2018-2019 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First-tier waitlist as well. My only other acceptance is the University of Arizona. If I get the acceptance, which do I choose?!

It would normally be Colorado for sure, but cost of living is way more expensive and my significantly other is a PA (they get paid pennies in Colorado for some reason).

Reactions: 1 user
I think given the cost of attending (if you're OOS it's not unheard of to graduate with 400k of debt) and the personal situation, UAZ would probably be a better option. Regardless, good luck on the decision! Good options all around :).
My tuition is being paid for either way, I just have to worry about the cost of living expenses.

Denver and Aurora are fairly expensive towns, are they worth the extra cash?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there are any Asian student groups such as APAMSA at CUSOM?

First-tier waitlist as well. My only other acceptance is the University of Arizona. If I get the acceptance, which do I choose?!

It would normally be Colorado for sure, but cost of living is way more expensive and my significantly other is a PA (they get paid pennies in Colorado for some reason).

I think both the med schools are gonna prepare you for success equally. AZ historically has a competitive match list and roughly equal board scores to CU. Go the cheaper route. Plus AZ has that fireee weather. I unfortunately got rejected from AZ but that was my #1 choice.

Has anyone clicked through the Accepted Students page and logged into Canvas? I get an error when I click it but I’m not sure if it’s because it’s setup incorrectly or not setup yet for the 2023 class.

Regarding living in Aurora/Denver: I'm planning a trip in a few weeks to check out the area and make my final decision. I'm trying to find neighborhoods that I might like to live in. So far, Stapleton and Highland stand out as potentially cool areas.

Does anyone have any other suggested neighborhoods to check out? Is Highland too far to realistically commute?

Regarding living in Aurora/Denver: I'm planning a trip in a few weeks to check out the area and make my final decision. I'm trying to find neighborhoods that I might like to live in. So far, Stapleton and Highland stand out as potentially cool areas.

Does anyone have any other suggested neighborhoods to check out? Is Highland too far to realistically commute?

I've lived in CO my whole life. TBH there's a few nice complexes surrounding the campus but the campus is kind of in a ****ty area of Aurora otherwise. Aurora has plenty of great places to live, just not as much near campus. If you want to live in Denver and be close to both campus and downtown check out neighborhoods along Colfax (Capital Hill, Stapleton, Montclair, Congress Park). Colfax gives you a straight shot to campus and easy access to downtown. Highlands is definitely a popular area but I personally wouldn't live there cus it is really far, e.g. with traffic could be looking at a 40-50 minute commute to school.

Reactions: 2 users
I've lived in CO my whole life. TBH there's a few nice complexes surrounding the campus but the campus is kind of in a ****ty area of Aurora otherwise. Aurora has plenty of great places to live, just not as much near campus. If you want to live in Denver and be close to both campus and downtown check out neighborhoods along Colfax (Capital Hill, Stapleton, Montclair, Congress Park). Colfax gives you a straight shot to campus and easy access to downtown. Highlands is definitely a popular area but I personally wouldn't live there cus it is really far, e.g. with traffic could be looking at a 40-50 minute commute to school.
Incredibly helpful information, thank you very, very much.

I personally would never consider living in the Highlands with the commute -- traffic here is unpredictable and intense. I agree with @DaveRam about areas off of Colfax, and I would add Lowry, Park Hill, and City Park to his list of suggestions. I live in Lowry and it's a short commute to campus, there's some decent restaurants and breweries nearby, and my rent is reasonable; I share a very large 2bed/2bath with another CU grad student and we pay $1800 total/$900 each.

Top priority WL +1 (boyfriend). He didn't get the email since he recently updated his and I guess the email change wasn't successful, but his portal was updated! Check your portals people!

So is the fact that they say “you have a high probability of receiving an offer” in the high priority waitlist email messing with anyone else? Would that be in the email if they didn’t think there would be much waitlist movement?

• Sad
So is the fact that they say “you have a high probability of receiving an offer” in the high priority waitlist email messing with anyone else? Would that be in the email if they didn’t think there would be much waitlist movement?

Based on the past few months of speculation within this thread, it was expected that high priority people would have a high probability of acceptance. I don't see any reason why this should mess with our heads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to think they only included that because they really do think you will receive an offer. If there was little to no movement, I'm not sure they would word it the way they did. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, so I have a prereq deficiency that needs to be cleared (3 credit hours of college math left). Does anyone know if I can just take like an easy online community college algebra course? Has anyone else done online courses for prereqs through a community college? Definitely not trying to go back to my undergrad school and take calc 2 or anything

I personally would never consider living in the Highlands with the commute -- traffic here is unpredictable and intense. I agree with @DaveRam about areas off of Colfax, and I would add Lowry, Park Hill, and City Park to his list of suggestions. I live in Lowry and it's a short commute to campus, there's some decent restaurants and breweries nearby, and my rent is reasonable; I share a very large 2bed/2bath with another CU grad student and we pay $1800 total/$900 each.
Restaurants, breweries, short commute and rent at only $1800 for a 2 bedroom?!

That's my heaven. Thank you!

Hey all, I'm thinking of buying a new laptop/tablet but I'm not sure what would be most ideal.
Down for any suggestions!
I was thinking of Microsoft surface 6, but apparently the USMLE test doesn't run on that? I currently have a macbook pro and I love it, but I thought being able to write on the screen might be game changing.
Thanks!

thanks - super useful info. any thoughts on the commute from RiNo? same as Highlands, or better?

thanks - super useful info. any thoughts on the commute from RiNo? same as Highlands, or better?

I think RiNo is slightly better than the Highlands since you can take side streets the whole way and avoid the freeway. I commute to RiNo once a week from campus during rush hour and it's about 35-40 mins, vs. 45-50 to the Highlands.

WL peeps tomorrow is the day things start going in motion for us! Get excited! Or worried.. or nervous...

Withdrew acceptance a few days ago (OOS). Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

What are my chances of getting in with mid-tier WL?
I have no idea what your chances are, but I do know it's possible (albeit more stressful). I know someone who wasn't even at the top of the 2nd tier last year and he got an acceptance. That being said, he got it about 2 weeks before the first day of class.

He also sent in an a letter of intent. I have no idea if that actually helped, but I don't think it could hurt.

I have no idea what your chances are, but I do know it's possible (albeit more stressful). I know someone who wasn't even at the top of the 2nd tier last year and he got an acceptance. That being said, he got it about 2 weeks before the first day of class.

He also sent in an a letter of intent. I have no idea if that actually helped, but I don't think it could hurt.

Just wondering, how did he know his ranking within the 2nd tier? I plan to submit a letter of intent soon, thanks for the input.

Are they now taking Letters of Intent? I emailed them back in March asking if they were accepting LOI's and they responded that they don't. Anyone know if they do now?

Are they now taking Letters of Intent? I emailed them back in March asking if they were accepting LOI's and they responded that they don't. Anyone know if they do now?
Your information is more up-to-date than mine, I was talking about last year.

So maybe call/email before taking the time to write a LOI, Equilibrant.

Anyone talked to adcom about when we can expect WL movement?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, so I have a prereq deficiency that needs to be cleared (3 credit hours of college math left). Does anyone know if I can just take like an easy online community college algebra course? Has anyone else done online courses for prereqs through a community college? Definitely not trying to go back to my undergrad school and take calc 2 or anything
I do not see why not. They say on their website that they accept community college courses.

I have a friend who let me know that she was accepted from the top-tier waitlist today, so it seems like some movement has started. I am hoping there is a lot more movement to come for everyone waiting!

Does anyone have any idea of how many people are on the waitlist?

Does anyone have any insight on when CUSOM has waitlist movement, and when I should assume that there’s not gonna be any more?

Out of curiosity, for people who were recently accepted off the top-tier waitlist: are you IS or OOS?
Congratulations by the way!

Does anyone know the CTE deadline for Colorado?

Does anyone know the CTE deadline for Colorado?
I do not know what their exact CTE deadline is, but what I saw on other forums (mainly Waitlist support thread :) it is around 21 days before orientation. However, the schools that will see a lot of movement around this time are already sensing that-they are sending emails, communicating about candidates' continuing interest, etc. In my opinion, Colorado has done a pretty good job with their offers, and it seems that they won't be in this situation where they cannot fill the class. If you are like me and this is your only hope, you should continue working on your application, and start the new application. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist, and remember we will all make it at some point :)

Are you saying you don’t think there will be much more movement here? Or that we shouldn’t obviously bank on more movement?

Are you saying you don’t think there will be much more movement here? Or that we shouldn’t obviously bank on more movement?
I don't have any information on this, outside of my own research from previous threads. I'm getting a little bit concerned with the silence and the fact that they usually fill the class with less than 360 offers (which would be twice their class size). It is a great school, and I understand why people make it their first choice. So, yes, we shouldn't bank on more or significant movement, and if it happens we will make a celebration thread on sdn.

I think if you are in the top-tier wait list, there's a good chance you will receive an acceptance call. This is based on previous threads, students' testimony, and even their own e-mail wording. Although it could be anytime from now until week before classes start in August, difficult to predict the timing since we do not know specifically our wait list position.

I think if you are in the top-tier wait list, there's a good chance you will receive an acceptance call. This is based on previous threads, students' testimony, and even their own e-mail wording. Although it could be anytime from now until week before classes start in August, difficult to predict the timing since we do not know specifically our wait list position.

I really hope this is true, but it seems like this thread was very quiet after May the past two years.

I’d love to hear more about what students have said.

I really hope this is true, but it seems like this thread was very quiet after May the past two years.

I’d love to hear more about what students have said.
I know someone from tier 2 that got an acceptance call about 2 weeks before school started last year. So I think that first-tier odds seem good, but that the wait has the potential to be long and stressful.

I've heard that June 24th is a deadline to "Commit to enroll" for some schools that have offered acceptance (idk if this is some schools or all schools or really much at all about this). So if around June 24th I haven't been given an acceptance to Colorado, I would be forced to pull myself off of the waitlist (even though Colorado is my #1 right now). I would imagine others would be forced to do the same, meaning individuals with zero offers might dramatically move up the waitlist rankings. Either way, good luck!

I know someone from tier 2 that got an acceptance call about 2 weeks before school started last year. So I think that first-tier odds seem good, but that the wait has the potential to be long and stressful.

I've heard that June 24th is a deadline to "Commit to enroll" for some schools that have offered acceptance (idk if this is some schools or all schools or really much at all about this). So if around June 24th I haven't been given an acceptance to Colorado, I would be forced to pull myself off of the waitlist (even though Colorado is my #1 right now). I would imagine others would be forced to do the same, meaning individuals with zero offers might dramatically move up the waitlist rankings. Either way, good luck!
Do we have individual ranks within our tier, and they are just not disclosed to us? Or do they re-evaluate candidates within the tier when a spot opens and invite the ones that help them balance the class?

Also, I agree that previous years a lot of top priority candidates were posting on SDN in May but then never updated if they eventually got an offer. Really hard to tell what will happen with us hopeful people.

Do we have individual ranks within our tier, and they are just not disclosed to us? Or do they re-evaluate candidates within the tier when a spot opens and invite the ones that help them balance the class?

Also, I agree that previous years a lot of top priority candidates were posting on SDN in May but then never updated if they eventually got an offer. Really hard to tell what will happen with us hopeful people.
No clue. My guess would only reveal if I'm an idealistic or cynical individual.

And that goes to show that we should remember to post our eventual outcomes on here. 2020 hopefuls will want to know just as much as we do.

No clue. My guess would only reveal if I'm an idealistic or cynical individual.

And that goes to show that we should remember to post our eventual outcomes on here. 2020 hopefuls will want to know just as much as we do.
So, I guess I already revealed that in my previous posts. Yes, we will do the right thing, even if that means posting about that dreadful the class is full email.