2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many applicants are interviewed and, of those, how many are offered admission?

I believe it is around ~700 interviews, ~400 acceptances, ~180 matriculants

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone with a 512 MCAT heard back yet? Haven't heard either way...

I'm in this limbo with you: no rejection, no II. Idk what's happening and why all of these applicants with higher stats are getting rejected while I'm just sitting here not knowing what is happening. I submitted 7/22.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Of 400 accepts only 180 matriculate? Seems low, what gives?

I think that at most school's acceptances are usually double the amount of matriculants. Of course it can vary school by school, but this is a rule of thumb.
Keck is an expensive, private university that gives minimum aid, I would think that is a main reason for students choosing other schools.

Of 400 accepts only 180 matriculate? Seems low, what gives?
I feel like a lot of schools are about a 1 to 2 ratio... not to mention Keck's price tag likely turning people away

by the way, complete mid July and have not heard anything. everyone is leaving me hanging!

Because all the CA kids who have the opportunity to choose between an acceptance at a UC versus Keck will choose the UC for tuition purposes.
and after a year of living in CA even OOS get in state tuition, I believe

Because all the CA kids who have the opportunity to choose between an acceptance at a UC versus Keck will choose the UC for tuition purposes.

Tuition is high here but there's plenty of people in my class who were accepted to UCs and went with Keck. If you're lucky enough to get into multiple schools you should really think about other factors like location, culture, grading systems, and so on to decide. In my case I decided spending more but being close to my significant other was worth it over being depressed and far away from anyone I knew.

Recently Interviewed here. It was an incredible experience, dean Arias was amazing, the med students were amazing and the other interviewee's were also amazing. I could really see myself going here and I hope I get the privilege come October. To everyone interviewing soon, you're gonna love it and the best advice I could possibly give you is to be yourself.

Reactions: 9 users
Recently Interviewed here. It was an incredible experience, dean Arias was amazing, the med students were amazing and the other interviewee's were also amazing. I could really see myself going here and I hope I get the privilege come October. To everyone interviewing soon, you're gonna love it and the best advice I could possibly give you is to be yourself.
Thank you for posting this. I have an interview in October and I now feel much more at ease.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone tell me if they see a message for their rejection in their communication portal? My email was disabled during the the massive bloodbath

II, dates were in Nov and Dec

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any rejections from Keck? complete mid july and nooothing!

Complete date? MCAT score? Congratulations!
Complete last week in July and MCAT 515+ (sorry I'm paranoid about anonymity...but I haven't seen anyone post about accept or reject with my MCAT score if that helps narrow it down)

USC Interview Invite just now!

Edit: secondary received 7/7, submitted 7/7, it's been more than 2 months of silence!

Edit 2: Wow, the earliest interview date at this point is the first week of December!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I don't understand this. MCAT 520+ and 3.9+ gpa (s and c) from top 10 university and have only gotten an in state interview and havent heard back from the other 24 schools even though I was complete everywhere by like July 20th. People say submitting early helps, yet I have received nothing. I have the stats, ECs, and a publication. This is pretty ridiculous at this point i mean what more am I supposed to do

Complete last week in July and MCAT 515+ (sorry I'm paranoid about anonymity...but I haven't seen anyone post about accept or reject with my MCAT score if that helps narrow it down)

Yea I'm 515 too and complete for over a month and nothing

Could it start with 51 and end with a 6?

I don't understand this. MCAT 520+ and 3.9+ gpa (s and c) from top 10 university and have only gotten an in state interview and havent heard back from the other 24 schools even though I was complete everywhere by like July 20th. People say submitting early helps, yet I have received nothing. I have the stats, ECs, and a publication. This is pretty ridiculous at this point i mean what more am I supposed to do

That is strange but I think it's important to remember that it's still early in the cycle and that nobody is entitled to anything in this process, regardless of stats.

Reactions: 4 users
II! Complete late July, 516/3.79, IS. Scheduled for early December.

Reactions: 7 users

You're already ahead of the game if you have an interview. Most people don't get that far. Don't worry about it.

I have MCAT 519 and 3.8 gpa from UCLA and still waiting for first II. So just chill out and wait.

Reactions: 10 users
Just got rejected. Completion date 8/26/17. Maybe I shouldn't have self-assigned my nickname as "hot sauce." ROFL

Regular MD. cGPA 3.8; sGPA: 3.64; MCAT: 512, non-URM, non-traditional applicant (been out for about 4 years), decent ECs, relatively strong LORs, OOS.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got rejected. Completion date 8/26/17. Maybe I shouldn't have self-assigned my nickname as "hot sauce." ROFL

Regular MD. cGPA 3.8; sGPA: 3.64; MCAT: 512, non-URM, non-traditional applicant (been out for about 4 years), decent ECs, relatively strong LORs, OOS.

Good luck everyone!
Rooting for you hot sauce!!

Congrats! I heard that USC has a soft-cut off of 515!

Last edited:
***My apologies, I meant soft cut-off of 515 for IS applicants (might be just for Asians though).

So USC has this policy where an existing Keck student can review your app with the Dean. Heard from 2 friends applying last year who did this with their Keck friends. The Dean told their Keck friends that their apps were not competitive for Keck because they didn't reach 515. (n=2).

515 = "soft" cut-off score then

***My apologies, I meant soft cut-off of 515 for IS applicants (might be just for Asians though).

So USC has this policy where an existing Keck student can review your app with the Dean. Heard from 2 friends applying last year who did this with their Keck friends. The Dean told their Keck friends that their apps were not competitive for Keck because they didn't reach 515. (n=2).

515 = "soft" cut-off score then
I read in last year's thread about the "cut-off" being a 33. Looks like they're raising the standards (to ~34) if this is the case, but I wonder why this cut-off would apply only to IS?

I read in last year's thread about the "cut-off" being a 33. Looks like they're raising the standards (to ~34) if this is the case, but I wonder why this cut-off would apply only to IS?

Oh I didn't say only IS. I'm only saying n=2 were IS.

I've also heard something similar from past and current Keck med students. Their soft "cut-off" is supposedly a 33, but you'll have a much harder time scoring an interview if you don't meet their avg (35 in the past and currently 515 acc to MSAR).

I could be wrong though.

Do they care a lot more about mcat than gpa then? Although I have 515 that seems like a very high cutoff

Yeah they seem show greater interest in higher MCAT score

Yeah they seem show greater interest in higher MCAT score
That's not necessarily the case as many high MCAT applicants were rejected quite quickly

That's not necessarily the case as many high MCAT applicants were rejected quite quickly

If you look at last year's thread they just prefer to make a decision on high stats applicants very early. By around december the rest of the mid-low stat applicants started getting rejected pretty rapidly.

If you look at last year's thread they just prefer to make a decision on high stats applicants very early. By around december the rest of the mid-low stat applicants started getting rejected pretty rapidly.

What was considered "mid-low" if I may ask?

USC has a bit of (a lot of) an alumni/Ivy bias so if you come from an Ivy or go to USC, there is also a lot more leeway when it comes to MCAT scores.

So what does it mean if someone >520 hasn't heard back, yet?