2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Late to posting this lol but got an II todayyy!!! OOS
Congrats to everyone accepted and everyone with IIs!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if Michigan will give you in-state residency after a year of medical school there if you were originally from out of state? I know some schools do that.

Does anyone know if Michigan will give you in-state residency after a year of medical school there if you were originally from out of state? I know some schools do that.
They do not. Your residency status now determines your eligibility for all four years. They do, however, offer extremely generous financial aid and scholarships. Most of the people I know are paying less than half-tuition due to grants / scholarships

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you all know if there is any follow up to the acceptance email? Like a place to confirm our acceptance? I don't see anything on the portal and wanted to be absolutely sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you all know if there is any follow up to the acceptance email? Like a place to confirm our acceptance? I don't see anything on the portal and wanted to be absolutely sure.

At the bottom of the email, there is a link that says schedule my interview or something. That's all I've seen so far. I think the portal will update soon?

The status message in my portal says this: Congratulations!! You have been offered admission to the University of Michigan Medical School. No deposit is required. A seat is being held for you!

Congrats! :)

At the bottom of the email, there is a link that says schedule my interview or something. That's all I've seen so far. I think the portal will update soon?
wow, I'm still tired. I misread your question! Ignore me, that was for an interview invite

The status message in my portal says this: Congratulations!! You have been offered admission to the University of Michigan Medical School. No deposit is required. A seat is being held for you!

Congrats! :)

Congrats to you! Found that line on my portal also -- I must not have been reading carefully. Thanks so much for the reassurance.

@MintChocolateChip No worries! I appreciate the effort :)

so how long after the interview invite email did the portal update to do the pre-interview questions/essays?

Accepted today!! YESSS! Best feeling in the world getting accepted at your top choice!

Also ACCEPTED! Feeling incredibly grateful
Congrats to you! Found that line on my portal also -- I must not have been reading carefully. Thanks so much for the reassurance.

@MintChocolateChip No worries! I appreciate the effort :)

Yay just found it too! Was getting worried that they sent me the acceptance email by mistake :laugh:
Just FYI for others who get accepted, click on the "View Check List" and it's the first couple lines :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all the acceptees :) Any interview advice you'd like to share?
You got this!
Remember, you're there because they already love you. So no need to try hard to impress them.:)
It's like going on a date with someone that you already know likes you, so just be yourself :love:

Also, I wrote about my experience so you can read if you want, but really everyone is so unique that I think these stats and diaries are more stressful than actually helpful

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all the acceptees :) Any interview advice you'd like to share?
Honestly, just have fun! I made sure to enjoy the interview day and Michigan really rolls out the red carpet for you, so it's not too difficult to have a good time. Get to know the people interviewing with you, be yourself, and take the time to learn as much about the school as you can. Be social, laugh, and I'm sure it'll end up being a great experience for you.

They give you a water bottle and mine leaked all over the floor when I left it in my bag during lunch so... close your water bottle carefully I guess? :oops:

But seriously, Michigan is great! The faculty/student interviewers are extremely nice, and they will explain a bit about the MMI before you do it. That’s all in the morning, so you’ll be able to breathe easier during lunch with the students and the untour. Dean Gay gives an awesome speech at the beginning of the day. Also, try to make the pizza dinner the night before if possible! It was a nice way to get our some of my nerves.

Reactions: 2 users
They give you a water bottle and mine leaked all over the floor when I left it in my bag during lunch so... close your water bottle carefully I guess? :oops:

But seriously, Michigan is great! The faculty/student interviewers are extremely nice, and they will explain a bit about the MMI before you do it. That’s all in the morning, so you’ll be able to breathe easier during lunch with the students and the untour. Dean Gay gives an awesome speech at the beginning of the day. Also, try to make the pizza dinner the night before if possible! It was a nice way to get our some of my nerves.

Do they have acting stations or no?

Do they have acting stations or no?

I'm not sure if we're supposed to talk about it or not (a lot of schools understandably don't want people discussing what goes on in their MMIs), so I'll err on the side of caution -- but they will let you know what kind of stations you'll encounter beforehand.

The most valuable preparation you can do for MMIs is practicing scenarios (timing 2 mins to look at the prompt and then formulate an answer, 6 mins to talk, etc.). I found that actually talking out loud and listening to how uncohesive my answers were was really helpful in feeling less stressed and pressured the day of. A lot of MMI books out there heavily focus on ethical situations so I stressed out and tried to read the entirety of the Washington Bioethics website, but I've actually encountered far fewer ethical situations than I would have expected. I was actually a bit worried about my Michigan MMI because I think I looked too relieved when the bell sounded and the station was over :oops:

They do not. Your residency status now determines your eligibility for all four years. They do, however, offer extremely generous financial aid and scholarships. Most of the people I know are paying less than half-tuition due to grants / scholarships
Thank you so much!

Just double checking -- for the HIPAA portion, do we simply go through the provided slides then save a PDF of the HIPAA certificate after putting our name in? No test/quiz?

Last edited:
Posting for updates. Was accepted to this school a few days ago.

Reactions: 3 users
Has Michigan started sending out rejections yet? Also, can we assume Michigan is mainly just interviewing IS students now?

Last edited:
Has Michigan started sending out rejections yet? Also, can we assume Michigan is mainly just interviewing IS students now?
I was there recently. A few interviewees at my date were UMich alum, but no one (I think?) was actually from Michigan, which was kind of surprising.

Disclaimer: these are my musings and I might be totally wrong about everything below, but:
I would say they're definitely interviewing OOS students by now because there aren't many interview dates left on the schedule (at least based on when my interview was scheduled). Not to freak anyone out, but according to their website and based on the dates I was offered as an OOS, there is only December 15, January 19, and Feb 2 left for interviews ...so if my guess is correct, then there are only about 3-5 interview dates left right now? Not positive but I think I read somewhere that they have 26-36 candidates per date. Maybe people this Monday can tell us what dates they were offered so others can know how many dates are left.
I interviewed a few weeks ago and everyone was OOS. I thought they started with OOS then moved to IS? Did you mean IS but wrote OOS in your original message?

So few interviews left :( losing hope

There are more I dates left than have passed.
https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/assets/md_2017-18_ interview_dates.pdf

Only 343 IIs have been given and only 76 admissions offers have been given out.
M.D. Admissions

I'm realistic, I have <10%ile scores for this school.... it's my dream school... but we are only in the middle, not at the end.

Congrats to all with interviews and acceptances! There are a lot of incredible people out there vying for this field, and I hope to one day get the honor to learn and serve alongside you. <3

Reactions: 2 users
There are more I dates left than have passed.

Only 343 IIs have been given and only 76 admissions offers have been given out.

I'm realistic, I have <10%ile scores for this school.... it's my dream school... but we are only in the middle, not at the end.

Congrats to all with interviews and acceptances! There are a lot of incredible people out there vying for this field, and I hope to one day get the honor to learn and serve alongside you. <3
you know it's amazing how transparent they are with the process..having an interview and admissions tracker? seriously makes me want to go this school even more

Anyone else OOS complete around early July and still in silence? :/

I'm just assuming I've been rejected from this school. Was hoping they would let me know already so I can stop checking

don't give up hope, there are still interview dates left and we've got another Monday tomorrow!! I heard from them last Monday and was complete early July as an OOS!

+2 Pretty much just assuming a rejection at this point, sad since they take a pretty large number of applicants from my UG each year :(

Hm I might be misunderstanding your message, but I meant OOS everywhere I typed it. I was replying to someone on the thread who asked if UM is just interviewing IS applicants now, and I said I think UM is definitely interviewing OOS students (and NOT just IS students) given that there are very few interview dates left. I, myself, am an OOS applicant.
UMich interviews OOS first and then transitions to IS. They were asking if UMich has started the transition yet, ie. if IIs to OOS applicants will start to decrease. Based on your anecdote, I think the answer to this is yes.

+2 Pretty much just assuming a rejection at this point, sad since they take a pretty large number of applicants from my UG each year

UMich interviews OOS first and then transitions to IS. They were asking if UMich has started the transition yet, ie. if IIs to OOS applicants will start to decrease. Based on your anecodate, I think the answer to this is yes.
Oooh thank you for the clarification! Sorry, I had not been following this thread so I didn't now UMich offered OOS before IS, oops. Makes sense.

I haven't heard anything. Last week they updated twitter at 8 PM PST, so we have a few hours yet to wait I guess.

#umichmedmonday is delayed due to technical issues. We’ll update on interview invitations as soon as we can!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got an II like 15 mins ago! OOS complete mid-August.

Reactions: 11 users