2020-2021 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, I feel that. I was definitely in your shoes, even though I was finishing up my undergraduate education just mere months before orientation! I didn't get what people meant by "enjoy it" because I was so excited to jump in. Although the material in medical school is so cool and fun to learn, it really is a lot. Medical school is a different beast, and no matter how many people tell you that, you won't truly realize it until you experience it yourself. You'll honestly still have plenty of free time with the way Mizzou sets up their preclinical schedule, but it's still a chonky amount of material regardless! Weeks 6, 7, and 8 are going to be grinds, and you'll definitely miss that "dull" feeling you've got right now. I hope to see you around in August! It's crazy to think I'm 7 weeks away from becoming an M2. Time flies when you're having fun!!
I don't suppose you're willing to share notes..? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is most of the movement for the waitlist in April for Mizzou?

Is most of the movement for the waitlist in April for Mizzou?
I'm assuming there will be very little until April 15th (when students have to narrow to top 3 choices), with a majority of it happening after April 30th (when students have to pick their final med school)!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I was looking at my comment and it said purgatory and was super confused and tried to edit it but it goes back to “wait list”. Then I remembered today is April fools 😂

Lol I was looking at my comment and it said purgatory and was super confused and tried to edit it but it goes back to “wait list”. Then I remembered today is Easter 😂
Wait what the heck now it says Easter instead of A. fools 😂

Can current speak on the financial aid timeline? Specifically, I got my financial aid offer (loans) this morning, but does that include scholarship consideration? The priority deadline was only 8 days ago, so I'm hoping scholarships are handled separately..

Can current speak on the financial aid timeline? Specifically, I got my financial aid offer (loans) this morning, but does that include scholarship consideration? The priority deadline was only 8 days ago, so I'm hoping scholarships are handled separately..
Were you emailed?

Usually, you get offered financial aid and scholarship offers at the same time (at least that's what happened for my class). If you didn't receive any scholarships in your award offer, that means you just received loans for the 2021-2022 academic year. It is, unfortunately, common for most students to only receive loans in their package as it is a state-funded program.

However, if funds magically arise, there are scholarships that you could receive before the start of M1! So, you might get notified of those too. Also, you can apply to scholarships outside MU Med and apply them to your financial aid! Feel free to DM me if you have any additional questions :)

Usually, you get offered financial aid and scholarship offers at the same time (at least that's what happened for my class). If you didn't receive any scholarships in your award offer, that means you just received loans for the 2021-2022 academic year. It is, unfortunately, common for most students to only receive loans in their package as it is a state-funded program.

However, if funds magically arise, there are scholarships that you could receive before the start of M1! So, you might get notified of those too. Also, you can apply to scholarships outside MU Med and apply them to your financial aid! Feel free to DM me if you have any additional questions :)

I did not get a financial aid offer yet. Do you know if everyone gets it at the same time? Should I be checking my MIZ portal or something

Rip, I also got no financial aid (apart from loans). Kind of surprised tbh :(

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rip, I also got no financial aid (apart from loans). Kind of surprised tbh :(
Sadly there is not a lot of financial aid to go around at MU. I got a $1000 scholarship for having a family. There is a full-ride given out every-other-year (I believe) for students at need. Maybe a few other small things.

Remember this when you're making big bucks and those Mizzou Alumni calls start coming :D

• Haha
Accepted Yesterday!!! Is there an accepted student GroupMe or FB-feed?

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted Yesterday!!! Is there an accepted student GroupMe or FB-feed?
I was accepted on Monday and I got a lot of information emailed to me and included in that was a link to join the Facebook page!

Congrats on the acceptances! Can anyone provide info on how far down the waitlist they have gotten?

I was accepted on Monday and I got a lot of information emailed to me and included in that was a link to join the Facebook page!
Congratulation!! Thanks for the reply, I also received the email later that day.

Just accepted!!! IS, first third, was given a big fat R last cycle!

Reactions: 5 users
Just accepted!!! IS, first third, was given a big fat R last cycle!
Awesome congratulations! I was waiting to hear from anyone about movement since it's been pretty quiet lately. Still curious if anyone has any exact numbers or if they even give those out.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, I was accepted today!!! I was in-state and top third of the waitlist. I was eating lunch, then my phone died, so I put it on the charger, then 2 minutes later it turned back on and showed a voicemail and email from MizzouMed :)))) It's kinda funny that they happened to call during that super short timeframe. Anyways I'm so happy, and best of luck to everyone who is waiting on that special call!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Good morning everyone, I just got the call this morning. I have been pretty annoyed the last few days being on the wait list, but I hope you can hold on a little longer. It seems like there's been a lot of movement this week and I expect it to accelerate!

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone else who gets accepted... hit me up if you'd like to participate in a cohort float trip before the semester starts. Been dying to go and would love to meet a few of you!

Can't wait for yall to join us. Hang in there, WLers. We're rooting for you!

Any middle-tier students? Still waiting.....trying to not lose hope

For anyone else who gets accepted... hit me up if you'd like to participate in a cohort float trip before the semester starts. Been dying to go and would love to meet a few of you!

In the CoMo area? I’m a sucker for a good float trip

Based off last year's SDN posts, they got into the middle third of the WL by May 1 or 2 I think (so after the Apr 30 AMCAS deadline). In my personal opinion, considering how much movement has happened in the last few days, I would say that might be a good estimate for this year too. Best of luck to everyone still waiting! We're rooting for you!

Based off last year's SDN posts, they got into the middle third of the WL by May 1 or 2 I think (so after the Apr 30 AMCAS deadline). In my personal opinion, considering how much movement has happened in the last few days, I would say that might be a good estimate for this year too. Best of luck to everyone still waiting! We're rooting for you!
Yeah I think even from just SDN about 9 people got off the waitlist so at most there are 33 people are on the waitlist for the first tier which is probably an overestimate since more people probably got off.

In the CoMo area? I’m a sucker for a good float trip
That's what I was thinking! At least within an hour or 2. Could carpool if needed. Anyone interested hmu. Also started a snapchat group but it's only 3 deep. Would be down for a groupme too.

That's what I was thinking! At least within an hour or 2. Could carpool if needed. Anyone interested hmu. Also started a snapchat group but it's only 3 deep. Would be down for a groupme too.
Accepted a couple weeks ago and totally committed! Also very down for a float trip

Accepted a couple weeks ago and totally committed! Also very down for a float trip
Hmu, eagerly trying to organize anyone interested. Especially since this page has been significantly more active than the FB atm. I'll float myself if I have to, but hoping to meet some of yall 😂

Congratulations to all of the newly accepted students! If you have any questions, feel free to DM me or I can provide my email so you can email me. You're all going to be so great :) Can't wait to meet y'all in August!

Does anybody know if the out of state waitlists moves a lot? Just trying to manage expectations!

I was accepted yesterday morning! IS, top 3rd.

Historically the M2s coordinate a float trip during the first few weeks of class, just in case you need more float trip in your life.

Just got the call!! IS 2nd third!