2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone add me to the fb group please

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew yesterday w/ scholarship. Hope it goes to one of you guys!:)

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current md mph students explain the move to palm beach county a littler better? Do we not have the opportunity to train at Jackson memorial anymore ? That is such a good hospital and I would hate to lose a chance to train there

So you have to do internal med, surgery, family, psych, peds, and obgyn in palm beach/broward county during 3rd year. During 4th year, you're required to do emergency, neuro, and 2 weeks of public health up north as well. Many people move back to Miami during 4th year and tough out the commute for the requireds during 4th year or they try to crash with 3rds years or swap homes for a couple weeks if there are any 4th years who decided to stay up north.

The honest truth is that while Jackson is great, my understanding is that you're not given the same autonomy and teaching that you get up north. Not to say that you won't get a good training at Jackson bc that would be completely not true but up north, you work more closely with attendings in some places and there are less student learners that you're fighting to get procedures from.

I'd say moving up north really helped me learn the bread and butter medicine. You can't diagnose a zebra without reliably knowing what a horse looks like. When you go back down during 4th year, it'll make the experience richer.

But again, I may be biased. Would love to hear from the MDs as I could be wrong but I don't regret it. I've heard things down south can get a little cut-throat.

Either way, students from both programs leave Miller very well-prepared for residency.

---------------
@mflf you can also PM. Rising senior in the dual degree

Members don't see this ad :)
So you have to do internal med, surgery, family, psych, peds, and obgyn in palm beach/broward county during 3rd year. During 4th year, you're required to do emergency, neuro, and 2 weeks of public health up north as well. Many people move back to Miami during 4th year and tough out the commute for the requireds during 4th year or they try to crash with 3rds years or swap homes for a couple weeks if there are any 4th years who decided to stay up north.

The honest truth is that while Jackson is great, my understanding is that you're not given the same autonomy and teaching that you get up north. Not to say that you won't get a good training at Jackson bc that would be completely not true but up north, you work more closely with attendings in some places and there are less student learners that you're fighting to get procedures from.

I'd say moving up north really helped me learn the bread and butter medicine. You can't diagnose a zebra without reliably knowing what a horse looks like. When you go back down during 4th year, it'll make the experience richer.

But again, I may be biased. Would love to hear from the MDs as I could be wrong but I don't regret it. I've heard things down south can get a little cut-throat.

Either way, students from both programs leave Miller very well-prepared for residency.

---------------
You don’t think that going up north lowers the level of intense cases you see ? Just curious bc I heard that somewhere

---------------
Also just curious do they have living arranged for you since it’s far away from the campus

You don’t think that going up north lowers the level of intense cases you see ? Just curious bc I heard that somewhere

Intense cases in terms of what? Because we're so far north, you'll see some amazing pathology. The super-duper rare stuff will in fact go down to Miami many times but you have another year to move down and see that stuff. I personally just don't see the point when you're still trying to learn the basics anyway and likely won't remember it well enough other than to say you saw it briefly. Now that I've been doing this for 3 years, I've learned that it' just not helpful. Cool? Sure. But it makes up less than 1% of what you'll continuously see in practice.

Also just curious do they have living arranged for you since it’s far away from the campus

And they do not have living arranged just as they don't have living arranged on the main campus but the upperclassmen are good about communicating with the sophomores about the process.

Reactions: 1 user
I JUST GOT THE CALL, GONNA BE A CANE!

Reactions: 9 users
who is still waiting with a response from the dean about your chances ?

did anyone follow up with him?

who is still waiting with a response from the dean about your chances ?

did anyone follow up with him?
Yea, I emailed last week and got "pretty good", although nothing after that. I am tempted to ask again since I also got off another waitlsit recently.

Also emailed and got “good” but haven’t heard anything since then
you guys think he said "good" to everyone? Seems like everyone on this thread seemed to get good or very good. No one really got a "no" or "make other plans" lol. I hope he wasn't kidding.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys think he said "good" to everyone? Seems like everyone on this thread seemed to get good or very good. No one really got a "no" or "make other plans" lol. I hope he wasn't kidding.

I was waiting on someone to beam back down to earth lol

Yea, I just figured he would be honest. According to the other posters and past threads, he seems to be honest in saying that you should find other option or straight up telling you that they don't expect waitlist movement. Idk I guess, all we can do is wait and see.

He told me "We will know much more after next Wednesday how many we will be accepting from the alternate list." which I'm taking as not great but also not terrible. But like he said, just gotta wait and see.

so youre saying he wasnt being genuine?

i saw on other threads he used to advise people that their chances werent good. so idk if he stopped doing that then

He told me "We will know much more after next Wednesday how many we will be accepting from the alternate list." which I'm taking as not great but also not terrible. But like he said, just gotta wait and see.

when did he say this to you if you dont mind me asking

so youre saying he wasnt being genuine?

i saw on other threads he used to advise people that their chances werent good. so idk if he stopped doing that then

Not saying he's not genuine but when you have tens, if not hundreds of people emailing you on a regular basis, who has time to go back and look at each specific application and where they are in the grand scheme of the process. It's very well possible that in a general sense, most people fair well enough and are basically all in the same pool of probability.

I just don't think it's realistic to ask where you stand and expect the response to be super personalized - again, no one on adcom is paid to strictly be on adcom. Theses folks have many other obligations. I suppose it doesn't hurt but I'd plan for the worst and let the process play itself out.

As a non-traditional student, believe me, I understand the anxiety.

How much mandatory attendance and PBL has Miller historically had?

I emailed about two weeks ago, and dean said I had a pretty good chance/will know closer to April 30th. My question is would it be too much to email again to ask since I still haven’t heard back...?

Can I accept my position in the MD/MPH program without committing? I would just have to commit by May 13th right?

Can I accept my position in the MD/MPH program without committing? I would just have to commit by May 13th right?
Yup! Though if you already have an A, you have to drop it and “Plan to Enroll” to Miller.

The letter I got said we had to pay deposit by May 15th.

Has anyone submitted their transcripts? If so did you do it electronically?

Did you email them to confirm if they have it?
Well a check-mark appeared on my secondary portal after a few days of ordering it. The secondary portal has a bunch of pre-matriculating steps already so that's how I saw it

Current M1, if anyone has any questions about either program feel free to PM me :)

Well a check-mark appeared on my secondary portal after a few days of ordering it. The secondary portal has a bunch of pre-matriculating steps already so that's how I saw it

The school is lax about these requirements and will let you work on them the first several weeks after the semester begins, but I'd start ticking them off as soon as you can, particularly the vaccinations (some boosters have a multi week schedule)

Does anyone know the last day we have to commit and withdraw from other waitlists for Miami?

How much mandatory attendance and PBL has Miller historically had?

Historically, PBL is ~3x/week, year-round for MD/MPH, years 1 and 2. MD typically only like 1 week of pbl in between 6/7/8 week modules. Withthe new change to curriculum that's supposed to take effect for c/o 2023, who knows what's going to happen lol.

Does anyone know the last day we have to commit and withdraw from other waitlists for Miami?
More specifically does anyone know the last day we have to commit and withdraw from other waitlists for MD/MPH at Miami?

Where did you get that info? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Someone posted it (might be a few pages back) and OP got the info by emailing Dr. Weisman. I know for sure that Miller requires we commit 6 weeks before the first day of classes (says on MSAR and somewhere on the school website)

Is there any place I can find the 1st year's schedule of classes including the schedule for MD/MPH summer that starts in June? Thanks so much!

Edit: Wondering about a weekly schedule with hours and specific classes.

Edit: This is the schedule now but you can't see 1st semester or most of 2nd semester. Wish I could see it.
MD/MPH Schedules | University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine ----can navigate to MD from here too

Last edited:
Is there any place I can find the 1st year's schedule of classes including the schedule for MD/MPH summer that starts in June? Thanks so much!

Here are the dates if that helps! I can't find the full class schedule though, but I would also be interested to see it.

Anyone hear of more movement or gotten any updates from Weisman? Been pretty silent since Thursday

Anyone know how to get added to the Facebook page?

Anyone know how to get added to the Facebook page?
I emailed admissions they gave me the email of two people I could contact and ask them to add me. They told me to add them on FB and they added me to the group

Does anyone know if MPH classes are pass/fail or graded?

MD/MPH Schedules | University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine ----can navigate to MD from here too
Summer was a little annoying as every public health course had mandatory attendance and ran from like either 9 or 10-3 or 4 minus a day per week. You start having 8 am pbl's 3x per week in fall and that extends to the end of the year. I'm not sure how anatomy will work for you but we had one 4 hour chunk every other week on a non-pbl day starting at 9am, which extend till march. That leaves 1 day off on anatomy on weeks and 2 days off on anatomy off weeks, but like I said that may vary with the curriculum changes.

Does anyone know if MPH classes are pass/fail or graded?

Graded, but do not count in your rankings
Not sure if that changes with the p/f implementation

Graded, but do not count in your rankings
Not sure if that changes with the p/f implementation

At my recent interview, the MPH people said that they do not plan to move the MPH courses to p/f. However, they suggested that residency directors either did not see the MPH grades because the degree is not complete yet (?) or did not really care about them.