2017-2018 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would agree, it seems variable.

Members don't see this ad.

I also recall them saying that they only send the invites out to those who's scores they think won't be topped, since otherwise they'll be holding down everyone else.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Reactions: 1 user
Any insight on how many out of state applicants actually get secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you clarify what you mean by this?

So I've heard them describe what they do two different ways. 1). The top 3-5 (or whatever number) at the end of the month get invites. 2). If someone scores so high they don't think anyone else will come close to their score, they get an invite.

It could just be 2 different ways of saying the same thing. I'd say don't get too hung up on the wording, the basic premise is the top X number of interviewes get sent acceptances each month.

Any insight on how many out of state applicants actually get secondaries?

I'd say the MSAR would be your best bet. We are a state school so we lean heavily MO, but I don't think we have a set % that has to be MO residents (unlike TX for example). Sorry I can't give you more than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Are we allowed to call and ask about the status of our application/how many interviews have been given out? Kinda worried that I haven't received any word yet!

So I've heard them describe what they do two different ways. 1). The top 3-5 (or whatever number) at the end of the month get invites. 2). If someone scores so high they don't think anyone else will come close to their score, they get an invite.

It could just be 2 different ways of saying the same thing. I'd say don't get too hung up on the wording, the basic premise is the top X number of interviewes get sent acceptances each month.

I'd say the MSAR would be your best bet. We are a state school so we lean heavily MO, but I don't think we have a set % that has to be MO residents (unlike TX for example). Sorry I can't give you more than that.
Thank you very much!

Are we allowed to call and ask about the status of our application/how many interviews have been given out? Kinda worried that I haven't received any word yet!

You're allowed to call, but I have no idea if they will tell you or not.

Give them a little time to work through the stacks. If I hear anything about how far out interviews have been scheduled so far I will report back here.

For OOS, did you get an email confirming that they received your secondary fee?

Submitted a few weeks ago but just got another LOR from a non science professor and received that email.
For OOS, did you get an email confirming that they received your secondary fee?

Just got an interview invite.
October 25th

Ugrad: 3.2
Grad: 3.8
Mcat: 508
In state

Reactions: 3 users
II today!
Submitted late August
In state- Went to Mizzou for undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an II from here today! IS applicant, complete August 21st

Does anyone that has interviewed already want to confirm the interview format? Just making sure it's still 2 open-file, one-on-one interviews.

Does anyone that has interviewed already want to confirm the interview format? Just making sure it's still 2 open-file, one-on-one interviews.
I interviewed last year, and yes that is how it was. I interview on Wednesday so I will confirm this.

I interviewed last year, and yes that is how it was. I interview on Wednesday so I will confirm this.

+1 except for the interviewing Wednesday part. Expect the standard questions and enjoy the tour of the new facilities. They're awesome.

Cancelling my interview on October 25th.

Got accepted to KCUMB, and I'd prefer to go D.O.

Good luck to everybody!

Reactions: 5 users
II!! Found out over the phone a couple weeks ago, LizzyM ~68, in-state

I'm in love with this school. I was completed 9/3 and I'm in state, LizzyM 64 with lots of work in the field. I'm super bummed I haven't gotten a II :( I know my LizzyM makes expecting one a stretch but a girl can dream

Last edited:
I'm in love with this school. I was completed 9/3 and I'm in state, LizzyM 64 with lots of work in the field. I'm super bummed I haven't gotten a II :( I know my LizzyM makes expecting one a stretch but a girl can dream
Hang in there! I am a LizzyM 69.5 Instate and I havent heard anything yet either, I was complete a few days before you as well. Ive got a lot of shadowing plus 2 research projects, and volunteer work in healthcare settings. I've heard in the past that Mizzou is just slow with their admissions process

Reapplicant here. 2300 + people applied last year. I was complete 8/27 last year and didn’t get my interview invite until nov 15. At my interview last week they told us that 3000 people have already applied. You still probably have a while. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I would assume so. Those dates were sent out to those of us who will be student ambassadors. I think they are still working on filling out the interview slots. Remember, there are still slots open in January.

I remember them saying 3-5 last year when I interviewed. I think it's somewhat variable. I also recall them saying that they only send the invites out to those who's scores they think won't be topped, since otherwise they'll be holding down everyone else. The majority of folks get in at the end of the cycle, so it's not all lost if you don't get accepted at the end of the month.

I think the day-of-interview phone calls were only when they interviewed on the last day of that month's cycle and is up to the interviewer's discretion. I'm not a part of the admissions team, so this is all just speculation/past evidence.

I am a re-re-applicant at MU and recently interviewed for the third consecutive year. 3-5 is a little off. It is closer to 5-15 with 30 acceptances at final decision in typical years.

This year MU is having problems with budget cuts at the state level, so they may drop the number of acceptances from 132 to 96. The admissions committee may be more stringent this year, making the 3-5 number more accurate.

This year MU is having problems with budget cuts at the state level, so they may drop the number of acceptances from 132 to 96. The admissions committee may be more stringent this year, making the 3-5 number more accurate.

Also reapp and MO native. I can attest to the first part about accepting 5-15 q month but I haven’t heard anything about cutting the class from 128 (unfamiliar with the 132 unless they added more slots again) to 92 due to budget cuts. Was this in the new Greitens budget or something?

Also reapp and MO native. I can attest to the first part about accepting 5-15 q month but I haven’t heard anything about cutting the class from 128 (unfamiliar with the 132 unless they added more slots again) to 92 due to budget cuts. Was this in the new Greitens budget or something?
At my interview they said they would not know the full extent of the budget cuts for next year until February. So I imagine they won’t accept more than around 90 students before that date.

II for the Nov. 21. So excited!
Do you guys recommend staying with the host?

Yeah I didn't mention that - thanks for clarifying. MU may cut the class from 132 to 96, but we won't learn until the Missouri state legislature convenes in January and passes a budget. MU will be lobbying to keep the class size at 132, as the cost to train students is far outweighed by the infrastructure put in place to train the additional 36 students.

At my 2015-2016 February interview, I was informed the admissions committee had sent out 80/96 acceptances. I expect a similar ratio to be observed this year with 96 students through February. Then, if the Missouri state legislature comes to its senses, we will see between 40-50 acceptances for the final decision in March.

tl;dr: if MU is your first choice and you have an early interview, go find yourself a therapist because its going to be a long ride.

Reactions: 4 users
tl;dr: if MU is your first choice and you have an early interview, go find yourself a therapist because its going to be a long ride.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a long ride until March regardless. I learned this the hard way last year lol

II for the Nov. 21. So excited!
Do you guys recommend staying with the host?

Do you have a morning or afternoon interview? A host family may be more helpful if you have a morning interview and need instructions (or a ride) to get to the medical school quickly, although an Uber is just as good. Otherwise, I recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites (at the University of Missouri). The hotel is very close, a 15 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the medical school, with an excellent continental breakfast.

First batch of acceptances at the end of this week? Or maybe beginning of next week?

First batch of acceptances at the end of this week? Or maybe beginning of next week?
I believe they said the last Friday of every month. So hopefully we hear something this Friday!

Do you have a morning or afternoon interview? A host family may be more helpful if you have a morning interview and need instructions (or a ride) to get to the medical school quickly, although an Uber is just as good. Otherwise, I recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites (at the University of Missouri). The hotel is very close, a 15 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the medical school, with an excellent continental breakfast.
It's afternoon interview. I am driving there (only 7 hours). Thank you for the info.

I believe they said the last Friday of every month. So hopefully we hear something this Friday!
Hopefully! (FWIW MSAR lists the earliest acceptance notice as October 31, 2017)

Reactions: 2 users
I think the email goes out sometime today… not sure though.

I think the email goes out sometime today… not sure though.
I know in the past that they have called applicants. Think there is any chance of that?

I know in the past that they have called applicants. Think there is any chance of that?
Definitely possible:) I’m not trying to get my hopes up though. I think last year it happened more towards the afternoon. Good luck today guys!

Reactions: 2 users