2020-2021 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For WL individuals, does it say your position? I feel that may require a call or email.

Members don't see this ad.

Wayfair also thought now was a good time to give me an ad for "decor you'll LOVE" but what they didn't know is they also gave me a dangerous blood pressure level and heart rate
Get this... checked my spam and my top email's subject line..............

"Nice Try"

That's pure HATE

Members don't see this ad :)
Here to, unfortunately, report what seems to be the first R...

Man, it really does suck... Back to the drawing board. Good luck to all!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
R. I thought I did fairly well on the interview but oh well.

Ill be committing to osteopathic med school that I had acceptance to! Good luck to every single one of yall and hope to see you guys in the coming future with our degrees!

Much love.

Peace.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I got the R as well. I have 1 acceptance this cycle though, so looks like I'm staying put here in San Antonio!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I got the R as well. I have 1 acceptance this cycle though, so looks like I'm staying put here in San Antonio!
Man I am really sorry to here, cause I believe you were really hoping to go back home. I am very happy you got an acceptance elsewhere! <3

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
WL, I wish they just made it easier on us and let us know our chances and ended our misery faster.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I have gotten the R two years in a row now this sucks. Going to apply again unless I get accepted elsewhere :(

• Care
I have gotten the R two years in a row now this sucks. Going to apply again unless I get accepted elsewhere :(
There is a 4th year here who had to apply to med school 4 or 5 times and she's a rock star.

It's discouraging, I know. If you have to reapply try to get as many people as you can to look at your application. Really look for those weak points and do what you can to fix them.

Good luck!

There is a 4th year here who had to apply to med school 4 or 5 times and she's a rock star.

It's discouraging, I know. If you have to reapply try to get as many people as you can to look at your application. Really look for those weak points and do what you can to fix them.

Good luck!
Was one with an R. Does anyone know what a re-app with an improved MCAT and some more volunteering (hopefully clinical if possible) could do for me? I say that because I'd like to apply next year as I think that I am not too far from being really considered. However, there is only so much time to improve for the next cycle. I understand I should have been doing something this cycle expecting a re-app but I would say I need more clinical exposure, which is hard to do right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted by my alma mater for the second year in a row (around 10am this morning). /sigh

For those wondering about the *in-state* waitlist situation last year, they got about halfway through the waitlist (all the way through the first 1/3 by May and about halfway through the middle 1/3 by July, with little-to-no movement after that). I was in the middle third, but didn’t end up getting in.

Now that I think about it that’s actually crazy because I think their waitlist comprises another 128 students so that would mean literally half of the people got off the waitlist. Correct me if I’m wrong tho since I’m not exactly sure about how many people are on the waitlist.
Nah I was about to comment the same. That it seemed around half of the WL got As. Good luck to my friends on the WL. Were waiting for you <3

Was one with an R. Does anyone know what a re-app with an improved MCAT and some more volunteering (hopefully clinical if possible) could do for me? I say that because I'd like to apply next year as I think that I am not too far from being really considered. However, there is only so much time to improve for the next cycle. I understand I should have been doing something this cycle expecting a re-app but I would say I need more clinical exposure, which is hard to do right now...
*raises hand* MU rejected me first time I applied, accepted 2nd time, so it's definitely possible.

Take a good hard look at your application. Have professors, pre-med advisors, physicians you know look at your app. Be really critical and try to find your weaknesses, cause that's what the admissions committee will do. My feeling is that MU values this self-reflection and self-improvement, as it is a pretty substantial part of how PBL is based (your ability to self-study and focus your efforts on what is going to work best for you).

Good luck

*raises hand* MU rejected me first time I applied, accepted 2nd time, so it's definitely possible.

Take a good hard look at your application. Have professors, pre-med advisors, physicians you know look at your app. Be really critical and try to find your weaknesses, cause that's what the admissions committee will do. My feeling is that MU values this self-reflection and self-improvement, as it is a pretty substantial part of how PBL is based (your ability to self-study and focus your efforts on what is going to work best for you).

Good luck
Do you mind sharing what you think got you over the hump? Was it stats or was it an experience that you missed out on before but learned from later on?

For anyone who was WL, I noticed the email said you can email them after Friday, March 5th. Are you waiting until Saturday to email or going for it tomorrow?

For anyone who was WL, I noticed the email said you can email them after Friday, March 5th. Are you waiting until Saturday to email or going for it tomorrow?
WL for me too :/ I think I would wait til Saturday at least because the email said “you may respond to this email after Friday, March 5”

Last edited:
WL for me too :/ I think I would wait til Saturday at least because the email said “you may respond to this email after Friday, March 5”
Yeah it sounds like we should wait until Saturday, but I know all I'm gonna be doing this weekend is wondering what part of the WL I'm on and if I actually have a chance to get in 🙃

• Haha
Do you mind sharing what you think got you over the hump? Was it stats or was it an experience that you missed out on before but learned from later on?
For me it was experience. I had a lot of shadowing but no time in a hospital. They wanted to see how I worked in that environment.

For me it was experience. I had a lot of shadowing but no time in a hospital. They wanted to see how I worked in that environment.
Mhmm I think that's what I need. But.. covid.. erggghh

WL for me, I emailed today and asked for my spot and they replied within the hour!

Does anyone have any sort of clue approximately how many applicants they keep on the waitlist?

WL for me, I emailed today and asked for my spot and they replied within the hour!

Does anyone have any sort of clue approximately how many applicants they keep on the waitlist?
128, they made it through half of that last year, so if you're in the top third your odds are pretty good, middle third is 50/50, bottom third is less likely.

128, they made it through half of that last year, so if you're in the top third your odds are pretty good, middle third is 50/50, bottom third is less likely.
Thank you!! I'm in the middle third so I'm going to pray to the med school gods lol

Can any current mizzou med students talk about them being on the top 1/3 of the alternate list and when they got off it. Also rooming situations kinda scares me knowing so late. Thanks!!!

Can any current mizzou med students talk about them being on the top 1/3 of the alternate list and when they got off it. Also rooming situations kinda scares me knowing so late. Thanks!!!
I was actually just looking through previous year's threads after they emailed back this morning. For IS people on the waitlist, it looked like they made it through the first third by about April 30th, after that people from the second third started to report having heard back. For OOS, it looks like it takes a little longer to get through the first third

Congrats to everybody who was accepted!
Does mizzou offer interview feedback if you're waitlisted/ don't get accepted off the waitlist?
Well, they specifically say no and suggests “introspection “! I personally think it was a poorly written rejection email. Happened to a candidate with well above median qualifications for them and who felt that the interview went well , so it’s hard to figure out what to go improve. I wish all schools would give some feedback.

Well, they specifically say no and suggests “introspection “! I personally think it was a poorly written rejection email. Happened to a candidate with well above median qualifications for them and who felt that the interview went well , so it’s hard to figure out what to go improve. I wish all schools would give some feedback.
Technically they do give feedback but it’s not free. I think it’s like medprep or something like that.

I'm not sure yet. Are second look days generally helpful?
It is primarily designed for us to convince you to choose us if you are sitting on multiple acceptances. But you are welcome to come even if you 100% know you are going to attend.

I attended as an incoming M1 and have helped with it in previous years. I think it's a fun little event. I mean you get free food, get to practice some clinical skills (intubation, IV placement), practice PBL, more free food.

Fun event if you can manage it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It is primarily designed for us to convince you to choose us if you are sitting on multiple acceptances. But you are welcome to come even if you 100% know you are going to attend.

I attended as an incoming M1 and have helped with it in previous years. I think it's a fun little event. I mean you get free food, get to practice some clinical skills (intubation, IV placement), practice PBL, more free food.

Fun event if you can manage it.
Do you know if their are two different wait list for instate and one for out-of-state?

Do you know if their are two different wait list for instate and one for out-of-state?
I believe there are 2 separate lists, or at least there was when I applied. Movement on the lists are independent of each other, so when an OOS person declines, they go to only the OOS waitlist, etc.

Accepted off the waitlist this morning! IS top third! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist - hang in there!!

Reactions: 9 users
For those of you 100% planning on attending MizzouMed, what was the biggest deciding factor for you? What are the pros that made you want to commit?

Planning on it. Decided 100% to attend already but mock PBL sounded interesting.

We didn't have a second look day for our M1 class as COVID locked down the country around the time we were scheduled to do it. So, we got to do a mock PBL case during our orientation week, and it was so FUN! You start to really feel like you're in medical school, and you're on your way to being a doctor. Enjoy the experience!!

For those of you 100% planning on attending MizzouMed, what was the biggest deciding factor for you? What are the pros that made you want to commit?
PBL. The strength of their present diversity and inclusion program (been super impressed with how much they've reached out), cost (though I recently found out I'm receiving a full ride, I still felt this way before that). I've had really positive interactions with all staff I've met. My interviewers were exceptional and super engaging. Cost of living is remarkably low as well (which ultimately also means reduced loans). The facilities in the New building are beautiful. Also had some great conversations with a few students at the diversity & inclusion night; they were super real about concerns and were thoughtful, not hard sellers that gloss over issues. Besides that, it's pretty nice that I won't be too far from family and friends.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
We didn't have a second look day for our M1 class as COVID locked down the country around the time we were scheduled to do it. So, we got to do a mock PBL case during our orientation week, and it was so FUN! You start to really feel like you're in medical school, and you're on your way to being a doctor. Enjoy the experience!!
Can't wait! Going a bit stir crazy in this super dull transition time (only have 1 class). I know everyone's like "enjoy it," but I think having so much downtime during a pandemic is really what's doing it, not necessarily that just that I'm eager to learn 😅

Can't wait! Going a bit stir crazy in this super dull transition time (only have 1 class). I know everyone's like "enjoy it," but I think having so much downtime during a pandemic is really what's doing it, not necessarily that just that I'm eager to learn 😅

Haha, I feel that. I was definitely in your shoes, even though I was finishing up my undergraduate education just mere months before orientation! I didn't get what people meant by "enjoy it" because I was so excited to jump in. Although the material in medical school is so cool and fun to learn, it really is a lot. Medical school is a different beast, and no matter how many people tell you that, you won't truly realize it until you experience it yourself. You'll honestly still have plenty of free time with the way Mizzou sets up their preclinical schedule, but it's still a chonky amount of material regardless! Weeks 6, 7, and 8 are going to be grinds, and you'll definitely miss that "dull" feeling you've got right now. I hope to see you around in August! It's crazy to think I'm 7 weeks away from becoming an M2. Time flies when you're having fun!!

Public Match list for the class of 2021
Copy of Public List (002)-1.jpg
Copy of Public List (002)-2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users