2017-2018 University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted today! Hang in there guys, there's still hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree. Admissions was totally misleading about the whole process. When I didn't get a call in January, that was the death knoll. However, when an inquiry was made, the response was, "still February, still March" or "all acceptances not given out". I mean for real? Why keep everyone dangling on a string. There were posters here who interviewed in November who thought they had a chance.
I think interviewing here was a total waste of time. Clearly the "admissions committee" looks at something separate from the interview. I agree, the interviewers they get don't give a realistic picture. Parrish and Diggins both said that they want to make the interview a "pleasant" experience, and that's why they ask preplanned questions. It's plain dumb. They think they are one-upping the traditional interviews, but those are so much more realistic. The point of interviews is to gauge your candidacy. Look at your strengths, question your weaknesses. This silly format asking, "what irritates you" "describe an embarrassing experience" is just nonsense. On top of that Parrish said the interview was the greatest determiner. Its totally false. Like the previous poster said, the interviewers are gonna tell everyone "Good job, nice response" when the questions are preplanned and have nothing to do with application weaknesses. The admissions committee probably does look at your weaknesses without informing you what they think.
I am not sure how the funding controversy is going to play out, but apparently even the Dean is facing some heat and a lot of faculty might leave. I think this school was a poor choice to interview at, and I think Diggins and Parrish were pretty much full of it.

Hi. So I am an MS1 here and I have been lurking on this thread because I am curious as to what our potential next underclassmen are talking about. YOU THOUGH! I really hope you don't mean all of that. I understand the interview process is frustrating and we're in a unique circumstance with how many people we can take. Also, to be fair the administration has only done this once before (for UNLV). From what I hear from the accepted applicants, the process has gotten waaaaay better from the time that I was applying here, and that is great!

For my class, a lot of movement did not happen until the deadline to hold one acceptance has passed in late April. Our class accepted approximately 83, with a fair amount of that 23 coming in after that deadline.

P.S.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if this is the attitude you carry to situations that are out of your control, you're in for a rude awakening if you go to medical school. :)

Reactions: 5 users
P.S.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if this is the attitude you carry to situations that are out of your control, you're in for a rude awakening if you go to medical school. :)

Okay, just bc you are in medical school doesn't mean you get to be some authority to show me up or make judgements on how I am going to handle medical school or not. This is way more than having an "attitude" about something out of my control. UNLV's admissions was flat out dumb and unprofessional. They were 1. not prompt with their decisions. 2.Misled a lot of people with their likelihood of having a chance for admission. They said decisions would be out by March 2nd. Its already the end of March and ppl still don't know. That is just plain irresponsible. I am sure you are proud to have gotten into Unlv and must be enjoying your experience as a student.
However, we are both entitled to our own opinion and just bc you have a good opinion about UNLV, it doesn't make your opinion superior to mine or anybody else.[/QUOTE]

And for the record, most every other admission process in this cycle was better than UNLV's. I did not express any problems with them, because they had their ACT TOGETHER.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna lie, it is pretty irritating when people who got in or who are first years try to act superior towards ppl who did not or who are on the fence. You are not in a position to judge "how I am going to handle medical school". Get off your high horse.

So where’s everyone planning on living?! July 16th is coming quick!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. So I am an MS1 here and I have been lurking on this thread because I am curious as to what our potential next underclassmen are talking about. YOU THOUGH! I really hope you don't mean all of that. I understand the interview process is frustrating and we're in a unique circumstance with how many people we can take. Also, to be fair the administration has only done this once before (for UNLV). From what I hear from the accepted applicants, the process has gotten waaaaay better from the time that I was applying here, and that is great!

For my class, a lot of movement did not happen until the deadline to hold one acceptance has passed in late April. Our class accepted approximately 83, with a fair amount of that 23 coming in after that deadline.

P.S.
23 people were accepted off the alternate list last year? Or am I interpreting you wrong?

I was waitlisted last Thursday afternoon. I'm remaining positive and I hope many of you can receive some closure as well. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
i can confirm there is waitlist movement... my friend got off it last week! keep your head up, everyone

Reactions: 3 users
i can confirm there is waitlist movement... my friend got off it last week! keep your head up, everyone
That's great news. I just wish I knew if I was waitlisted or not.

I feel like at this point I will never hear back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello future UNLV med students,

I am in UNLV dental class of 2022, and I'm currently looking for housemates to share a single-family home with. I’m leasing two rooms in a 3 bed/2 bath, ~2000 sq ft house. The house is located about 2 miles/5 minutes’ drive away from UNLV med school/dental school, and is in one of the few guard-gated communities near the school. Feel free to message me for pictures and more info!

Does anyone know when they will let us know our decision for sure? Still haven’t heard. I assume at this point it is either a waitlist or denial but would be good to know. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when they will let us know our decision for sure? Still haven’t heard. I assume at this point it is either a waitlist or denial but would be good to know. Thanks.

I mean, at some point classes will start and I will assume that I've been rejected. That's where I'm at, hehe!

Did anyone hear back anything at all this week? Rejection? Waitlist? Anything??

Members don't see this ad :)
My theory is they aren't exactly sure how many people they need on the alternate list which is why most of you are in radio silence. If what the above poster said is true, 23 alternates were accepted last year. That is almost 40% of the class. I don't know what statistics are like for other schools but that seems like a huge percentage and it means people are choosing other schools over UNLV. Just be patient. If it happens it happens.

My theory is they aren't exactly sure how many people they need on the alternate list which is why most of you are in radio silence. If what the above poster said is true, 23 alternates were accepted last year. That is almost 40% of the class. I don't know what statistics are like for other schools but that seems like a huge percentage and it means people are choosing other schools over UNLV. Just be patient. If it happens it happens.
I agree. At my interview they said they pulled 20 people off the waitlist. Which I thought was a lot considering everyone got free rides. So maybe more will come off waitlist this year?

I agree. At my interview they said they pulled 20 people off the waitlist. Which I thought was a lot considering everyone got free rides. So maybe more will come off waitlist this year?

The only issue is that other schools that I received waitlists at had a much larger waitlist then people taken off. I mean they had a waitlist that was probably impossible to get off of but they still put ppl on it anyway.

The only issue is that other schools that I received waitlists at had a much larger waitlist then people taken off. I mean they had a waitlist that was probably impossible to get off of but they still put ppl on it anyway.
I guess we'll just have to wait and hope for the best!

Wouldn’t you rather be placed on a probable waitlist than an improbable waitlist?

On the new MSAR it states that 60 applicants were placed on the waitlist. So, there was about a 30% chance of being accepted off the list last year.

Do any current students have any input about anatomy? I interviewed early in the cycle so no one had started anatomy yet, I am curious as to what the opinion is using the virtual anatomy tablets. Thanks!

Am I the only one who still hasn’t heard anything?

Seems strange that some of you guys haven't heard back yet.

With how long they are taking to get back to us, it begs the question, do we even stand a chance at this point

There will be movement come May. There are individuals with multiple acceptances that are shopping right now, especially with 2nd look day coming up. After the April 30th deadline, there will be movement. Be patient :)

There will be movement come May. There are individuals with multiple acceptances that are shopping right now, especially with 2nd look day coming up. After the April 30th deadline, there will be movement. Be patient :)
My only problem is that I don't even know if I'm waitlisted or rejected, hahaha.

My only problem is that I don't even know if I'm waitlisted or rejected, hahaha.

As the saying goes, no news is not necessarily bad news?

My advice, pray you're waitisted (and then accepted) and plan for rejection so you aren't left in the dark this coming cycle if you need to apply.

Anyone know anything about waitlist movement? Have people been receiving calls who are on the waitlist?

Anyone know anything about waitlist movement? Have people been receiving calls who are on the waitlist?
There have been a few people accepted off the wait list. I have a friend who was taken off last week.

There were several people at second look holding multiple acceptances, primarily deciding between UNLV and UNR. Hopefully this is good news for people either way since I’m assuming many on this thread are Nevada residents. Additonally, at least two people I spoke with had already decided to attend other schools so that means there will absolutely be waitlist movement.

I understand this is a frustrating process and anonymously venting is a “good” outlet, but keep in mind that Dr. Parrish no doubt reads this thread. Everyone involved in the admissions process is dedicated to making UNLV the best it can possibly be, but that is a process that will take time. It’s unfair to expect it to be perfect the first few times around. I can only guess not all decisions have gone out yet because they don’t want to reject people who they may give a spot on the waitlist, but they don’t want to waitlist people if there is no hope. I’m assuming anyone on this thread would attend UNLV if they ended up receiving an acceptance at this point, and bashing a potential future school and advising people to avoid applying there is poor form.

Basically, there will still be movement. Remember that administrators read these pages; be kind and professional.

There were several people at second look holding multiple acceptances, primarily deciding between UNLV and UNR. Hopefully this is good news for people either way since I’m assuming many on this thread are Nevada residents. Additonally, at least two people I spoke with had already decided to attend other schools so that means there will absolutely be waitlist movement.

I understand this is a frustrating process and anonymously venting is a “good” outlet, but keep in mind that Dr. Parrish no doubt reads this thread. Everyone involved in the admissions process is dedicated to making UNLV the best it can possibly be, but that is a process that will take time. It’s unfair to expect it to be perfect the first few times around. I can only guess not all decisions have gone out yet because they don’t want to reject people who they may give a spot on the waitlist, but they don’t want to waitlist people if there is no hope. I’m assuming anyone on this thread would attend UNLV if they ended up receiving an acceptance at this point, and bashing a potential future school and advising people to avoid applying there is poor form.

Basically, there will still be movement. Remember that administrators read these pages; be kind and professional.
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Happy to share! While I don’t think this information is “top secret” it wouldn’t make sense for admissions to update those waiting for decisions on these details. But I would be dying for any information if the role was reversed :)

Withdrawing my acceptance, hope it goes to someone without any acceptances! =]

Also, I was at 2nd look and I'll say this-- UNLV is an AMAZING school. Whoever goes here will be in great hands with Dr. Parrish and the rest of the faculty. Of all the schools I visited and interviewed, I haven't met a faculty that is as motivated and invested in working with it students. For example, the school know how important it is for their students to conduct research which is why they make sure every student has a research position and also encourage its students to try for research positions outside of Nevada. They also realize that traditional medical school curriculum lack exposure to patients so they included primary care clerkship as a service learning for the community and its students during years 1 and 2. The required EMT certification is also a huge plus. Overall, loved the people here and the vibes I got from everyone.

For those of you deciding between UNR and UNLV, I had an experience that helped me make a decision. When I attended my interview at UNR... there was a lot of passive aggressive lashes at UNLV. When I was at UNLV, they only said good things about UNR. Just on professionalism alone, UNLV was a clear choice for me by the end of my UNLV interview.

Concluding second look day, they handed us a UNLV mug as a gift. Although I will not be attending, I will keep the mug and represent it at my med school (going to get a lot of heat from the other students). I strongly support UNLV and this school of medicine. Just typing this reply is making me regret my decision a bit. I wish the best for this school and its students. You guys are in great hands out here, good luck class of 2022!

Reactions: 3 users

Also, I was at 2nd look and I'll say this-- UNLV is an AMAZING school. Whoever goes here will be in great hands with Dr. Parrish and the rest of the faculty. Of all the schools I visited and interviewed, I haven't met a faculty that is as motivated and invested in working with it students. For example, the school know how important it is for their students to conduct research which is why they make sure every student has a research position and also encourage its students to try for research positions outside of Nevada. They also realize that traditional medical school curriculum lack exposure to patients so they included primary care clerkship as a service learning for the community and its students during years 1 and 2. The required EMT certification is also a huge plus. Overall, loved the people here and the vibes I got from everyone.

For those of you deciding between UNR and UNLV, I had an experience that helped me make a decision. When I attended my interview at UNR... there was a lot of passive aggressive lashes at UNLV. When I was at UNLV, they only said good things about UNR. Just on professionalism alone, UNLV was a clear choice for me by the end of my UNLV interview.

Concluding second look day, they handed us a UNLV mug as a gift. Although I will not be attending, I will keep the mug and represent it at my med school (going to get a lot of heat from the other students). I strongly support UNLV and this school of medicine. Just typing this reply is making me regret my decision a bit. I wish the best for this school and its students. You guys are in great hands out here, good luck class of 2022!
Yes. I noticed this too, I 100% agree.

Ah rats, no mug for me since I missed the second day! I like mugs.

UNLV has not let people know what decisions were made even though they told people decisions would go out around March 2nd. Now that is "poor form". The people applying to UNLV next year have the right to know what the process of admission could be like. If Parrish reads these forums, well he needs to know that he did not do a very good job. Its pretty simple, you tell ppl that decisions should go out by the 2nd of March, ppl should not be left hanging at the end of April.

It’s unfair to expect it to be perfect the first few times around.

It is not unfair to expect that an unlv admissions should make decisions in the timeframe that it set forth on its website. You really like turning this around but I know there will be applicants who will be wondering what the unlv process will be like next year. For as many people who want to praise unlv bc they got in, there should someone out there who bluntly points out their pitfalls. Someone next year can set their own expectations of unlv.

It is not unfair to expect that an unlv admissions should make decisions in the timeframe that it set forth on its website. You really like turning this around but I know there will be applicants who will be wondering what the unlv process will be like next year. For as many people who want to praise unlv bc they got in, there should someone out there who bluntly points out their pitfalls. Someone next year can set their own expectations of unlv.

I don’t believe UNLV is without fault- both before and after my acceptance I have been in a position where the process did not follow the projected schedule. While that is frustrating and I voiced my frustrations to family and friends, every email, phone call, and conversation I have had with UNLV staff has received prompt attention. I just don’t believe that waiting for a decision is reason enough to not apply somewhere. There are much more important factors to consider when choosing where to apply. I’ve never said they did the admissions process perfectly, just that they deserve a little more slack than what you’re giving them.

Do any current students have any insight into the possibility of away rotations at UNLV? I know the faculty is extremely encouraging in all other aspects so I would assume they are very supportive of this as well

Do any current students have any insight into the possibility of away rotations at UNLV? I know the faculty is extremely encouraging in all other aspects so I would assume they are very supportive of this as well
At second look Dr. Parrish said they'd be open to any rotation that's approved by a US accredited medical school, foreign rotations included. I think they're willing to support any ideas we have as long as they're reasonable!