2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what does it mean if someone >520 hasn't heard back, yet?
Since there is a different person reviewing each MCAT score, it could be your person is being slow. Don't worry, Keck has made it clear they are not shy about rejecting people, they don't seem to be into silent rejections.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Since there is a different person reviewing each MCAT score, it could be your person is being slow. Don't worry, Keck has made it clear they are not shy about rejecting people, they don't seem to be into silent rejections.

True, however they also kept a lot of people on a silent hold all the way until december and january last year before rejecting them (even people that applied in mid July).

True, however they also kept a lot of people on a silent hold all the way until december and january last year before rejecting them (even people that applied in mid July).
Also true, but some of those people also got interviews...so basically all I'm saying is that if you don't hear from them there is no way to know what the decision will be until they give you one.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the MSAR, their median MCAT score for matriculating students last year was 512. So they are definitely accepting a lot of students with scores less than 515.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected! Complete about 2 weeks ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I wonder if it's a person for each score. Or a person for a group of scores like +/-1 point.

I think it's the latter. Anyone know ?

I wonder if it's a person for each score. Or a person for a group of scores like +/-1 point.

I think it's the latter. Anyone know ?
I would have to guess that the less common scores are grouped, or grouped in with more common scores. Like I can't imagine there are too many sub 500 scores applying, and a 525+ is pretty rare by definition. So like to have one person do all the 528s seems silly. Maybe one person for the more common scores and then the others are parsed out amongst them? Or a few people just have a really light work load lol.

I would have to guess that the less common scores are grouped, or grouped in with more common scores. Like I can't imagine there are too many sub 500 scores applying, and a 525+ is pretty rare by definition. So like to have one person do all the 528s seems silly. Maybe one person for the more common scores and then the others are parsed out amongst them? Or a few people just have a really light work load lol.

Agreed. Ugh I wanna hear backkkk

Do y'all know if it's the same for URMs? I have a 506 but the rest of my app is pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a URM with a 506 MCAT and I got a II on 8/9 so idk how they are reviewing apps. I do know that my URM friend (we were complete the same time) has a 519 MCAT and she was rejected a couple of weeks ago. So it must be a very holistic review at USC versus just a numbers situation.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a URM with a 506 MCAT and I got a II on 8/9 so idk how they are reviewing apps. I do know that my URM friend (we were complete the same time) has a 519 MCAT and she was rejected a couple of weeks ago. So it must be a very holistic review at USC versus just a numbers situation.

That's awesome congrats! When were you complete and are you OOS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got a secondary 56 days ago. Do you think it's worth completing for USC? I'm complete at 20 other schools and have 3 IIs I'm stoked about. After almost 2 months would they just auto-toss me in the reject pile?

I got a secondary 56 days ago. Do you think it's worth completing for USC? I'm complete at 20 other schools and have 3 IIs I'm stoked about. After almost 2 months would they just auto-toss me in the reject pile?

Go for it. It's too late (anything before end of Sept is still fine). USC secondary is pretty easy and short. My 2cents, submit it!@

I don't mean to come off as an a-hole, but why do people post these types of questions? Who on here would possibly know if submitting now was too late or not? I just don't understand what these posts are looking for. If a random person online says "yes" or "no" does that really impact your decision very much? If you think you have a chance numbers wise, and you can afford it, go ahead. If not, don't.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't mean to come off as an a-hole, but why do people post these types of questions? Who on here would possibly know if submitting now was too late or not? I just don't understand what these posts are looking for. If a random person online says "yes" or "no" does that really impact your decision very much? If you think you have a chance numbers wise, and you can afford it, go ahead. If not, don't.
I think there's a lot of collective wisdom on these forums that I can't access without asking. I would have good, specific answers to this question for other schools, and I could point you to some source material. I don't really care about a random person's "yes" or "no", as you put it, but am open to hearing anecdotal experience from others who may have been through it already. There are often current students posting on these threads, or other applicants in a different phase of the cycle who can drop some knowledge.

Reactions: 7 users
Just got rejected. Complete end of August, MCAT 511. F you USC, you're in a horrible location anyway.

Just got rejected. Complete end of August, MCAT 511. F you USC, you're in a horrible location anyway.

I'm so sorry about this. Mine was complete at USC about 08/20. Absolutely no news so far. Hope your other 40+ schools treated you better. Perhaps there is a need to replace the goat with something else? Like vegan? I know Seitan recipes.

I'm so sorry about this. Mine was complete at USC about 08/20. Absolutely no news so far. Hope your other 40+ schools treated you better. Perhaps there is a need to replace the goat with something else? Like vegan? I know Seitan recipes.
It's probably because I went to their rival school. Even the devil couldn't help me with that. But USC is in a SUPER sketchy neighborhood, so I sort of lucked out. It's okay USC was my biggest "reach school" in terms of MCAT. Every other school I applied to has an MCAT below 514.

I'm just really trying not to take it personally! Haha, getting a rejection so early has got me worried about all the other schools.

It's probably because I went to their rival school. Even the devil couldn't help me with that. But USC is in a SUPER sketchy neighborhood, so I sort of lucked out. It's okay USC was my biggest "reach school" in terms of MCAT. Every other school I applied to has an MCAT below 514.

I'm just really trying not to take it personally! Haha, getting a rejection so early has got me worried about all the other schools.

What is USC's rival? Stanford?

Keep your head up, it's early in the cycle! I got rejected from UCI less than one business day later and have a few interviews at solid places, so try not to let the early rejection get you down.

Keep your head up, it's early in the cycle! I got rejected from UCI less than one business day later and have a few interviews at solid places, so try not to let the early rejection get you down.
UCLA! It's absolutely huge. Every year during our games we have to cover up our mascots or else we go vandalize them. Like it's sacrilegious to be associated with USC.
Omg UCI? I'd die. That's my dream school. May I ask what your stats are? Also your dog icon is so cute!

Ouch. Looks like UCI just robbed you out of a secondary fee and then screened you without thoroughly looking at your application lol.

Doubt that was the reason lol. I personally know 10-15 UCLA grads that currently attend Keck.
Wishing you best of luck throughout the remainder of the cycle!

Doubt that was the reason lol. I personally know 10-15 UCLA grads that currently attend Keck.
Wishing you best of luck throughout the remainder of the cycle!
Sshh...I'm trying to make myself feel better about this rejection and not take it personally. :arghh: And thanks! :)

UCLA! It's absolutely huge. Every year during our games we have to cover up our mascots or else we go vandalize them. Like it's sacrilegious to be associated with USC.
Omg UCI? I'd die. That's my dream school. May I ask what your stats are? Also your dog icon is so cute!

CA Resident, 3.65, 515, kinda diversity applicant (LGBT), great ECs / work experience
My guess is I didn't have enough clinical hours racked up

• University of California, Los Angeles: 24 (13%)
  • University of California, Berkeley: 24 (13%)
  • University of Southern California: 20(11%)
This is straight from USC's website. There is def no bias against "rival" institutions, they accept more students from UCLA than USC (at least for the class of 2021).
Sorry to hear about your rejection though. Good luck with your other schools, wishing you the best!

Reactions: 2 users
This is straight from USC's website. There is def no bias against "rival" institutions, they accept more students from UCLA than USC (at least for the class of 2021).
Sorry to hear about your rejection though. Good luck with your other schools, wishing you the best!
No I know. I'm just saying it to make myself feel better.

Shoot if you didn't get in I don't have a chance :(

I dunno about all that. This is all kind of a crapshoot. Comparing who gets an II vs who doesn't proves to me it's not so cut and dry.
It's not over 'till it's over. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

Can you link, please? I clicked around for a few minutes but couldn't find this page. I'm curious to see if my CA school is on this list.

Edit: of course, as soon as I post, I find it. Bottom of this page for anyone who'd like to check it out:
http://keck.usc.edu/education/md-program/admissions/

Just got II

LM 75, submitted July 11

Reactions: 5 users
Looking at dates right now...looks like no spots open til January

Just got my first II! First available date was 1/9/18.

Reactions: 3 users
What's gg wp? Whatever it is I think I'm in the same boat :'( Complete since July 14th.

What's gg wp? Whatever it is I think I'm in the same boat :'( Complete since July 14th.

Gamer lingo. Good game, well played. A phrase commonly said/typed at the end of a round to express courtesy and politeness, which then morphed into a phrase to sarcastically imply the early demise of an endeavor.

Reactions: 6 users
Got my second II an hour ago here! Complete 7/24. I was getting worried after over a month of silence following my first one.

Like stated above, first open date is 1/9/18. Does anyone know when they interview up to?