are as a person and rank you from Mother Theresa to Serial Killer/Robot/Gunner.
As for the day, we begin with the deans telling us about the curriculum, which is being changed to a one year preclinical and you begin doing clinicals during your second year (like half way in).
As for the Temple location, you Match to Baylor and then do a separate Match to Houston or Temple. The computer determines this based on fit (I don't know how). 40 students will go to Temple.
Individuals who do the MD/JD or MD/PDH will go to Houston. MD/MPH may go to Houston or Temple.

Do NOT stress about your interview; the faculty are lovely and treat you as a person. They really look at your application and express genuine interest for you as a person.

As for me, I know that I post on Baylor a lot; this is my top choice. If I don't get in, that's okay! For future applicants: once you get that interview, you are equal to people who went to Princeton, Harvard, NASA, or the Moon. Be yourself!

I love you all! <3

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
TMDSAS match
Baylor match
NRMP match

So much matchmaking in this career path

Pre-Match for Baylor begins on 10/15/22 to 1/31/23 ("some prematch offers"). Not prematch heavy. 50 to 60 prematch offers on average.
Also Baylor made around 295 total offers last year for 185 seats. From what I've seen, Baylor begins sending prematches before thanksgiving (so around Mid to late November).

Last edited:
Pre-Match for Baylor begins on 10/15/22 to 1/31/23 ("some prematch offers"). Not prematch heavy. 50 to 60 prematch offers on average.
Also all the prematch offers DO NOT go out on October 15th, y’all. Baylor waits a bit and sends more starting in November.
TMDSAS prematch offers can go from October 15 to January 29.

Last edited:
  • Wow
The interview: Two traditional interviewers who can see your application and secondaries. Both are blind to your MCAT and GPA. Purely conversational and asked me about my ECs and time doing EMT/Scribing. Both were down to earth (both MDs) and felt more like a conversation. They said that the interview was to gauge who you are as a person and rank you from Mother Theresa to Serial Killer/Robot/Gunner.
As for the day, we begin with the deans telling us about the curriculum, which is being changed to a one year preclinical and you begin doing clinicals during your second year (like half way in).
As for the Temple location, you Match to Baylor and then do a separate Match to Houston or Temple. The computer determines this based on fit (I don't know how). 40 students will go to Temple.
Individuals who do the MD/JD or MD/PDH will go to Houston. MD/MPH may go to Houston or Temple.

Do NOT stress about your interview; the faculty are lovely and treat you as a person. They really look at your application and express genuine interest for you as a person.

As for me, I know that I post on Baylor a lot; this is my top choice. If I don't get in, that's okay! For future applicants: once you get that interview, you are equal to people who went to Princeton, Harvard, NASA, or the Moon. Be yourself!

I love you all! <3

You're in there! I just know it!!!

• Care
There will be 14 more interview sessions:
8/19/22 (around 70 students were interviewed on this date).
8/26/22
9/9, 16, 23, 30
10/7, 14, 21, 28
11/4/22
12/2, 9
1/6/23, 1/20/23

I love you all! <3
This is amazing info! Thank you <<33

• Love
THIS. Every single question I got was directly related to my application. I literally talked with one of my interviewers about Weezer and 90s alt-rock for 10 minutes. That was surreal for a med school interview, but also super appreciated :)
Just be able to casually talk about what you love to do, and I think you'll be fine!

Hopefully we both got in! Fingers crossed to see you again soon, future Dr. Thiccy. 😁

• Love
THIS. Every single question I got was directly related to my application. I literally talked with one of my interviewers about Weezer and 90s alt-rock for 10 minutes. That was surreal for a med school interview, but also super appreciated :)
Just be able to casually talk about what you love to do, and I think you'll be fine!

Hopefully we both got in! Fingers crossed to see you again soon, future Dr. Thiccy. 😁
Dr. Nemo!!! I love you!! BTW, I showed the Klein bottle so you can piece who I am.

• Haha
For those that have interviewed, how did y'all feel about the environment for the students since Baylor is known for being a major gunner school? I have my interview with them on Friday and I feel bad because I am going in with such a negative impression of the school. I currently am planning to rank schools like McGovern and UTMB higher since they advocate for such a collaborative environment, but based on the interview do you feel like the student body is slightly improving?

For those that have interviewed, how did y'all feel about the environment for the students since Baylor is known for being a major gunner school? I have my interview with them on Friday and I feel bad because I am going in with such a negative impression of the school. I currently am planning to rank schools like McGovern and UTMB higher since they advocate for such a collaborative environment, but based on the interview do you feel like the student body is slightly improving?
Baylor is a supportive school and I didn’t feel that ANY of the students invited to interview were gunners. Baylor literally splits you into squads when you get accepted and upper class men send you handwritten letters telling you they’re there to support you. They then have breakfast with you every week. Then the upper class men send you study resources that have been passed down from generation to generation for the past decade. I totally didn’t get the impression of gunners.

It’s not the gunner school in TX

Hi friends! Nice to see you on zoom today @MCAThiccy haha. Does anyone know where to send interview thank you notes? I don’t think Baylor specified. Directly to the interviewers, to the admissions email, or upload to portal? Thanks!

Baylor is switching to one year of classes?

Baylor is not a gunner school in the traditional sense that you'd have a hyper-competitive environment where no one is willing to share notes. That being said, definitely a much more stressful environment than McG or UTMB due to their in-house exams rather than NBME (double the work with 3rd parties) and test week structure. And of course, likely you'll be surrounded by incredibly academically gifted people who will make you feel inadequate at times. But that second part is just inherent to medical school in general, usually more so for top schools.

So long story short, environment definitely isn't gunner vibe, arguably no school in Texas is, but likely would be more stressful than McG or UTMB.

I love you all!

Weird, wonder how this is going to affect peoples rank lists for TMDSAS match for Baylor. It would be a pretty tough decision for people who get interview invites to UTSW and Baylor to risk the chance of getting temple if they want to live in a big city like Dallas/Houston. Surprised they aren’t doing something like mayos system, or did they ask y’all in any way for your preference of temple vs houston already?

Weird, wonder how this is going to affect peoples rank lists for TMDSAS match for Baylor. It would be a pretty tough decision for people who get interview invites to UTSW and Baylor to risk the chance of getting temple if they want to live in a big city like Dallas/Houston. Surprised they aren’t doing something like mayos system, or did they ask y’all in any way for your preference of temple vs houston already?
[/QUOTE]
@TexasHopeful52 there are certainly those who would want the Baylor name without the cost/urban stress of living in central Houston.

we had several students ask questions about Temple and expressed interest in it. They seemed to care more about small class sizes and rural health or having more support from other students and faculty when doing the MD/MPH

Thanks so much for the replies yall! They really help. I think I just based the gunner stuff off of the fact that everyone I know that goes to Baylor is super gunner and anti-social and I have heard many things about the school from other med students, but times are probably changing! Im an average stat URM who very much just wants to work in primary care with marginalized communities so not too sure how I got an interview with them in the first place, but I'm hoping to find the best med school to support my goals!

• Care
we had several students ask questions about Temple and expressed interest in it. They seemed to care more about small class sizes and rural health or having more support from other students and faculty when doing the MD/MPH
This is actually good. If there are enough people who really want to go to Temple, they should assign them early on and show how many seats they have already filled before match so people dont worry about 20% chance of allocation which is a pretty high probability to risk.