2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off the AL at 10:41 this morning. Sent an LOI on 4/25 and I sent an update letter about a clinical volunteer position yesterday morning
Congrats! When were you waitlisted if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we conspiring that the CTE email may have gone to a secret high priority alternate list??
I don’t want to read into it, but I just don’t know why only some people got it or if we were grouped on a list together.

lol bro im not high priority these heads dont want me sigh

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Praying there's more acceptances coming shortly! Anybody else still have high hopes?

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
My hopes are at sea-level.
well, from someone whose hope reaches deeper than the wounds my premed advisor has inflicted on me, I commend you for your courage for staying relatively within normal boundaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say that yesterday when I called after receiving the CTE email, I was told that a different email was supposed to be sent to the alternate list so maybe after the accepted students submit their CTE on AMCAS there will be another wave, I think I just got lucky and someone gave up their seat

Reactions: 1 user
I will say that yesterday when I called after receiving the CTE email, I was told that a different email was supposed to be sent to the alternate list so maybe after the accepted students submit their CTE on AMCAS there will be another wave, I think I just got lucky and someone gave up their seat
Well the cte deadline isn't until July I believe so guess all of us gotta stay strapped for the long haul

Based on last years thread, it seems like a lot more people got off the WL this year! Whether the rest of us on the WL should take this news as good or bad remains a mystery.

• Hmm
I have noticed that the majority of people within May who got off the WL so far has been from the 4/22 group. Does anyone know if Downstate separates the WL where people within this WL cohort are considered higher priority than others who have been WL different days? Also, does anyone know if there is an overall ranking for how Downstate does the WL?

• Wow
  • Hmm
For people who got the "SUNY Downstate - College of Medicine Acceptance Preliminary Notification" is accepting their offer a plan to enroll or commit to enroll? The wording in the email is not super clear: "Furthermore, by accepting our offer, you commit to withdrawing from any other medical school where you might be holding a place."

For people who got the "SUNY Downstate - College of Medicine Acceptance Preliminary Notification" is accepting their offer a plan to enroll or commit to enroll? The wording in the email is not super clear: "Furthermore, by accepting our offer, you commit to withdrawing from any other medical school where you might be holding a place."
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the keyword here is "commit." They're saying that if you agree to commit to enroll, they'll offer an acceptance to you.

I don’t want to read into it, but I just don’t know why only some people got it or if we were grouped on a list together.
they most likley intended to send it to one or two guys but instead shift clicked/scrolls a large portion of people whose emails they have. I wouldnt read into it tbh. almost everyone got that email

THIS WAS AN ACCEPTANCE!! The wording is super unclear but when you go to the Application site you will see it clearly states your acceptance. Click on admissions decision.

And Congrats!!
1651867765296.png

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the keyword here is "commit." They're saying that if you agree to commit to enroll, they'll offer an acceptance to you.
You have to CTE or PTE within 5 days of the acceptance otherwise they'll withdraw your application

We’re you on the waitlist? What is a preliminary acceptance notification?

can i send them a LOR now? if i got a new job/found a mentor. is there anyway to send it to them?

other than pressing "yes i would like to have my name placed on the AL" on the admissions decision page, there is nothing else i need to do to possibly get accepted, correct? thank you for the help!

other than pressing "yes i would like to have my name placed on the AL" on the admissions decision page, there is nothing else i need to do to possibly get accepted, correct? thank you for the help!
I think maybe completing pre-matric would demonstrate that you are doing everything you can to position yourself to go there - the admissions guy at the 5/6 info session strongly hinted that this was viewed favorably - but I could be reading into that/they may not be able to see if you've complete pre-matric. I think also people in this thread have said they sent updates/LOIs if you want to do that sort of thing. Best of luck to you, hope you get in!!

Praying next week there is some kind of push again. Class is not filled up at this point but it's filling up.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm confused. What can we even do that is on the pre-matriculation checklist?? Other than immunizations maybe.

These mfs need to tell us if we are in man

Reactions: 4 users
Ugh idk whether or not we should sign up for BLS training :/ don't really want to pay for a course if I don't need it
I can see where you're coming from and I understand how this would be frustrating. However, it might not be a bad idea to get the BLS training anyways, since it could still be useful for other things. Consider this hypothetical scenario: if it turns out that you weren't accepted to SUNY Downstate (though I'm confident that you'll make it in, I'm rooting for you brobro) and you decided to reapply after strengthening your application with a year of extra clinical experience, you'd still need to get the BLS certification. If you got it now, you wouldn't need to deal with it down the road.

These mfs need to tell us if we are in man
They really do dude. I've got this ridiculous mental image of the shadowy adcoms throwing darts at different applications, and being like well, each app to get x number of bullseye shots is an admit. But they're all really bad at throwing darts, and very easily distracted by shiny things.
This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:
  • Haha
Accepted this morning!! My first A 🤡. Fyi i interviewed in September. WL about 3 weeks ago.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Any other As? Seems like a lone survivor 😂😂

Congrats that’s amazing!! Did you send a LOI?
I did not. I actually don't think i sent anything after my interview besides a thank you letter. (Except the usual letter of interest which was basically three sentences saying "i still want to go here". I forgot to mention because I did that for all schools i interviewed at)

• Love
congrats man, ive seen you around this thread and NYMC. Im glad you finally got in. If i get in we should def meet up and hangout
Ayy thanks bro. Yeah i been neurotic around a lot lol (see username). Hell yeah I'd be down! Keep me posted 😤

• Haha
After digging through the SUNY Downstate website (deranged obsessiveness is clearly healthy, as you all can tell) I was able to locate the administrative policies establishing the AL acceptance protocols. I really don't know how to feel about it.

The bad news: after sending out an initial 300 acceptance offers, literally everyone else that interviewed was added to an unranked list. Applicants were then screened based on the scores (scale of 1-5) that they earned during their interviews such that the minimum committee score to qualify for AL placement was 3.0. Applicants were then ranked according to their interview committee scores and grouped into half-point brackets.

AL acceptances are now being issued to applicants in descending order of these committee score brackets, as follows:
4.0+, then 3.5-3.99, then 3.0-3.49.

The good news: many of you will fall into the first two committee score brackets, which I'm hoping is a sign that you'll still have a fighting chance.

So what does this all mean? Two things: first, it confirms that the SUNY Downstate AL is shamefully oversized, to put it gently, and I'm not exactly thrilled to learn this. Second, it means that if you had been placed onto the AL, it's possible that you won't receive any updates on your application until the August 1st matriculation date, where anyone still on the AL will then receive rejections via mass email.

I feel that we have the right to know how we fared in our interviews, and I think that by having our interview scores made available to us, we'd be better-equipped to decide on whether or not we want to stay on the AL. Some people on the lower end of the score range may throw in the towel, and although it'd be a crushing discovery, it would also mean that this application process would come to a conclusion much sooner for everyone else. For those on the higher end of the score range, the knowledge of their interview committee score may offer an iota of reassurance and/or a much-needed confidence boost in their chances for acceptance.

I've tried reaching out SUNY Downstate this morning to ask for my interview score so that I could have a better idea of where I stood on the AL. I didn't think it would be such a tall order; I really just wanted a single numerical score. Although their response times are usually quick, I'm presently still waiting for any sort of response. They might get back to me later this week, but for some weird reason, I have this gut feeling that I was deliberately ignored by the admissions staff.

Edit: SUNY Downstate just flat-out refused to disclose my own score to me. Charming.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
After digging through the SUNY Downstate website (deranged obsessiveness is clearly healthy, as you all can tell) I was able to locate the administrative policies establishing the AL acceptance protocols. I really don't know how to feel about it.

The bad news: after sending out an initial 300 acceptance offers, literally everyone else that interviewed was added to an unranked list. Applicants were then screened based on the scores (scale of 1-5) that they earned during their interviews such that the minimum committee score to qualify for AL placement was 3.0. Applicants were then ranked according to their interview committee scores and grouped into half-point brackets.

AL acceptances are now being issued to applicants in descending order of these committee score brackets, as follows:
4.0+, then 3.5-3.99, then 3.0-3.49.

The good news: many of you will fall into the first two committee score brackets, which I'm hoping is a sign that you'll still have a fighting chance.

So what does this all mean? Two things: first, it confirms that the SUNY Downstate AL is shamefully oversized, to put it gently, and I'm not exactly thrilled to learn this. Second, it means that if you had been placed onto the AL, it's possible that you won't receive any updates on your application until the August 1st matriculation date, where anyone still on the AL will then receive rejections via mass email.

I feel that we have the right to know how we fared in our interviews, and I think that by having our interview scores made available to us, we'd be better-equipped to decide on whether or not we want to stay on the AL. Some people on the lower end of the score range may throw in the towel, and although it'd be a crushing discovery, it would also mean that this application process would come to a conclusion much sooner for everyone else. For those on the higher end of the score range, the knowledge of their interview committee score may offer an iota of reassurance and/or a much-needed confidence boost in their chances for acceptance.

I've tried reaching out SUNY Downstate this morning to ask for my interview score so that I could have a better idea of where I stood on the AL. I didn't think it would be such a tall order; I really just wanted a single numerical score. Although their response times are usually quick, I'm presently still waiting for any sort of response. They might get back to me later this week, but for some weird reason, I have this gut feeling that I was deliberately ignored by the admissions staff.
Thank you for this! So to be clear, the way you earn additional points on top your interview score is from your other stuff, like MCAT, gpa, PS, ECs, LORs, etc? If so, then Downstate really places a heavy emphasis on interviews?

Thank you for this! So to be clear, the way you earn additional points on top your interview score is from your other stuff, like MCAT, gpa, PS, ECs, LORs, etc? If so, then Downstate really places a heavy emphasis on interviews?
I can't say for sure. I feel like the things you listed were mainly used to decide whether or not you were invited to interview at all, but they could have certainly played a role in how you were scored by the individual committee members. Just to clarify: the average of the scores from the committee members will be your overall interview committee score.

Last edited: