2017-2018 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my secondary about 30 minutes ago

+1

Here are the prompts @gyngyn

A. Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 char)

B. Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.)
1.) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2.) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
(2000 char)

C. Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri – Columbia School of Medicine?
Yes No
In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s). (3000 characters)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to make sure I am not missing anything: Is everyone mailing in their fee? I submitted but got to that page and just wanted to make sure there is no other option to pay online.

Just to make sure I am not missing anything: Is everyone mailing in their fee? I submitted but got to that page and just wanted to make sure there is no other option to pay online.

Yes, the only way to pay the fee is via mail. Sent mine out on Monday and just got my complete email from the office today.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in state and my app was transmitted the first day possible and I still haven't gotten a secondary. Does anyone know if this is normal?

This might be. I'm in state too and I haven't gotten one either. From what people on here say, all in states get one so we shouldn't have to worry. It is concerning though that we haven't gotten one and it's almost August.

Yeah, especially because of rolling admission, and I'm sure the interviews fill up quickly

Yeah, especially because of rolling admission, and I'm sure the interviews fill up quickly

On the bright side, I haven't heard of any in state people saying they got one, so maybe they are trying to go through all the OOS people first. Just a thought

I'm from California, but my mother was born in Missouri and my maternal grandparents lived a majority of their lives in the state. Is that enough of a connection? :confused:

Lol what up with this OOS form to explain why you should be given a secondary? Not sure I'm digging it. I guess it is a chance to save on secondary money.

I got one (in-state) on July 11.

Yay! There's one! Just an FYI for everyone else waiting: I called them to find out about why it's taking so long, and they said that they are busy with orientation week for incoming med students. Also, there is apparently only 1 person who's looking through all the apps, so no wonder it's taking a while. Relax, we'll all get one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS that are filling out the presecondary form having troubles with formatting? It's a PDF editable form and keeps formatting differently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any OOS that are filling out the presecondary form having troubles with formatting? It's a PDF editable form and keeps formatting differently.

Are you talking about formatting for your answers? If so, I had no trouble. I filled out one of the boxes with gibberish to figure out what character/word limit existed, then just pasted in an unformatted answer based on that. Everything was basically in paragraph form, which seemed to go over well because I'm complete now.

Are you talking about formatting for your answers? If so, I had no trouble. I filled out one of the boxes with gibberish to figure out what character/word limit existed, then just pasted in an unformatted answer based on that. Everything was basically in paragraph form, which seemed to go over well because I'm complete now.

Nah it was doing formatting errors on the Mac. Worked fine on a windows. Sent last week, hopefully we get a secondary soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received my OOS form 7/7, received a secondary 7/19, sent in the next day. Now to wait...

Approved to apply as an OOS applicant two days ago. I'm a URM and not 100% sure if I'm going to be submitting my secondary here.

For those of you who submitted your payment, you just sent in a check via mail?

Yes, with the top part of that print out form. They will email conf. when your application is complete.

Theirs is overly white, something like 82%. Most schools have a decent number of Asians that help bring that number down, but I guess MU doesn't. It's most likely a symptom of Missouri itself being an overly Caucasian state.

Here's an article about it, it doesn't explain the whole situation but does give you an idea of the problem: Mizzou's Med School Could Lose Accreditation Over Lack Of Diversity
I did my undergraduate here and I would say that the student body is more than 82% white. One year the medical school class had one minority and another year only 2.

I recently received an email for them asking me to apply and I replied "for what". Mizzou has consistently demonstrated that it is not working to fix its own problem. Once you compound that with the fact we made national headlines with our protests in the fall of 2015, it's not pretty.

This is unnerving. . .

Theirs is overly white, something like 82%. Most schools have a decent number of Asians that help bring that number down, but I guess MU doesn't. It's most likely a symptom of Missouri itself being an overly Caucasian state.

Here's an article about it, it doesn't explain the whole situation but does give you an idea of the problem: Mizzou's Med School Could Lose Accreditation Over Lack Of Diversity

Thanks for the info. I am somewhat familiar with Missouri, but don't know much about Mizzou so this was definitely informative. I'm still applying because I'm from the Midwest, but it's definitely something to think about.

Class of 2021 is very diverse (not just in terms of ethnicity, but also age, background) & a big focus has been placed on inclusivity. Slap on the wrist from LCME (nothing like SLU's formal probation) was more focused on other issues that are also being addressed. It is a time of growth and renewal at MU. There is also a brand spankin' new state-of-the-art medical school building. But some things never change, like killer Step scores.

Reactions: 4 users
I did my PhD at the SOM and really enjoyed the faculty and my fellow students. Hope to be back there for my MD.

As @doctorskywalker (OMG great name, I wish I knew who you were!) said, MU is at a point of growth and renewal. Us M1s just got back from our trip down to the Springfield clinical campus, and I think we were all very impressed by it. It's just 1 example of the growth and change MU is embracing to try to move forward.

Are there problems? Yes, every school is going to have problems. For reference, our "reprimand" from LCME is a notice to fix things. I.e. "hey get your stuff together or they'll be consequences". Just Google "medical schools on probation" and you can see some of the "prestigious" schools that have been dinged.

Are there diversity/racial problems at MU? Yes, but that's true all across the country. At least at MU, our dirty laundry has been aired for all to see and there is work being done to fix it.

I'd encourage any interested to apply to MU. I got accepted to an objectively higher-ranked (and cheaper) school, but one reason I stayed here was because I knew from being part of MU previously that they were sincere about the changes they were trying to make and the good they want to do for Missouri.

Reactions: 1 users
Could anyone provide the prompt's to this year's secondary? Thank you in advance.

Guess would be about mid of September. Last year I interviewed beginning of October and I think they called me last week of September.

I just got verified yesterday but I'm hoping to receive a secondary here. I'm OOS but a URM so maybe????

II about 2 hours ago via phone call. IS applicant, complete mid July, Lizzy M 72. Sounds like interviews are starting the first week of October.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it just me or is Mizzou making OOS applicant jump through crazy hoops? Just got an email saying I haven't completed writing intensive classes, I have to send my courses descriptions to the school or the professors must contact them.
I had to get verification that the SMP I'm in will be complet before matriculation. They were quick to let me know I was complete though. Just get it done

II about 2 hours ago via phone call. IS applicant, complete mid July, Lizzy M 72. Sounds like interviews are starting the first week of October.

Was the phone call from an actual number or did it say No Caller ID? I missed two phone calls this week, both of which said "No Caller ID" and I'm so terrified I missed a call!

Was the phone call from an actual number or did it say No Caller ID? I missed two phone calls this week, both of which said "No Caller ID" and I'm so terrified I missed a call!
What are your stats?? In state or out of state?

II just now (OOS, non-trad). Very excited about this.

II a couple of hours ago! In state. Complete 8/14!

Got approved as a OOS. AH CAN"T WAIT! I'm gonna have this secondary done the day I get it! :p

II! I'm a reapplicant/waitlist so hopefully I can redeem myself! Great School :)

For those of you who want something more to obsess about/plan around, here are the Fall interview dates. There will be more in spring.

Disclaimer: The process has changed a little since last year, this is based on my experience last year. It is highly unlikely they massively deviated from this (we are doing all 3 days of interviews/week instead of 4) but take this with a grain of salt.

Interviews/ranking works like this:
At the end of an interview week (Wednesday) everyone who interviewed is presented to the full board by one/both of your interviewers. After they make their case for you, the committee scores you and you are ranked on the list of applicants. This repeats each week until the end of the month. At the end of each month admissions will send out acceptances to the top 3-5 people on the list. The next month, the process continues, so new people are added onto the list and your relative rank is adjusted depending on whether people are ranked higher/lower than you.

This process continues until ~February. At that point, admissions looks at how many open seats are left (based on the variable # they accept each month) and sends out invites to that many people. So if there are 70 open seats in February, the top 70 people in the ranking are sent invites. The wait list is equal in size to the class size (128). If you are wait listed you can ask what "third" of the list you are in. Historically the 1st third "always" gets invites and usually the 2nd third gets them as well. If you're in the bottom third your odds are less.

Good luck all.

Mon, Oct 2
Tues, Oct 3
Wed, Oct 4
Mon, Oct 9
Tues, Oct 10
Wed, Oct 11
Mon, Oct 16
Tues, Oct 17
Wed, Oct 18
Mon, Oct 23
Tues, Oct 24
Wed, Oct 25
Mon, Oct 30
Tues, Oct 31

Wed, Nov 1
Mon, Nov 6
Tues, Nov 7
Wed, Nov 8
Mon, Nov 13
Tues, Nov 14
Wed, Nov 15
Mon, Nov 20
Tues, Nov 21
Mon, Nov 27
Tues, Nov 28
Wed, Nov 29

Mon, Dec 11
Tues, Dec 12
Wed, Dec 13
Mon, Dec 18
Tues, Dec 19
Wed, Dec 20

For those of you who want something more to obsess about/plan around, here are the Fall interview dates. There will be more in spring.

Disclaimer: The process has changed a little since last year, this is based on my experience last year. It is highly unlikely they massively deviated from this (we are doing all 3 days of interviews/week instead of 4) but take this with a grain of salt.

At the end of an interview week (Wednesday) everyone who interviewed is presented to the full board by one/both of your interviewers. After they make their case for you, the committee scores you and you are ranked on the list of applicants. This repeats each week until the end of the month. At the end of each month admissions will send out acceptances to the top 3-5 people on the list. The next month, the process continues, so new people are added onto the list and your relative rank is adjusted depending on whether people are ranked higher/lower than you.

This process continues until ~February. At that point, admissions looks at how many open seats are left (based on the variable # they accept each month) and sends out invites to that many people. So if there are 70 open seats in February, the top 70 people in the ranking are sent invites. The wait list is equal in size to the class size (128). If you are wait listed you can ask what "third" of the list you are in. Historically the 1st third "always" gets invites and usually the 2nd third gets them as well. If you're in the bottom third your odds are less.

Good luck all.

Mon, Oct 2
Tues, Oct 3
Wed, Oct 4
Mon, Oct 9
Tues, Oct 10
Wed, Oct 11
Mon, Oct 16
Tues, Oct 17
Wed, Oct 18
Mon, Oct 23
Tues, Oct 24
Wed, Oct 25
Mon, Oct 30
Tues, Oct 31

Wed, Nov 1
Mon, Nov 6
Tues, Nov 7
Wed, Nov 8
Mon, Nov 13
Tues, Nov 14
Wed, Nov 15
Mon, Nov 20
Tues, Nov 21
Mon, Nov 27
Tues, Nov 28
Wed, Nov 29

Mon, Dec 11
Tues, Dec 12
Wed, Dec 13
Mon, Dec 18
Tues, Dec 19
Wed, Dec 20
Thanks for the info! Are they still giving out II's for IS applicants?

Good luck all.

Mon, Oct 2
Tues, Oct 3
Wed, Oct 4
Mon, Oct 9
Tues, Oct 10
Wed, Oct 11
Mon, Oct 16
Tues, Oct 17
Wed, Oct 18
Mon, Oct 23
Tues, Oct 24
Wed, Oct 25
Mon, Oct 30
Tues, Oct 31

Wed, Nov 1
Mon, Nov 6
Tues, Nov 7
Wed, Nov 8
Mon, Nov 13
Tues, Nov 14
Wed, Nov 15
Mon, Nov 20
Tues, Nov 21
Mon, Nov 27
Tues, Nov 28
Wed, Nov 29

Mon, Dec 11
Tues, Dec 12
Wed, Dec 13
Mon, Dec 18
Tues, Dec 19
Wed, Dec 20

Thank you! So now it is 3-5 wasn't it 5-15 last cycle? I take it nobody is going to get the immediate, day-of-interview phone calls this time. I know those were rare, but they did happen.

Thanks for the info! Are they still giving out II's for IS applicants?

I would assume so. Those dates were sent out to those of us who will be student ambassadors. I think they are still working on filling out the interview slots. Remember, there are still slots open in January.

Thank you! So now it is 3-5 wasn't it 5-15 last cycle? I take it nobody is going to get the immediate, day-of-interview phone calls this time. I know those were rare, but they did happen.

I remember them saying 3-5 last year when I interviewed. I think it's somewhat variable. I also recall them saying that they only send the invites out to those who's scores they think won't be topped, since otherwise they'll be holding down everyone else. The majority of folks get in at the end of the cycle, so it's not all lost if you don't get accepted at the end of the month.

I think the day-of-interview phone calls were only when they interviewed on the last day of that month's cycle and is up to the interviewer's discretion. I'm not a part of the admissions team, so this is all just speculation/past evidence.