2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Re-reading my secondary responses, I just realized my patient contact experience essay could have been re-worded better to make it flow easier and sound better. Has anyone of you guys (especially accepted students) who submitted a secondary here realized that things could have been written better? Not sure how inconsequential this issue is or if I'm just being paranoid. I still got my point across....what do you yall think?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted mine on 7/5 and have the following status "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." I have a solid GPA but MCAT is on slightly the lower end (LizzyM ~68.5) so not sure if I will have a shot despite applying early?

Ok this happens every year and I want to start telling y'all now: don't try to to decode the messages that come out of the portal. For some completely unknown reason sometimes status wording will change, it'll tell you you were reviewed, scored, etc. but none of that matters. Often people get scored and it doesn't show up in the portal as well(happened to me), so don't worry if it doesn't say you've been scored yet. The only concrete message to wait for is an II.

Also 68.5 is not the end of the world...that was my LizzyM too! UM highly values intangibles over stats :)

Re-reading my secondary responses, I just realized my patient contact experience essay could have been re-worded better to make it flow easier and sound better. Has anyone of you guys (especially accepted students) who submitted a secondary here realized that things could have been written better? Not sure how inconsequential this issue is or if I'm just being paranoid. I still got my point across....what do you yall think?

If you need to change the info because it was inaccurate then yea send an update. But if you just think it could've been written a little better that's nbd. Remember that UM gets >8500 complete apps, and have to read them all within a few months. They're not combing through every essay with a fine tooth comb. Also many readers are physicians who care much more about content than style.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Knife & Gun Club,

Just out of curiosity since you are an accepted student

1. Did you apply to MD or MD/MPH or both?
2. When did you submit your secondary and get an II
3. What were some of the unique ec's/experiences you had in your app?

Thanks,

PP

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Status updated to 'file has been reviewed' this morning :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Knife & Gun Club,

Just out of curiosity since you are an accepted student

1. Did you apply to MD or MD/MPH or both?
2. When did you submit your secondary and get an II
3. What were some of the unique ec's/experiences you had in your app?

Thanks,

PP

1) I did. My app was very clearly more research than public health focused (I sort of half assed the mph app) though, so I was only given an II for MD.

2) I submitted my secondary July 1st and got my II in mid September (I think). I interviewed in early November, got WL in December, then came off in April.

3) I'll pm you specifics (happy to do that for anyone else who's curious too) because I'd rather not be publicly identifiable. Not that UM would care, but other students would probably laugh at me for using SDN lol. Most of my uniqueness though came from my LORS and backstory though. ECs and MCAT were solid, GPA was trash, and I was raised in Florida (although I wasn't living there when I applied).

It's safe to say UM is very interested in students "intangibles". If they think you'll be a good fit for the class bad stats can be overcome.

What is your GPA and MCAT score?

FYI apps are sent to scorers in the order they're received. There's no pre-read sorting by metrics that I know of. Readers can take a variable amount of time to review the app though, so the order they're marked as "scored" on the portal can vary. Also sometimes the portal won't update with the scored/reviewed status at all, which happened to me. Long story short, don't try to decode your or others the portal messages...you'll drive yourself insane.

Got a secondary last week Wednesday, and submitted it sunday. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Hope that going to the shrine and praying to my ancestors in China last summer earns me an II. If that doesn't work, might hire a spell caster to cook me up some magic mushrooms.

I'm Asian and superstitious yall tehehe.

Reactions: 1 user
How is everyone approaching the optional essays at the end? Are you only listing the ways you've been involved in, say, the fine arts? Or if your diversity essay was about some aspect of the fine arts, have you considered modifying it for the Miami prompt? I'm trying to decide whether I want to just list all the fine art stuff I've been doing over the years or make it more like a story. I'm getting a bit burnt out with these prompts, so any help would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone approaching the optional essays at the end? Are you only listing the ways you've been involved in, say, the fine arts? Or if your diversity essay was about some aspect of the fine arts, have you considered modifying it for the Miami prompt? I'm trying to decide whether I want to just list all the fine art stuff I've been doing over the years or make it more like a story. I'm getting a bit burnt out with these prompts, so any help would be awesome.

For the sports and fine arts ones, I just talked about playing soccer up until college and playing/teaching piano. I developed upon my favorite teams/composers and ended it with which values each activity taught me. Both prompts came out to like 2 paragraphs.

For the last one (idr what the prompt was) I just had a short line saying 'besides sports and music, I also like reading. x is my favorite genre and this y is my favorite book.'

It says in the PDF not to include anything for the optional prompts unless it will get them to know you better. I wrote like 3/5 of them since I felt like I truly had something to add.

It says in the PDF not to include anything for the optional prompts unless it will get them to know you better. I wrote like 3/5 of them since I felt like I truly had something to add.

The only prompt I don't really have anything to write about is student organizations as I've been out of school for 15 years and I can't remember what I was involved in! However, I ended up working for one student organization, so I guess I should talk about that.

I actually have extensive responses for the other prompts. I've been involved in the fine arts for years, very involved in sports, Had an EPIC cross-country travel experience and am very involved in hobbies. I'm just not sure exactly how we're supposed to write about these. Story telling? Listing? Straight-forward explaining? I just don't have a feel for how to start (except with my epic cross-country trip. that's easy to talk about).

The only prompt I don't really have anything to write about is student organizations as I've been out of school for 15 years and I can't remember what I was involved in! However, I ended up working for one student organization, so I guess I should talk about that.

I actually have extensive responses for the other prompts. I've been involved in the fine arts for years, very involved in sports, Had an EPIC cross-country travel experience and am very involved in hobbies. I'm just not sure exactly how we're supposed to write about these. Story telling? Listing? Straight-forward explaining? I just don't have a feel for how to start (except with my epic cross-country trip. that's easy to talk about).

I was straight to the point with it. Just say what you did, when, what your roles were, and what you learned. Not too long. A lot of the more learned members on here say to skip optional essays because they add extra time to the review process, so if you are planning to add something that will help them learn about you, make it succinct.

I was straight to the point with it. Just say what you did, when, what your roles were, and what you learned. Not too long. A lot of the more learned members on here say to skip optional essays because they add extra time to the review process, so if you are planning to add something that will help them learn about you, make it succinct.
Perfect, thanks! This makes total sense. Although I may embellish on the trip. Really, it was amazing.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the application? I filled it out and clicked "preview." But I cannot locate any button to submit.

how can i apply to both MD and MD/MPH??
I believe you can log in and then choose which program you want to apply to (e.g. MD-only). I believe there is an option for both MD and MD/MPH unless I am mistaken.

Does anyone know if Miami yield protects for in state applicants?

Oh yeah I just assumed you were in-state and asking, its good for the rest of us!

No I meant it would be good for high-stat in state applicants right? Sorry idk if I phrased my question correctly. By yield protect for in state applicants I meant if you're in state and have high stats will they not invite for interview?

No I meant it would be good for high-stat in state applicants right? Sorry idk if I phrased my question correctly. By yield protect for in state applicants I meant if you're in state and have high stats will they not invite for interview?
From my understanding, they no longer give favor to in-state applicants whatsoever. So if you have competitive stats nationally, yes it would be an advantage. But if you have high stats in comparison to Miami's old average, not necessarily. (This is just my take)

I've heard that Florida has cut funding for all medical schools, which is going to make it more difficult for Florida applicants in general. I don't know if this will help high-stat in-state applicants or not. It's always a crap shoot. I had a friend get into Duke, get waitlisted at UF, and then outright rejected at USF. Reversed story with a different friend who was in at Duke, wait-listed at USF, then rejected at UF. I'm putting my FL-resident hopes in private schools outside the state at this point and hoping for the best.

Do you have an IA? That's probably why, apparently people with IA's don't get it till they go through everyone else's secondaries first.

Nope.

Although there is a screening process for IAs that's not how it works.

My status just changed to "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April)." II's might be coming soon!

My status just changed to "Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April)." II's might be coming soon!

Yup, IIs start releasing on Aug 1st according to last year's thread!

2 more weeks of agony haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When were you complete? Did you apply both MD and MD/MPH?

Last edited by a moderator:
When were you complete? Did you apply both MD and MD/MPH?
My primary was verified 6/8/17, and my secondary was complete on 7/5/17.

Edit: I only applied MD, did not apply to MD/PhD or MD/MPH

Last edited:
It is true that if you apply MD/MPH, it takes longer to be scored? Does the school send your app simultaneously to the two committees or is your app passed along only after your evaluation by the preceding committee?

It is true that if you apply MD/MPH, it takes longer to be scored? Does the school send your app simultaneously to the two committees or is your app passed along only after your evaluation by the preceding committee?

Both my MD and MD/MPH have been scored. Status change occurred on the same day too. But from what I understand, they are independent from one another.

Finally slew this beast, best of luck to everyone.

Good lord I cannot bring myself to complete this secondary. It's so long :arghh:

Good lord I cannot bring myself to complete this secondary. It's so long :arghh:

I finally got everything but the Why Us question completed. I really want to get this out by Saturday

My essays combined for both MD and MD/MPH were 13 pages single-spaced all 500 words each. This secondary really was a beast. Kudos for yall for submitting!

Hey guys, can you comment on this @teeayejay @The Knife & Gun Club and any other current Miller students?

Saw that UM Miller had 6 unsatisfactory areas and 8 that they need to monitor, including student mistreatment and building/equipment insufficiency. This school is my top choice. Should this concern Miller applicants or is this common?

Thanks for the feedback!

upload_2017-7-21_14-47-30.png

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, can you comment on this @teeayejay @The Knife & Gun Club and any other current Miller students?

Saw that UM Miller had 6 unsatisfactory areas and 8 that they need to monitor, including student mistreatment and building/equipment insufficiency. This school is my top choice. Should this concern Miller applicants or is this common?

Thanks for the feedback!

View attachment 221671

That aint' stopping me from applying here! Te he he. The beach makes up for it :p

@CaptainSword1

So I'm personally not concerned and I'll tell you why.

LCME comes every 8 years to re-accredit which is obviously a very necessary process to ensure adequate training and environment for students. With that said, medical education and it's workings are in a constant ebb and flow. I don't think there's any institution that operates at optimum capacity at all times in terms of LCME metrics. What were once the goals for improvement over one 8-yr cycle might completely change the following cycle. While trying to improve deficiencies from the previous cycle, I think it's reasonable to expect that other things may decline a bit when LCME comes back 8 years later.

Some areas that garnered an unsatisfactory rating were things like "sufficiency of buildings and equipment" and "comparability of education/assessment" between the different medical degree programs which were already being looked into prior to evaluation. It's not like admin is sitting on their hands despite what others will have you think and students still perform very well.

In terms of student mistreatment. I've never experienced it in the pre-clinical environment, haven't heard any horror stories, and can't yet speak to it in terms of clinicals. At any rate, I agree that this is concerning in a way and should be addressed accordingly. The point of a school is to house and be there for it's students. No one wants to pay to be mistreated unless you're into that kinda thing...;)

All in all, I'm agreeing that Miller needs to get it's act together on certain things but this knee-jerk reaction isn't necessary. I think it's also worth noting that all schools aren't reviewed on the same 8 year cycle so a school's results can be more pronounced a particular year. If I were betting man, I'd say "monitoring" and "unsatisfactory" ratings are relatively common after these things.

Not an expert in the accreditation process, just a student with $0.02. Hope it adds some clarity.