2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AL after 01/03/22 interview, as expected. Nearly 4 months of radio silence post-interview is a disgrace.

Here is my iceberg theory for this annoying school:
- they had a recommended secondary submission date of 10/01/21 "Note: The deadline to have a complete application on file with us is January 3, 2022 (12 noon, EST), although we recommend that you have a completed application on file by October 1, 2021."
- I submitted 10/08/21, got offered 01/03/22 interview in November LOL!
- Had a very positive interview. Nothing felt off. I grew up in Bay Ridge. Was born at one of the school's hospitals.
- Radio silence since interview for myself and what seems like everyone else who interviewed in 2022 (except that one person yesterday, supposedly)

So TLDR... If you submitted secondary after 10/01/21, you were interviewing for WL or "AL" as they put it. How frustrating.

Med schools really have no regard for our lives when it comes to this app process it seems.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sub
AL after 01/03/22 interview, as expected. Nearly 4 months of radio silence post-interview is a disgrace.

- they had a recommended secondary submission date of 10/01/21 "Note: The deadline to have a complete application on file with us is January 3, 2022 (12 noon, EST), although we recommend that you have a completed application on file by October 1, 2021."
- Had a very positive interview. Nothing felt off. I grew up in Bay Ridge. Was born at one of the school's hospitals.
- Radio silence since interview for myself and what seems like everyone else who interviewed in 2022 (except that one person yesterday, supposedly)

So TLDR... If you submitted secondary after 10/01/21, you were interviewing for WL or "AL" as they put it. How frustrating.

Med schools really have no regard for our lives when it comes to this app process it seems.
I submitted in July interviewed after you in January and got AL

Reactions: 2 users
Alt list as well. interviewed first week of February. Hopefully it is a good thing!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi yall is our username for the portal our amcas ID number?? It isn't working for me even though i think that is what mine was and the school hasn't gotten back to me!!! ugh!!! I want to make sure I respond by the deadline. Thanks!

Hi yall is our username for the portal our amcas ID number?? It isn't working for me even though i think that is what mine was and the school hasn't gotten back to me!!! ugh!!! I want to make sure I respond by the deadline. Thanks!
amcas ID yep

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear all these WLs today. :( Historically, does anybody know when people who interviewed early and mid April will hear back? Is it early May or mid May? thank you!

For those of you doing the alternate list forms, is it just the medical forms and the FAFSA we need to complete?

from what i can gather, everyone got on the AL list so not much has changed. good luck everyone especially those with zero A's

• Wow
from what i can gather, everyone got on the AL list so not much has changed. good luck everyone especially those with zero A's
Dang! I just had my student interview the other day so i most likely will hear back my AL within two weeks :(

Reactions: 1 users
Dang! I just had my student interview the other day so i most likely will hear back my AL within two weeks :(
good luck, from what I noticed if you interviewed recently your more likely to get an A so hopefully you skip the AL and get a straight A

• Care
good luck, from what I noticed if you interviewed recently your more likely to get an A so hopefully you skip the AL and get a straight A
Bless you and good luck to you as well with the rest of the cycle 😝😝

This turns out to not be this case it seems. Still, hate this school for doing this to us.

Hello my Alternate List people- are you touching the pre-matriculation checklist??? All of this is due July 1 right lol

Do we have to do FAFSA by a certain time for the premetric checklist? or can we wait to do that if we are accepted?

So I emailed the office and you have to accept/decline the acceptance by a certain date, and then the $150 deposit is due 4/30. Fingers crossed I hear back from the MD program before then!
I'm in the same boat -- accepted to MPH months ago, but my interview for the MD program is 4/27 (tomorrow!). I emailed about this, and they extended the deadline for me to commit/make a deposit for MPH until May 16th.

• Haha
Anyone know if exams are NBME or in house?

And how often they are / if they're usually on Mondays or Fridays (not sure which is better but I was told this is something we should consider lol)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Can anybody comment on if their letter of intent helped them get an A at downstate? Or does anybody think their LOI might have made a positive difference in their decision? Lol

Did anyone else whos on the AL just get an email titled BREAKING NEWS!! from DS?

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 3.28.16 PM.png

This feels like an MPH email... they gotta get it together lol

Just got accepted off the AL! Will be withdrawing so hopefully my A goes to one of you lovely people 🙏

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
I have my student interview tomorrow. What should I expect? Is it an actual interview or just a chance to ask questions about the school? Should I wear my suit or business casual?

• Love
I have my student interview tomorrow. What should I expect? Is it an actual interview or just a chance to ask questions about the school? Should I wear my suit or business casual?
Good luck tomorrow! It's an actual interview and you get a chance to ask questions about the school!

I had mine today. It was over the phone and pretty casual, but they still had the standard list of questions they had to ask. Lots of time at the end to ask them questions though.

Hello everyone! Sorry if this question was already asked but, for those who wrote a letter of update/interest/intent, did you upload it to the portal or emailed it to the med school admissions email? Does it even matter? Thank you!

Hello everyone! Sorry if this question was already asked but, for those who wrote a letter of update/interest/intent, did you upload it to the portal or emailed it to the med school admissions email? Does it even matter? Thank you!
I called admissions and they told me to upload onto the portal under Document Upload. Hope that helps!

• Love