2017-2018 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. Do you think it would be appropriate to include it in my main essay for part A/B? Or is that still out of place and inappropriate.

I agree with what's been said above. Demonstrate your ties with one sentence somewhere toward the end of the essay and weave it into your bigger point.

Members don't see this ad.

i ended up submitting the secondary without mentioning it, lol. If I get chosen for an interview then I'll bring it up then!

i ended up submitting the secondary without mentioning it, lol. If I get chosen for an interview then I'll bring it up then!

Good luck! I think you would have been fine either way, but it's amazing how 1500 characters goes by quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted secondary. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello my AMCAS application was submitted a few weeks ago to UCSOM. When should I expect to receive the secondary application? Thanks.

Hello my AMCAS application was submitted a few weeks ago to UCSOM. When should I expect to receive the secondary application? Thanks.
I got mine the next day when I added the school two weeks ago. Idk if they have a cutoff but you might want to call or check your spam folders.

Thanks! I will check that. So they don't take 2-4 weeks to review the application? Everyone gets a secondary?

If they are not screening this year, then that is definitely different from last year. I applied as an OOS resident here last year (even though I work on their campus) and despite submitting my application on day 1, did not receive a secondary until November (But seriously, why would any school send out a secondary that late?!). I know of CO residents with similar stats to mine that received secondaries in August, so I think it's safe to say (that at least for last year) they do screen applicants prior to sending secondaries, and show a preference for CO residents.
Someone just told me that they received the secondary as soon as they submitted their application. I have not received anything yet and my application was sent to them on 7/21. Do some applicants receive secondary late? Thanks

Not everyone gets a secondary and they do review the initial application before sending it. For whatever reason, some people they review faster than others. I'm sure they have some form of automated review that some people squeak through based off of residency and stats. I received mine the next day but I think that is because I'm a reapplicant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not everyone gets a secondary and they do review the initial application before sending it. For whatever reason, some people they review faster than others. I'm sure they have some form of automated review that some people squeak through based off of residency and stats. I received mine the next day but I think that is because I'm a reapplicant

Thanks Chamakay. Im hoping I receive the secondary application maybe down the road. Im not aware of the admissions process unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I work for the CU School of Medicine in research and that gives me some inside knowledge on the admissions process. They do pre-screen and are doing so this year but the only criteria is your MCAT score. If you got below a certain threshold, you will be put into a different applicant pool to be reviewed before being invited to complete a secondary application. If you have not received an invite for your secondary, check your spam folder. If it is not there and you feel like you have a competitive MCAT, then call the admissions office at (303) 724-6407. Hope this helps those of you still wondering what is going on for secondaries. Good luck all!
Hello, if for some reason my spam folder items got deleted do you know if they will send another secondary? Also for the applicants that are put in a separate pool, when are secondary applications sent to them? Thanks.

Hello, if for some reason my spam folder items got deleted do you know if they will send another secondary? Also for the applicants that are put in a separate pool, when are secondary applications sent to them? Thanks.

I don't think it would go to your spam folder so I wouldn't worry about that for now. For some applicants, they never receive a secondary from CU. Last year, they sent secondaries to just over half of the applicant pool. That said, I would imagine that yours will be coming in the next couple weeks. If you haven't heard anything by September it might be reasonable to call and ask if they can provide you with any more information. I would refrain from calling or emailing until then but that's just me. Other folks here might be able to offer a different perspective.

EDIT: Did not see the original post above. In what percentile range is your MCAT Tara101?

I don't think it would go to your spam folder so I wouldn't worry about that for now. For some applicants, they never receive a secondary from CU. Last year, they sent secondaries to just over half of the applicant pool. That said, I would imagine that yours will be coming in the next couple weeks. If you haven't heard anything by September it might be reasonable to call and ask if they can provide you with any more information. I would refrain from calling or emailing until then but that's just me. Other folks here might be able to offer a different perspective.

EDIT: Did not see the original post above. In what percentile range is your MCAT Tara101?
Thanks Chamakay! I will wait till Sept. My MCAT was in 45th percentile however I have lots of experience in the healthcare field 10 years to include leadership and clinical analyst roles. I also work for the military for the past 5 years. So in hoping they consider that in my application

Thanks Chamakay! I will wait till Sept. My MCAT was in 45th percentile however I have lots of experience in the healthcare field 10 years to include leadership and clinical analyst roles. So in hoping they consider that in my application

I was told years ago that their cutoff for the new MCAT would be around a 500 but I have no idea if that is still accurate. CU definitely looks at an applicant holistically but you would need to make it past the MCAT screen for that to matter. You could always call/email to ask if they can provide any information about secondary screening and where you might fit. Given this information I would see no need to wait till September to call/email but don't be surprised if the admissions office is unwilling to provide you with any more information at this stage.

Thanks Chamakay! I will wait till Sept. My MCAT was in 45th percentile however I have lots of experience in the healthcare field 10 years to include leadership and clinical analyst roles. So in hoping they consider that in my application
I was told years ago that their cutoff for the new MCAT would be around a 500 but I have no idea if that is still accurate. CU definitely looks at an applicant holistically but you would need to make it past the MCAT screen for that to matter. You could always call/email to ask if they can provide any information about secondary screening and where you might fit. Given this information I would see no need to wait till September to call/email but don't be surprised if the admissions office is unwilling to provide you with any more information at this stage.
I think since it's high season right now probably waiting till Sept would be good. I will keep you posted what happens. Thanks for all your help and info.

How? AMCAS has places to indicate your legal residency, but not domicile. CU has a requirement of 2 years of CO residency to establish in-state, and there isn't anywhere (so far) that I have given that information.

I'm asking because I'll be right at the two year mark and *just* eligible for IS as specified by their website:

Residency | CU Anschutz | University of Colorado Denver
Not sure where you're getting two years.

"In order to establish a domicile for tuition purposes, there must be 1) physical presence for at least 12 months within the state along with 2) demonstrated intent to make Colorado one’s permanent home. Intent is demonstrated by several kinds of connections with the state dated one year prior to the beginning of classes. Note: For School of Medicine and School of Dental Medicine applicants there is a different reference date for residency determination: the date of selection for admission."

Someone just told me that they received the secondary as soon as they submitted their application. I have not received anything yet and my application was sent to them on 7/21. Do some applicants receive secondary late? Thanks
Last year I applied as a CA resident and did not receive a secondary until November (and I had submitted my primary on the first day possible), this year as a CO resident I got their secondary almost immediately after getting verified. Not sure why any school would send a secondary in November, and that was with stating that I work full time at Anschutz and having letters of rec from professors here. They're fickle.

Last year I applied as a CA resident and did not receive a secondary until November (and I had submitted my primary on the first day possible), this year as a CO resident I got their secondary almost immediately after getting verified. Not sure why any school would send a secondary in November, and that was with stating that I work full time at Anschutz and having letters of rec from professors here. They're fickle.

That's strange...I got my secondary a few days after verifying and I'm a VA resident.

That's strange...I got my secondary a few days after verifying and I'm a VA resident.
My bad, should have also mentioned that my stats weren't too impressive last year, which I feel like they need to be to get a secondary early if you're OOS (so congrats!). But the point that I was trying to make is that they will probably still give out secondaries for the next 3 months.

My bad, should have also mentioned that my stats weren't too impressive last year, which I feel like they need to be to get a secondary early if you're OOS (so congrats!). But the point that I was trying to make is that they will probably still give out secondaries for the next 3 months.

Ah okay, that's true! My stats are at their medians so that might have helped me :)

How bad does it look if you do not have a letter from your employer during the application year? I have letters from faculty, instructors, research mentors, and 2 supervisors from 2 separate, ongoing, long-term volunteer positions.

How bad does it look if you do not have a letter from your employer during the application year? I have letters from faculty, instructors, research mentors, and 2 supervisors from 2 separate, ongoing, long-term volunteer positions.

How long have you been working there? I just started my job in June, so I have a letter from my previous employer. If you started this job rather recently it would make sense that you don't have one. If you've been there for five years that may be different.

How long have you been working there? I just started my job in June, so I have a letter from my previous employer. If you started this job rather recently it would make sense that you don't have one. If you've been there for five years that may be different.

Almost a year. It is on my AMCAS and contact info for my boss is on there. My boss is great, they know I am applying to medical school, and we have a wonderful working relationship. I just never got an official letter from them, as I had 6 already.

Almost a year. It is on my AMCAS and contact info for my boss is on there. My boss is great, they know I am applying to medical school, and we have a wonderful working relationship. I just never got an official letter from them, as I had 6 already.

I think you could make an argument either way if a school asks about it. I don't think it will look particularly bad not to have one unless you are a non-traditional (and I don't mean one-year out - I mean career changer). It sounds like it could be helpful, but that doesn't mean you should scramble to get it.

I think you could make an argument either way if a school asks about it. I don't think it will look particularly bad not to have one unless you are a non-traditional (and I don't mean one-year out - I mean career changer). It sounds like it could be helpful, but that doesn't mean you should scramble to get it.

Well I have been out of undergrad for 3 years officially. I have letters from grad school faculty and volunteer supervisors to cover that gap, but does that change anything?

Well I have been out of undergrad for 3 years officially. I have letters from grad school faculty and volunteer supervisors to cover that gap, but does that change anything?

I think you're fine, honestly. I've been out over 10 years and I was told it would look rather weird if I didn't have a letter from my employer (where I've worked for 11 years).

Any insight into the English literature/composition requirement? I fulfilled the writing requirement during my undergrad with one writing course, and thereafter took lots of writing intensive courses and wrote a 120 page thesis. Think any of this will fulfill their requirement or does it explicitly have to be English literature/composition?

Any insight into the English literature/composition requirement? I fulfilled the writing requirement during my undergrad with one writing course, and thereafter took lots of writing intensive courses and wrote a 120 page thesis. Think any of this will fulfill their requirement or does it explicitly have to be English literature/composition?

I would email to be sure (unless someone here is in a similar situation). I've had differing levels of success depending on each school I emailed (with similar requests - including the thesis). Every school would accept my Lit class that was writing intensive. Some would take other options as well, but some would not so I ended up taking an additional intensive-writing English class for the few that wouldn't. I did not email Colorado (by the time I found the few who wouldn't accept my credit, I bit the bullet and signed up for the class). BTW- sounds like we might be from similar undergrads if you only took one writing requirement and wrote a thesis.

I heard 8/31 is the first round of IIs...

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm a MS1 at CUSOM and happy to answer any questions y'all have. Shoot me a PM if I can help, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II earlier this afternoon! OOS applicant

Reactions: 6 users
II invitation this afternoon, OOS but one of my parents has lived in Colorado for fifteen years. Non-trad, 516 MCAT, low undergrad but high graduate GPA. Secondary sent July 11, complete July 23rd.

Does anyone know how flexible they are with rescheduling interview dates? They just gave me a date, and it doesn't work for me so I will have to reschedule, but I'm worried that the next date they give me will fall on another interview date. I don't want to have to reschedule twice and have it negatively affect my chances.

For those of you wondering about secondaries, this is the only secondary invitation that ended up in my spam folder somehow. I don't check it often but was really glad I did when I saw the secondary invitation stuck there so definitely be vigilant about looking.

II invitation this afternoon, OOS but one of my parents has lived in Colorado for fifteen years. Non-trad, 516 MCAT, low undergrad but high graduate GPA. Secondary sent July 11, complete July 23rd.

Does anyone know how flexible they are with rescheduling interview dates? They just gave me a date, and it doesn't work for me so I will have to reschedule, but I'm worried that the next date they give me will fall on another interview date. I don't want to have to reschedule twice and have it negatively affect my changes.

For those of you wondering about secondaries, this is the only secondary invitation that ended up in my spam folder somehow. I don't check it often but was really glad I did when I saw the secondary invitation stuck there so definitely be vigilant about looking.
Did you mention your ties to the state in your secondary?

Did you mention your ties to the state in your secondary?

I didn't mention any ties to the state in the secondary but on the AMCAS application I did indicate that my parent lived in Colorado. I don't know if this is significant, but I indicated that I would be interested in participating in the CU-UNITE track in my secondary and wrote the associated essays for that selection.

To those with II, what dates are they giving out? Weekend of the 9/9 or 9/15? Thanks!!

They assign you a Friday date and if you need to reschedule they'll contact you! Very easy process, I rescheduled mine today, was given 9/22 originally

To those with II, what dates are they giving out? Weekend of the 9/9 or 9/15? Thanks!!
I was given 09/29 and was able to work it into my schedule, so I accepted the original date.