2017-2018 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else have to wait a long time for their payment to be processed? Mine took 26 days (yes I counted)...the portal says it should take 7-10 :/
I had that same problem last cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone interviewed here that might be able to shed some light on their interview day?

Thanks in advance!!

yes, i emailed them and they said they had a staff member out for awhile and everything had been pushed back. after emailing them, it was processed within a couple days. i would suggest shooting them a quick email even though its nothing to worry about.
Thank you! I saw that it was eventually processed but I was freaking out a little because it took so long to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed here that might be able to shed some light on their interview day?

Thanks in advance!!
Great interview day - relaxed, not a cutthroat environment, big emphasis on fit (both us finding out and them). I will 100% go here if accepted - feels like a big, happy family.

8:30-9am Main room where everyone starts has coffee/water/juice - intro presentation by dean of admissions.

9am-11:30am Rotations of two-30 minute interviews (i had 1 retired physician - very conversational, and 1 current MD/PhD student - more rigid, questions on paper. Closed file - only see your PS, Secondary, Activities). When not in Interview, presentation on financial aid and the curriculum.

11:30am-12:30pm Everyone comes back and few short presentations about the Co Springs branch, current student experience, and current resident experience.

12:30-1:30pm Lunch with current 1st & 2nd yr students followed by informal student panel to answer questions without faculty around.

1:30pm-2:30pm Campus tour with current student.

Happy to answer other questions in message!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, have you all been mainly answering Part C (the re-app question) based on if you are a re-applicant overall or just at this school in particular? This is my first time applying here, but I was unsure if talking about my journey since my last application cycle years ago would be appropriate here, even though I did not apply to them back then.

EDIT: Just realized I already asked this question back in July when I got the secondary. I'm slack apparently :p

Last edited:
Hey, have you all been mainly answering Part C (the re-app question) based on if you are a re-applicant overall or just at this school in particular? This is my first time applying here, but I was unsure if talking about my journey since my last application cycle years ago would be appropriate here, even though I did not apply to them back then.

I can't remember the exact verbiage of the question but I seem to recall it asking generally if you have applied to med school before, not just if you have applied to CUSOM before. I would answer it since you applied even if it was years ago. It's a great opportunity to highlight your persistence and growth regardless.

I can't remember the exact verbiage of the question but I seem to recall it asking generally if you have applied to med school before, not just if you have applied to CUSOM before. I would answer it since you applied even if it was years ago. It's a great opportunity to highlight your persistence and growth regardless.

That's what I thought. Thanks

I am considering applying here. Would anyone be able to provide some info as far as if it may be too late to submit an application to thus school and if they consider graduate gpa at all?

I am considering applying here. Would anyone be able to provide some info as far as if it may be too late to submit an application to thus school and if they consider graduate gpa at all?

I know that they consider all of your coursework. I don’t think anyone here can tell you if it’s too late. If you are committed to applying this cycle then I would submit. Applying late just puts your app at a bit of a disadvantage in an already competitive process. That said, I’m sure there a few folks that were accepted last year that were complete in October.

Can anyone who interviewed in the 2017-2018 cycle confirm whether it is two one on one interviews (as the website says) or whether it's MMI (as said on MSAR)? Let me know, and thanks so much in advance.

Can anyone who interviewed in the 2017-2018 cycle confirm whether it is two one on one interviews (as the website says) or whether it's MMI (as said on MSAR)? Let me know, and thanks so much in advance.
Two one-on-one interviews.

They are traditional interviews

II earlier this week! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope :/ but I'm also OOS and don't have extremely competitive stats
OOS shouldn't matter for MD/PhD!
Nope :/ but I'm also OOS and don't have extremely competitive stats

EDIT: nothing reported from CU on this thread either

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I saw there was silence on the II thread so I figured they probably hadn't sent any out yet. Got neurotic enough to check out last year's thread, looks like they sent some out on 9/29 last year so I would imagine the first round should come out soon.

Have any CU MD/PhD applicants heard anything?
Nada. I don’t expect anything from my application (OOS, low GPA, not the most competitive with research...) but they haven’t even narrowed down an interview weekend if their website is correct.

How have I never come across this calendar before o_O
the calendar is for md/phd interviews only (i believe the second look days and the same for both md+md/phd applicants though) and mentioned most prominently on the md/phd threads that don't actually reside in this part of the pre-md forum. they're in the research/physician scientist category. :)

II! First one of the cycle and to my dream school! 512 MCAT, 3.96 gpa, OOS (MT)

Reactions: 6 users
II as well! Complete around mid-July I think.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!! And first II, woo hoo! I'm trying to get a handle on where they are in their app pile. Do you mind sharing when you submitted or were verified as complete (i.e. payment submitted)?
So I submitted my payment on August 6th, but I am pretty sure they waited until my new MCAT score came in which would have been August 29th I believe. But I could be wrong on that. Also for just general info, they offered me one day (November 17th) with an option to request a different day!

Thanks! I might be up for deliberation in the next week or two... keep your fingers crossed for me lol.
Im not sure how much they go in order of time when you submitted. I'm instate, complete since mid July and my stats are good - 516, 3.8. Yet, nothing from them yet. Maybe I just tell myself they don't go in order of time to console myself too. :)
Congrats to those with II today!

II today! Does anyone know the stats for OOS who interview here? (WA state)
EDIT: Found the answer above. (37% OOS interview->accepted)

Will it hurt if I don't have connections to Colorado as an OOS? I really like the program.

Last edited:
Im not sure how much they go in order of time when you submitted. I'm instate, complete since mid July and my stats are good - 516, 3.8. Yet, nothing from them yet. Maybe I just tell myself they don't go in order of time to console myself too. :)
Congrats to those with II today!

I'm right where you are! Submitted mid July, almost identical stats, in-state, attempting to patiently wait :)

For those who have already interviewed, is there an informal dinner the night before? I haven't seen anything about one online but wanted to make sure as I make flight arrangements!

For those who have already interviewed, is there an informal dinner the night before? I haven't seen anything about one online but wanted to make sure as I make flight arrangements!

Last year there was a get together the night before the interview but I was not able to make it so I can't comment on what it entails.

They have a non-evaluative, informal social put together by a group of students at the hotel across the street from school. No issues if you can't go but it's a good time to hang out with other interviewees and ask questions to current students. Just some light snacks so don't plan for it to be your dinner.

They have a non-evaluative, informal social put together by a group of students at the hotel across the street from school. No issues if you can't go but it's a good time to hang out with other interviewees and ask questions to current students. Just some light snacks so don't plan for it to be your dinner.
Do you know what time it is at? Thank you!

If you have applied for a stay at student housing on the night before the interview, how long does the medical school take to respond back to you?

Will Colorado accept additional LOR after secondary? I've heard elsewhere that they do not accept application updates, but wondering if it's different through AMCAS letter service.

They accepted my MCAT retake after my secondary was in/payment posted because it was pending in AMCAS... I'd call admissions to ask since that seems like a bit of a grey area.

II this morning, just now found it because it was in my junk mail. OOS (Ga) URM with pretty average stats. Complete 8/5 and totally did not expect an interview from here so I'm thrilled. They gave me an interview like a week from today which is just impossible coming from Georgia with a full-time job so I'm requesting another date, hope that doesn't get viewed negatively on their end!

Reactions: 6 users
II this morning! IS, complete 8/3. CU is my dream school so hopefully, the second time is the charm!

Reactions: 9 users
II just now! I'm so shocked, as I have few ties to Colorado, but I'm excited! I was complete on 8/25.

Reactions: 8 users
Do you know when they have it? How did you hear about it?

are they giving out decisions on October 16th for September Interviews? I forgot what they said at the end of the interview day

II today!! IS Lizzy M 66.5. This is the one I've been waiting for!! Complete 7/19. Hoping for love from my home!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted this afternoon! Interviewed 09/29. Overjoyed, ecstatic, and still in disbelief. If it's any consolation to anyone, this is my fourth application cycle so try, try, and try again if it's what you really want.

Reactions: 17 users
Accepted this afternoon! Interviewed 09/29. Overjoyed, ecstatic, and still in disbelief. If it's any consolation to anyone, this is my fourth application cycle so try, try, and try again if it's what you really want.

Congrats!! I admire your desire and drive.

Hi! I know CU doesn't accept updates, but does anyone know if they are receptive to in the area emails?

Congrats!! Was it via call or email?