2021-2022 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A couple of the secondary questions in the AMC portal are worded a little differently than what is listed at the beginning of this thread. Just wanted to provide some clarification because it could change the content of some applicants' answers:

1. If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns? (1000 Characters)

6. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history. (1000 Characters)
Thanks for this @cafemocha
Can I get a comment from anyone else who got the secondary from the portal and not from an email?
@seanm028 which wording did you get/use?

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone had their MCAT marked as received yet? its been 48+ hours for me since first submitting my secondary app it's still not in for some reason

Reactions: 1 user
Have any OOSers not yet received the secondary? Submitted my primary a couple weeks back and I see that they don't screen.
Checking before I send an email!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I get a comment from anyone else who got the secondary from the portal and not from an email?
I got the secondary from the portal:

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?

The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.)

If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19.

Describe yourself:

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

any body else still waiting for their mcat score and their other parts of their application that are saying "no" or "pending" to be completed? Submitted last Thursday

Reactions: 5 users
has anyone had their MCAT marked as received yet? its been 48+ hours for me since first submitting my secondary app it's still not in for some reason
mine has not been either i submitted this past thursday

I was wondering if we had to send our scores separately, anyone know if this is possibly the problem?
All AMCAS schools receive your MCAT score automatically along with your primary application.

Since some students might apply before having a score, there might be some internal office process at Albany in which a human being needs to check off that you have an MCAT score before your application moves along.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude what is going on. Like i completed these essays and I cant even fialize my app because my LORS are still pending and they haven't received my mcat. Makes no sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone post in here if you get a reply about pending or no MCAT status

How long after submitting your secondary were you able to finalize? All of my checklist items are complete, however, it says that my secondary application status is pending so I am unable to finalize.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys doing for the most meaningful experience one? Kinda crazy we need to do that again... Are you choosing one you already wrote about as meaningful on AMCAS? Or doing a 4th one..
this pissed me off so much. I will have to pick one from primary and "go for a different angle"

this pissed me off so much. I will have to pick one from primary and "go for a different angle"
I was just honest and chose the one that had the greatest influence on my decision to pursue medicine, and it just so happened to be one of my MMEs

I was able to finalize earlier this morning! Finished secondary 7/15, finalized 7/20, no complete email

Check your portal more frequently now!

Reactions: 1 users
I was also able to finalize my application just now. No complete email, I just got an alert on the portal.

I am annoyed because I talked about my MME in my PS. So I am picking a different experience.. hope this doesn't hurt my chances.

still not able to finalize and submitted secondary last Thursday... secondary, fee, mcat score, and all letters were received...

Here's the copied and pasted verbiage directly from the portal:
  • If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?
  • The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.)
  • If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19.
  • Describe yourself:
  • Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
  • Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.
  • Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
  • In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.
  • If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
    please indicate why:

Here's the copied and pasted verbiage directly from the portal:
  • If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns?
  • The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.)
  • If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19.
  • Describe yourself:
  • Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
  • Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.
  • Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
  • In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.
  • If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
    please indicate why:
Thanks for the confirmation, however I'm looking pretty bad here. I never edited a post so many times before! :smack:

Was finally able to finalize my app after like 4 days of waiting… 😐

Is anyone else still waiting for the secondary?

Edit: Just got it at 10:35

Last edited:
7. Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (1,000 characters)

Are they looking for a why this school type of essay or what?

I was finally able to finalize my secondary this morning!!! 😅

Can someone help me out with what it means for the landscape of medicine to change? I have personal experiences that changed how I want to practice medicine but idk. Pls help a girl out

I was able to finalize now. Hopefully they like my terrible secondaries [:

Just submitted the secondary. Hopefully, the time to finalize isn't too long.

Was able to finalize my secondary today! Submitted on 7/18 and everything was marked as "yes" today.
Just submitted the secondary. Hopefully, the time to finalize isn't too long.
think it only took me 2 days max! you should be alright :)

So I just submitted my secondary but I can't hit the "finalize" button yet. Did anyone else have this issue?

So I just submitted my secondary but I can't hit the "finalize" button yet. Did anyone else have this issue?
It takes a few days before you are able to do that, just check it periodically and hit the button when it becomes available

Took me 3-4 days to be able to finalize. It’s an issue entirely on their end

My committee letter is taking forever so it’s still not complete. Should I finalize my secondary before it’s submitted? I see that they have it marked that LOR’s have been received, but it’s just an additional letter from an employer. So will they still get my committee letter once it’s added on?

I still can't hit the finalize button. Can anyone help?

Albany does not send a complete email after finalizing, correct? I finalized but did not receive any type of email confirmation.

Albany does not send a complete email after finalizing, correct? I finalized but did not receive any type of email confirmation.
I finalized as well and did not get a complete email

5. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.

Is this a gap-year question, or only referring to moments when you literally weren't doing anything? I wouldn't consider volunteering/working after I graduated to be an "extended gap in activity." Anybody else have thoughts?

5. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.

Is this a gap-year question, or only referring to moments when you literally weren't doing anything? I wouldn't consider volunteering/working after I graduated to be an "extended gap in activity." Anybody else have thoughts?
i worked for 5 years after graduating from college before starting my post-bacc, so i put my "gap year" essay there for sure. but i def see what you're saying!

i worked for 5 years after graduating from college before starting my post-bacc, so i put my "gap year" essay there for sure. but i def see what you're saying!

I've decided I'll just treat it like a normal gap year question. Best case scenario I answer what they wanted to know, worst case scenario they have to read a few hundred more characters and might learn something about me.