2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone thats interviewed already, can you talk about the MMI and one-on-one interview experiences? Were they pretty straight forward questions compared to other interviews you’ve had?

Very straightforward. My traditional interviewers were incredibly nice and didn't try to trick me at all, and the MMI's were pretty simple for the most part too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Very straightforward. My traditional interviewers were incredibly nice and didn't try to trick me at all, and the MMI's were pretty simple for the most part too.

I thought the MMIs were pretty fun. Go in with a game mindset and rise to the unique challenge. Agree that the interviewers were warm and inviting.

Members don't see this ad :)
INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF so happy. Magic thread is magic. Complete 7/20, OOS, available dates were 12/15 and sometime in january (too happy to pay attention)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Wow, so 353 interviews had been scheduled out of their usual 560-570 and they're already down to the last couple interview dates... Either they interview like 180 people in two days or they're interviewing far fewer people this year.

Last edited:
Wow, so 353 interviews had been scheduled out of their usual 560-570 and they're already down to the last couple interview dates...
Yeah, with the 28 they just gave out today. That means theres about another 40 spots or so. Unless they open up more dates.

Almost certain more dates will open up. I'm trying to keep positive.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an II! I'm IS and submitted around July 15-20th or so. This is my absolute dream school, and I'm beyond happy. I'm wishing everyone the best!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an II! I'm IS and submitted around July 15-20th or so. This is my absolute dream school, and I'm beyond happy. I'm wishing everyone the best!

Wow, congrats! What an exciting day! :highfive:

mind if i ask what your LM is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear some fellow wolverines are getting love. Hopefully more of us will follow.

From their twitter:
Admissions alert: no IIs on 11/6 #UMichMedMonday due to team travel to the AAMC conference.

Reactions: 4 users
Searching for advice... I am likely to be in MI next week for an Interview - just found out today. Is it even worth it to send an in the area request here in such short notice? :/

Searching for advice... I am likely to be in MI next week for an Interview - just found out today. Is it even worth it to send an in the area request here in such short notice? :/

they arent even meeting this week...so probably not

It can't hurt!

I interviewed here in October, so supposed to hear next week. Was wondering if I should send an update letter on some activities I've been involved in this fall outside of work (mentoring and shadowing). Not sure if it's helpful since the decision comes out soon. Thoughts?

I interviewed here in October, so supposed to hear next week. Was wondering if I should send an update letter on some activities I've been involved in this fall outside of work (mentoring and shadowing). Not sure if it's helpful since the decision comes out soon. Thoughts?
doesn't matter

I've been told that updates with UM at any point in the process aren't really influential.

I've been told that updates with UM at any point in the process aren't really influential.
Thanks to you both! Didn't wanna feel like I could've done more, so very helpful

When does UofM start rejecting?

Hey guys, I got an email from the admissions office offering to reimburse me $250 for my interview travel expenses. Is this normal? I'm just a tad wary because they are requesting my social security number. Is this legit?

Hey guys, I got an email from the admissions office offering to reimburse me $250 for my interview travel expenses. Is this normal? I'm just a tad wary because they are requesting my social security number. Is this legit?
Seems phishy. If you don't get an answer here I'd call the admissions office before giving out any personal info. Better be safe than sorry. Who knows what people will do for money.

It's normal and legit, I got one too and am being reimbursed soon

Why? Didn't they defer a bunch of people from last cycle?
There's 21 of us in the deferred students Facebook group. I don't know if that's all of us but just to give you an idea.

They did this for me last year, definitely not a scam! I don't think they offer it to everyone though.

There's 21 of us in the deferred students Facebook group. I don't know if that's all of us but just to give you an idea.

They did this for me last year, definitely not a scam! I don't think they offer it to everyone though.

That's insane. I've never heard of that many deferred students in one class...

That's insane. I've never heard of that many deferred students in one class...

Yeah it was crazy! They asked us in May if people wanted to defer. It was my graduation day and I had zero plans for the year off lol

Lol what, do they do this for FAP people or the super stars?

Lol what, do they do this for FAP people or the super stars?
I am both low income and a merit scholarship recipient so I couldn't tell ya which lol, I just remember from the thread last year that only some people got it

If I get one more Tips to Apply email...

For requesting a host, do you get to choose from a list, or are we assigned a host?

Is the admissions office closed on Fridays? I made a pretty big mistake on my interview confirmation essays, and was hoping to talk to someone but I haven't been able to get in touch with anybody

Is the admissions office closed on Fridays? I made a pretty big mistake on my interview confirmation essays, and was hoping to talk to someone but I haven't been able to get in touch with anybody

You could probably email them letting them know in detail what changes you would like to make. I'm sure they'll be happy to do it for you!

You could probably email them letting them know in detail what changes you would like to make. I'm sure they'll be happy to do it for you!
Yeah I did that last night, but I guess there is nobody in the office today so I will probably just have to wait until Monday. Waiting just makes me freak out a little bit more, but hopefully it won't end up mattering

I am both low income and a merit scholarship recipient so I couldn't tell ya which lol, I just remember from the thread last year that only some people got it
I thought it was unbelievable too, but just got my check. I think Umich is just nice like that. I am a FAP recipient and don't think I am a super star in terms of numbers, but maybe in other ways;) . Also, could be a limited lottery for all we know...

I sent in a host request! Do they actually assign/confirm only one week prior to the interview? I'm hoping not because I don't want to have to make a last minute hotel booking...
I ended up getting a host assignment two full weeks before, but I had also booked a hotel with a 24-hour cancellation policy just for the peace of mind. :)

For what it's worth, Michigan seemed to have a ton of enthusiastic students who wanted to host, come to lunch with us, help with the "untour," etc. so I would wager a guess most people who want a host get one, but you don't want to risk overlapping with an exam day or something...

I ended up getting a host assignment two full weeks before, but I had also booked a hotel with a 24-hour cancellation policy just for the peace of mind. :)

For what it's worth, Michigan seemed to have a ton of enthusiastic students who wanted to host, come to lunch with us, help with the "untour," etc. so I would wager a guess most people who want a host get one, but you don't want to risk overlapping with an exam day or something...

They only have flex quizzes (can take anytime between Friday and Sunday), so I don’t think exams would be a problem! To be honest, by far the biggest pro of living with student hosts for me is that they bring me to admissions in the morning... I get lost easily so it’s a lot less stress, haha. Also, my host had a puppy!

They only have flex quizzes (can take anytime between Friday and Sunday), so I don’t think exams would be a problem! To be honest, by far the biggest pro of living with student hosts for me is that they bring me to admissions in the morning... I get lost easily so it’s a lot less stress, haha. Also, my host had a puppy!
That's so cute! My hosts were wonderful and it was great talking to people who had already been through the process.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Yeah I did that last night, but I guess there is nobody in the office today so I will probably just have to wait until Monday. Waiting just makes me freak out a little bit more, but hopefully it won't end up mattering
It was Veteran's Day observed yesterday :)

Right, flex quizzes! I forgot about those. Totally agree with the helpfulness of being delivered to admissions in the morning... someone my day without a host got lost and showed up late, which is always my nightmare :eek: