2017-2018 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status unchanged. Does anyone understand why they make us wait until as late as March for a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Status unchanged. Does anyone understand why they make us wait until as late as March for a decision?

+1 on status unchanged but they've said before that they don't accept the bulk of the applicants at the very beginning of the cycle because they could always find out that they loved all of their February interviews. Or so they say. Basically, they're being cautious.

To the long wait until March! Dilly Dilly!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed here last week. I didn't receive an email or a call. Should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here last week. I didn't receive an email or a call. Should I be worried?
No. They send out emails to everyone. I bet you just haven’t received it yet. Don’t fret! :)

Reactions: 1 user

its also because they don't know if they can have a full class of 128 again. They're waiting on state funds which the state won't pass until Jan. If we're lucky we might see more acceptances then

Any pre-II rejections?

I'm an in state guy, went here for undergrad, and this is my second year applying so I know quite a few people who have applied here and I've never heard of anybody getting rejected here until their cycle was over in March. That said, most everybody I know is in-state so I can't speak for OOS people.

Interviewed November 13th, Status unchanged on December 1st
IS, LM 74

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS and interviewing here on Tuesday. Can anyone who has been through it already offer some advice?

OOS and interviewing here on Tuesday. Can anyone who has been through it already offer some advice?

I interviewed yesterday and am also OOS. I thought it was a fairly low-stress interview, you basically have two back-to-back interviews with a faculty member that are each an hour long so just be prepared to talk a lot. I was asked pretty standard questions (why doctor? why Mizzou since you're OOS? etc etc.)

JUST RECEIVED A PHONE CALL. ACCEPTED :clap::clap:THANK YOU MIZZOU FOR THE :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed here yesterday! I loved the school so much and I cannot wait to hear back from them.

Interviewed here yesterday! I loved the school so much and I cannot wait to hear back from them.

On the bright side you probably won’t have to wait long. I think they’re gonna release more decisions at the end of this month

On the bright side you probably won’t have to wait long. I think they’re gonna release more decisions at the end of this month

Can't wait for my "status unchanged" Christmas present from Mizzou this year <3

Reactions: 7 users
Has the committee specified which Friday they will release December decisions? In prior years it has been before Christmas I think.

Can't wait for my "status unchanged" Christmas present from Mizzou this year <3
At this point I’m really praying it’s not a rejection. Nothing worse than being rejected from your state school. God I just want to be accepted

Anyone felt they did horrible in one of their hour long interviews and still got an acceptance? I just feel like my second interview could have gone a lot smoother. I love this school, and I just hope I did better than I thought I did. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Anyone felt they did horrible in one of their hour long interviews and still got an acceptance? I just feel like my second interview could have gone a lot smoother. I love this school, and I just hope I did better than I thought I did. Fingers crossed.
Right there with you, Friend.

There are certainly varying levels of "doing horrible" but I will say that I know of several friends who felt the same who are currently M1's here. Also, one of the students who gave my interview group a tour said this as well. He had all but given up on hearing good news from here because he felt he did so poorly on his interview day.
You may have noticed that the two interviews had different styles. All the hard questions, at least for me, came from a single interviewer who seemed to be a little stern deliberately. I think this is the "designated hard interviewer" who a lot of people feel like they didn't handle as well as they could have.
So I guess my point is that you're not alone.

Reactions: 4 users
To those who interviewed: what did you most like about Mizzou? I believe the interview is open format, correct? According to the previous post, there is a "designated hard interviewer". What kind of questions should one expect? I am hearing that most of the interviews were very conversational.

To those who interviewed: what did you most like about Mizzou? I believe the interview is open format, correct? According to the previous post, there is a "designated hard interviewer". What kind of questions should one expect? I am hearing that most of the interviews were very conversational.
I don't think there's a "hard interviewer" at every interview. From my interview, there were 3 of us in the morning group and there were 3 adcom members who were doing interviews. You'll get a schedule telling you which 2 you're gonna interview with. I personally didn't think I had a hard interviewer. Both of mine were women. I talked about the Cold War/ Russia for the last 20 min of my 1st interview but it was super casual overall. The second one was more focused on ways to help the underserved but that's probably more due to the nature of my app and the fact that my interviewer was a family doc. My 2nd interviewer even gave me some great tips and reccomendations for activites/places to eat in columbia. I think it's just luck in all honesty. You'll get 2 out of like 20 people to plead your case for acceptance to the other committee members. Maybe there's 1/2 adcoms who do that

Reactions: 1 users
Both of my interviewers were very fair with their questions so I don't think I necessarily had a "hard interviewer". As for what I like most about Mizzou, it's hard to choose just one thing. I loved the campus, the curriculum is amazing, the building is brand new and attached to the university hospital. Honestly i could go on and on. Before I went for my interview, Mizzou was somewhere in the middle of my list, but after being there it became my first choice. Really hoping for some good news soon!

Congrats @DaDreamChazer !
Interviewing Jan 8, any tips? To confirm, the interviews are one-on-one for one hour? Do you go on a tour of the whole hospital or just just the med school part?

So.... I got a status unchanged notice today lol I interviewed here literally 2 days ago and they've ranked me that quickly?

Just received the status unchanged email :/. I know that was the most likely outcome but I still was hoping for an acceptance this month lol.

Also received the status unchanged email, interviewed 12/5. Let the waiting game begin.

Does Mizzou know yet if they can keep their class size at 128?

I wish they'd tell us our rank

I guess they don't because they can't. If new interviewees have a higher score than you and/or I then our ranking would change. It'd feel pretty sh*tty to see it go down from one month to the next.

In March they'll be able to clear up some confusion because they'll tell you where you generally are on the WL.

Pretty sure they won't know until February

Status unchanged again. At this rate I feel like I have a better chance of being rejected or waitlisted before I get an acceptance

I Interviewed back in November and they said they are not sure of the class size (Could be 96-128). However, on the official acceptance letter, there is a form that you need to sign regarding the clinical assignment during MS3 and MS4. On the form it mentions the class size to be 128. Thanks!

Do you feel as though the campus mock interviews are a good example for the actual interview?

Do you feel as though the campus mock interviews are a good example for the actual interview?

I don't remember my campus mock interviews, but it depends on which ones you're talking about. My Career Center ones weren't really reflective of med school interviews at all, but my mock interviews at Med Prep I/II were probably better at preparing me for the real deal

Has anyone that has interviewed recently gotten any kind of update in what the class size will be?