2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Short-answer (3-5 sentences):
  1. What is the most fun you’ve had lately?
  2. If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
  3. If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
  4. Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.
Essay (200 words):
  1. Write a sentence that is not true, then tell us why you wish it were.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
USC Interview Feedback
Interviewed at USC? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know whether this school is historically receptive to accepting international applicants?

Does anyone know whether this school is historically receptive to accepting international applicants?

Not really. But they do say on their MSAR that they accept international students. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I submitted my primary for Keck, I marked that I was applying for the dual MD/MPH program. However, I recently got an email from the AAMC saying that the MD-grad program I selected will no longer be offered and to change my designation. Does anybody know why the MD/MPH program will no longer be offered? (I am assuming the email was in reference to the 4-year program since the 5-year program still seems like it is an option for students to apply to by their second year)

@gyngyn:

Short-answer (no apparent limit):
  3. If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
  4. Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.
Essay (no apparent limit):

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn:

Short-answer (no apparent limit):
Essay (no apparent limit):
Looks like they got rid of one question from last year about what aspect of medicine causes the most concern

4. Write a sentence that is not true, then tell us why you wish it were.

"I will be accepted to USC Keck with a full tuition scholarship. I'm just a poor college kid. Please love me."

Reactions: 16 users
Secondary received this morning. I actually applied last year and was on the alternate list, and still technically am. However, upon logging into my newly minted secondary account, I find that I can no longer access my previous alternate list thing. Does anyone know what's up with this? I'll probably e-mail/call them just to check but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Secondary received this morning. I actually applied last year and was on the alternate list, and still technically am. However, upon logging into my newly minted secondary account, I find that I can no longer access my previous alternate list thing. Does anyone know what's up with this? I'll probably e-mail/call them just to check but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
what's the alternate list? what were your stats

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the alternate list? what were your stats

The alternate list is basically their waitlist. I had a 515 MCAT and a 3.69 overall GPA; are there any other stats that I need to mention right now?

The alternate list is basically their waitlist. I had a 515 MCAT and a 3.69 overall GPA; are there any other stats that I need to mention right now?
those are good stats, you didn't get any acceptance? how many interviews did u get

I don't know about similar experience, but my friend told me he received his official rejection from USC a few days ago. He was also put on the alternate list

those are good stats, you didn't get any acceptance? how many interviews did u get

No acceptances, two interviews. I'm Chinese, if that makes a difference. Maybe I just didn't do it right? Still waiting on two, but alas.

No acceptances, two interviews. I'm Chinese, if that makes a difference. Maybe I just didn't do it right? Still waiting on two, but alas.
are you a US citizen? did u apply really top heavy

515/3.69 is a pretty good combination for at least a couple interview

are you a US citizen? did u apply really top heavy

515/3.69 is a pretty good combination for at least a couple interview

I am a US Citizen but you're right, I do believe I made the big mistake of applying top heavy last year. I also think I focused on a lot of research based schools even though I want to go into primary care. I hopefully have fixed that this rotation, though I'm also hoping that I can still make it into one of the two schools I'm still waitlisted at from last year.

**please don't quote**

for the "underrepresented in medicine" question, are they referring to racial/ethnic underrepresentation, or if we identify as say, a minority sexual orientation, would that be applicable as well?

Most schools define underrepresented in medicine as only racial/ethnic. In fact, if you look at AMCAS medical minority applicant registry (Med-MAR), they define underrepresented medicine as racial/ethnic only, and explicitly mention LGBT as not underrepresented.

Also had a gay friend last cycle apply; he did not check for "underrepresented in medicine" on any supplementaries.

uh.. did anyone else submit there application but not received a confirmation email, and have the "submit application" check mark still red/incomplete? it says I submitted in text and the button disappeared, but it also says incomplete.....

Reactions: 1 user
uh.. did anyone else submit there application but not received a confirmation email, and have the "submit application" check mark still red/incomplete? it says I submitted in text and the button disappeared, but it also says incomplete.....

I don't think they have processed you yet. I submitted and had a red incomplete check for 2 days before it became complete. I never got a confirmation email but by checking "status" on the secondary app. portal, there is a line saying that the app is complete and under review by committee.

Is it necessary to relate these responses to medicine at all? I have a response typed out for my false sentence prompt that is on the lighter side but also sort of a cop out answer (asking a genie for endless wishes kind of thing). At the same time, I have a more serious one that also relates to medicine, but I'm not sure that it shows my personality as much since it's more of a politically correct answer :confused:

Can any successful students talk about what they wrote about?

Is it necessary to relate these responses to medicine at all? I have a response typed out for my false sentence prompt that is on the lighter side but also sort of a cop out answer (asking a genie for endless wishes kind of thing). At the same time, I have a more serious one that also relates to medicine, but I'm not sure that it shows my personality as much since it's more of a politically correct answer :confused:

Can any successful students talk about what they wrote about?

Well, I got an interview last year but didn't make it in. Still, if you don't mind me sharing:

I talked about acting in the Lunar New Year performance held by my school.

I called myself Smile cause I like making people laugh.

I wanted to donate money to charities for education.

I wanted to get research funding for my summer research but didn't make it.

The sentence I chose was "It's hard to tell a lie."

Again, I'm not accepted and still on the alternate list, and in all honesty probably won't make it in this year but I did get an interview (in February, though) which I was happy about!

Well, I got an interview last year but didn't make it in. Still, if you don't mind me sharing:

I talked about acting in the Lunar New Year performance held by my school.

I called myself Smile cause I like making people laugh.

I wanted to donate money to charities for education.

I wanted to get research funding for my summer research but didn't make it.

The sentence I chose was "It's hard to tell a lie."

Again, I'm not accepted and still on the alternate list, and in all honesty probably won't make it in this year but I did get an interview (in February, though) which I was happy about!

Thanks for the insight! It seems like most people that were successful from last year's thread also did something not entirely related to medicine so I think I'll go that route too. This secondary seems so easy but it's actually pretty difficult to get into the right mindset for >__<

Thanks for the insight! It seems like most people that were successful from last year's thread also did something not entirely related to medicine so I think I'll go that route too. This secondary seems so easy but it's actually pretty difficult to get into the right mindset for >__<

Personally I loved it! I enjoy creative writing a lot and it's a short prompt, so it was a nice relaxing break from the flood of secondaries flying in. This probably sounds like a broken record by now, but what people keep telling me is not to say what you think they want to hear, but to say what you really want to say. These prompts can actually be really fun if you let it, so try and let it be fun!

So from what i'm reading, it's completely okay to go the creative route, right? i'm worried that about the possibility that adcoms might not think i'm taking this seriously if im too creative or light-hearted about these prompts. am i overthinking this?

So from what i'm reading, it's completely okay to go the creative route, right? i'm worried that about the possibility that adcoms might not think i'm taking this seriously if im too creative or light-hearted about these prompts. am i overthinking this?

In last year's thread, someone who got an II talked about how he wished one of his favorite TV shows didn't become crappy, but then related it to some serious stuff about him too

It seems like being creative is definitely the way to go

Hey y'all! I'm an incoming M1 and I just wanted to chime in with regards to the secondary. I personally tried to be as true to my personality and interests as possible and I ended up not talking about medicine at all. I talked a lot about music (trip to a very musical city, playing in music and childhood dreams of sharing a stage with my favorite bands, how I could impact others with music, etc.) and also tried to be very lighthearted but still personal with regards to the nickname.

My suggestion is just do not be afraid to be yourself. I'm sure you are all cool fun people and this secondary is your chance to showcase just how likable and interesting you all are.

Commenting to get on this thread. Good luck to all!

Submitted last night. Good luck everyone!

This was the best secondary ever! I live 5 minutes from this place and most of my neighbors are related to keck med. *crosses my fingers and toes*

Submitted last night! Been volunteering/researching at Keck for the past 4 summers and currently working here for the gap year

Last edited:
I wonder whether it's too immature even for a secondary like Keck's to mention video games. The nickname I was thinking of using references both a historical era of great creativity and also happens to resemble the name of a country in this strategy RPG game series I enjoy playing (which may possibly have helped my strategic thinking).

The alternative is something lame like Bobette the Builder. Heh.

Last edited:
I wonder whether it's too immature even for a secondary like Keck's to mention video games. The nickname I was thinking of using references both a historical era of great creativity and also happens to resemble the name of a country in this strategy RPG game series I enjoy playing (which may possibly have helped my strategic thinking).

I wanted to reference the Office but I'm not sure if that would be frowned upon

I wanted to reference the Office but I'm not sure if that would be frowned upon

I love video games and the Office! Tbh, i feel like answering these super open-ended questions with references to video games, tv shows, and other forms of entertainment shouldn't be frowned upon. USC has an awesome film school and is literally in LA, where E3 also happens every year. i'm not an adcom but this is just what i think lol

I love video games and the Office! Tbh, i feel like answering these super open-ended questions with references to video games, tv shows, and other forms of entertainment shouldn't be frowned upon. USC has an awesome film school and is literally in LA, where E3 also happens every year. i'm not an adcom but this is just what i think lol
I think I'm just going to be super weird and creative about it and hope for the best LOL

Thanks for the input! Hopefully we don't get some stuffy old person who has no idea what these games are reading it. Is that Dr. Arias person I saw in last year's thread still doing all/most of the reading?

(Ah, E3--that awesome event I could never go to despite it conveniently occurring right after finals. Anyone here applying to Keck from USC's neighbor university?)

So based on last year's thread, II came out on July 14th !! Anyone know when they might start doing II this year? so anxious

Is there anything they're looking for in the "write something not true and say why you wish it was" essay? Be idealistic, be funny, be serious... be yourself? The last is a huge catch-all for sure. After some thinking, I got two ideas, both idealistic but one more political/society-leaning.

Last edited:
Uhh I got verified on June 20th (had Keck on my list) and still haven't received a secondary?? Any thoughts? I am applying MD PhD if that makes any difference

Uhh I got verified on June 20th (had Keck on my list) and still haven't received a secondary?? Any thoughts? I am applying MD PhD if that makes any difference

I've seen in other threads that MD-PhD applicants get their secondaries a bit later (way later?)

I've seen in other threads that MD-PhD applicants get their secondaries a bit later (way later?)

Hoping that's the case I've gotten a decent number already so idk what's going on with Keck

Just submitted! That secondary was like a breath of fresh air, so fun and creative.

Have you been marked complete yet? I submitted on Monday 7/10 and am still not marked complete. Called today and they are having their developer put my committee letter into their system which may take until the end of next week. Has anyone else had any problems being marked complete here?

Have you been marked complete yet? I submitted on Monday 7/10 and am still not marked complete. Called today and they are having their developer put my committee letter into their system which may take until the end of next week. Has anyone else had any problems being marked complete here?
I am complete yes; probably just the letter holding it up