2022-2023 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to add a detail about Albany's process that trips up applicants every year:
Here is how one applicant explained it:
The portal is a little different in that you submit your secondary application, and then you have to go back and click "Finalize" after they confirm receipt of your secondary. Only then are you complete. If the portal still says it's pending, go back and finalize whenever they update that. It says it can take them up to a week to update your portal after you submit the secondary.
It would be easy to submit your secondary and assume you're done (like just about every other school). They're trying to let you know that it's your responsibility to ensure that the entire application does, in fact, get submitted.
(wysdoc)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary Questions:
Describe yourself (1,000 characters)
Describe a significant challenge that has prepared you for the MD career path (1,000 characters)
Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores (1,000 characters)
Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history (1,000 characters)
Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program (1,000 characters)
If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
please indicate why (1,000 characters)

"In the "Work and Activites" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences (lists all experiences). Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession." (1000 characters)

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody has received Albany's secondary yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts:
Describe a significant challenge that has prepared you for the MD career path (1,000 characters)
Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores (1,000 characters)
Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history (1,000 characters)
Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program (1,000 characters)
If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,

They sent my secondary to the email I used in my first cycle so be sure to check if you switched emails!

For this question: Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history (1,000 characters)

Do I need to explain a gap year between my undergrad and grad school? I was working during that time so there aren't any extended gaps in activity/employment

OOS just received secondary. Also for the "Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program (1,000 characters)" This a good spot for diversity essay?

For this question: Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history (1,000 characters)

Do I need to explain a gap year between my undergrad and grad school? I was working during that time so there aren't any extended gaps in activity/employment
I interpreted this as only if you weren't doing anything at all during that time, so like no work, no school, etc. I don't think you need to describe gap years

I interpreted this as only if you weren't doing anything at all during that time, so like no work, no school, etc. I don't think you need to describe gap years
I mean I see this as a good spot for a COVID essay detailing issues with work/school

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS just received secondary. Also for the "Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program (1,000 characters)" This a good spot for diversity essay?
yeah! I was thinking this question is probably better for the diversity essay than the "Tell us about yourself."
OOS secondary received!

How much do we think they care about the advisory committee? The reason I opted out of mine is because my institution is notoriously slow at sending out committee letters on behalf of students (some have waited until late August before ever receiving secondaries from schools and then were forced to reapply). I had all my letters ready so I preferred to apply and send out my letters early so I could get a faster return rate on secondaries and get an interview spot. I just think it's ridiculous that some schools place such great importance on this committee letter. Any thoughts on this matter?

In the same boat, curious as to what others think

In the same boat, curious as to what others think
I could see them saying "why didn't you get it earlier then?" OR something. I mean I would go for it and do your best to explain it but try to come out positive and not blame anything

Prompts:
@PapaGuava Here are the prompts BTW.

Also, MCAThiccy forgot the Work/Activites prompt that still remains this year:
"In the "Work and Activites" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences (lists all experiences). Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession." (1000 characters)

@PapaGuava Here are the prompts BTW.

Also, MCAThiccy forgot the Work/Activites prompt that still remains this year:
So copy and paste my favorite MME?

EDIT: 2° submitted!

Last edited:
No secondary yet, anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
After submitting the secondary, did anyone get a confirmation? Mine also still says pending for the supplemental application and the fee after I turned it in

Good luck everyone :) already got my seat for this year here and will look forward to see some of you folks

I submitted the secondary 4 days ago and payed my fee, and it still won't let me finalize bc it says "pending"... anyone else? what should i do

Just attempted to submit but it also says pending on the payment and won't let me finalize :(

I submitted the secondary 4 days ago and payed my fee, and it still won't let me finalize bc it says "pending"... anyone else? what should i do
I’ve also been pending for 4 days and everything else is complete.

I submitted my primary to Albany on 7/11 and still haven't received my secondary :cryi:
anyone else in the same boat? Should I call admissions?

I submitted my primary to Albany on 7/11 and still haven't received my secondary :cryi:
Submitted 7/7 and still waiting :( if you do call, please keep us updated

They got my primary on 7/7 and still havent gotten secondary and I am IS I think we should just expect to get it a week after everyone else has who submitted right away

what are examples of significant challenges? is it like someone in the family passing away or can it be something as small as handling a noncompliant patient

what are examples of significant challenges? is it like someone in the family passing away or can it be something as small as handling a noncompliant patient
I really wouldn't say that handling a non-compliant patient is what they mean by significant challenge

Think about something in your life (not a noncompliant patient) that was extremely challenging: financial situation, living situation, having to move away, or a loss of a family member could be one. Then talk about how it was challenging, how you overcame this, show resilience, what you learned, and how you can apply that as a medical student.

I'm in a similar boat. I noticed this on the top of the page. Was previously 24-48 hours.

"Please note, items in the "pending" status are processing. It may take up to a week for items to go from "pending" to "yes". We thank you for your patience."

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar boat. I noticed this on the top of the page. Was previously 24-48 hours.

"Please note, items in the "pending" status are processing. It may take up to a week for items to go from "pending" to "yes". We thank you for your patience."
thanks, I will update the top post to say a week

For the question, "Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history (1,000 characters)" If I'm saying no to the question, should I explain why and include what I'm doing, or should I consider it an optional question? I'm leaning towards the first option of explaining my answer.

For the question, "Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history (1,000 characters)" If I'm saying no to the question, should I explain why and include what I'm doing, or should I consider it an optional question? I'm leaning towards the first option of explaining my answer.
If it has not been uninterrupted and there are no gaps, you can just not answer it! It says to only explain if the answer is yes.

I "submitted" on Monday 7/18 and was able to finalize it today 7/20