2021-2022 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
8. In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1,000 characters)

Do we have to choose one from the list of 3 we have on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

8. In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1,000 characters)

Do we have to choose one from the list of 3 we have on AMCAS?
Not at all. Just needs to come off the list of experiences you have listed prior

Reactions: 1 user
This "Finalize" thing is really inconvenient and the admissions team needs to figure it out. 3 days w/o being able to submit

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This "Finalize" thing is really inconvenient and the admissions team needs to figure it out. 3 days w/o being able to submit
just letting you know this is standard for everyone else's experience with albany this year... it was available to finalize for me on the 4th day. part of the process but i get its frustrating.

just letting you know this is standard for everyone else's experience with albany this year... it was available to finalize for me on the 4th day. part of the process but i get its frustrating.
Just wait a couple more days, it should work
Yep yep I see that within the thread, just saying that generally it is so inconvenient. Adcoms should fix it

Do you get an email when your application is ready to be finalized? I keep checking the portal, but I was wondering if that was necessary.

Do you get an email when your application is ready to be finalized? I keep checking the portal, but I was wondering if that was necessary.

I did not. Checking the portal is the best way to go

"If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?"

If I haven't applied to Albany but other schools in the past, should I still answer this? Since I'll be admitting to them that I'm a reapplicant but not to their school...

"If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?"

If I haven't applied to Albany but other schools in the past, should I still answer this? Since I'll be admitting to them that I'm a reapplicant but not to their school...
Yes since they phrased it as medical school in general. I'm also a reapplicant but didn't apply to Albany the first time around. For this essay, I was just honest and used the essay space as an opportunity to show how I've grown and what changes I made to make me a better candidate.

yes. it means any med school, MD or DO. someone said in another thread schools can see through AMCAS if you're a reapplicant based on your AMCAS ID (even if not to their school) so its verrrrrryyyy not recommended to not tell the truth.
Yes since they phrased it as medical school in general. I'm also a reapplicant but didn't apply to Albany the first time around. For this essay, I was just honest and used the essay space as an opportunity to show how I've grown and what changes I made to make me a better candidate.
+1. med school reapp but not albany. i talked about my MCAT increasing 12 points and another publication I got this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
My AMCAS application was processed in early July but I still have not received a secondary. Is anyone else is a similar situation?

i got verified last week and just got my secondary today

Added Albany to my primary on 08/01. Just received secondary

What qualifies as being impacted by covid-19 to finish prereqs? All I had to do was finish physics lecture plus lab online. Do I need to write about that?

So my MCAT score is on the low side (506) but my GPA is very good and I have 7 years of nursing experience. Do I need to bring up my MCAT score in the "any inconsistencies in performance" section? I should also mention that I have taken the MCAT 3 times. I went up from 495 to 500 to 506.

So my MCAT score is on the low side (506) but my GPA is very good and I have 7 years of nursing experience. Do I need to bring up my MCAT score in the "any inconsistencies in performance" section? I should also mention that I have taken the MCAT 3 times. I went up from 495 to 500 to 506.
you can if you want but you have a solid clinical background which looks good.

Does it make sense to submit a secondary still if I received 7/15 or is that too late since its past 4 weeks :/

does anyone have insight into how long it takes to go from "pending" to "yes" on the secondary submission items? I'd love to finalize this secondary, but I'm not able to yet. the site says 24-48 hours and it's been 48 at this point.

So I just submitted secondary, but am not able to finalize it. Does it show up a few days later?

It was about 60 hours before my pending items updated and I could finalize.

Re this question: 3. If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19. (1,000 characters)

Did you guys only talk about the inability to meet course requirements or did you talk about cancelations of MCAT, volunteer experiences, etc?

Re this question: 3. If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19. (1,000 characters)

Did you guys only talk about the inability to meet course requirements or did you talk about cancelations of MCAT, volunteer experiences, etc?
No, the question explicitly states to talk about course prerequisites. Just do what it asks although I understand… we all want to give as much info as possible to put ourselves in the best light

My committee letter is taking forever so it’s still not complete. Should I finalize my secondary before it’s submitted? I see that they have it marked that LOR’s have been received, but it’s just an additional letter from an employer. So will they still get my committee letter once it’s added on?
How many letters did you send? I had a hard time finding a number.

How many letters did you send? I had a hard time finding a number.

I had one person letter from a previous employer that was already submitted so that’s why they said my LOR’s were complete. But my committee finally got submitted a few days ago!

This is what MSAR says about letters if you don’t have a committee letter

“ Between 2-4 individual letters of recommendation. The admissions committee prefers letters from a faculty member who speaks to your personal attributes and scholastic abilities. If you are not sending a letter from a faculty member, you may provide a letter from a supervisor from either a paid or volunteer research or clinical experience. The maximum number of letters is 4.”

I got this weird email with the subject title "Deadline Tonight" reminding me to finalize my application. As of right now, I am just waiting for items on my application to move from pending to yes.

Anyone know anything about this??

I got this weird email with the subject title "Deadline Tonight" reminding me to finalize my application. As of right now, I am just waiting for items on my application to move from pending to yes.

Anyone know anything about this??
Same, quite confused... It says the deadline is Dec. 15th 2021 in the letter yet the subject line says deadline tonight. Computer glitch?

have been procrastinating this secondary and just got an email personally inviting me to submit my secondary bc I'm URM... good sign? or do they send this to everyone?

have been procrastinating this secondary and just got an email personally inviting me to submit my secondary bc I'm URM... good sign? or do they send this to everyone?
+1. Not sure what the email meant since I had already received a secondary? But I went ahead and finalized my app and it's now complete at least

Current M1 here… I can answer any question to the best of my knowledge. Keep on pushing, you guys will do great.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
So if we submitted the secondary this weekend, will it take 24-48hrs until we can finalize this?

So if we submitted the secondary this weekend, will it take 24-48hrs until we can finalize this?
Essentially. They'll finalize your app on their own in that 48-hour window after verifying you have everything (or at least, that's what they did for me). I didn't receive an email saying that my secondary had been finalized; it's just something you have to keep checking for.

Yes, I think it took about that, maybe closer to 2 days until I could select “finalize”. Make sure you hit that finalize button or it’s not technically complete. I did not receive a complete email after I finalized my app but in the portal everything is complete and it says it has been finalized. Hope that helps

First II! Secondary Complete 7/21.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users