2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a couple of IAs and a misdemeanor, but I still received a secondary. I'm sure you all will be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't think that it is a deal breaker at all, especially since they have like 8 essays for their secondary application. (unless you did it for multiple essays)
But for exactly that reason, I don't check my secondaries that I've submitted. Theres's nothing that can be done, and I don't want to accidentally find any typos!

Hopefully not! Normally I wouldn't have checked, but I was looking at it to see what I could use for another school's secondary application

I honestly believe this is the longest application I have ever filled out. Even longer than Duke's. It's like I keep finishing sections and new ones appear.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyones secondary not show letters as received? Mine were submitted in June and every other school I have applied to they show up in their portal. I checked on AMCAS and I have them assigned here. I might contact admissions, didn't know if there was a delay tho since I just submitted my secondary a few minutes ago.

Does anyones secondary not show letters as received? Mine were submitted in June and every other school I have applied to they show up in their portal. I checked on AMCAS and I have them assigned here. I might contact admissions, didn't know if there was a delay tho since I just submitted my secondary a few minutes ago.

Yea I'm having this problem too. Glad I'm not the only one.

Yea I'm having this problem too. Glad I'm not the only one.

IDK if by chance you applied to Tufts too, but their system said my letter didn't arrive at all, but once I submitted the secondary it showed up as received so maybe its something similar. If nothing pops up soon I'll prob contact them tomorrow and report any info!

IDK if by chance you applied to Tufts too, but their system said my letter didn't arrive at all, but once I submitted the secondary it showed up as received so maybe its something similar. If nothing pops up soon I'll prob contact them tomorrow and report any info!

Yea some schools that happened for me too, but Miami is acutally submitted and it's still showing as not received. I called them last week (since I assigned my letters 7/20) and they said I should contact AMCAS to make sure they got sent (which I don't know why they wouldn't have gotten sent)

II's for this school may be given out any day this upcoming week. Anyone of you guys have II's anywhere else?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II panic has already set in for me. Tomorrow's August, the month where II's officially start being given out. Really hope wearing red panties these past few months brings me good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
II panic has already set in for me. Tomorrow's August, the month where II's officially start being given out. Really hope wearing red panties these past few months brings me good luck.
Does this work for guys too?

Reactions: 5 users
You guys haven't been wearing red panties this whole time?! Hm... I'd try the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, I'm an incoming MS1 at UM (orientation starts next week ), so I can't answer any questions about my experience as a student (yet), but just wanted to wish you all luck with your app cycles! Hope to see you all around campus during your interviews!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
It's finally August...sending out good vibes to everyone!! Come on Miami, we got this! :xf::luck:

Reactions: 3 users
Yea some schools that happened for me too, but Miami is acutally submitted and it's still showing as not received. I called them last week (since I assigned my letters 7/20) and they said I should contact AMCAS to make sure they got sent (which I don't know why they wouldn't have gotten sent)

Did you ever find out why? I just emailed them, my AMCAS letters were assigned in late June and my app wasnt verified until July 25th or so so they received my app relatively recently, but every other school received my letters and it shows up as assigned in AMCAS

If I haven't gotten a secondary after emailing and calling should I try again?

Its been about a week since I've submitted the secondary and my LORs are still not marked as received. They told me it would take 24-48 hours after submission to have them received. Anyone else having this issue?

Does anyone know if they want grade updates or any other updates?

Its been about a week since I've submitted the secondary and my LORs are still not marked as received. They told me it would take 24-48 hours after submission to have them received. Anyone else having this issue?

Mine has said this since Sunday, I emailed them before and they said its still being processed so thats why nothing shows up, no idea when it'll go away tho

How rigorous is their secondary screen?
Pre-secondary screen? They say on their website that all US citizens and permanent residents receive a secondary. So if you're one of those you should receive one.

Pre-secondary screen? They say on their website that all US citizens and permanent residents receive a secondary. So if you're one of those you should receive one.
I'm thinking they mean pre-II screen maybe? Or at least I'm wondering that :bookworm:

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know anything about how strict the prereqs are? I've yet to see another school that requires 2 quarters of biochemistry, and after calling and being told to e-mail and then being told to call again, I'm wondering whether anyone has ever been able to substitute in like an extra ochem, bioengineering, etc. class.

Yea same here, except mine has been 2 weeks. I sent them an email this morning to follow up so we'll see

When was your AAMC verified and when did AAMC get your LOR? Because I submitted the secondary on 7/24/17 and my app has been marked as complete a few days after that.

When was your AAMC verified and when did AAMC get your LOR? Because I submitted the secondary on 7/24/17 and my app has been marked as complete a few days after that.
Mine still shows not received, I was verified 7/21 submitted 7/30, letter in Amcas 6/24

I was Verified from AMCAS on 6/15 and LORs were in to AAMCAS on 6/13. I submitted and paid the secondary on 7/24 (Took forever for this one... :( ... lol). So idk, its weird tho.

Does anyone know anything about how strict the prereqs are? I've yet to see another school that requires 2 quarters of biochemistry, and after calling and being told to e-mail and then being told to call again, I'm wondering whether anyone has ever been able to substitute in like an extra ochem, bioengineering, etc. class.
According to M.D. Prerequisites Courses 2017-2018 - Miller School of Medicine Admissions it's either 1 semester or 2 quarters. As far as I am aware, as long as you have taken the regular semester (15-16 weeks) biochemistry course, the prerequisite should be fulfilled. Quarters last about 10-11 weeks (typically a winter or summer session). This is just assumption, so I would recommend you to keep calling/emailing until you receive a concrete answer.

Holy cow, this secondary was brutal. Submitted today!! Good luck everyone and wear your red panties!:D

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT but no ties to state

If I haven't gotten a secondary after emailing and calling should I try again?
Dude I called and emailed, they just said they are flooded right now and going through primaries. I think they just put all IA's in a separate pile and look at it towards the mid-cycle like in September, then decide who of those to give secondaries too. This is a BAD school to apply to with an IA, I just wish I realized before prewriting this...

Dude I called and emailed, they just said they are flooded right now and going through primaries. I think they just put all IA's in a separate pile and look at it towards the mid-cycle like in September, then decide who of those to give secondaries too. This is a BAD school to apply to with an IA, I just wish I realized before prewriting this...
Dumb question but what's an IA

Aw man, I wish they had explained that when I called. I guess prewriting the secondary did help me with a bunch of my other ones so that's a plus

According to M.D. Prerequisites Courses 2017-2018 - Miller School of Medicine Admissions it's either 1 semester or 2 quarters. As far as I am aware, as long as you have taken the regular semester (15-16 weeks) biochemistry course, the prerequisite should be fulfilled. Quarters last about 10-11 weeks (typically a winter or summer session). This is just assumption, so I would recommend you to keep calling/emailing until you receive a concrete answer.

Thanks for the tip. Just missing that single quarter of biochemistry (already took one quarter of it, thought that would fulfill the requirement for most schools). Already finished up the secondary too, so it would be a bummer if they were super strict about it. E-mailing and calling them back and forth is like pulling teeth though.

First week of August goes by without a hint of a II being given out. It seems like they're a bit delayed this year....

First week of August goes by without a hint of a II being given out. It seems like they're a bit delayed this year....
According to MSAR, Interview Invites are not sent out until August 15th.

Reactions: 3 users