2017-2018 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who have received the secondary, I just wanted to verify that it's 1500 characters TOTAL between the diversity and "fit" essay. That just seems short to express everything so just wanted to clarify.

And does anyone know the screening process for this school? Is it solely numbers based?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those of you who have received the secondary, I just wanted to verify that it's 1500 characters TOTAL between the diversity and "fit" essay. That just seems short to express everything so just wanted to clarify.

And does anyone know the screening process for this school? Is it solely numbers based?
Yes, that is correct, it is 1500 characters total. And no screening process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Please check this box to verify that you understand that you must be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid to be admitted to the University of Colorado School of Medicine."

So ... as a Canadian citizen, I suppose that means there's no point moving forward with this if I'm not eligible for Federal Student Aid? I did not even know this was a requirement.
Did you get an answer to this question? I emailed them twice, but no response:(

Did you get an answer to this question? I emailed them twice, but no response:(

I also have emailed them twice with no reply. I should just call but I won't be able to do so today.

i'm pretty sure its CUSOM.

Last edited:
I also have emailed them twice with no reply. I should just call but I won't be able to do so today.
I called them and they said they accept Canadian applicants, but I don't think they practically do because the secondary billing address gives only US addresses as options, and MSAR says they interviewed 0 international applicants last year.

Hey everyone! I had a question about Part C: If I am not a reapplicant to U of CO, but I have applied to schools in the past, does this question still apply to me?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking it's just for reapplicants to CU. Maybe that's just me being lazy though idk. I'm leaving it blank though

I called them and they said they accept Canadian applicants, but I don't think they practically do because the secondary billing address gives only US addresses as options, and MSAR says they interviewed 0 international applicants last year.
I left voicemail and emailed the dean of admissions but no response!

Last edited:
Just checked and confirmed. So the question I now have is why?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
probably because they don't want to get confused with the "UCs" in california.
its weird since their website says "ucdenver" but when talking to students, they always call it cu denver....
i wish they would make up their mind and use the same acronym across the board lol.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking it's just for reapplicants to CU. Maybe that's just me being lazy though idk. I'm leaving it blank though

I did to. Or I put NA because I'm used to filling out job applications fully of irrelevant questions :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I left voicemail and emailed the dean of admissions but no response!

Just got an email reply. They are changing their policy on international students and so we would be eligible for acceptance but not financial aid. This is good news! I suppose I should get started on my secondary now.

Wondering if I should send in secondary here. OOS (Utah resident) 3.5 gpa 512 MCAT. Well rounded ECs. Lots of strong LORs.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Wondering if I should send in secondary here. OOS (Utah resident) 3.5 gpa 512 MCAT. Well rounded ECs. Lots of strong LORs.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

I thought I read somewhere (I should probably look this up) that Colorado gives some preference to students in the surrounding states. However, I believe that is because many don't have a medical school (and Utah does, right?). I just looked it up and 20% of their students are OOS.

Your stats seem satisfactory - you match the median MCAT (512) and are within the middle 80% on GPA. If you can afford the secondary fee, there's really no reason not to submit.

Also, they state this on their website:
"Do you give preference to residents of the state of Colorado?
Yes. As a state institution, Colorado residents are a high priority however we also encourage applicants from other states to apply. Every new class is a mix of Colorado residents and non-Colorado residents."

Have most people been applying to both the main campus and Colorado springs or just one?

Also does it look bad to not select the rural or urban tract?

Have most people been applying to both the main campus and Colorado springs or just one?

Also does it look bad to not select the rural or urban tract?
I didn't apply to Colorado Springs, but I did fill out the Urban Underserved track.

So they emailed back and said yes it will be applied automatically.

So you didn't have to do anything else once you submitted to be complete right? As in, we do not have to email the admissions office our FAP approval right?

If they are not screening this year, then that is definitely different from last year. I applied as an OOS resident here last year (even though I work on their campus) and despite submitting my application on day 1, did not receive a secondary until November (But seriously, why would any school send out a secondary that late?!). I know of CO residents with similar stats to mine that received secondaries in August, so I think it's safe to say (that at least for last year) they do screen applicants prior to sending secondaries, and show a preference for CO residents.

Hi all. I work for the CU School of Medicine in research and that gives me some inside knowledge on the admissions process. They do pre-screen and are doing so this year but the only criteria is your MCAT score. If you got below a certain threshold, you will be put into a different applicant pool to be reviewed before being invited to complete a secondary application. If you have not received an invite for your secondary, check your spam folder. If it is not there and you feel like you have a competitive MCAT, then call the admissions office at (303) 724-6407. Hope this helps those of you still wondering what is going on for secondaries. Good luck all!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all. I work for the CU School of Medicine in research and that gives me some inside knowledge on the admissions process. They do pre-screen and are doing so this year but the only criteria is your MCAT score. If you got below a certain threshold, you will be put into a different applicant pool to be reviewed before being invited to complete a secondary application. If you have not received an invite for your secondary, check your spam folder. If it is not there and you feel like you have a competitive MCAT, then call the admissions office at (303) 724-6407. Hope this helps those of you still wondering what is going on for secondaries. Good luck all!

Do you know if there's any disadvantage to not applying for Colorado Springs/rural/urban tracks?

Any chance you know what the MCAT cut-off is?

FYI: For those under the FAP, submit your application then completely disregard the payment option. It will say that your app will be processed upon completed payment, but I was assured that they will review the secondary regardless and will clear the payment from their end.

Do you know if there's any disadvantage to not applying for Colorado Springs/rural/urban tracks?

The school does like to see people go into rural medicine since a large portion of the state qualifies as rural. I would avoid applying to a particular program if that isn't an interest, though. CU offers many different tracks and they all have limited spots. I'm not sure of the demand for each one individually.

Does anyone know how they determine IS/OOS? For other schools, it's just a checkbox in the secondary, but I don't see any place to indicate residency status in the CU secondary...

Does anyone know how they determine IS/OOS? For other schools, it's just a checkbox in the secondary, but I don't see any place to indicate residency status in the CU secondary...

They'll pull it from your AMCAS

They'll pull it from your AMCAS
How? AMCAS has places to indicate your legal residency, but not domicile. CU has a requirement of 2 years of CO residency to establish in-state, and there isn't anywhere (so far) that I have given that information.

I'm asking because I'll be right at the two year mark and *just* eligible for IS as specified by their website:

Residency | CU Anschutz | University of Colorado Denver

How? AMCAS has places to indicate your legal residency, but not domicile. CU has a requirement of 2 years of CO residency to establish in-state, and there isn't anywhere (so far) that I have given that information.

I'm asking because I'll be right at the two year mark and *just* eligible for IS as specified by their website:

Residency | CU Anschutz | University of Colorado Denver

It's difficult to claim IS status if you don't don't claim that state as your place of legal residence. Do you pay CO state tax, are you registered to vote there, do you own property? If you answer yes to these questions, then for all intents and purposes you can claim CO as your state of residence and you should have also listed it as your legal residence on AMCAS. You can't claim yourself as IS for multiple states.

Check out the "Establishing Domicile" tab in the link provided.

Do they use the preferred address or permanent address? I've been a CO resident for 5 years and put my CO address as my preferred address but used my father's address in NY as my permanent address. I tried calling but she didn't know and forwarded me to a voicemail.

It's whatever you marked as your state of legal residence on AMCAS, it's listed in the Biographic Information page.

Per AMCAS:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...218d2b7/2018_amcas_instruction_manual_web.pdf

Legal Residence
Select the state in which you are a legal resident. If your state is not listed, select "Unknown USA" from the list. If you qualify for residency in more than one state, you may declare only one of those states as your legal residence on application materials. After selecting a state, select your county from the drop-down list. If your county is not listed, select " Unknown County" from the drop-down list.

Most states have language that makes it tough to claim residency in multiple states, but often it is vague. Explain your ties to CO in the secondary if you haven't already.

Just got the update "We have received your CU Online Secondary Application payment. Your application is under review by the Admissions Committee." Submitted 7/19.

Last edited:
Question for people applying to the Urban Underserved track (CU-UNITE):
The prompt says "Please answer each of the questions below separately" ... Are you answering the questions in one essay or actually putting A-, B-, C- and your answers under each part? I am not sure what they are looking for because there is only one box for answers and it is kind of hard to transition since part C is so different from A and B!
Thanks!

I grew up in Colorado, will this factor into my application positively at all?

Question for people applying to the Urban Underserved track (CU-UNITE):
The prompt says "Please answer each of the questions below separately" ... Are you answering the questions in one essay or actually putting A-, B-, C- and your answers under each part? I am not sure what they are looking for because there is only one box for answers and it is kind of hard to transition since part C is so different from A and B!
Thanks!
Yes I started each answer with A) or B) within that box but they didn't flow as a single essay

Thank you! I ended up doing that too!

I submitted my application and paid 11 days ago, and my status on the portal is "We have received your CU Online Secondary Application and will begin processing it once payment is received. [Note: Payment processing may take 7-10 days.]"

Should I call the school to make sure they got my payment and my application is going forward, or trust that they will eventually get around to me?

I submitted my application and paid 11 days ago, and my status on the portal is "We have received your CU Online Secondary Application and will begin processing it once payment is received. [Note: Payment processing may take 7-10 days.]"

Should I call the school to make sure they got my payment and my application is going forward, or trust that they will eventually get around to me?
I think it would be reasonable to give them a call to check up on it. You've let the time they say it should take pass. Can't hurt.

I think it would be reasonable to give them a call to check up on it. You've let the time they say it should take pass. Can't hurt.

As of today, my status has been changed to under review! I was going to call, but ended up not needing to. Fingers crossed!

As of today, my status has been changed to under review! I was going to call, but ended up not needing to. Fingers crossed!
The science nerd inside me is in love with your user name.

I confirmed with someone on the admissions team that CU will use traditional interviews this cycle and not the MMI as stated on MSAR.

Reactions: 2 users
I confirmed with someone on the admissions team that CU will use traditional interviews this cycle and not the MMI as stated on MSAR.
You wonder where MSAR gets their info. They have a ton of misinformation on there. Their oldest MCAT date is wrong for CU as well.

Question-
My big motivator in applying to Colorado is my brother, who is a student at UC Boulder and plans on settling down in Denver. I'd love to be with him, so Colorado is one of my top choices. Unfortunately, there is no where to put this information in the secondary application. Do you think it would be acceptable to put it under "Part C: If you are a re-applicant, please explain how you and your application has changed since your previous submission."

Or, can I add this to my main essay (Part A/B)?

Last edited:
Question-
My big motivator in applying to Colorado is my brother, who is a student at UC Boulder and plans on settling down in Denver. I'd love to be with him, so Colorado is one of my top choices. Unfortunately, there is no where to put this information in the secondary application. Do you think it would be acceptable to put it under "Part C: If you are a re-applicant, please explain how you and your application has changed since your previous submission."
That would not answer Part C so no. I would say to focus more on the school's specific programs you likeor patient demographics served in that area. Wanting to go to a school because of family living nearby isn't a very strong argument in my opinion for them taking you over someone else.

That would not answer Part C so no. I would say to focus more on the school's specific programs you likeor patient demographics served in that area. Wanting to go to a school because of family living nearby isn't a very strong argument in my opinion for them taking you over someone else.

Thank you. Do you think it would be appropriate to include it in my main essay for part A/B? Or is that still out of place and inappropriate.

Thank you. Do you think it would be appropriate to include it in my main essay for part A/B? Or is that still out of place and inappropriate.
I would maybe spend a sentence on it but by no means would I make it a main point. Perhaps if you visited your brother and that's how you first saw or heard about the medical school. Also to me, CU Boulder is a whole different world than Anschutz Medical Campus

I would maybe spend a sentence on it but by no means would I make it a main point. Perhaps if you visited your brother and that's how you first saw or heard about the medical school. Also to me, CU Boulder is a whole different world than Anschutz Medical Campus

Yeah it would just be a sentence or two at the end.

Just added this school yesterday. OOS. Time to write this odd secondary.