2020-2021 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi do any current students know if IS1 is a mandatory block or still part of summer holidays? Also, what is reading week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think the waitlist is still moving? I'm in the middle third and I am trying to gauge my chances for this cycle...

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think the waitlist is still moving? I'm in the middle third and I am trying to gauge my chances for this cycle...
I heard about a week ago now, and before that I had the same worry. It's so hard to tell if it is moving at all. I know some people try to gauge the movement based off of how many people are added to the facebook group. I am not accepted to the FB yet, but if I get there I will let you know! Good luck :)

I heard about a week ago now, and before that I had the same worry. It's so hard to tell if it is moving at all. I know some people try to gauge the movement based off of how many people are added to the facebook group. I am not accepted to the FB yet, but if I get there I will let you know! Good luck :)
Thanks, friend! :)

Hi do any current students know if IS1 is a mandatory block or still part of summer holidays? Also, what is reading week?

Hi there! I'm an upcoming M2 here at Mizzou. I don't believe IS1 is a mandatory block (at least I hope not because I'm in my M1 summer and don't want to do anything besides chill and research, haha) but instead serves as a transition point in the curriculum within the summer term. I don't think there is any major significance to this block, and you wouldn't be required as a regular student to utilize that IS1 block for any purpose. As an M1, your summer holiday will run from the end of exams on May 13th to whenever you start M2 (probably near the very beginning of August).

Regarding reading weeks, they're not at all what they sound like. What's funny is that reading weeks aren't used for reading by 99.9% of students. They're the week after each block's exam week, and most students utilize that week to travel, see family or SOs, or just straight vibe and relax after a long block. I use that time to swing by and say hi to my family and pups and then travel to see my girlfriend before heading back for the next block. I think reading weeks were initially meant to be a week to prepare for the following block; however, you'll never see a student pre-studying for the next block during reading weeks. Utilize that time to de-stress after exams!

Hi there! I'm an upcoming M2 here at Mizzou. I don't believe IS1 is a mandatory block (at least I hope not because I'm in my M1 summer and don't want to do anything besides chill and research, haha) but instead serves as a transition point in the curriculum within the summer term. I don't think there is any major significance to this block, and you wouldn't be required as a regular student to utilize that IS1 block for any purpose. As an M1, your summer holiday will run from the end of exams on May 13th to whenever you start M2 (probably near the very beginning of August).

Regarding reading weeks, they're not at all what they sound like. What's funny is that reading weeks aren't used for reading by 99.9% of students. They're the week after each block's exam week, and most students utilize that week to travel, see family or SOs, or just straight vibe and relax after a long block. I use that time to swing by and say hi to my family and pups and then travel to see my girlfriend before heading back for the next block. I think reading weeks were initially meant to be a week to prepare for the following block; however, you'll never see a student pre-studying for the next block during reading weeks. Utilize that time to de-stress after exams!

Wow! Is nothing scheduled during reading week then? No PBL or course work?

Wow! Is nothing scheduled during reading week then? No PBL or course work?
Current M2 here as well!

Just like @Smolpuppo21 said reading week is reset week! Its time to just enjoy yourself and do something fun after 2 months of non-stop studying!

• Love
Just got the call! I ugly criedddddd
Stats: 2/3 of waitlist, IS, 500 MCAT, 3.96 Science GPA, 3.87 cumulative GPA

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your answers @Smolpuppo21 @DesiPreMed !! Do you know if exams last until saturday? So the off week would be from sunday night until the following sunday?
So, exam weeks for M1 essentially look like this barring IPC or SP final changes per block:

Monday: Clinical Reasoning Exam - 8am-2pm

Tuesday: Usually off day/can be when you do your standardized patient final exam (OSCE)

Wednesday: Introduction to Patient Care (IPC) Knowledge Based Exam - 8am-12:30pm/can also be when your SP final is during the afternoon

Thursday: Study Day for the KBE/can also be when your SP final is

Friday: Histology practical - 8am-9am
Anatomy lab practical - sometime between 9:30am and 2:00pm (you just go
Knowledge-Based Exam: 9am-4:45pm

That’s basically it! You don’t have exams on Saturdays. So, your break immediately starts when you submit your KBE on Friday afternoon/evening. Good luck!!

So, exam weeks for M1 essentially look like this barring IPC or SP final changes per block:

Monday: Clinical Reasoning Exam - 8am-2pm

Tuesday: Usually off day/can be when you do your standardized patient final exam (OSCE)

Wednesday: Introduction to Patient Care (IPC) Knowledge Based Exam - 8am-12:30pm/can also be when your SP final is during the afternoon

Thursday: Study Day for the KBE/can also be when your SP final is

Friday: Histology practical - 8am-9am
Anatomy lab practical - sometime between 9:30am and 2:00pm (you just go
Knowledge-Based Exam: 9am-4:45pm

That’s basically it! You don’t have exams on Saturdays. So, your break immediately starts when you submit your KBE on Friday afternoon/evening. Good luck!!
@zeddd78893 This being said exam schedules for IPC may vary depending on if you have an SP or not (depends on the block). Grades are usually released at noon the Friday following Reading week and then you kinda go from there in terms of continuing to studying for the current block or remediation.

Just got the call around noon today. Stats: 504, 3.65, dual degrees (BA and BS), reapplicant, Mizzou alumnus, middle third of IS waitlist.

Nope! Nothing is scheduled during reading week. That’s your time to use as you wish! :)
@zeddd78893 This being said exam schedules for IPC may vary depending on if you have an SP or not (depends on the block). Grades are usually released at noon the Friday following Reading week and then you kinda go from there in terms of continuing to studying for the current block or remediation.
How does remediation work? If you did fine in the various blocks is this an extra week to yourself for studying/taking off? Thanks!

Also, what’s an SP? 😂

How does remediation work? If you did fine in the various blocks is this an extra week to yourself for studying/taking off? Thanks!

Also, what’s an SP? 😂
Remediation happens during breaks! So if you fail Block 1 (failing block 1 means you fail either the CRE, IPC or KBE exams) you take the remediation exam the first week of Christmas break. If you fail block 2, you remediate during spring break and if you fail block 3 or 4 you remediate sometime in the summer. If you pass all the tests you pass the block and you get to relax.

A SP is a standardized patient! Its an actor that you practice patient care skills with.