2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After 2 weeks of waiting, it finally shows my letters are uploaded. I have no idea if my email to admissions mattered since they never responded, but it's being shown as complete 1-2 days after I emailed them. So yea

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After 2 weeks of waiting, it finally shows my letters are uploaded. I have no idea if my email to admissions mattered since they never responded, but it's being shown as complete 1-2 days after I emailed them. So yea
+1

I hate that the secondary talks about student organizations and not professional organizations. Do you guys think it would be out of line to talk about the professional organization I joined while I was a student, that I'm still a member of today? It's an organization for my work specialty. I have two specialty certifications through this organization, which I feel is worth mentioning.

I feel like real life accomplishments should be way more important than student accomplishments, but I don't know if I'll just look obnoxious answering the question this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate that the secondary talks about student organizations and not professional organizations. Do you guys think it would be out of line to talk about the professional organization I joined while I was a student, that I'm still a member of today? It's an organization for my work specialty. I have two specialty certifications through this organization, which I feel is worth mentioning.

I feel like real life accomplishments should be way more important than student accomplishments, but I don't know if I'll just look obnoxious answering the question this way.

I haven't submitted my application, yet, so I'm interested in what you do. It's difficult for those of us who graduated a long time ago. I can't remember what I did in college...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think they just want to know your involvement in an organization that was meaningful and important to you. I would however, make it clear that you started the organization when you were a student and continued to be involved since then.

It's an optional essay. Totally fine not writing it if you don't have anything meaningful to write. It straight up says that on the PDF they send you.

Checking in here! Submitted and marked complete on 7/23. Miller is my top choice, so hoping for some love! :) Good luck, y'all!

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone post the MD/MPH secondary prompts, please?

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why UMMSM?

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

[OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

MPH Specific:

Please provide any public health experience.

Please describe how you envision you would use the public health training provided in the joint MD/MPH in your future career as a physician.

Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program?

All of them are 500 words. Last question might have been 250 words though.

Goodluck!

is anybody else having trouble accessing the secondary application? i entered my amcas id and birth date info, but i can't get in....

For the purpose of the first essay does volunteering in a hospital count as clinical experience? I haven't really had any earth-shattering experiences shadowing so it feels kinda lame to write about those...

For the purpose of the first essay does volunteering in a hospital count as clinical experience? I haven't really had any earth-shattering experiences shadowing so it feels kinda lame to write about those...

Yes - for sure. I used my shadowing only because I shadowed the same doctor over three months and became somewhat more involved in the practice. I also had an interesting volunteering experience, but my other shadowing experiences would not have worked for this prompt.

I just randomly checked my portal, and it says I have been invited for an II and should have received an email but never did? Does anyone have the same issue? I also applied to the MD-MPH program if that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just randomly checked my portal, and it says I have been invited for an II and should have received an email but never did? Does anyone have the same issue? I also applied to the MD-MPH program if that helps!

Can you screen shot the image so I can see what it looks like? Just curious because my status never said I got an II.

Anyone else get an II yet? I thought II's aren't given out until August 15th.

Yup! I'm just confused and not sure to be happy or not if it's a fluke. o_O

Okay posted what was on my portal!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 2.02.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 2.02.05 PM.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: 6 users

Did you ever get the 'app has been reviewed' status first?

EDIT: I remember when I interviewed 2 years ago I had to schedule through the portal and had never received a notification email so I didn't even know I had an II waiting. So may be legit!

Did you ever get the 'app has been reviewed' status first?

EDIT: I remember when I interviewed 2 years ago I had to schedule through the portal and had never received a notification email so I didn't even know I had an II waiting. So may be legit!

Not sure! I literally only checked today for the first time after submitting my app. I'm planning to call them tomorrow though. The earliest interview date seems to be mid-Sept but you can rank your four top choices!

Last edited:
Yup! I'm just confused and not sure to be happy or not if it's a fluke. o_O

Okay posted what was on my portal!

I have heard of similar things happening in the past. Usually not flukes. Hope it's good news!!

Not sure! I literally only checked today for the first time after submitting my app. I'm planning to call them tomorrow though. The earliest interview date is mid-Sept it seems but you can rank your four top choices!

Sounds real to me, I had to do the same when I interviewed in 2015. Congrats!

Sounds real to me, I had to do the same when I interviewed in 2015. Congrats!

Thank you!! Super stoked :) Good luck to you all too, and I would just keep checking the portal!

Hang tight :) it's still really early

When did you get an II last time you applied? I'm so sad I can't even eat or exercise. My life is in absolute ruins. Got out of an abusive relationship in college and did not get into medical school. Watched as classmates achieve success in life, move forward, and get engaged. My life feels like a series of unfortunate events. I'm pretty sure I'm cursed :( But thanks for the comfort anyways.

When did you get an II last time you applied? I'm so sad I can't even eat or exercise. My life is in absolute ruins. Got out of an abusive relationship in college and did not get into medical school. Watched as classmates achieve success in life, move forward, and get engaged. My life feels like a series of unfortunate events. I'm pretty sure I'm cursed :( But thanks for the comfort anyways.

End of August, and interviewed in October. Only II that year, didn't prepare and completely botched it :\ wasn't surprised I never got an offer.

I'm sure you'll be successful! The majority of my friends are all nearing the end of medical school now and as stressful as it can be to think about sometimes, I try to compare myself to me 5 years from now rather than where others are in life. You're making progress towards your goals which is all that matters :)

End of August, and interviewed in October. Only II that year, didn't prepare and completely botched it :\ wasn't surprised I never got an offer.

I'm sure you'll be successful! The majority of my friends are all nearing the end of medical school now and as stressful as it can be to think about sometimes, I try to compare myself to me 5 years from now rather than where others are in life. You're making progress towards your goals which is all that matters :)

What are you stats now? GPA + MCAT?

Yo literally one person has got an interview (per this thread obvi there a prob some more)...but there are literally hundreds of spots left! A ton of people are sitting with no II rn (including myself) you just have to trust in the process. Until October, there's really no reason to be seriously worrying if you submitted in July imo

Well, at least I got scored :unsure: Now they're just going down the priority list based on your evaluation committee score. My MCAT isn't the strongest so go figure. I planned a vacation to Miami over Labor Day weekend. If I can't go here for school, at least I will know what it would be like :(

Well, at least I got scored :unsure: Now they're just going down the priority list based on your evaluation committee score. My MCAT isn't the strongest so go figure. I planned a vacation to Miami over Labor Day weekend. If I can't go here for school, at least I will know what it would be like :(
I need you to take a deep breath for me lol

Thanks for your kind words everyone. I really appreciate your efforts to go out of your way to comfort me. I know that if I do end up going here, I will have some really amazing classmates for support :rolleyes:. And good luck to everyone else. All of you guys worked just as hard as me to get to where we are today. Told my mom about my disappointment today, but she still dragged me to the swimming pool and slapped me with a noodle until I got into the water tehehe :p

Thanks for your kind words everyone. I really appreciate your efforts to go out of your way to comfort me. I know that if I do end up going here, I will have some really amazing classmates for support :rolleyes:. And good luck to everyone else here. All of you guys worked just as hard as me to get to where we are today. Told my mom about my disappointment today, but she still dragged me to the swimming pool and slapped me with a noodle until I got into the water tehehe :p

Come on. This does not even make sense. One person posted about getting in an interview. He/she did not even get an email. For all you know there could be more tomorrow or next week.

When you were scored, did you receive an email or did you just happen to come across the message when checking your portal?

To those freaking out about not getting an interview, I'm not even scored and I've been complete since early July.

We got this fam, gotta stay positive. Can't lose hope :rofl:

Reactions: 5 users
To those freaking out about not getting an interview, I'm not even scored and I've been complete since early July.

We got this fam, gotta stay positive. Can't lose hope :rofl:

Time to hire a spellcaster :p

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, a new user here with some questions. I've already submitted secondary a few weeks ago and am now considering applying for the MD/MPH program.

1. Is it too late in the cycle that my combined degree application won't be read by the adcom?
2. Will this submission have any beneficial or detrimental effect on my regular MD decision?
3. If I do end up applying for MD/MPH, should I go back to AMCAS and change the selection of program from "Regular MD" to "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate"?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Anyone else wake up to an II or status for an II on their portal this morning? I thought II's don't even go out until August 15th according to MSAR. What is going on?

Anyone else wake up to an II or status for an II on their portal this morning? I thought II's don't even go out until August 15th according to MSAR. What is going on?
Chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you'll get an II or you won't in due time. Let them do their thing, it's a long process.

Reactions: 8 users
Chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you'll get an II or you won't in due time. Let them do their thing, it's a long process.

I just read this in the voice of Mike Armentrout from Breaking Bad and it made it so much better

No.

I know other's have told you this already, but it's important at this time, and throughout the cycle to practice patience and manage expectations. Miami, and all schools, assess applications and make decisions on timelines that are as different as the candidates they're reviewing. Additionally, they're not bound by what's in the MSAR and can deviate as they wish. I'm not sure how the interview invitation data is populated, but it's most likely filled in by a single admissions representative, maybe the office manager, prior to the yearly MSAR update in the spring. Much can change in a matter of 3 months.

The bigger point here is that you should have ZERO expectations to get accepted to Miami or any other school you applied to. With every school accepting less than 10% of applicants, your chance anywhere specifically is quite low. I'll be the first to say that I'd absolutely love to go to Miami - I grew up in the area, I'd be close to my parents, and I'd be near close friends...and the weather. But - I understand that it is likely I won't get in there.

/dailylesson

Reactions: 13 users
No.

I know other's have told you this already, but it's important at this time, and throughout the cycle to practice patience and manage expectations. Miami, and all schools, assess applications and make decisions on timelines that are as different as the candidates they're reviewing. Additionally, they're not bound by what's in the MSAR and can deviate as they wish. I'm not sure how the interview invitation data is populated, but it's most likely filled in by a single admissions representative, maybe the office manager, prior to the yearly MSAR update in the spring. Much can change in a matter of 3 months.

The bigger point here is that you should have ZERO expectations to get accepted to Miami or any other school you applied to. With every school accepting less than 10% of applicants, your chance anywhere specifically is quite low. I'll be the first to say that I'd absolutely love to go to Miami - I grew up in the area, I'd be close to my parents, and I'd be near close friends...and the weather. But - I understand that it is likely I won't get in there.

/dailylesson

Also maybe try and not check any portals for a few days- every school says they will email you immediately so maybe not checking portals 5x a day will help you calm down and just rely on email

Reactions: 2 users
No.

/dailylesson
Mic drop