2021-2022 Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone out there who applied MD-MBA, got into the MBA program but hasn't heard from the MD office? I interviewed back in October and no update yet from the MD office. Wondering if acceptance to the MBA program means anything for the MD component, too.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone remember what they said about applying to a dual degree program later if you were admitted to MD only?

Is there anyone out there who applied MD-MBA, got into the MBA program but hasn't heard from the MD office? I interviewed back in October and no update yet from the MD office. Wondering if acceptance to the MBA program means anything for the MD component, too.
Did you interview for the MD program in October? If not, the acceptance to the MBA program means absolutely nothing for MD. If you interviewed MD in October, you should probably reach out to them and see what's going on.

In general though, MBA admissions at a school like Miami are not competitive at all, so no, being accepted to the MBA program means nothing. If the MBA program was a viable back door into the med school, you can rest assured a ton of people would be doing it.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an acceptance email today with no call, interviewed in January and was waitlisted in Feb

okay I have read and re-read this acceptance email and I can't tell if we wait until we get the letter in the mail to accept our seat or if we are supposed to email someone!? My portal didn't change at all!

Did you interview for the MD program in October? If not, the acceptance to the MBA program means absolutely nothing for MD. If you interviewed MD in October, you should probably reach out to them and see what's going on.

In general though, MBA admissions at a school like Miami are not competitive at all, so no, being accepted to the MBA program means nothing. If the MBA program was a viable back door into the med school, you can rest assured a ton of people would be doing it.
I interviewed for MD back in October. The MBA interview was December and got accepted in Janudy. I applied to the dual degree program. I reached out a couple of times a few weeks apart and kept getting the same “4-6 weeks” general answer… even though it’s been way more than that since my interview.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
what email did you guys use for thank you notes? not that it matters much at this point, but just curious if mine ever made it to the interviewers

I interviewed for MD back in October. The MBA interview was December and got accepted in Janudy. I applied to the dual degree program. I reached out a couple of times a few weeks apart and kept getting the same “4-6 weeks” general answer… even though it’s been way more than that since my interview.
That's crazy. It's now the end of March!! I'd definitely keep reaching out to them until I got an answer if I were you. Given what other people are posting, it's entirely possible that you have an A and nobody bothered to tell you. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
okay I have read and re-read this acceptance email and I can't tell if we wait until we get the letter in the mail to accept our seat or if we are supposed to email someone!? My portal didn't change at all!
I emailed them! I just replied to the acceptance email

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after they replied to the acceptance email?

Does anyone have any information on places to live in Miami/Brickell? Doesn't seem like there is much info on what to do after acceptance

Does anyone know how long it takes for financial aid packages to be sent out?

Does anyone know if lectures are recorded at Miami and if so is watching online lectures instead of physicially attending class everyday common? Im probs going to have a commute to the school and want to minimize my driving.

Does anyone know if lectures are recorded at Miami and if so is watching online lectures instead of physicially attending class everyday common? Im probs going to have a commute to the school and want to minimize my driving.
they said they’re recorded but most lectures have required attendance

if you have to commute to the school i feel so bad because it might be one of the worst commutes possible. try to get as close as you can

Anyone hear anything about merit scholarships here recently?

I would say in general yes. Email Dr. Weisman especially if you are trying to match aid from another school and many people are successful with that. It really depends on how much they have left to give and does vary by year.
what if i havent recieved aid (in the form of scholarships) from any other school :shrug:

Current MS2 at Miami, would be happy to answer some questions
Hello! I posted this question some time ago and it seems none of the current students ever saw it. Would you mind sharing your thoughts, please?

Hello! To the M2s at Miller (maybe even M1s?), can you give us a little insight and review on how the new curriculum is going? I read a little about it and have a few questions.
-I read it was mostly just mandatory PBL, are there no lectures at all? Recorded lectures?
-How does the curriculum make you feel about Step 1? I know it's p/f, but do you feel like the curriculum is preparing you for when you have to study on your own? Also, how long is dedicated?
-What's the general consensus on this new curriculum? Do your fellow classmates like it?
-What's the best part about it? The worst part?
-Now that it has been a whole year since your app cycle, has UM been all you hoped it would be?
Thank you!!

I checked my portal today and noticed that I received an II but never received an email... has this happened to anyone else? I'm assuming the interview cycle is over?
Sure seems like it on April 4th, but, if you have any interest at all, why are you asking here rather than calling the school and explaining the situation?

• Okay...
On interview day, they said they're changing the curriculum to where 10% of the ranking will be from the pre-clinical years now whereas before none of the ranking was from the clinical years. Can anyone confirm if they are still doing this and if the ranking will still be? This is probably the biggest turn-off for me and may be one of the reasons if I decide to come to the school or not. I don't get why they would change it.

On interview day, they said they're changing the curriculum to where 10% of the ranking will be from the pre-clinical years now whereas before none of the ranking was from the clinical years. Can anyone confirm if they are still doing this and if the ranking will still be? This is probably the biggest turn-off for me and may be one of the reasons if I decide to come to the school or not. I don't get why they would change it.
i think I remember them saying 20 pre clerkship 70 for clerkship and 10 for the last year

Yeah, I remember it being 20% as well
Wow this really sucks and is a huge turn off, it's going to make things way more competitive and less collaborative. Most M1s I've even talked to said they enjoyed not being ranked.

Hi, everyone! I was just placed on the alternate list this morning. I heard that emailing Dean Weissman might help give me a rough idea of my chances of admission. Is that true? Is there anything wrong with emailing Dean Weissman the day I was put on an alternate list?

I was already accepted to UTMB in Galveston, TX but classes start July 7th there and I would like to know where I am going ASAP for planning purposes. Thanks in advance!

Got Alt list email this morning. Does everyone get an alternate email even if they are accepted later that day? I missed a call from a Miami area code with no VM and when calling back its a generic voice mail box and was curious if i should be expecting a call or just come to terms with waitlist/Alt list status.

Hi, everyone! I was just placed on the alternate list this morning. I heard that emailing Dean Weissman might help give me a rough idea of my chances of admission. Is that true? Is there anything wrong with emailing Dean Weissman the day I was put on an alternate list?

I was already accepted to UTMB in Galveston, TX but classes start July 7th there and I would like to know where I am going ASAP for planning purposes. Thanks in advance!
I emailed asking about rough chances and didnt get anything super insightful.

n=1

Haven't heard anything since my secondary. Safe to assume they'll be sending rejection emails soon? Still says "application under review" on my portal.

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't heard anything since my secondary. Safe to assume they'll be sending rejection emails soon? Still says "application under review" on my portal.
Given their level of communication since submitting your secondary, why would you assume that?

Just look at the last few posts on last year's thread. You very well might never hear anything at all, and your application might still be "under review" if you apply to Miami for a residency in 4 years. :cool:

Hey. This may not mean much and it is not meant to really influence your decision as to medical schools at all, but to give you a perspective of my impression at this school and what I feel like are the best things to think about when choosing a medical school in retrospect. I have no stakes in the game.

When I was an MS1-MS2 our pre-clinical ranking (and most medical schools at that time - being that USMLE Step 1 was scored and meant a lot) was ranked equal to our clinical ranking and I honestly felt that we did not have a noticeably competitive environment between my class at all!

Your class will for sure have a different experience than mine both inside and outside of UM with the overall changes to medical education which I cannot speak with 100% certainty (as literally nobody knows what that will look like). But 10% in class ranking (which will be used to place students in quartiles in most schools) is really really likely going to be trivial.

I would seriously focus on cost/financial aid, location/support system, and availability of rotations with home residency programs at the school in most fields as more important factors.

After interviewing in October and literally not hearing a single thing (ie I never heard if I was an alternate or not), I got an acceptance call this morning. If anyone is in the same situation hang in there. Decisions should be coming out this week.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
After several months of waiting I got the call this morning! I did send a letter of intent maybe a month or two ago but holy poo did not expect it

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
congrats yall! what an amazing way to start the day!

For those of you accepted on/around 3/23, have you received the formal acceptance letter + additional information sent out through snail mail yet?

confused how I haven't heard anything at all since I was complete in July, not even a Pre-II R. Do we think my app was just completely forgotten?

Reactions: 8 users