2021-2022 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received today!!! IS, complete 7/25. BRB while I cry and throw up :)

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know more about the MD/MPH program is there anythign different with admission etc.

OOS II on september 22nd

I keep hearing how chances arent good for OOS but i really am interested in primary care. I have no real ties to oregon though, so should i even be getting my hopes up for this school? i am also URM

Reactions: 1 user
OOS II on september 22nd

I keep hearing how chances arent good for OOS but i really am interested in primary care. I have no real ties to oregon though, so should i even be getting my hopes up for this school? i am also URM
I think if they offered you an interview, you're chances are good! When were you complete btw?

OOS II on september 22nd

I thought they didn't start reviewing OOS people who didn't have ties to Oregon until February? Does anyone know more about this?

OOS II on september 22nd

I'm a current first year and if I remember correctly, during our interviews they told us that once you're invited to interview your IS/OOS status is no longer considered therefore you have the same chances of an IS applicant. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
My MSAR ran out last month, but the numbers on the OHSU website state:
6700+ total applicants
7% (469) IS applicants
570 interviewed
230+ accepted
150 matriculate
86% (129) IS matriculate*
*I don’t know where they got 86% when I compare this to different reporting sources. It doesn’t look like they’ve had more than 80% residents in an entering cohort in nearly 10 years (ranges 63-80%). This could be because of Oregon Heritage being reported as in-state, but I’m too lazy to think about it.

In OHSU 2020 Fact Book:
6555 total applicants
241 accepted
150 matriculated**
103 residents (68%)
*Page 80 indicates that their target resident enrollment is 70%
**Some of these numbers are reported differently through the document.

And from a random reddit post:
540 IS applicants
277 IS interviewed
116 IS matriculate

It looks like they send interview invitations to about half of the IS applicants which make up about half of the interview pool, and then they accept about half of the interviewed IS.

So if I were to assume a lot of things, horrendously oversimplify, and grossly estimate the numbers to easier understand…
100 IS applicants; 1,000 OOS applicants
50 IS; 50 OOS interviewed
25 IS; 25 OOS accepted
22 IS; 8 OOS matriculate

Check out the OHSU 2019 Fact Book for a fun neurotic time to compare and contrast. Some notable things are that they have breakdowns of URM/ORM, what’s interesting is that they’ve categorized certain Asian ethnicities (Korean and Vietnamese) as URM. Another thing, these numbers reporting the same metrics are different from each source, some sources cannot be confirmed, but they’re somewhat in the same ballpark.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought they didn't start reviewing OOS people who didn't have ties to Oregon until February? Does anyone know more about this?
I thought I read something like that, but I think maybe it was that it could take as long as February. I'm OOS without ties and just got II. They have a week (all virtual though) basically splitting orientation, the MMI, and MD interview, so plan some time to take PTO if you work!

I thought I read something like that, but I think maybe it was that it could take as long as February. I'm OOS without ties and just got II. They have a week (all virtual though) basically splitting orientation, the MMI, and MD interview, so plan some time to take PTO if you work!
Ties to the state aren't the only thing they consider mission-based. From their website:

• Oregon residents.
  • Nonresidents with Oregon heritage.
  • Nonresidents with outstanding achievements in academics and significant experiences in health care, leadership, extracurricular activities and/or community service.
  • Members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in medicine and/or applicants whose personal experience shows the ability to overcome adversity and contribute to diversity in health care.
  • Students applying to OHSU’s dual degree programs such as the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H.
  • Applicants who are WICHE-certified in allopathic medicine.
Congrats on the interview!

My MSAR ran out last month, but the numbers on the OHSU website state:6700+ total applicants
7% (469) IS applicants
570 interviewed
230+ accepted
150 matriculate
86% (129) IS matriculate*
*I don’t know where they got 86% when I compare this to different reporting sources. It doesn’t look like they’ve had more than 80% residents in an entering cohort in nearly 10 years (ranges 63-80%). This could be because of Oregon Heritage being reported as in-state, but I’m too lazy to think about it.

In OHSU 2020 Fact Book:
6555 total applicants
241 accepted
150 matriculated**
103 residents (68%)
*Page 80 indicates that their target resident enrollment is 70%
**Some of these numbers are reported differently through the document.

And from a random reddit post:
540 IS applicants
277 IS interviewed
116 IS matriculate

It looks like they send interview invitations to about half of the IS applicants which make up about half of the interview pool, and then they accept about half of the interviewed IS.

So if I were to assume a lot of things, horrendously oversimplify, and grossly estimate the numbers to easier understand…
100 IS applicants; 1,000 OOS applicants
50 IS; 50 OOS interviewed
25 IS; 25 OOS accepted
22 IS; 8 OOS matriculate

Check out the OHSU 2019 Fact Book for a fun neurotic time to compare and contrast. Some notable things are that they have breakdowns of URM/ORM, what’s interesting is that they’ve categorized certain Asian ethnicities (Korean and Vietnamese) as URM. Another thing, these numbers reporting the same metrics are different from each source, some sources cannot be confirmed, but they’re somewhat in the same ballpark.
Ya and the OHSU page says they have like a 3.65 and 509 MCAT average but it’s definitely went up since then

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any successful reapplicants able to provide some tips they found helpful for their second interview versus the first?

On that note: interview is next week! Anyone care to share experiences?
Happy to PM with someone 😁
Also a reapplicant so I’m pretty nervous 😅

On that note: interview is next week! Anyone care to share experiences?
Happy to PM with someone 😁
Also a reapplicant so I’m pretty nervous 😅
you n me both homie, good luck to you!

II today, so excited because this was near the top of my list! OOS with heavy ties, submitted July 27 and marked complete August 25

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone who already had their one-on-one interview: was it open file? I feel like it will be but wanted to double check :D

This may be a dumb question but how do you know when you've been processed? I submitted my secondary on July 13th and I don't think I've even been processed yet. I sent an email but haven't received a reply.

This may be a dumb question but how do you know when you've been processed? I submitted my secondary on July 13th and I don't think I've even been processed yet. I sent an email but haven't received a reply.
I checked one day and my portal said "Your secondary application has been processed" with a date under it.

Anyone who already had their one-on-one interview: was it open file? I feel like it will be but wanted to double check :D
It’s open file, but how much they read depends on the interviewer. Mine said they just glanced at it so they could get their first impression of me through the interview

Early vs Late Interviews
This might be a question for any current students or possibly people who have already gone through the application process.

But does anyone know if getting an early interview (Sep-Oct) actually gives you an advantage at OHSU? My concern is that the modified rolling admissions where they put 80% of applicants on hold means that my early interview gives me no advantage over someone who interviews later in the cycle. And if it does it is only a slight advantage, and it seems that it is not as significant as getting an early interview at another school. Any thoughts?

Early vs Late Interviews
This might be a question for any current students or possibly people who have already gone through the application process.

But does anyone know if getting an early interview (Sep-Oct) actually gives you an advantage at OHSU? My concern is that the modified rolling admissions where they put 80% of applicants on hold means that my early interview gives me no advantage over someone who interviews later in the cycle. And if it does it is only a slight advantage, and it seems that it is not as significant as getting an early interview at another school. Any thoughts?
Not sure if other schools are the same but the fact that OHSU doesn’t accept post-interview updates could potentially be a disadvantage for an early interviewer if an applicant has or will have a strong update/change in their app

Just checked and I was put on hold today, interviewed 9/28

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just checked and I was put on hold today, interviewed 9/28
Damn quick turn around though. The holds begin, I'm awaiting my turn.
1634756181759.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if OHSU allows application updates?

I submitted my application mid July and on the portal it still says "Application processing it may take several weeks". Does anyone else that submitted early still have the same status?

I submitted my application mid July and on the portal it still says "Application processing it may take several weeks". Does anyone else that submitted early still have the same status?
I submitted 7/18 and was marked complete 9/24. OOS but applied MD/MPH

For those who have interviewed already: my 1:1 timeslot invite email has two sets of initials and two different times. I’m assuming, based on the wording, that I should call in for the time I was assigned, and that the other initials are for another candidate. Is that right?

For those who have interviewed already: my 1:1 timeslot invite email has two sets of initials and two different times. I’m assuming, based on the wording, that I should call in for the time I was assigned, and that the other initials are for another candidate. Is that right?
Yep! From my understanding just don't join early if you are assigned the 2nd time slot because the 1st interview will use the same link. Good luck with your interview! :)

Sorry, I should clarify --- I haven't interviewed yet but that was my interpretation of the email!

Yep! From my understanding just don't join early if you are assigned the 2nd time slot because the 1st interview will use the same link. Good luck with your interview! :)
Yeah. When I interviewed I had a 1.5 hour time slot, with two initials. Mine at 10am, the other at 11am. So log in EXCATLY when your initials are, it should only be a 30 min interview

II today! OOS MD/MPH. Completed 09/07. GPA 3.91 MCAT 521

II today! IS, you can DM for stats if you want.

• Love
Doesn't look like we've seen any acceptances yet... just holds?

Time is convoluted post interview...

I have heard that they are sending out offers now...
A doc I work w/ spoke to his friend @ OHSU and they said they don't send out the majority of offers until way late in the cycle. Idk if that is true but that's just what I've heard.

A doc I work w/ spoke to his friend @ OHSU and they said they don't send out the majority of offers until way late in the cycle. Idk if that is true but that's just what I've heard.
Yeah, apparently 80% of offers go out in March. 10% get accepted, 10% denied before then, everyone else is just held until that final offer pool, or their committee score reaches that weekly threshold then they get an A.

It makes a ton of sense, it just sucks to be on the waiting end of it, lol.

Darn, looks like there was another II wave?

Yeah, apparently 80% of offers go out in March. 10% get accepted, 10% denied before then, everyone else is just held until that final offer pool, or their committee score reaches that weekly threshold then they get an A.

It makes a ton of sense, it just sucks to be on the waiting end of it, lol.
From what I was told in the interview day, they roughly try to match the pace of committee discussions with acceptances. So if they have talked about 30% of the students they interviewed, they try to have offers for roughly 30% of their class.

Can someone please explain how attendance works at the school? Is it mandatory, highly encouraged etc..thank you.

For anyone who has interviewed already do you know if we can jot some ideas down on paper during the 2 minute MMI prep time?

For anyone who has interviewed already do you know if we can jot some ideas down on paper during the 2 minute MMI prep time?
Yes. They said we were allowed to use paper or some form of notes on a computer, provided that we dispose of them in some way (shred the paper, delete the document, etc). I wrote down some of the key points I wanted to hit for each station, which I found super helpful.

For those who have already interviewed and been put on hold—what does your portal say? Does it explicitly say “hold” somewhere or does it say “your status will be updated when a final decision is made”?

Hello SDN community! Does anybody know when the most recent interview invites completed their applications? Thank you so much!