2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have interviewed (congrats first of all!): for the pre-interview questions (“tertiary app”) and the question about core competencies – are they looking for you to explain how your extracurriculars have fulfilled each competency, or is it really an optional question? I can come up with ways my activities fulfilled each one, but I also did all the general premed classes, so I guess I don’t really know what they are looking for… Anyone have any insight?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed (congrats first of all!): for the pre-interview questions (“tertiary app”) and the question about core competencies – are they looking for you to explain how your extracurriculars have fulfilled each competency, or is it really an optional question? I can come up with ways my activities fulfilled each one, but I also did all the general premed classes, so I guess I don’t really know what they are looking for… Anyone have any insight?

Thank you!
I haven't interviewed yet, but to me it seems like it's optional. If you took all the pre med classes, I think that would cover it

"22 IIs went out on #UmichMedMonday, albeit a bit later than usual. Note: All interview days are created equal—whether now or in the new year"

Reactions: 1 users
Last year, October 24th was the last day they sent out a large amount of interviews, after that it was never greater than 10 any given week....safe to say my chances are slim...
well also take into account that the cycle started a week later than last year, and that mich was slow to send out II's in the beginning this year (if you go to earlier pages, there was some one tracking week by week what the deficit was)

well also take into account that the cycle started a week later than last year, and that mich was slow to send out II's in the beginning this year (if you go to earlier pages, there was some one tracking week by week what the deficit was)

Also, Michigan received 6111 applications last year and interviewed 529 people according to MSAR. This year they received around 7400+ applications, so they may interview more people by the same percentage margin.

It’s pretty unclear; don’t give up hope just yet.

Last year, October 24th was the last day they sent out a large amount of interviews, after that it was never greater than 10 any given week....safe to say my chances are slim...

Yeah I give up. Another reminder that life isn’t fair I suppose.

No, there's only two interview dates left. One in January and one in February. At 26-36 people / interview date, you're talking anywhere from 52 to 72 invites left. This means Umich has sent 80-85% of their invites.

I expect the same trend of 5-10 invites / michigan monday from now on.

No, there's only two interview dates left. One in January and one in February. At 26-36 people / interview date, you're talking anywhere from 52 to 72 invites left. This means Umich has sent 80-85% of their invites.

I expect the same trend of 5-10 invites / michigan monday from now on.

Where did you get this info..? Someone just said they were offered two dates in December so there's definitely more than two left. Also their admissions tracker said they have 353 interviews scheduled and if they offer the same amount as last year that's roughly 65%.

Where did you get this info? Someone just said they were offered two dates in December so there's definitely more than two left..
Umich has their dates published online. December 15 is the mid december date. Assuming they got filled since 22 invites were put out and a few of my friends who got interviews yesterday said that december 15 was only option they had. Leaving 2 dates. January 19 and February 2.

https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/assets/md_2017-18_ interview_dates.pdf

Has anyone sent pre-II updates? / Does anyone know if mich accecpts them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Umich has their dates published online. December 15 is the mid december date. Assuming they got filled since 22 invites were put out and a few of my friends who got interviews yesterday said that december 15 was only option they had. Leaving 2 dates. January 19 and February 2.
Keep in mind that these dates are subject to change! Maybe they will add more. Although Umich is pretty transparent, a lot of this process still remains a mystery to us as applicants. I think it's in our best interest to hold on to hope! I'm going to do my best to remain positive and focus on my daily life, and hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised sometime between now and February.

You've come really far - maybe try to think about all that you've accomplished. I believe in all of us. :)

Keep in mind that these dates are subject to change! Maybe they will add more. Although Umich is pretty transparent, a lot of this process still remains a mystery to us as applicants. I think it's in our best interest to hold on to hope! I'm going to do my best to remain positive and focus on my daily life, and hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised sometime between now and February.

You've come really far - maybe try to think about all that you've accomplished. I believe in all of us. :)
This this and this

This is possible. I think keeping hope is a good idea, but prepare for the worst. Send in updates to umich and other schools and don't get too attached to any one school.

My initial point wasn't to discourage anyone but to just say that more than likely it'll follow same trend as last year and become 5-10 invites / monday.

Has anyone receive a post-secondary rejection yet? The complete emails said that they will be reviewing apps repeatedly over the next several months as they compare applicant files so I was wondering if they won't reject anyone until the end.

Has anyone receive a post-secondary rejection yet? The complete emails said that they will be reviewing apps repeatedly over the next several months as they compare applicant files so I was wondering if they won't reject anyone until the end.

I haven't seen any reported rejections, except mstp applicants. I looked at last year's thread, and rejections looked to roll out towards the mid-end of January. I'd be over the moon w an II but if I'm not getting one, it'll be nice to have that closure so I can move on.
Do I sound like a neurotic bachelorette contestant in a months-long rose ceremony?
Cause I certainly feel like one. Still waiting for a rose, UMich.......................... :angelic:
@---;---------

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone sent pre-II updates? / Does anyone know if mich accecpts them?

Yes I'm sending an update tomorrow. It's going to be short:

"Dear UMMMS,
I love you. Do you love me too?
Circle YES or NO.

Love,
Hazel-Rah"

(With alternating maize and blue letters)

What do ya'll think?

Reactions: 6 users
Yes I'm sending an update tomorrow. It's going to be short:

"Dear UMMMS,
I love you. Do you love me too?
Circle YES or NO.

Love,
Hazel-Rah"

(With alternating maize and blue letters)

What do ya'll think?
you also need to vow your eternal hatred of MSU and then you're set for an II

you also need to vow your eternal hatred of MSU and then you're set for an II

Im so emotionally conflicted. I'm interviewing there this week :-/
Anything to get even remotely close to my true love....................

Have they offered very many IS IIs yet? I've seen a few posting on here, but given that a good chunk of their class is supposed to be MI residents, it seems unlikely that they would be almost done giving IIs at this point, right?

Have they offered very many IS IIs yet? I've seen a few posting on here, but given that a good chunk of their class is supposed to be MI residents, it seems unlikely that they would be almost done giving IIs at this point, right?

Someone should tweet them and ask, then report back........... I'm really curious too...

Also, IS. For some reason, most of their IS IIs go out later in the cycle... So much for being a state school.

Also, IS. For some reason, most of their IS IIs go out later in the cycle... So much for being a state school.
About ~50% of seats of every class to go to IS applicants. Interviewing later shouldn't affect IS chances of getting in. They just have a shifted time frame. Deep breath, relax :-D

I wonder if a lot of the students who deferred their acceptances until 2018's matriculating class were IS students. Then I imagine the number of IS interviews this year would decrease. Also for the vast majority of IS peeps U of M is their top choice and they're probably trying to avoid over enrolling like last year :(

To anyone whos interviewed here already - is the pizza dinner the night before casual attire i.e. OK to wear jeans or be more on the side of formal? i'm guessing informal but couldnt find it stated anywhere explicityly

To anyone whos interviewed here already - is the pizza dinner the night before casual attire i.e. OK to wear jeans or be more on the side of formal? i'm guessing informal but couldnt find it stated anywhere explicityly
tuxes for the men, ball gown for the ladies at the pizza house

all jokes aside, i saw a picture on the umichmed instagram and everyone was dressed casual

Has anyone from in-state who goes to UMich or lives in Ann Arbor receive an II yet? I don't know of anyone here who knows of anyone here with an II... o_O Hoping they're just saving us for the winter since we don't have to travel far:unsure:

At this point I’m personally giving up on speculation. I find it exhausting and not very useful. For me, if it happens it happens! If not, life goes on.

Reactions: 17 users
Hi all, this is my dream school! Was wondering if anyone knows when the app is under review. I just see a green button looking thing with the word submitted. Does that change depending on which stage you're at? I just want to know I am looking at the right things, thanks.

Hi all, this is my dream school! Was wondering if anyone knows when the app is under review. I just see a green button looking thing with the word submitted. Does that change depending on which stage you're at? I just want to know I am looking at the right things, thanks.

They don't let you know when it's under review. Still says submitted for me and I was complete in July.

If you click "View Checklist" you can actually see your status. Mine tells me that I am complete and my file is under review at this time

EDIT: But there is no update that specifically says that your file is under review.

informal af lol. some girl showed up with a crop top lmao.

Reactions: 3 users
For the "tertiary" application, does anyone know if the 1500 character limit is including spaces? Thanks :help:

Last edited:
Hello,

Does anyone know if UMich accepts updates? Still trying to get an II here...

Thank you!

Anyone thats interviewed already, can you talk about the MMI and one-on-one interview experiences? Were they pretty straight forward questions compared to other interviews you’ve had?