2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone complete 7/14 or after been scored yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't received a secondary yet, were we supposed to fill out that "admissions reply card"? Neither of my parents went there or work there.

Haven't received a secondary yet, were we supposed to fill out that "admissions reply card"? Neither of my parents went there or work there.
We're not supposed to fill out that form unless we do have parents affiliated with Miami. Unfortunately, I'm a fool and filled it out before reading all the way through. Hasn't helped me get a secondary...

Members don't see this ad :)
@CaptainSword1

So I'm personally not concerned and I'll tell you why.

LCME comes every 8 years to re-accredit which is obviously a very necessary process to ensure adequate training and environment for students. With that said, medical education and it's workings are in a constant ebb and flow. I don't think there's any institution that operates at optimum capacity at all times in terms of LCME metrics. What were once the goals for improvement over one 8-yr cycle might completely change the following cycle. While trying to improve deficiencies from the previous cycle, I think it's reasonable to expect that other things may decline a bit when LCME comes back 8 years later.

Some areas that garnered an unsatisfactory rating were things like "sufficiency of buildings and equipment" and "comparability of education/assessment" between the different medical degree programs which were already being looked into prior to evaluation. It's not like admin is sitting on their hands despite what others will have you think and students still perform very well.

In terms of student mistreatment. I've never experienced it in the pre-clinical environment, haven't heard any horror stories, and can't yet speak to it in terms of clinicals. At any rate, I agree that this is concerning in a way and should be addressed accordingly. The point of a school is to house and be there for it's students. No one wants to pay to be mistreated unless you're into that kinda thing...;)

All in all, I'm agreeing that Miller needs to get it's act together on certain things but this knee-jerk reaction isn't necessary. I think it's also worth noting that all schools aren't reviewed on the same 8 year cycle so a school's results can be more pronounced a particular year. If I were betting man, I'd say "monitoring" and "unsatisfactory" ratings are relatively common after these things.

Not an expert in the accreditation process, just a student with $0.02. Hope it adds some clarity.

Alrighty! Didn't know what the whole thing entailed and assumed it was the ebb and flow of accreditation like you said but I just wanted to hear from current students about it. Thanks for the in-depth response, appreciate it a lot!

I am not sure if anyone had answered/described this before. As for the secondary questions, when asking you to list volunteer/shadowing whatever... are they also asking for specific hours for each activity? And how specific are the dates that they are looking for? Certain activities during my early years in college will be very difficult to find an exact date for.

@CaptainSword1

So I'm personally not concerned and I'll tell you why.

LCME comes every 8 years to re-accredit which is obviously a very necessary process to ensure adequate training and environment for students. With that said, medical education and it's workings are in a constant ebb and flow. I don't think there's any institution that operates at optimum capacity at all times in terms of LCME metrics. What were once the goals for improvement over one 8-yr cycle might completely change the following cycle. While trying to improve deficiencies from the previous cycle, I think it's reasonable to expect that other things may decline a bit when LCME comes back 8 years later.

Some areas that garnered an unsatisfactory rating were things like "sufficiency of buildings and equipment" and "comparability of education/assessment" between the different medical degree programs which were already being looked into prior to evaluation. It's not like admin is sitting on their hands despite what others will have you think and students still perform very well.

In terms of student mistreatment. I've never experienced it in the pre-clinical environment, haven't heard any horror stories, and can't yet speak to it in terms of clinicals. At any rate, I agree that this is concerning in a way and should be addressed accordingly. The point of a school is to house and be there for it's students. No one wants to pay to be mistreated unless you're into that kinda thing...;)

All in all, I'm agreeing that Miller needs to get it's act together on certain things but this knee-jerk reaction isn't necessary. I think it's also worth noting that all schools aren't reviewed on the same 8 year cycle so a school's results can be more pronounced a particular year. If I were betting man, I'd say "monitoring" and "unsatisfactory" ratings are relatively common after these things.

Not an expert in the accreditation process, just a student with $0.02. Hope it adds some clarity.
And yet other schools don't face these issues. Must be bad luck no?

And yet other schools don't face these issues. Must be bad luck no?
We don't know if they do or don't. Schools do not have to disclose Warning status but do have disclose Probationary which is the case of St. Louis U med. You wouldn't have even known about this if a student hadn't posted online. At any rate, I suppose it's nothing that you have to worry about anyway.

In light, I invite all prospective medical students to read up on the LCME accreditation process so you have a more informed understanding of what's going on.

Last edited:
:biglove::soexcited::clap::heckyeah: STATUS CHANGE THIS MORNING!!!!! Submitted on 7/14/17 with a LizzyM Score ~71 (511 MCAT, 3.97 GPA) and got the "You're application has been reviewed" message today 7/23/17 for both MD and MD/MPH! Faster turn-around than expected and couldn't have been happier to make the first boat of people to be considered for II's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
:biglove::soexcited::clap::heckyeah: STATUS CHANGE THIS MORNING!!!!! Submitted on 7/14/17 with a LizzyM Score ~71 (511 MCAT, 3.97 GPA) and got the "You're application has been reviewed" message today 7/23/17 for both MD and MD/MPH! Faster turn-around than expected and couldn't have been happier to make the first boat of people to be considered for II's.

Congrats! Did they email you when there was a status change or did you just randomly check your status and saw it?

Congrats! Did they email you when there was a status change or did you just randomly check your status and saw it?

My status changed as well (submitted like 7/7). I just randomly checked and saw that I had been scored; didn't receive an email or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I just checked my online portal this morning and there it was! :) I was incredibly surprised especially since the status turned over on the weekend and admissions offices only operate during normal business hours. I maxed out at 500 words for each essay, my MCAT wasn't the strongest, and I had a strong feeling my app would probably be in the bottom of the pile and wouldn't be reviewed for a while. People on SDN with higher MCAT scores had longer wait times than me so I expected at least a 2x week turn-around time at the minimum. Especially applying to both MD and MD/MPH, I thought it would take longer for two committees to review my application.

Can you explain this significance of this? Like, if we were reviewed and rejected, would it already say that? How do you know this means we have moved forward in consideration for II?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain this significance of this? Like, if we were reviewed and rejected, would it already say that? How do you know this means we have moved forward in consideration for II?
I think it literally means they've looked at our app lol that's all. IIs start going out in August.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it literally means they've looked at our app lol that's all. IIs start going out in August.

Yeah, that's all that it means. I wouldn't be too excited about it yet lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my app 7/20, but my letters are still showing up as not received yet. Not sure what's going on

Here's the full status on the page: "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March."

Basically, it means they scored your app and II's will be given out based on your priority. The status change doesn't guarantee an II, but just implies that you application has been completely reviewed.

I submitted my app 7/20, but my letters are still showing up as not received yet. Not sure what's going on
Are they submitted on AMCAS? The system just might be lagging the past few days

Yep. I assigned them on AMCAS immediately after submitting my secondary
I would give it another day maybe? I'm not sure who would be better to contact, AMCAS or the school. Probably AMCAS.

I would give it another day maybe? I'm not sure who would be better to contact, AMCAS or the school. Probably AMCAS.

I would think the school. If you sent them through AMCAS, the school just has not assigned the letters to your file. It takes one day to transmit.

I would think the school. If you sent them through AMCAS, the school just has not assigned the letters to your file. It takes one day to transmit.
True ! Didn't think about that :)

Hey guys. I am kind of scared as to whether I have a chance of getting into Miami Miller school of medicine so I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinion. Here are my stats:

OOS
3.37 science gpa
3.34 cumulative gpa
MCAT: Gonna take it in August
2000 hours of volunteering at a clinic ( shadowing 3 doctors)
30 hours of volunteering in two hospitals
CVS Pharmacy technician

Do I have a chance at Miami Miller School of Medicine? What MCAT score should I be aiming for? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys. I am kind of scared as to whether I have a chance of getting into Miami Miller school of medicine so I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinion. Here are my stats:

OOS
3.37 science gpa
3.34 cumulative gpa
CVS Pharmacy technician

Do I have a chance at Miami Miller School of Medicine? What MCAT score should I be aiming for? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
MSAR has median MCAT at 513, 75% 516 and 90% 519
cGPA 10% 3.47
sGPA 10% 3.30

So I'd aim for a 519 or higher so your bottom 10% GPA is offset by a top 90% MCAT *Disclaimer: there's no evidence to back up this logic. I'm making way too many assumptions, i.e., they weight MCAT/GPA the same and that they are even "offsettable"

But no matter what you should be going for as high an MCAT as possible, so aim for a 528. I'm not sure about the emphasis Miami places on volunteering at a clinic but you're strong there. Also, I don't think shadowing is the same as clinical volunteering so I would separate the hours when giving those descriptions- shadowing and clinical volunteering are very important each in there own ways

OOS
3.37 science gpa
3.34 cumulative gpa
CVS Pharmacy technician

I've heard MMSOM has a very holistic review, and they especially weight the secondary essays. I would personally shoot for a 515, but I think you could apply and feel confident with anything over a 508.
***Disclaimer*** I have never and probably will never sit on any medical school admissions committee

I've heard MMSOM has a very holistic review, and they especially weight the secondary essays. I would personally shoot for a 515, but I think you could apply and feel confident with anything over a 508.
***Disclaimer*** I have never and probably will never sit on any medical school admissions committee
agreed

Anyone else not have a secondary yet? I've been verified since June 2nd..

Anyone else not have a secondary yet? I've been verified since June 2nd..

At this point I'd email them. It could have been a technical glitch. I emailed another school's admissions office and got the secondary within an hour!

Did anyone else get another secondary invitation email? I submitted mine last week lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At this point I'd email them. It could have been a technical glitch. I emailed another school's admissions office and got the secondary within an hour!
I haven't gotten a secondary either. How would you suggest phrasing the email? I don't want to sound entitled...

Even though I assigned LOR's to Miami through AMCAS, it is saying "Letters of Recommendation NOT received" in the application status page. Anyone else having the same issue?

Even though I assigned LOR's to Miami through AMCAS, it is saying "Letters of Recommendation NOT received" in the application status page. Anyone else having the same issue?
when did you submit

Submitted the secondary an hour ago. Just emailed admissions to see whats up.
lol it's usually takes a day or two for them to put your LORS into their system. I don't think it's automatic

lol it's usually takes a day or two for them to put your LORS into their system. I don't think it's automatic

That makes sense, I just wanted to be sure so I can be complete and ready for review as soon as possible. Thanks for the help!

Well just realized I screwed up part of my secondary since it didn't copy and paste from word correctly so one of my sentences got cut off -___-. Guess I can kiss this one goodbye.

First round of II's should be sent out sometime next week! It's the year of the rooster, my lucky year. Fingers crossed and good luck everyone! :)

I saw on MSAR it says application review starts Aug 15th, is this not true? I've been sending in my other secondaries before that seem to be reviewing right away

Still haven't gotten a secondary after emailing and calling. The person who picked up was rather confusing, and the email said they would review my application. How long into the cycle will they send secondaries?

Is it saying "We have not received your Letters of Recommendation from AMCAS." for anyone else? I assigned them through AMCAS last week, and no other school has this been an issue with except for Miami. It's also odd that it says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine."

So after writing the "why have you selected UMMSOM for your medical education?" question, this school has become one of my top choices. Would any current students mind quickly reading over my secondary responses? I would really appreciate it!:highfive:

Is it saying "We have not received your Letters of Recommendation from AMCAS." for anyone else? I assigned them through AMCAS last week, and no other school has this been an issue with except for Miami. It's also odd that it says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine."

Here is the response from the Miami Admissions when I wrote to them about this issue: "Your LOR’s on AMCAS are still processing to be attached to your secondary. It should be processed within 24-48 hours."

Here is the response from the Miami Admissions when I wrote to them about this issue: "Your LOR’s on AMCAS are still processing to be attached to your secondary. It should be processed within 24-48 hours."

Alright thanks! Guess I'll just keep waiting then

(This is kind of silly but just wondering...) I have everything submitted for my secondary. When I click "View your Secondary Application" the questions are all highlighted light red, and below my prerequisites there is a thin red horizontal line. This makes me nervous something is wrong, but I'm wondering if everyone else has these weird colors on theirs? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

(This is kind of silly but just wondering...) I have everything submitted for my secondary. When I click "View your Secondary Application" the questions are all highlighted light red, and below my prerequisites there is a thin red horizontal line. This makes me nervous something is wrong, but I'm wondering if everyone else has these weird colors on theirs? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Same thing for me.

I called admissions about not receiving a secondary yet and they said they go through primaries before giving out secondaries... (I've been verified since 6/2). Idk what's going on, hopefully this secondary comes soon.

I called admissions about not receiving a secondary yet and they said they go through primaries before giving out secondaries... (I've been verified since 6/2). Idk what's going on, hopefully this secondary comes soon.
I'm hoping as well.

Well just realized I screwed up part of my secondary since it didn't copy and paste from word correctly so one of my sentences got cut off -___-. Guess I can kiss this one goodbye.
I honestly don't think that it is a deal breaker at all, especially since they have like 8 essays for their secondary application. (unless you did it for multiple essays)
But for exactly that reason, I don't check my secondaries that I've submitted. Theres's nothing that can be done, and I don't want to accidentally find any typos!