2021-2022 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @seanm028 for sharing this year's questions!
Thank you to @cafemocha for updating us with phrasing changes on questions #1 and #6.

Moderator Notes: The phrases in orange are places where the wording differed in the prompts seen on the Albany portal, compared to prompts seen in an early e-mail secondary invitation from Albany. I have updated the prompts now (7/19/2021).
I think the change in wording on question #6 is trivial, but the change in wording on question #1 might affect how you would write your response.
The earlier version had just asked what you had been doing since your last application, while this one asks you to
critique yourself.
As always, we try to provide accurate information on SDN, but remind you to read all communications from schools closely and carefully as those communications are the definitive source.

2021-2022 Albany Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns? (1,000 characters)
2. The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item. (1,000 characters)
3. If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19. (1,000 characters)
4. Describe yourself: (1,000 characters)
5. Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. (1,000 characters)
6. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain.
Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters)
7. Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (1,000 characters)
8. In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1,000 characters)
9. If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service, please indicate why:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've already written about my gap years for the "If you have previously applied to medical school..." prompt. Should I further explain them in the "Please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history" prompt, or would I just be unnecessarily repeating myself?

I've already written about my gap years for the "If you have previously applied to medical school..." prompt. Should I further explain them in the "Please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history" prompt, or would I just be unnecessarily repeating myself?
Nah I think you're good! No need to repeat yourself. Unless maybe there is a different aspect of your gap year thst you didn't mention yet! By the way, are you referring to the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah I think you're good! No need to repeat yourself. Unless maybe there is a different aspect of your gap year thst you didn't mention yet! By the way, are you referring to the secondary application?
Yep, just using the prompts from the last few years as a guide.

I think Albany sends out their secondary a week or two after the initially submission day. So I would imagine you'd receive it this week or next week. (I am a reapplicant).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it will be coming soon. I am a permanent resident and received a request from them for my green card saying that it was needed to verify for my eligibility to continue my application. Be patient friends, it should be coming within the next few days according to the emails I exchanged with them.

Reactions: 4 users
Could someone please post the secondary prompts?

Could someone please post the secondary prompts?
  • If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then? (1,000 characters)
  • The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item. (1,000 characters)
  • If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19. (1,000 characters)
  • Describe yourself: (1,000 characters)
  • Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. (1,000 characters)
  • Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters)
  • Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (1,000 characters)
  • In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1,000 characters)
@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 user
  • If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then? (1,000 characters)
  • The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine. Please tell us how the COVID-19 epidemic has changed the landscape of medicine from your perspective. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item. (1,000 characters)
  • If applicable, please use the space below to explain any ways in which your ability to meet the course prerequisite requirements were impacted by COVID-19. (1,000 characters)
  • Describe yourself: (1,000 characters)
  • Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. (1,000 characters)
  • Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. (1,000 characters)
  • Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (1,000 characters)
  • In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1,000 characters)
@wysdoc
how did you get these? thought no one had secondary yet

d76da7787e430594ef31ab594eec49f9.png

Let's wait to hear from someone who gets this year's secondary questions directly from the school, because I want you all to be using the current ones and not wasting your time on a prompt that may be out of date.
Thanks for understanding and be kind to each other!

Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 340513

Let's wait to hear from someone who gets this year's secondary questions directly from the school, because I want you all to be using the current ones and not wasting your time on a prompt that may be out of date.
Thanks for understanding and be kind to each other!
I received these directly from Albany in a secondary invite yesterday.

Thank you for the chill vibes! We all need more of those.

Reactions: 6 users
+1 did you guys also get another email saying "you agreed to monitor your application on your own? This was the only school that I received an email like this
Yeah. The portal is a little weird in that you submit your secondary application, and then you have to go back and click "Finalize" after they confirm receipt of your secondary. Only then are you complete. I submitted my secondary yesterday, but it still says it's pending, so I'll have to go back and finalize whenever they update that. It's been 24 hours and still nothing. It says it can take them 24–48 hours to update your portal after you submit the secondary. The portal also says they haven't received my MCAT, which is weird.

So basically, I see where this email is coming from. It would be easy to submit your secondary and assume you're done (like just about every other school). They're trying to let you know that it's your responsibility to ensure that the entire application does, in fact, get submitted.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. The portal is a little weird in that you submit your secondary application, and then you have to go back and click "Finalize" after they confirm receipt of your secondary. Only then are you complete. I submitted my secondary yesterday, but it still says it's pending, so I'll have to go back and finalize whenever they update that. It's been 24 hours and still nothing. It says it can take them 24–48 hours to update your portal after you submit the secondary. The portal also says they haven't received my MCAT, which is weird.

So basically, I see where this email is coming from. It would be easy to submit your secondary and assume you're done (like just about every other school). They're trying to let you know that it's your responsibility to ensure that the entire application does, in fact, get submitted.
Wait but I didnt submit thats why I'm confused I didn't submit all I did was pay

Yes you are exactly right.

During my previous cycle, I saw so many posts of people saying "I thought I submitted, but I did not. and I found this out 2 months later".

I think that "warning" email automatically goes out to everyone who gets the secondary; I don't think submitting anything triggers it.
Agreed. I got this email immediately after logging into the portal

so how are ya'll approaching "describe yourself"? your life history, traits you think you embody, experiences you've had? stuff not about medicine? I'm sure everyone will say "a mixture of it all" tho haha

so how are ya'll approaching "describe yourself"? your life history, traits you think you embody, experiences you've had? stuff not about medicine? I'm sure everyone will say "a mixture of it all" tho haha
I tried to stay away from medicine since the entirety of my app is about that. Instead, I talked about myself, my family, my hobbies, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else try to save and have a heart attack thinking it was submitted? Just me? Ok..

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how to submit MCAT Score? It says no on the status but my AAMC application includes my MCAT score.

Anyone know how to submit MCAT Score? It says no on the status but my AAMC application includes my MCAT score.
Same for me. I'm going to wait the full 48 hours and then see if the MCAT updates when the secondary updates (supplemental application still says pending). If it isn't updated by then, I'm going to send them an email.

Reactions: 2 users
Same for me. I'm going to wait the full 48 hours and then see if the MCAT updates when the secondary updates (supplemental application still says pending). If it isn't updated by then, I'm going to send them an email.
following for same MCAT issue

+1

as of 7/17/21 MCAT not received and everything but LORs marked as pending.

You probably wouldn't have to send in anything. I did not have to send in my MCAT score separately to them during my first cycle. I was marked complete soon after. But let's see

What are you guys doing for the most meaningful experience one? Kinda crazy we need to do that again... Are you choosing one you already wrote about as meaningful on AMCAS? Or doing a 4th one..

What are you guys doing for the most meaningful experience one? Kinda crazy we need to do that again... Are you choosing one you already wrote about as meaningful on AMCAS? Or doing a 4th one..

I chose one of my three I already listed as most meaningful and just focused on other aspects.

I ended up choosing a fourth one. We already talked about 3 in the primary app, might as well give them some new information

A couple of the secondary questions in the AMC portal are worded a little differently than what is listed at the beginning of this thread. Just wanted to provide some clarification because it could change the content of some applicants' answers:

1. If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns? (1000 Characters)

6. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history. (1000 Characters)