2020-2021 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Missouri - Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting M1 here in the fall! Lemme know if you have any app questions :)

Also a starting M1 this fall! I did undergrad and grad school here so I can help with any questions regarding the campus, location, things to do, and the medical school! Feel free to reach out!

Members don't see this ad :)
@DesiPreMed Do you think having previously attended the university gave you a significant advantage in the application process? Did it come up much your interview?

Starting M1 here in the fall! Lemme know if you have any app questions :)
I just started working on my AMCAS application. I was wondering what sorts of things you put in you work and activities section? Also, do you feel that Mizzou places more importance on some activities vs others? Mizzou is one of my top choices so I'd love feedback!

@DesiPreMed Do you think having previously attended the university gave you a significant advantage in the application process? Did it come up much your interview?

I do think me doing my undergrad and masters did have some impact on my application but I also had a diverse range of activities and experiences that I believe helped me even more. Mizzou does tend to favour some of its alumni but it is a state school so around 85% of its matriculants are from the state of Missouri.

I just started working on my AMCAS application. I was wondering what sorts of things you put in you work and activities section? Also, do you feel that Mizzou places more importance on some activities vs others? Mizzou is one of my top choices so I'd love feedback!

So I can't say for certain if Mizzou places a greater emphasis on activities in comparison to other schools. I think what is really important is to figure out the importance of these certain activities and how they relate to your life. I did a lot of stuff that revolved around diversity and inclusion and spoke to my own personal experiences growing up. So its important to focus on how those activities are important to you rather than how they'll look on a medical school app. For example. I was an English language learning partner because I'm from an immigrant family and I know how hard it is to learn English when you don't have someone who speaks it on a regular basis in your family.

So this is my top-choice school, but I'm concerned about my stats ruining my chances here. Is it worth it to re-take the MCAT, or too late now? My only attempt was 505, cGPA 3.86 sGPA 3.87. IS. EC not great, 3000+ hrs healthcare experience.
Should I buckle down and re-take the MCAT in late August/early September? According to MSAR, the latest they'll accept is Sept. 28th 2020. Is it worth it to re-take, or will it be too late by then? I've submitted the primary. Thank you!

So this is my top-choice school, but I'm concerned about my stats ruining my chances here. Is it worth it to re-take the MCAT, or too late now? My only attempt was 505, cGPA 3.86 sGPA 3.87. IS. EC not great, 3000+ hrs healthcare experience.
Should I buckle down and re-take the MCAT in late August/early September? According to MSAR, the latest they'll accept is Sept. 28th 2020. Is it worth it to re-take, or will it be too late by then? I've submitted the primary. Thank you!

Howdy! The MCAT score is a little low, but the average admitted MCAT for Mizzou is also relatively lower since it’s a publicly funded, IS-biased school. I have a friend attending with me who had the following stats:

MCAT: 505
sGPA: 3.83
cGPA: 3.91

With your immense amounts of clinical experience, you should be fine. Although, an MCAT retake might be required if your ECs aren’t “great” as you say. My buddy had some unique things that applicants often didn’t have on their apps, so I think it helped them stand out. Furthermore, the interview also plays a significant role in the determination of your admission, so interview well and be thoughtful! :)

EDIT: If you choose to retake the MCAT, get it done prior to their deadline. It might be weird with this pandemic! However, if you find yourself rushing and panicking, with lower FL averages than your current score, then it’s not worth it to sit for the test and possibly perform worse, imho.

Hey Friend!

So I have seen people get accepted with your score and lower. I think you have a great sGPA and cGPA. But in order to compensate for that score, you need to have some stellar ECs. I know people that have gotten in with 501s but have done masters programs or others that had extensive research experience. What matters most is how strong your application is aside from your credentials. What do your activities say about you? Did you just do activities because they would look good on a CV for medical school or did you do activities because they meant something special to you?

Mizzou is a school that accepts people with a wide range of MCAT scores. Why? Because they see that an MCAT score isn't the only determinant for a good candidate. They want someone who is diverse in their experiences and can not only learn from the experiences of others but teach others from their experiences as well.

So in my personal opinion, do you need to take the MCAT again? Maybe. Do you feel like you have enough worthwhile experiences that will show the admission committee that you are a worthwhile candidate? Can you articulate what lesson each experience taught you and how that impacted you as a person? Did the activities you did have a deeper meaning or were they just activities you did to say you did them?

Thank you for the advice, guys! I really appreciate it. I’m just getting concerned at this point, thinking I made a big mistake in not having stronger EC and not retaking the MCAT. I had a premed advisor who wasn’t the greatest, and basically told me my score was more than enough and that clinical experience would make up for EC deficits. ‍

I tried to make up for it by doing all my shadowing/volunteering in the last few months before applying, but then everything got cancelled. Whoops.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help! I don’t feel like I have a leg to stand on for EC. I became involved with some good organizations, but hardly got any hours before things shut down. Which of course is my own fault for not doing it earlier. I guess I just need to decide for myself whether it’s worth a MCAT retake, or just hope for the best. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also a starting M1 this fall! I did undergrad and grad school here so I can help with any questions regarding the campus, location, things to do, and the medical school! Feel free to reach out!

1. Is the medical campus in the same location as the undergrad campus? Does it feel too crowded? What is the overall vibe in your words?

2. How would you describe the more general city outside of the school? Does it revolve around the campus / student population? Due to bringing my family with me, I would need to live in a quieter suburb preferably with good schools!

3. How is weather? What are some things you do for fun / what is accessible? I like outdoors-y things if that's possible.

4. What is your sense of the curriculum? Balance of PBL / lecture? Mandatory events?

1. Is the medical campus in the same location as the undergrad campus? Does it feel too crowded? What is the overall vibe in your words?

2. How would you describe the more general city outside of the school? Does it revolve around the campus / student population? Due to bringing my family with me, I would need to live in a quieter suburb preferably with good schools!

3. How is weather? What are some things you do for fun / what is accessible? I like outdoors-y things if that's possible.

4. What is your sense of the curriculum? Balance of PBL / lecture? Mandatory events?

Hey so I think all of your questions are good things to consider!

1. So the entire campus is spread out over almost 1300 acres and there is although the medical campus and undergraduate campus are at the same location there is definitely a clear distinction between the two as the medical campus is located adjacent to the hospital campus. Personally, being here so long I feel like it isn't crowded at all especially with the new building there is plenty of space for medical students and there is rarely any undergraduates that come over on the medical campus. That being said it can get crowded during game days because all of campus is open to tailgate but on normal days I feel like it is pretty spacious. Mizzou definitely has a small-town feel and the longer you are on campus the smaller and more comfortable it feels. In the beginning, I thought it was huge but after being here it definitely feels like home.

2) I would describe Columbia as more of a suburban town. Although the University is the epicentre, it is generally pretty quiet and there are a lot of things to do outside the university since it is such a growing town. South and East of the university is more college student housing so wouldn't recommend if you are bringing your family but anything north or west of the university is where most of the Columbia natives live so it is generally quieter. As for schools, I can't speak much in that regard but from what I've heard from natives schools in the are pretty good.

3) It's Missouri so the weather can be pretty bipolar. So prepare to get all 4 seasons in a matter of a couple of hours some days. Generally, it starts getting cool mid to late October with the peak snowy season being around early Jan to Feb. That being said Missouri winters are on a pendulum so last year we didn't get much snow and ice so this year will probably bring a lot of snow and ice. As for stuff to do outdoors there are a lot of hiking trails and parks in CoMo. We have a lot of music festivals and a documentary film festival that happens every March. We have a climbing park 20 minutes north of CoMo and alot of lakes nearby. So there's a little bit for everyone. The Big Oak tree is a must-see along with Devil's Ice Box.

4) PBL is Mizzou Med's pride and joy and the school has ranks past many Ivy league schools in terms of Step 1 scores. Mizzou was the first medical school to implement PBL so there is definitely a large emphasis on it. A lot of curriculum is based on hands on learning so its nice. As for mandatory events I think we have 3-4 events a semester but nothing super time consuming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone got a secondary yet or know when MIZZOU might start sending them out?

Anyone got a secondary yet or know when MIZZOU might start sending them out?
Hi there, hopefully it should come out soon. As a point of reference, most IS students received theirs ~3-4 weeks after primary apps were sent to schools. OOS students varies due to the forms you have to fill out.

So just got the OOS form and looking over the things they're looking for, I don't really fit in those categories nor do I have strong ties to Missouri. Is it even worth continuing?

So just got the OOS form and looking over the things they're looking for, I don't really fit in those categories nor do I have strong ties to Missouri. Is it even worth continuing?
Can you share what things they are looking for? I am waiting for my application to be verified, but it'd be nice to be able to save some money if there's no point in me applying here (if I also do not fit the categories).

Can you share what things they are looking for? I am waiting for my application to be verified, but it'd be nice to be able to save some money if there's no point in me applying here (if I also do not fit the categories).
they wanna know if you're a MD/Phd candidate, URM, socioeconomically disadvantaged, non-trad, rural/urban, first gen college student, veteran. tho they leave a spot to explain if you have any other unique experiences/attributes

1) Additional Information Essay. Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. 1,200 max characters
2) MIZZOU Med Essay. Please let us know information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography ect.) that led you to apply. 1,200 max characters
3) Diversity Essay.
Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.) 2,000 max characters
- how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
- how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
4) Has COVID-19 significantly impacted your 2021 medical school application? (This question is optional, and if your application wasn't greatly impacted by the pandemic, then don't feel like you have to answer.) 2,000 max characters.

There is also a reapplicant essay.

Hope that helps!

Secondary receieved yesterday, submitted today. IS, GPA 4.0, MCAT 517

Secondary received yesterday, submitted today.

In-state
512 MCAT
3.58 GPA
3.45 BCPM

Marked complete: 7/29/20

Last edited:
Secondary receieved yesterday, submitted today. IS, GPA 4.0, MCAT 517
Dang, 4.0! Did you just have an off day when you took the MCAT? I bet your AAMC FL's were averaging 522+ weren't they? I would think with a 4.0, you'd score in the top 1-2% on the MCAT, or did your undergrad have pretty significant grade inflation?

Although your MCAT falls within MIZZOU's 10th-90th percentile range for all accepted applicants, coupling that with a 4.0 are you worried about yield protection at MIZZOU?

• Haha
@WindmillChaser92 An off-day?? 517 was the top 4% of scores from that testing cycle so I'm not sure what you mean. I was proud of that score. My undergrad did not inflate grades; I went to Truman. I just worked hard. I'm not worried about yield protection for two reasons: one, my stats are high but they aren't obscenely high compared to Mizzou's averages. Second, I'm an ED applicant, so they know I'm not considering anywhere else if I'm accepted.

Last edited:
Are there any IS ED applicants from previous cycles on this thread? Does anyone know when we start (hopefully) receiving II's?

Are there any IS ED applicants from previous cycles on this thread? Does anyone know when we start (hopefully) receiving II's?

Interviews start in October and run through February. So my best guess is that you'll hear back for ED in September for the early October dates but I could be wrong.

I am not an ED applicant, but here’s the information they provide on their website.

A6E09441-93CF-4FD1-8022-9C17C19F41CF.jpeg

Did anyone else notice their paragraphs get clumped together when they hit "Print Preview"?

Does Mizzou release all of their secondaries at once? Should I worry if I haven't gotten one? I'm in-state/519/3.86/verified 5/29. (sorry if this is a dumb question I can't tell from their website)

Does Mizzou release all of their secondaries at once? Should I worry if I haven't gotten one? I'm in-state/519/3.86/verified 5/29. (sorry if this is a dumb question I can't tell from their website)
I'm not sure. By your stats, I don't see why you wouldn't receive one at some point. Mine took a while longer to receive than other schools did. They might go out in batches. I wouldn't stress just yet

I haven't gotten one either. Possibly batches, wouldn't worry- its too early in the cycle for that ;)

You were right! I got it this morning :) Thanks for the reassurance though it really helped (my parents are going neurotic premed on my behalf but they trust sdn lol)

What do y'all think they are looking for in terms of the first essay, additional information not addressed in AMCAS. Would anyone recommend not filling it out if I don't have much extra information to go over, or should I try to figure out something to say? I was prepared to make this a "why us" essay until they separated those essays this year.

What do y'all think they are looking for in terms of the first essay, additional information not addressed in AMCAS. Would anyone recommend not filling it out if I don't have much extra information to go over, or should I try to figure out something to say? I was prepared to make this a "why us" essay until they separated those essays this year.
I'm using the space to discuss a couple bad grades. If I didn't have this to discuss, I don't think I would use the space unless I had some new experience that didn't fit into my primary for whatever reason.

I wouldnt use it unless you have something that is important to you and not listed anywhere else. I have heard multiple times that ADCOMS appreciate applicants not wasting their time with fluff. It's not a wasted opportunity to leave it blank if you aren't going to put something meaningful in there.

Do you guys think I should acknowledge my low MCAT score in the additional info section? Do we even have to fill that out? Thanks! :)

Do you guys think I should acknowledge my low MCAT score in the additional info section? Do we even have to fill that out? Thanks! :)
Unless there is some unique circumstance that hugely impacted your MCAT prep, or if there was something that happened at your test center during your test that you filled a report to the AAMC about, then I would probably not mention it in the additional information section. Are you going to reveal something that makes them think, "Oh, man. We weren't going to interview this applicant, but now we are for sure"? Cuz if not, I would just wait to see if they ask you about it during an interview or if you find a way to naturally mention something about it at the interview if you think it is needed. It sounds like based on the other aspects of your application, you got a great shot at getting an interview! So I wouldn't draw unnecessary attention to your MCAT in the additional information section that is optional. They gonna see it, and it ain't a show stopper by any means! I mean look at the MSAR data below. A whole quarter of the enter class scored a 505 or lower. That means it is very common to get in with that score.

1595909856524.png

Unless there is some unique circumstance that hugely impacted your MCAT prep, or if there was something that happened at your test center during your test that you filled a report to the AAMC about, then I would probably not mention it in the additional information section. Are you going to reveal something that makes them think, "Oh, man. We weren't going to interview this applicant, but now we are for sure"? Cuz if not, I would just wait to see if they ask you about it during an interview or if you find a way to naturally mention something about it at the interview if you think it is needed. It sounds like based on the other aspects of your application, you got a great shot at getting an interview! So I wouldn't draw unnecessary attention to your MCAT in the additional information section that is optional. They gonna see it, and it ain't a show stopper by any means! I mean look at the MSAR data below. A whole quarter of the enter class scored a 505 or lower. That means it is very common to get in with that score.

View attachment 314196

That helps, thank you for your advice! :)

I am currently residing OOS, but MO is my legal residence (marked as such in AMCAS primary). So, I'm an IS non-ED applicant. Since I was not sure if there was a formal "application complete" e-mail other than the payment received e-mail, I wrote MIZZOU to ask if they needed anything else from me besides completing that residency questionnaire in the secondary invitation e-mail (I imagined they would need more documents/proof of MO residency since I currently live OOS). I got this e-mail from the admissions office yesterday. Thought I would share, in case anyone is wondering about timeline, when to expect to get an update, etc.

The University of Missouri School of Medicine wishes to inform you that your application file is complete. This means that we have received your secondary application and payment, and your file is now in committee screening.

The committee screening process can take a significant amount of time, and it could be awhile before you are given an application update. The Office of Admissions will let you know as soon as we know any application updates, including an invitation to interview, Interviews are conducted October through February, and will be held virtually this year due to COVID-19.

Sincerely,

Admissions Office
School of Medicine
University of Missouri

Any OOS applicants submit the OOS form and receive a secondary app yet?

In the residency form, to answer the question, "Please describe why you consider yourself a Missouri resident," did you write a full essay or just simply say, for example, "I've lived in Missouri all of my life"?

In the residency form, to answer the question, "Please describe why you consider yourself a Missouri resident," did you write a full essay or just simply say, for example, "I've lived in Missouri all of my life"?
I don't think it's looking for a full essay. My situation is not completely straight forward, and I think I maybe wrote three sentences. I said something along the lines of, "I am originally from MO. Although I do not currently reside in MO, it is my home-of-record. I pay MO state taxes, registered to vote in MO, have a MO driver's license, vehicle is registered in MO, and I pay property tax on my vehicle in MO."

If you have never left MO, I would literally probably say you've always lived in MO. It might help to add what county you are registered to vote and pay property taxes (if applicable).

How long after submitting the OOS contract did you guys hear back from them?

Is there a word or character limit on this OOS form?

Letters of recommendation requirements for this school say that students just need to submit 3-6 letters and they suggest at least one of them be from a science faculty that issued them a grade.

I thought I had read on their page last year that they required 2 science and 1 non-science professor letter.

Is my current understanding correct that a non-science professor letter is NOT required?

Letters of recommendation requirements for this school say that students just need to submit 3-6 letters and they suggest at least one of them be from a science faculty that issued them a grade.

I thought I had read on their page last year that they required 2 science and 1 non-science professor letter.

Is my current understanding correct that a non-science professor letter is NOT required?

Rule of thumb is 2 science and 1 non-science but this can change if you are a non-traditional student. I would at least try and have 1 science and 1 non-science if you can just to cover all your bases.

Lmao hmm shoulda done more research before applying here, no ties to Missouri and would only be able to fill out like 1 category for the OOS form. Will be putting the car in reverse, good luck to the rest of y’all! Peace

How long after submitting the OOS contract did you guys hear back from them?

I received an email notification this morning saying they received my OOS form (submitted it a couple weeks ago), but it didn't come with the secondary. It said they will notify me thereafter "when a decision regarding your candidacy has been made". *fingers crossed

I received an email notification this morning saying they received my OOS form (submitted it a couple weeks ago), but it didn't come with the secondary. It said they will notify me thereafter "when a decision regarding your candidacy has been made". *fingers crossed
got the same email today as well

Submitted OOS form last night. How long will it take to hear back from them....? Anyone got a response after OOS submission? Other than "will notify you via email"