2020-2021 California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: California Northstate University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
(Required) Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM? (250 words maximum)

(Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)

(Required) What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum)

(Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)

(Required) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

(Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

(Required) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

(Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)

(Required) What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum)

(Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)

(Required) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

(Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

(Required) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

@TheDataKing
I am glad to see they removed that weird "following instructions accurately" prompt from last year

Reactions: 2 users

Maybe I'm dense but does this mean if you took a gap year between HS and college? Or is it also for people who are taking gap years between college and med school? Thank you!

@TheDataKing
Would it be appropriate to insert my adversity essay for their question asking for greatest challenge pursuing medicine? Or are they stricly asking for problem regarding academics/college?

Has anyone else submitted their primary really early and still not received a secondary? IS

So the third question isn't a normal adversity question right? It's specifically asking about challenges on our pre-medical journey?
Like for example, my typical adversity essay has been about losing weight - that wouldn't be applicable here I'm assuming?

So the third question isn't a normal adversity question right? It's specifically asking about challenges on our pre-medical journey?
Like for example, my typical adversity essay has been about losing weight - that wouldn't be applicable here I'm assuming?
I interpreted it in the same way. Should be some challenges that are more relevant such as academic gap, socioeconomic difficulties, etc. (I guess).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they not waive secondaries for FAP applicants? I read last year's thread, where many said they denied FAP secondary waiver and I'm wondering if it's the same this year. I've emailed them but have yet to hear back.

Given that, I'm also wondering if marking "yes" for "Are you eligible to participate in the Fee Assistance program (FAP) with AMCAS?" question is a detriment LOL as it's probably a sign I won't be able to afford their for-profit, highend medical education hahah..

Last edited:
^In case anyone's wondering, they don't waive secondary fees for FAP applications. Got an email response today.

• Sad

Maybe I'm dense but does this mean if you took a gap year between HS and college? Or is it also for people who are taking gap years between college and med school? Thank you!
I have the same question!! Other than my current gap years between undergrad and med school my education has been continuous, so idk if i'm supposed to answer this?? :/

So it appears that if we are using a Committee Letter we still need an additional letter separate from the packet? Interesting...

Where did it say this?
There's a checkbox in the secondary. Perhaps I'm interpreting it incorrectly, though...

Category 1: A Healthcare Provider (Recommended)
Category 2: A Science professor teaching the BCPM course (Required)
Category 3: Other (e.g. Research Advisor, Non-Science Professor, Community Leaders, Employer Superior).

"In lieu of the three LOR’s above, applicants can choose to submit one Pre-Med Committee Letter AND one letter from either category above."

has anyone received a complete email?
No email, just the "CNUCOM's Admissions Office has received your Supplemental application for 2020-2021" message on the secondary portal.

No email, just the "CNUCOM's Admissions Office has received your Supplemental application for 2020-2021" message on the secondary portal.
thank you! yeah that's all I got too

How long does it take to receive a secondary? I submitted 8/13 and I have still not gotten one. OOS ORM

So I missed the secondary deadline for this school (in part due to all of the craziness that has been going on with COVID-19, but also in part to having to complete other secondary apps and not even opening this one until after the deadline passed). Should I email to ask them for an extension or is it a lost cause?

ORM, IS, 3.73, 3.68, 515 if that makes any difference.

So I missed the secondary deadline for this school (in part due to all of the craziness that has been going on with COVID-19, but also in part to having to complete other secondary apps and not even opening this one until after the deadline passed). Should I email to ask them for an extension or is it a lost cause?

ORM, IS, 3.73, 3.68, 515 if that makes any difference.
Wait theres an actual hard set secondary deadline they wanted it by?

Was planning to apply here, but after doing some research, this school seems to be one that people caution against. Can anyone provide me specific information about what exactly is going on at this school? Also, if you are aware of this cautionary information, why are you still deciding to apply here?

Just trying to gain as much unbiased insight as I can.
Thanks.

Does anyone know if a letter from a healthcare provider is required? On their website, it says that it is recommended. However, on the supplemental application, it says to pick one of the following options with the individual letter writer option being "1 letter from a healthcare provider; 1 letter from a BCPM professor that taught your course; 1 letter from the other category".

I have been verified for over a week but have yet to receive secondary. Is this normal or should I email?

Was planning to apply here, but after doing some research, this school seems to be one that people caution against. Can anyone provide me specific information about what exactly is going on at this school? Also, if you are aware of this cautionary information, why are you still deciding to apply here?

Just trying to gain as much unbiased insight as I can.
Thanks.

I believe there was a post on SDN by one of the big-name accounts that explained that CNU is a for-profit institution that did some shady things in its first year, like not filling out something on time to give their students access to certain loan programs, landing it in hot water with LCME. However, since then they performed well in the match and they have provisional accreditation (stage 4/5 in the accreditation process, corrected by GameOfZones).

Though this doesn't remove all skepticism, I chose to apply to CNU because I'm IS California and I wish to attend medical school in the contiguous United States. To put it simply, id rather go to CNU than to no school at all – even if it is a lesser MD school.

Unfortunately, I missed that 3-week deadline lol. I may email them, but honestly don't know if it's worth it either.

Last edited:
I believe there was a post on SDN by one of the big-name accounts that explained that CNU is a for-profit institution that did some shady things in its first year, like not filling out something on time to give their students access to certain loan programs, landing it in hot water with LCME. However, since then they performed well in the match and are fully accredited (I believe).

Though this doesn't remove all skepticism, I chose to apply to CNU because I'm IS California and I wish to attend medical school in the contiguous United States. To put it simply, id rather go to CNU than to no school at all – even if it is a lesser MD school.

Unfortunately, I missed that 3-week deadline lol. I may email them, but honestly don't know if it's worth it either.

I think they are still under "provisional" accreditation according to this.

But nonetheless, I'm also applying for the same reason. It's a CA school and I'm a CA ORM so it's in my best interest to apply to as many CA schools as possible, even schools like Northstate who have a shady history.

for the secondaries that have a 250 word cap, is it ok if i have more than 250 words but I make the character limit?

For people who have received the secondary - do you know if an e-signature (typed out) is acceptable for their forms? I'm not sure how else to sign, since the Adobe online signature looks like a child drew it on with a crayon.

For people who have received the secondary - do you know if an e-signature (typed out) is acceptable for their forms? I'm not sure how else to sign, since the Adobe online signature looks like a child drew it on with a crayon.
I was going to print it, sign it, and scan + upload the pdf

Anyone else applying here (current students or applicants) know how strict they are with their policy that all pre-requisites must be completed within nine years to your enrollment date? I am very non-traditional and some of my classes don’t quite make the cutoff, and I am wondering if I just flushed away my money by filling out this secondary since there is no way I am re-taking any of these classes. Should I email the adcom? Any advice would be appreciated...thank you!!

Anyone else applying here (current students or applicants) know how strict they are with their policy that all pre-requisites must be completed within nine years to your enrollment date? I am very non-traditional and some of my classes don’t quite make the cutoff, and I am wondering if I just flushed away my money by filling out this secondary since there is no way I am re-taking any of these classes. Should I email the adcom? Any advice would be appreciated...thank you!!

Personally i don’t see the harm in emailing them. I know some schools have made some exceptions with covid so i would email them

For the question asking: why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM?

Does anyone mind providing insight into how they answered this question?

I'm looking at their website for specific interest groups or organizations that I'm interested in being involved in, but I can't seem to find anything on their website.

I also plan on pursuing primary care and staying in California. Does anyone know if this school is primary care focused and wants to train physicians who will serve in Elk Grove and beyond?

For the question asking: why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM?

Does anyone mind providing insight into how they answered this question?

I'm looking at their website for specific interest groups or organizations that I'm interested in being involved in, but I can't seem to find anything on their website.

I also plan on pursuing primary care and staying in California. Does anyone know if this school is primary care focused and wants to train physicians who will serve in Elk Grove and beyond?

In regards to the question about primary care, they talk about the primary care shortage in that area somewhere on their website (I forgot where). To what extent that is their mission, I do not know.

so just a warning/heads up to all present and future applicants who have pre-reqs over nine years old by potential matriculation date, it appears that CNUCOM is not making exceptions to this rule for any reason, essentially wasting $100 of my hard-earned money. So definitely don't apply here thinking that they will look at things on a case-by-case basis because apparently they are too good for that :rolleyes:

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
so just a warning/heads up to all present and future applicants who have pre-reqs over nine years old by potential matriculation date, it appears that CNUCOM is not making exceptions to this rule for any reason, essentially wasting $100 of my hard-earned money. So definitely don't apply here thinking that they will look at things on a case-by-case basis because apparently they are too good for that :rolleyes:
which prereqs? Like including something like english?