2021-2022 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a student interviewer, what does the admissions committee look for in applicants? Just saw that people were getting interviews here today and now I'm getting worried lol.
I can't speak to the adcoms but I can tell you what we discussed in our orientation as interviewers given by Dr. Cavalieri, our assistant Dean of admissions. They're looking for people who have a well thought out desire to pursue medicine, someone who is altruistic(demonstrated through non-medical volunteering), maturity/professionalism, proven academic record(yes stats matter), good interpersonal skills, somebody that would make Creighton a better place; the usual stuff any med school would look for. Service is very important here. For example, it's harder to get a volunteer spot for our free clinic than it is to pass class lol. As an interviewer, I am looking for laid back and nice people(ie it's okay to try your best in school but don't be annoying about it) that are willing to contribute to the collaborative and fun class culture we have here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
My brave soul. I saw that date and promptly went to the week after because I got scared lmao.
Oh I definitely got scared too! My first II and relatively close to home, but I figured I’d aim to get my decision by Oct 15th (or whenever earliest release is) and I wasn’t sure if taking an interview the following week had any influence on that lol

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I can't speak to the adcoms but I can tell you what we discussed in our orientation as interviewers given by Dr. Cavalieri, our assistant Dean of admissions. They're looking for people who have a well thought out desire to pursue medicine, someone who is altruistic(demonstrated through non-medical volunteering), maturity/professionalism, proven academic record(yes stats matter), good interpersonal skills, somebody that would make Creighton a better place; the usual stuff any med school would look for. Service is very important here. For example, it's harder to get a volunteer spot for our free clinic than it is to pass class lol. As an interviewer, I am looking for laid back and nice people(ie it's okay to try your best in school but don't be annoying about it) that are willing to contribute to the collaborative and fun class culture we have here.
Not sure if we are able to ask this but do you know if it is open or closed file interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all. I have a "standard" diversity prompt fill that I copy pasta and modify as needed to address diversity-type secondary prompts. It has two parts: me, as a Jewish woman, and the two successful cycles of egg donation that I completed. Egg donation requires frequent, often invasive clinic visits+imaging+labs, and it was a great introduction to medicine as a patient, etc., etc.

The official Catholic position on egg donation isn't favorable (it "removes the 'marriage act' from procreation"); do any of you have a read on how Creighton's adcom would feel about interviewing/admitting an egg donor? To me, bloating and twice-daily injections aside, it was a beautiful, meaningful experience...but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, all. I have a "standard" diversity prompt fill that I copy pasta and modify as needed to address diversity-type secondary prompts. It has two parts: me, as a Jewish woman, and the two successful cycles of egg donation that I completed. Egg donation requires frequent, often invasive clinic visits+imaging+labs, and it was a great introduction to medicine as a patient, etc., etc.

The official Catholic position on egg donation isn't favorable (it "removes the 'marriage act' from procreation"); do any of you have a read on how Creighton's adcom would feel about interviewing/admitting an egg donor? To me, bloating and twice-daily injections aside, it was a beautiful, meaningful experience...but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
I talked to Admission about religion, even though they are Catholic school, they don’t require people to believe in specific religion. The admission literally tells me that they don’t care about it at all, but they do want to see you show commitment (services to others) through non-medical volunteer. I think you are totally fine.

Hi everyone, I wrote down on my application that I specifically want to go to the Phoenix campus for Creighton. I was wondering if anyone else did the same and if they have received an interview yet?

Hi everyone, I wrote down on my application that I specifically want to go to the Phoenix campus for Creighton. I was wondering if anyone else did the same and if they have received an interview yet?
I did and I received an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have problems with the application fee? I followed the directions and got payment pending after submitting my app. Now it says fee not received

Just received an OOS II from Creighton. Completed 8/12

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats peeps!! What were your your guys’ stats if you don’t mind sharing?

II an hour ago! OOS, 516 3.8, complete late july

@neuroiscool42
How religious is the school? I know that in the past the school has put out that it opposes abortions etc based on religious beliefs but have you or any of your peers noticed if these views have changed or influenced your education? I just find that view slightly problematic in this current era of medicine/social situation.

@neuroiscool42
How religious is the school? I know that in the past the school has put out that it opposes abortions etc based on religious beliefs but have you or any of your peers noticed if these views have changed or influenced your education? I just find that view slightly problematic in this current era of medicine/social situation.
Religion is not forced upon you. Hasn't affected my learning of medicine in the slightest. There's no catholicism interjected into any of the science lectures. Only thing you might not see at Creighton clinics is prescription of birth control or abortions, which they will likely refer to somebody who can help the patient with their needs. However, just because those are the views of the hospitals doesn't mean those are the views of the practicing physicians you'll work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Religion is not forced upon you. Hasn't affected my learning of medicine in the slightest. There's no catholicism interjected into any of the science lectures. Only thing you might not see at Creighton clinics is prescription of birth control or abortions, which they will likely refer to somebody who can help the patient with their needs. However, just because those are the views of the hospitals doesn't mean those are the views of the practicing physicians you'll work with.
Awesome thank you for the reassurance!

Is it possible to request a campus preference change after submitting and getting an ii? Either campus is good, I just think Phoenix aligns more with my goals after some thought.
Pretty sure you can email admissions. I believe they told our interview group that we had til the following Monday to update them of preference change.

Hi, guys, does anyone know when you will hear back from the interview? Thanks :) (Side note: be cautious about the interviewer's location, my preference is Omaha, but my interviewer is located in Arizona lol.....SO when you answer question why Creighton, maybe don't dwell too much on location like me and end up knowing the interviewer has never been to Omaha...)

Hi, guys, does anyone know when you will hear back from the interview? Thanks :) (Side note: be cautious about the interviewer's location, my preference is Omaha, but my interviewer is located in Arizona lol.....SO when you answer question why Creighton, maybe don't dwell too much on location like me and end up knowing the interviewer has never been to Omaha...)
I dont believe they give out a time frame of when you should hear back about your decision. I hope it is within 3 weeks or so but that is just guessing... How did your interview go?

I dont believe they give out a time frame of when you should hear back about your decision. I hope it is within 3 weeks or so but that is just guessing... How did your interview go?
Mine went very well I think, the faculty and student all pretty nice :) I smile most of the time and try to answer all my questions logically and honestly. How about yours?

One of my interviewers encouraged me to update the school about a recent job position I acquired. I am a little confused because there is no section within the portal to update regarding a new job that I have not started yet I was only granted the acceptance recently. Would extracurriculars be the best place to tell the committee about the job?

Mine went very well I think, the faculty and student all pretty nice :) I smile most of the time and try to answer all my questions logically and honestly. How about yours?
Mine is next week so I am still prepping for it. just nervous!

Mine is next week so I am still prepping for it. just nervous!
Don’t worry, I am so nervous too! But once you start talking, you forgot about your nervousness soon! You’ll do great, what you have been doing got u this far, just come in and enjoy the conversation, relax and just be yourself :)

Hi guys, after the interview, do you send individual thank you letter to your interviewers? I have a faculty and student interviewer, I want to send thank you email to the faculty and student individually, and another thank you email for everyone in the admission office, so it will be about 3 emails total...Is it too much email??? Or should I just included everyone in the same email......

Hi guys, after the interview, do you send individual thank you letter to your interviewers? I have a faculty and student interviewer, I want to send thank you email to the faculty and student individually, and another thank you email for everyone in the admission office, so it will be about 3 emails total...Is it too much email??? Or should I just included everyone in the same email......
Theres somebody in admissions you send them to and they will distribute it to your interviewers. One of my interviewees did that.

Edit: it's the admissions email

Had mine earlier this week. I love the faculty and students. they just gave a very welcoming experience and did not feel like I was too stressed once I started the interview! I can see myself going here!

anybody else was complete late July and haven't heard anything back? :confused:

Reactions: 14 users
II 10 minutes ago, OOS, URM, strong ties, super happy atm :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II as well!! OOS no ties, URM, LM 65

+4 II, OOS, ORM, LM 79 complete 8/2!

II invite today. URM, 3.4c, 3.2s, and 3.9smp GPAs. 511 MCAT. OOS. Complete literally four days ago on 9/20

Anyone who interviewed have their portals change with the "thank you for interviewing" message gone?