2022-2023 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More just curious since it’s not in the secondary how they’ll get people over there and who they’ll choose to interview there. If people think they might have a chance of getting forcibly sent to temple, might lower the chance applicants rank Baylor number 1?
I’m not sure what you mean by “how they’ll get people over there”?
Since this will be new in 2023 we will all be learning it together.
Other med schools that have more than one campus sometimes ask people for their preference or if the most popular campus gets filled will assign the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume that there are separate admissions for Temple vs Houston? They are actually starting a school in Temple independent of Houston campus and trying to reach 160 capacity over 4 years.

A&M would only send students there for rotations. However, BCM will have their classes in year 1 in Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume that there are separate admissions for Temple vs Houston? They are actually starting a school in Temple independent of Houston campus and trying to reach 160 capacity over 4 years.

A&M would only send students there for rotations. However, BCM will have their classes in year 1 in Temple.

Do we think this will be added to TMDSAS or asked about in the interview? I'm sure a bunch of people already submitted secondaries

Do we think this will be added to TMDSAS or asked about in the interview? I'm sure a bunch of people already submitted secondaries
This feels like how they did EnMED at A&M. First couple of years they said add a second application if you want to be considered for EnMed. Now they just split it up.

If they dont already do that in Baylor secondary asking for an extra supplement, may be they will just interview and then ask students if they want to be considered?

Lot of these are still evolving processes in year 1 and by next year they will be very clear in separate campus interviews (I am guessing).

After some digging on the FAQs, it appears that accepted students will rank their campus preference and be assigned beginning in April. You can make a request for reassignment if you have certain considerations such as a spouses employment, children's daycare or school enrollment, or special healthcare needs. This is definitely interesting... I don't know how many BCM students will willingly go to temple over Houston, especially with notification that late in the year

@texasvandy "reaching capacity at 160 over 4 years" means 40 students per year at that campus eventually totaling 160 (MS1 + MS2 + MS3 + MS4)

There's no need to add it to TMDSAS as a separate school (if that's what you meant), as it will be a second campus location of Baylor.
Many AMCAS schools have distinct campus assignments, all handled under the admissions umbrella of the flagship original school.

@texasvandy "reaching capacity at 160 over 4 years" means 40 students per year at that campus eventually totaling 160 (MS1 + MS2 + MS3 + MS4)
I was wondering how they could extrapolate the campus to be so big and this makes more sense.

I still think for a school with separate teaching of classes, it would eventually require separate admissions since there is nothing equal with just a BCM label attached to the school. It would be like UTSW adding a UT Tyler campus as opposed to UT Tyler doing their own admissions.

I was wondering how they could extrapolate the campus to be so big and this makes more sense.

I still think for a school with separate teaching of classes, it would eventually require separate admissions since there is nothing equal with just a BCM label attached to the school. It would be like UTSW adding a UT Tyler campus as opposed to UT Tyler doing their own admissions.
we can take this discussion off the Baylor-specific thread if you like - maybe to general TMDSAS questions thread 2022-2023

Members don't see this ad :)
all can submit one, check your junk mail or check Baylor's page.
Same as with UTSW, I received it but don't think I'll submit since I'm so far outside of their minimum stats from last cycle. Thanks!

II just now. URM, 512, 3.95, Is, no ties, no research. Submitted secondary the same day it was given. Verified on 5/18. Very honored and grateful.

Reactions: 4 users
IS II received 7/19 at 3 pm. LM 74.1, secondary complete 7/7. first II and I am so beyond grateful!

It looks like Baylor may be giving generalized admissions followed by assignments to either Houston or Temple this year. There is not much info on this, other than the admissions page. I am sure they will address this topic on interview day and have more information as the cycle continues.

However, posting so this is on the radar for people applying/interviewing at Baylor. I don't have any insight or answers beyond what's on the site.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

It looks like Baylor may be giving generalized admissions followed by assignments to either Houston or Temple this year. There is not much info on this, other than the admissions page. I am sure they will address this topic on interview day and have more information as the cycle continues.

However, posting so this is on the radar for people applying/interviewing at Baylor. I don't have any insight or answers beyond what's on the site.
I had asked a prof (I am sure he taught you anatomy!) and he checked with admissions and mentioned the same. It is a really odd way to admit students and then tell them much later where they belong.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I was a graduate/post-bacc student at Baylor this past year up until earlier this month. Your suspicions are right. They will admit you before asking for your preference for Temple or Houston. I imagine that if there is little interest in Temple, there might be some forced assignments...I guess we will see when the time comes.

I had asked a prof (I am sure he taught you anatomy!) and he checked with admissions and mentioned the same. It is a really odd way to admit students and then tell them much later where they belong.
University of Illinois does the same thing though most people would want Chicago

University of Illinois does the same thing though most people would want Chicago
@wysdoc - Baylor is a top 20 school and no one knows anything about the temple campus since it is brand new. Do they have different missions, reasons to attend one vs the other, how good or bad the teaching and rotations will be - applicants dont have a clue other than it will have Baylor stamp on their MD in the end. Columbia started a rural school about 6 years ago and made people apply to that program independent of their regular program so they knew who were interested in the rural medicine. In my opinion something similar would be equitable for applicants like asking them to sign something saying yes I am interested in Temple location rather than randomly assigning it.

Reactions: 3 users
This process leaves you wondering where you will be going for so long. Crazy to then have to wait longer to know if you're going to the well-established campus in Houston or a brand new space nearly 3 hours away. I don't think I have the stats to interview with Baylor, but it would be a serious concern of mine if I were ranking them for match.

Nothing against Temple as a city, but the security of knowing where I am attending medical school is valuable to me.

This process leaves you wondering where you will be going for so long. Crazy to then have to wait longer to know if you're going to the well-established campus in Houston or a brand new space nearly 3 hours away. I don't think I have the stats to interview with Baylor, but it would be a serious concern of mine if I were ranking them for match.

Nothing against Temple as a city, but the security of knowing where I am attending medical school is valuable to me.
The Temple campus is new this year, so I don't know everything in the details yet about how offers will be made.
If the campus assignment is divulged before Match Rank Preference time, a student can adjust his rank preference accordingly.
Those who only want the Houston location might move Baylor lower on their list due to the chance they will be in Temple, if the site placement is not known by the ranking deadline.
Again, I don't know when placements will be made and it is an individual choice for applicants to make.

The Temple campus is new this year, so I don't know everything in the details yet about how offers will be made.
If the campus assignment is divulged before Match Rank Preference time, a student can adjust his rank preference accordingly.
Those who only want the Houston location might move Baylor lower on their list due to the chance they will be in Temple, if the site placement is not known by the ranking deadline.
Again, I don't know when placements will be made and it is an individual choice for applicants to make.
It definitely poses an interesting dilemma during match if someone were admitted to both UTSW and BCM. :)

True. I hope they let the students know before match day to best inform their decision-making. I have a friend applying ED to University of Illinois and it's tricky navigating where they end up sending you.

I was a graduate/post-bacc student at Baylor this past year up until earlier this month. Your suspicions are right. They will admit you before asking for your preference for Temple or Houston. I imagine that if there is little interest in Temple, there might be some forced assignments...I guess we will see when the time comes.
I was a post bacc student as well. If I remember correctly, I remember someone mentioning that the Temple campus may be more rural focused. So if your app gives off a rural med vibe or interest in rural medicine, you may be more likely to end up at the Temple campus. Also the temple campus is only 40 students, so the vast majority of students are gonna end up at the Houston campus.

Yeah this is definitely a tricky situation to navigate. In the EY2022 cycle, the ranking deadline was February 18th. If it is similar this year, one would be locking in their list prior to knowing their Baylor campus since Baylor says on their site that campus assignments begin in April. I am certain that this will affect some folks' decisions on how high to rank Baylor. I think they'll adjust and figure it out over time, but this cycle will be interesting to watch unfold.

Last edited:
IS II just now!! I'm so so so excited <3

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II! Feeling over the moon. Completed 7/12, LM 78

Reactions: 1 users
II today, completed 7/20

Last edited: