2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am actually having some difficulty with the first question about the most significant clinical experiences. Since I talked about that in my AMCAS PS, I feel like I've just hit a literal wall :/ how did people go around this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually having some difficulty with the first question about the most significant clinical experiences. Since I talked about that in my AMCAS PS, I feel like I've just hit a literal wall :/ how did people go around this?

Literally not applying to this university because they put that question in their secondary. unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 user

Is there another experience you can talk about? Or maybe another isolated or more detailed event within the same general experience? It might be worth mentioning, "in addition to xzy that I described in my personal statement, this experience also significantly impacted my choice in medicine."

Learn to dance, folk!

Members don't see this ad :)

Mine was very similar to what I talked about in my PS, just way more in depth. I talked about specific interactions that helped to teach me about the things I said I learned through the experience on my PS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright, the nerves are starting to get to me(already..bad I know..) Anyone think the fact that I got my application scored in 4 days(7/6-7/10) is a bad sign? -__-
Submitted mine on 7/6 too and received the "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" status as you did on 7/11. I don't think it is a bad sign, just means that we were early. Patience is virtue.

Submitted mine on 7/6 too and received the "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" status as you did on 7/11. I don't think it is a bad sign, just means that we were early. Patience is virtue.

Alright, that makes me feel better but you are right it's still too early to start freaking out!

Are all of these secondary essays truly optional? There are some that I can't relate to at all (e.g. sports, travel), so should I still think of something to dig up?

Are all of these secondary essays truly optional? There are some that I can't relate to at all (e.g. sports, travel), so should I still think of something to dig up?

I think it's probably better to leave it blank if you truly can't relate. I would imagine that the adcoms will be able to see through fluff.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there another experience you can talk about? Or maybe another isolated or more detailed event within the same general experience? It might be worth mentioning, "in addition to xzy that I described in my personal statement, this experience also significantly impacted my choice in medicine."

Learn to dance, folk!

Hmm....would it be okay to talk about a patient's story dealing with some issues in our healthcare system that they told me about when I was a patient transport volunteer at a hospital? She happened to need me take her to different wings all over the hospital for like an hour one day so we had a lot of time to talk to help pass the time. I really resonated with her story because my own family went through similar obstacles with my grandfather's cancer when I was much younger (which, I haven't mentioned anywhere at all on my app since it wasn't influential to helping me go into medicine at the time).

Hmm....would it be okay to talk about a patient's story dealing with some issues in our healthcare system that they told me about when I was a patient transport volunteer at a hospital? She happened to need me take her to different wings all over the hospital for like an hour one day so we had a lot of time to talk to help pass the time. I really resonated with her story because my own family went through similar obstacles with my grandfather's cancer when I was much younger (which, I haven't mentioned anywhere at all on my app since it wasn't influential to helping me go into medicine at the time).

that's perfect. No brainer but just make sure to leave out any identifying info

Hey, does anyone else not have a secondary yet? Does anyone know if they screen out people for an institutional action? My stats are pretty high and my primary was complete 6/2, so wondering what's going on here. This is my dream school so that would kind of blow... Hoping I'm just being paranoid.

Hey, does anyone else not have a secondary yet? Does anyone know if they screen out people for an institutional action? My stats are pretty high and my primary was complete 6/2, so wondering what's going on here. This is my dream school so that would kind of blow... Hoping I'm just being paranoid.
I'm in the same position, I also have an institutional action but from last year's thread there are people that got secondaries with IA. I'm getting antsy D:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when they ask to list your clinical experiences and community service/volunteering activities, where should I put hospital volunteering? Do I have to put them in both categories or only in the community service/volunteering section?

also a second question: when they ask us to talk about a clinical experience, do they specifically want a shadowing experience? or is it okay to talk about hospital or nursing home volunteering experiences?

I'm in the same position, I also have an institutional action but from last year's thread there are people that got secondaries with IA. I'm getting antsy D:

I found this on their FAQ if it helps:
Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application?
UM Miller will send Secondary Applications to nearly every applicant who has applied to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to not send a Secondary Application to applicants who have an extremely low GPA or MCAT score, or have an unacceptable criminal record. The University of Miami values diversity and accomplishments applicants have had prior to medical school. For this reason, we do not eliminate applicants solely on failing to have a specific academic metric. If an applicant has low academic metrics, the entire AMCAS application will be reviewed to determine if a Secondary Application will be sent.

I found this on their FAQ if it helps:
Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application?
UM Miller will send Secondary Applications to nearly every applicant who has applied to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to not send a Secondary Application to applicants who have an extremely low GPA or MCAT score, or have an unacceptable criminal record. The University of Miami values diversity and accomplishments applicants have had prior to medical school. For this reason, we do not eliminate applicants solely on failing to have a specific academic metric. If an applicant has low academic metrics, the entire AMCAS application will be reviewed to determine if a Secondary Application will be sent.
Thanks, that's informative. Although I do hope that Miami is forgiving...my IA is really not that egregious in my eyes.

Did anyone else get an email stating their primary was received and UM is considering sending a secondary?

Do we need to write close to 500 words for the essays or is it ok if its less say closer to 300

Reactions: 1 users
I don't have a secondary yet and have an alcohol IA freshman year. I bet they hold those who mark IA and criminal history, screen them for severity, and then send them out in a later batch. Enjoy your essay reprieve my delinquent friends.

submitted.

Attachments

• Blog-2014-Pitbull-Rapper--1200x675.png
    Blog-2014-Pitbull-Rapper--1200x675.png
    341.3 KB · Views: 78

Yes, it says so explicitly in that PDF that came with the secondary.

More FAQs:

I was wondering if you could tell me more about your experience so far? Are you satisfied with the curriculum format? Do you have access to your professors?

I am very satisfied with UM. It's not without its logistical kinks but honestly, no school is perfect. In terms of the curriculum format, because I'm in the MD/MPH, we have three days/week of problem based learning (PBL). You may or may not be familiar but I'll explain it anyway. It's a small group session of about 8-10 folks and we work through a case for the week. This takes the place of formal lecture for that material BUT there are lectures where the material overlaps so there is some degree of reinforcement. The MD traditional track receives additional lectures to cover info that we would have covered in PBL. I personally don't mind PBL though; It feels like you're working on the floors; forces you to think. Formal lectures are really good in general; they're also optional for the most part; they're all recorded. Some information could be streamlined but it's not unbearable. The majority of professors are very accessible; there are a few who are actual practicing physicians so it's a bit more difficult. We had an ENT come in to lecture after an early surgery just to turn around and go right back lol. But the course coordinators actively work with students to improve the courses for future students. In terms of "more hands-on" not sure what you mean, maybe PBL?

Is there early patient exposure?

There's definitely early patient exposure whether by practicing physical exam skills in small groups at the hospital, volunteering at the student-run health clinics, or volunteering at the many health fairs we host. Most of this stuff happens within the first few weeks.

Are you happy with the way they prepared you for the Step exams?

I can't speak to Step yet as I'm just starting my second year but the lowest pass rate we've had is 97% I believe, maybe 98%. As far as the competitiveness of our scores, the only proxy I can offer is our match list which has been pretty good for years, if you want to check that out.

Is the school focused on helping the underserved? What are the volunteering opportunities like? What are the research opportunities like? How is the neighborhood?

UM has a strong mission for helping the underserved. The school is located in one of the most marginalized neighborhoods in the city. The volunteerism is what you make it. There are many opportunities through various student orgs. You can also do your own search. In terms of research, we get emails pretty often trying to recruit medstudents for research. It's all about what interests you. It's also not hard to find faculty, etc. You have to stay on them though until get your foot in the door.

What do you appreciate most about the school's environment? Is there anything else that you feel makes UMiami unique as a medical school?

What I appreciate and what I think sets UM apart is the population that it serves. The intersectionality is crazy. We see pt's that only speak spanish, only speak creole, the poor, the more well-off, and every combination in between. Most upperclassmen that I've spoken to feel very prepared upon going off to residency. Refer to post #8 for more detail.

Also refer to Post #73 for another perspective on same questions.

Last edited:
Commenting to get on this thread! Good luck everybody!

Did anyone else get an email stating their primary was received and UM is considering sending a secondary?
I got that email last week before I got my secondary. It says on their MSAR that they send secondaries to all US Citizens and Permanent Residents, so if you're one of those you should get a secondary eventually.

Just got my secondary this morning. I'm applying to both the MD and MD/MPH tracks. If this doesn't win the award for the longest secondary application I'll receive, then I will be very surprised. Good luck, everyone!

Secondary submitted 7/13/17. Complete 7/14/17. Praying for an II to either the MD or MD/MPH program. My MCAT isn't too great, but keeping my fingers crossed....Just out of curiosity, what did you guys have for your clinical experience and did you write about any adversity in your secondary?

Secondary submitted 7/13/17. Complete 7/14/17. Praying for an II to either the MD or MD/MPH program. My MCAT isn't too great, but keeping my fingers crossed....Just out of curiosity, what did you guys have for your clinical experience and did you write about any adversity in your secondary?

My clinical experience was some clinical volunteering I have done that had a significant influence on my decision to pursue medicine. I did write about some adversity on the Why Miami? question, but only because it relates to why I want to attend the school.

My clinical experience was some clinical volunteering I have done that had a significant influence on my decision to pursue medicine. I did write about some adversity on the Why Miami? question, but only because it relates to why I want to attend the school.

Are you applying disadvantaged?

Not disadvantaged at all, why?

I had some friends write about growing up disadvantaged in rural areas in their "why this school essays" haha. Just out of curiosity, what was your adversity? If you don't care to share....

Last edited:
Actually I did not use the word adversity as to say. It was more of a difficulty. English was not my first language, and I struggled academically and socially throughout my early schooling. I only shared this because it influenced my goals, and what I want to do with medicine.

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting topic to write about. I'm sure you've gone through a lot becoming proficient in English and your stats are a direct manifestation of your success. Overcoming cultural differences and adapting to a new one seem like adversity to me. In my own essays, I mentioned that my Dad had trouble learning English after he came to the US and was jobless. It's kinda related haha.

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting topic to write about. I'm sure you've gone through a lot becoming proficient in English and your stats are a direct manifestation of your success. Overcoming cultural differences and adapting to a new one seem like adversity to me. In my own essays, I mentioned that my Dad had trouble learning English after he came to the US and was jobless. It's kinda related haha.

Yes and no. I was young and I picked up the language when my brain was still very adaptable. Ultimately, I learned a lot through the experience, and I want to use what I learned in caring for my patients.

Yes and no. I was young and I picked up the language when my brain was still very adaptable. Ultimately, I learned a lot through the experience, and I want to use what I learned in caring for my patients.

That sounds pretty cool. Some of my friends in undergrad worked as medical translators despite English being their 2nd language haha. BTW, if you can't tell by my username "Pink Panda," I'm an Asian girl te he he :D

That sounds pretty cool. Some of my friends in undergrad worked as medical translators despite English being their 2nd language haha. BTW, if you can't tell by my username "Pink Panda," I'm an Asian girl te he he :D

That's awesome! I did not make that connection. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, since this app cycle is just stressful.

That's awesome! I did not make that connection. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, since this app cycle is just stressful.

Haha okay. I'm just trying to get through all these secondaries. I'm a pretty lazy person and they're killing me!

I submitted mine on 7/5 and have the following status "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." I have a solid GPA but MCAT is on slightly the lower end (LizzyM ~68.5) so not sure if I will have a shot despite applying early?

Hey guys, I'm a non-traditional student. Is it worth applying here if I don't have 3 LORs from faculty? I really like this school but the LOR Requirements seem strict. I don't want to wast $40 + secondary fee. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm a non-traditional student. Is it worth applying here if I don't have 3 LORs from faculty? I really like this school but the LOR Requirements seem strict. I don't want to wast $40 + secondary fee. Thanks!

Call and ask tomorrow. A lot of schools are lenient with nontrads and allow advisor/employer letters in stead of their requirements, so they may as well!