2020-2021 Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received the leadership scholarship, grateful for the award but is not significant at all as OOS.

Withdrew my acceptance. Beat of luck y’all, especially those in the waitlist!
were you notified of the scholarship via email?

Members don't see this ad.

do we think the scholarships will ever open up again? I was accepted after that last interview cycle and didn’t have time to apply before they closed

Hi y'all, just got an email from admissions saying I was in the top tier for the alternate list! Hopefully that means good news is coming soon :xf:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email saying I'm in the top priority category for the waitlist!

Question. Is statistics a requirement for CU? I'm reading the website and it says "A basic understanding of statistics or biostatistics is required to comprehend the quantitative aspects of medicine and biomedical research." I have never taken a statistics course and I'm a little worried about this (if I do get off the waitlist)

Reactions: 2 users
In previous years when did people get off the middle tier? Not feeling super great about my chances

Reactions: 1 user
"Candidates for admission may be selected at any time from today through the week of orientation (July 23, 2021)"
*turns up phone ringer to max volume for the next 3 months* 😭

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao got lower third IS. Will be withdrawing since I have offers elsewhere.

Yeah follow-up question: is admissions off of a waitlist also notified via phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to double post, but I think my original may get buried. My MSAR expired and I don't really want to pay $28 again. Can anyone tell me if MSAR says statistics is a required prereq? Their website is kind of unclear.

Sorry to double post, but I think my original may get buried. My MSAR expired and I don't really want to pay $28 again. Can anyone tell me if MSAR says statistics is a required prereq? Their website is kind of unclear.
To my knowledge, CU does not have firm course requirements. MSAR also says that there are no required courses.

To my knowledge, CU does not have firm course requirements. MSAR also says that there are no required courses.
Thank you for your reply! Their website is definitely unclear and I do not see any specific course requirements. They do say "A basic understanding of statistics or biostatistics is required to comprehend the quantitative aspects of medicine and biomedical research" which makes me a little worried since I haven't formally taken a course. I'll send them an email.

The thought of taking an accelerated 1 month M-F stats course in June (instead of road tripping) makes me a little sad tbh

Bottom 1/3rd time to say goodbye to my dream school :,(

• Care
I got the email! Top 1/3! I have never been so grateful. I do not have any acceptances right now and I’m on two waitlists where Colorado is my #1. I was just getting ready to apply for my third time. Does anyone have any statistics of how many top 1/3 actually get the A?

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
I got the email! Top 1/3! I have never been so grateful. I do not have any acceptances right now and I’m on two waitlists where Colorado is my #1. I was just getting ready to apply for my third time. Does anyone have any statistics of how many top 1/3 actually get the A?
Based on my email (middle tier) they often accept from the middle tier, so that leads me to believe your chances are good.

Thank you for your reply! Their website is definitely unclear and I do not see any specific course requirements. They do say "A basic understanding of statistics or biostatistics is required to comprehend the quantitative aspects of medicine and biomedical research" which makes me a little worried since I haven't formally taken a course. I'll send them an email.

The thought of taking an accelerated 1 month M-F stats course in June (instead of road tripping) makes me a little sad tbh
Oof now I'm concerned. I didn't really notice before that their website says that we should be able to demonstrate an understanding of genetics and human physiology. I didn't take either of those classes. Should I scramble to get them in over the summer or should I assume I meet their requirements since they know what classes I've taken/am taking? Guess I'll email them as well.

Bottom 1/3
Wish they wouldn’t even have told me this..

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Oof now I'm concerned. I didn't really notice before that their website says that we should be able to demonstrate an understanding of genetics and human physiology. I didn't take either of those classes. Should I scramble to get them in over the summer or should I assume I meet their requirements since they know what classes I've taken/am taking? Guess I'll email them as well.
I did not take A and P and was admitted. I did take genetics.

I saw someone in last year's thread post that almost everyone on the 2019-2020 thread who was top 1/3 did eventually get in? Again, these are just the people who post on SDN and WL movement may be different this year.

• Care
Also it's interestin
It's definitely unclear. They list these requirements, but don't specify courses you need to take. I emailed them and I'm waiting to hear back.

It's interesting that they released the alternate list tiers roughly 2 weeks earlier than normal. I wonder if we can expect more wait-list movement (and earlier movement) because of this?

• Care
Also it's interestin

It's definitely unclear. They list these requirements, but don't specify courses you need to take. I emailed them and I'm waiting to hear back.
i feel like just taking the mcat demonstrates these competencies. Basic genetics is also covered in general bio so you don't need specific classes

i feel like just taking the mcat demonstrates these competencies. Basic genetics is also covered in general bio so you don't need specific classes
You are absolutely right! I just received an email back stating that "A formal genetics and physiology course are not required. Covering the topics in your previous courses is sufficient."

Just got a call... “we’ve been trying to reach you about your car’s extended warranty.”

Heart is still racing LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
It's interesting that they released the alternate list tiers roughly 2 weeks earlier than normal. I wonder if we can expect more wait-list movement (and earlier movement) because of this?
Gosh I hope so

Anyone know the likelihood in previous years of the middle 1/3rd of the WL getting accepted?

Is there zero chance for scholarships if you are admitted late off of the waitlist?

Can someone explain the waitlist tiers and the process involved . I wish the school could be more clear and not keep people, who are obviously good enough to be part of the entering class, guessing and wondering about their prospects.

If anyone on the WL is sitting on a USUHS A I'll trade ya

Can someone explain the waitlist tiers and the process involved . I wish the school could be more clear and not keep people, who are obviously good enough to be part of the entering class, guessing and wondering about their prospects.
My understanding is that once WL movement starts, CU accepts systematically down the tiers. So they'll start with the top 1/3 tier, and once all those people have been offered an acceptance, then they'll move down to the middle tier, and so on and so forth.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!

My understanding is that once WL movement starts, CU accepts systematically down the tiers. So they'll start with the top 1/3 tier, and once all those people have been offered an acceptance, then they'll move down to the middle tier, and so on and so forth.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!
Sounds about right to me!

Do you guys think that WL movement would even start before May? They sent the email earlier than they have in past years but idk if that actually means anything?

I hope so. In the email they said we could hear anytime from the day of the email until July 23rd. With the April 15th and April 30th dates coming up, I hope waitlist movement could start even a little earlier.

Reactions: 4 users
I also wonder how many waitlisted applicants get accepted each year and how many people are on the waitlist

I also wonder how many waitlisted applicants get accepted each year and how many people are on the waitlist
I looked online at their admission tracker which was updated March 31 and at that point they had interviewed 686 and accepted 317. I know they reject people after interviews so maybe like 200 people on the waitlist? Idk lol I'm just scrambling haha

I looked online at their admission tracker which was updated March 31 and at that point they had interviewed 686 and accepted 317. I know they reject people after interviews so maybe like 200 people on the waitlist? Idk lol I'm just scrambling haha
I know and I checked the WL spreadsheet that AAMC posts about each school, showing how many students are on the WL and how many offers are typically made. CU just wrote "varies" lol.

I wish I had an idea of how many admissions offers they sent out at this point in time during previous cycles. 317 seems like so many for only 184 seats.

That number, 317, does make me a little nervous lol

I wish I had an idea of how many admissions offers they sent out at this point in time during previous cycles. 317 seems like so many for only 184 seats.
Remember, there is always going to be waitlist movement as people try to decide the best place to go for medical school. Colorado is recognized as a mid-tier and it's only been this year that they were able to pierce T30 rankings for USNEWS. Furthermore, OOS tuition is high so that might convince some students to abandon their acceptance for a different school.

Remember, there is always going to be waitlist movement as people try to decide the best place to go for medical school. Colorado is recognized as a mid-tier and it's only been this year that they were able to pierce T30 rankings for USNEWS. Furthermore, OOS tuition is high so that might convince some students to abandon their acceptance for a different school.
I hope so, but my worry is that because the cycle gets more competitive each year, I wonder how many people actually have multiple acceptances to choose from. With CU having given out 317 offers for ~180 seats, that means that 137+ people have to turn down their offers. I really hope that WL movement still happens but I'm kind of nervous about it, as I'm sure others are.

I hope so, but my worry is that because the cycle gets more competitive each year, I wonder how many people actually have multiple acceptances to choose from. With CU having given out 317 offers for ~180 seats, that means that 137+ people have to turn down their offers. I really hope that WL movement still happens but I'm kind of nervous about it, as I'm sure others are.
Looking back on past threads it seems like CU always gives out around 300 acceptances by this point so I would think WL movement will be similar to past years. Hopefully we know more in the next few weeks!

Looking back on past threads it seems like CU always gives out around 300 acceptances by this point so I would think WL movement will be similar to past years. Hopefully we know more in the next few weeks!
Hopefully yes! :)

Let’s keep remaining positive! Like someone said before, maybe they are expecting more waitlist movement/earlier movement with the earlier release of the tiers.

• Love
This is normal as previous years ~300 and waitlist still moved. And remember, it’s not like they are going to wait until exactly 137 people to decline before sending more offers! They are also going to expect some of the waitlisted to decline. So realistically they may try to keep the acceptance letters much above 180 to be on the safe side.