2021-2022 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students who can advise on the accreditation issue? I am close to not committing due to this...
I think you might be confusing this school with California Northstate. Northstate is on probation with LCME.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you might be confusing this school with California Northstate. Northstate is on probation with LCME.

While Cal Northstate is on probation (which happens subsequent to Preliminary stage), CAUSOM is not even that mature to have probationary status. It is only a matter of time before Cal Northstate improves their processes to be LCME compliant. CAUSOM does not even have mature processes, it takes a few years to get mature processes in place.

Any current students who can advise on the accreditation issue? I am close to not committing due to this...
CUSM is preliminarily accredited. It's not really an issue, so much as a matter of time. Kaiser is also in preliminary status, it's just because they're new. The docusign isn't binding and the CTE is June 1 so you have time if you're waiting on something

Members don't see this ad :)
CUSM is preliminarily accredited. It's not really an issue, so much as a matter of time. Kaiser is also in preliminary status, it's just because they're new. The docusign isn't binding and the CTE is June 1 so you have time if you're waiting on something
The facts speak for themselves, graduating an entire class with Preliminary status is not a good sign. As someone who knows LCME process breakdown well, I can say that getting Preliminary status is not hard. Raising curriculum maturity level to Provisional is not expected to take 4 years. Some medical schools started after CAUSOM and have already reached Provisional, only a few such as CAUSOM are laggards.

In short, each student has to decide for themselves, but it appears that for foreseeable future, your fees will be funding to establish processes that will benefit future applicants. If this was a law school, it would have been sued by the graduating class of 2022. Asking current medical student how they feel about quality of their education is only going to get biased answers. On the other hand, Transparency is hallmark of LCME processes, their evaluation would be more objective. I hope Independent Student Analysis Chair can chime in about what is going on, because being stuck in Preliminary status is itself a solid indication of lack of transparency from the medical school.

The facts speak for themselves, graduating an entire class with Preliminary status is not a good sign. As someone who knows LCME process breakdown well, I can say that getting Preliminary status is not hard. Raising curriculum maturity level to Provisional is not expected to take 4 years. Some medical schools started after CAUSOM and have already reached Provisional, only a few such as CAUSOM are laggards.

In short, each student has to decide for themselves, but it appears that for foreseeable future, your fees will be funding to establish processes that will benefit future applicants. If this was a law school, it would have been sued by the graduating class of 2022. Asking current medical student how they feel about quality of their education is only going to get biased answers. On the other hand, Transparency is hallmark of LCME processes, their evaluation would be more objective. I hope Independent Student Analysis Chair can chime in about what is going on, because being stuck in Preliminary status is itself a solid indication of lack of transparency from the medical school.
Very interesting. That is something that concerns me, but I am not sure how serious the difference between Preliminary vs Provisional status is. Do you think that it would be worth choosing a different med school, like Drexel, over CUSM for this matter? (I can still make this choice until the end of today as I was previously set on CUSM.)

Very interesting. That is something that concerns me, but I am not sure how serious the difference between Preliminary vs Provisional status is. Do you think that it would be worth choosing a different med school, like Drexel, over CUSM for this matter? (I can still make this choice until the end of today as I was previously set on C
If accreditation is a concern for you, I’d go with Drexel. There is no question as to their status. I doubt CUSM accreditation will ever be an issue though. You should go with what feels right though.

Reactions: 2 users

This is an extremely misleading comment.

There is only one school that has acheived provisional status that began enrollement the year after CUSM. That school being NYU long island, which probably has a lot of strings they can pull to get that done. Also they have 3 year program, instead of 4 meaning that their graduating class is the same as CUSM. TWO other schools enrolling the same year as CUSM have achieved provisional status, but that was completed THIS year. CUSM has been very clear that their next accreditation update should be on May 17th of this year, which falls in-line with exactly what other medical schools have done.

Kaiser Permanente, which for some reason is not being questioned about their accreditation as much as CUSM, is only one year behind and is still in preliminary status, and probably will be until next year, which again would be exactly in-line with CUSM.

If anyone would like to fact check, here is the official accrediation website for every MD school in the US.

I know accreditation can be anxiety inducing, especially after the CNU situation, but let's at least wait until may 17th to start pointing fingers and assuming CUSM won't acheive accreditation.

Last edited:
This is an extremely misleading comment.

There is only one school that has acheived provisional status that began enrollement the year after CUSM. That school being NYU long island, which probably has a lot of strings they can pull to get that done. Also they have 3 year program, instead of 4 meaning that their graduating class is the same as CUSM. TWO other schools enrolling the same year as CUSM have achieved provisional status, but that was completed THIS year. CUSM has been very clear that their next accreditation update should be on May 17th of this year, which falls in-line with exactly what other medical schools have done.

Kaiser Permanente, which for some reason is not being questioned about their accreditation as much as CUSM, is only one year behind and is still in preliminary status, and probably will be until next year, which again would be exactly in-line with CUSM.

If anyone would like to fact check, here is the official accrediation website for every MD school in the US.

I know accreditation can be anxiety inducing, especially after the CNU situation, but let's at least wait until may 17th to start pointing fingers and assuming CUSM won't acheive accreditation.
You are confusing BPPE accreditation with LCME accreditation. May 17 is for BPPE approval. LCME is the standard for medical schools. Facts are facts.

Has there been any medical school that graduated a class under Preliminary accreditation?

In the end, everyone has to decide for themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
You are confusing BPPE accreditation with LCME accreditation. May 17 is for BPPE approval. LCME is the standard for medical schools. Facts are facts.

Has there been any medical school that graduated a class under Preliminary accreditation?

In the end, everyone has to decide for themselves.

Is CUSM under probation? No. So there is no reason to suspect that something is amiss. If there was something horribly wrong or suspicious as you’re trying to insinuate, then they would be put under probation or have preliminary status revoked.

If a program has preliminary status and completes a DCI for provisional accreditation, only for LCME to determine that the program has minor noncompliance issues, then they would grant provisional accreditation but require written status reports addressing the issues. That has NOT happened, and implying it will happen is conjecture.

If the provisional survey report is denied, the LCME will do one of three things.

1- Determines that there are noncompliance issues that can be resolved within a short period of time, and continue program’s preliminary status. (no clear indication that this has occurred, either from CUSM or the LCME)

2- Determines that there are noncompliance issues that can be resolved within a short period of time, and places the program on probation or warning.

3- Determines that there are noncompliance issues that CANNOT be resolved within a short time and notifies the program that it will withdraw preliminary accreditation, which is subject to appeal.

CUSM has NOT been placed on probation or had preliminary status revoked. If such were the case, the LCME would clearly indicate so.

The LCME’s site clearly states that a time for the next survey date is pending, so clearly things are slowed down. I’m not a part of the LCME, and neither are you, so it’s hard to say exactly why the process is taking as long as it is. One plausible theory is that the pandemic has simply caused all of these reviews to slow down, because of the limitations it has presented. But there is nothing indicating that CUSM is going to have preliminary status revoked.

For anyone wondering, here is my source:

lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/

Is CUSM under probation? No. So there is no reason to suspect that something is amiss. If there was something horribly wrong or suspicious as you’re trying to insinuate, then they would be put under probation or have preliminary status revoked.

If a program has preliminary status and completes a DCI for provisional accreditation, only for LCME to determine that the program has minor noncompliance issues, then they would grant provisional accreditation but require written status reports addressing the issues. That has NOT happened, and implying it will happen is conjecture.

If the provisional survey report is denied, the LCME will do one of three things.

1- Determines that there are noncompliance issues that can be resolved within a short period of time, and continue program’s preliminary status. (no clear indication that this has occurred, either from CUSM or the LCME)

2- Determines that there are noncompliance issues that can be resolved within a short period of time, and places the program on probation or warning.

3- Determines that there are noncompliance issues that CANNOT be resolved within a short time and notifies the program that it will withdraw preliminary accreditation, which is subject to appeal.

CUSM has NOT been placed on probation or had preliminary status revoked. If such were the case, the LCME would clearly indicate so.

The LCME’s site clearly states that a time for the next survey date is pending, so clearly things are slowed down. I’m not a part of the LCME, and neither are you, so it’s hard to say exactly why the process is taking as long as it is. One plausible theory is that the pandemic has simply caused all of these reviews to slow down, because of the limitations it has presented. But there is nothing indicating that CUSM is going to have preliminary status revoked.

For anyone wondering, here is my source:

lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/
This is an apt summary, in my opinion. To add:

LCME states that CUSM would have had their visit for potential-provisional accreditation during the second year of their charter class, which means they should have had their provisional LCME accreditation visit sometime in 2020. The CUSM student handbook PDF, which you can find online, also states they had planned a two-part LCME visit- one visit in 2019-20, and another in 2020-21.

Right now, they are NOT provisional, but still preliminary. This means one of two things:

1. Their visits in 2019-20 and 2020-21 went okay, with some small issues, that warranted CUSM to keep their preliminary accreditation, but NOT progress to provisional.
- NO EVIDENCE FOR THIS, but I cannot find counter-evidence.

2. Their visits in 2019-20 and 2020-21 did not actually happen on schedule, due to COVID delays.
- This would be ideal, and is potentially supported by their LCME listing, which says the time for the next survey date is pending.

I am hoping it is #2, but I don't know. The CUSM admissions office did not provide more information over the phone this morning, other than saying recent accreditation processes have been going smoothly.

@inet777 thinks that #1 might be true, due to the extended preliminary status; however, Kaiser also has this status, and they should also be up for their first provisional LCME survey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi does anyone know the formal procedure of withdrawing an acceptance from here? What address do i email

Hello. Has anyone gone onto the Chose Your Medical School tool for AMCAS? I'm WL, but for some reason it says my application is no longer under consideration. Not sure if I'm the only one? But I never received an email. Hopefully its an error.

Hello. Has anyone gone onto the Chose Your Medical School tool for AMCAS? I'm WL, but for some reason it says my application is no longer under consideration. Not sure if I'm the only one? But I never received an email. Hopefully its an error.
Where do you see your application is no longer under consideration?

I feel like signing the CUSM 14 day docusign isn't the same as CTE'ing? More so accepting the acceptance, since you can still do that and PTE until June 1st
So just to confirm, the CUSM Docusign is NOT binding and you can sign it/pay the $100 registration deposit but still change your mind if you are accepted off a different waitlist before the June 1 CTE deadline?

Got off the waitlist on Monday, withdrew my acceptance yesterday :) I talked to admissions about financial aid/the Docusign. Basically, the Docusign is non-binding but you have to submit that before they give you any kind of financial aid info. You need to submit FAFSA and then they send you a scholarship APPLICATION. They told me they would let you know about scholarships about ~1 week after you submit the application. Also the $100 deposit is non-refundable.

Have any of the ghosted folks heard anything yet? Given the past years, I fully expect an R, but wondering if there's a unicorn out there. LOL.

Where do you see your application is no longer under consideration?
Log onto your AMCAS profile that you submitted primary. Click on the application year and a yellow box should appear if you have an acceptance to any school. I got A to amc, so I noticed once I logged on.

Are they done giving out WL As? :( Was expecting another big post May 2nd pull

Anyone with a April interview still not hear back ANYTHING post II ?

accepted off the WL last week! Interviewed in March. Good luck to those that are still waiting to hear back. Admissions told me that theyre expecting serious waitlist movement soon

Reactions: 5 users
accepted off the WL last week! Interviewed in March. Good luck to those that are still waiting to hear back. Admissions told me that theyre expecting serious waitlist movement soon

thanks for the information. the wait is really taxing.

Once you receive the WL email, you don’t need to do anything else right? Like formally accept a spot on the WL?

4/1 interview here - still nothing..
Another 4/1 interview here with 0 contact. Not sure why they're reviewing the waitlist when they still have interview decisions to make

Reactions: 4 users
Also just got in off the waitlist about 2 hours ago now!!! Interviewed December, waitlist in January. This is my first acceptance and I am thrilled!!!!

• Love
Anyone know how to access the student Facebook page? I definitely want to start looking for roommates/housing as soon as possible haha

For those accepted off the WL, did you have any communication with the school after being placed on the WL?

I know CUSM doesn’t accept any kind of updates of any kind, but curious if any of you guys reached out anyway.

For those accepted off the WL, did you have any communication with the school after being placed on the WL?

I know CUSM doesn’t accept any kind of updates of any kind, but curious if any of you guys reached out anyway.
No, I had zero communication with them after WL

Nope, none at all.

Me, a March interviewee who has heard nothing post interview, seeing April interviewees getting off the waitlist

Attachments

• 41C03D52-0A8B-49F7-84C7-D53ECDE1BB63.jpeg
    41C03D52-0A8B-49F7-84C7-D53ECDE1BB63.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 70

I sent an update letter letting them know I was still interested and I received a courtesy reply from admissions to the effect of "thanks but we don't accept updates"

Does anyone know why the email says to apply for the grad plus loan as well?