2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like today was acceptances only so a decision (hold or rejection) could have been made but not released yet :(

I got a hold today; interviewed in September

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! Interviewed early September. Phone interview Sept 27!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone accepted that interviewed end of Sept? Still haven't had my phone interview !!! dying

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone accepted that interviewed end of Sept? Still haven't had my phone interview !!! dying
I was accepted an interviewed late September but had my phone interview about two weeks ago. I think you need to wait for that unfortunately.

Rejected, complete 7/20. This one hurts more than the rest because not only am I IS, but I grew up down the street.

Also rejected pre-II. Complete 7/14. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Rejected pre-II today. Completed on 9/5/2017. Good luck everyone!

Rejected pre -II as a re applications. Completed early July .

Upset because I’m from the same borough - not so upset on the other hand because when I asked for feedback about my last years application I got a generic email back , 3 months into the new cycle, how they value volunteering , research etc. and then they also got the school I attend wrong in the email . Great school, but messy admissions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today, pre-II
Completed in August

From same bourough... not that upset but felt like a quick rejection

Did you all get the rejection through email? I was complete July 31st, so I dont know whether to think I survived the cut or mines on its way

Did you all get the rejection through email? I was complete July 31st, so I dont know whether to think I survived the cut or mines on its way

+1 I'm obsessively checking my portal now...

+1 I'm obsessively checking my portal now...

I don't know how effective that will be.

My portal hasn't updated throughout the cycle - not for an II/or my interview decision.

Complete 7/27 and am from the boroughs... didn't get an email, atleast yet haha..

Rejected pr-II, complete 07/10. I was told by my friend who is an MS2 that most II's are gone by this point at downstate so I wasn't hoping for much since I was complete earlier and heard nothing for more than 3 months

You will surely hear this week, just my prediction based on ur complete date brah

Hey guys,

I just forfeited my interview for Thursday, November 9th 2017 so there is a spot that just opened up for that date (forfeited due to holding other acceptances). Hopefully it goes to someone here! Good luck ya'll!

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry for the repeat post but has anyone that interviewed end of Sept still not had their peer to peer covno......... dying over here

Sent out the letter accepting my seat!:happy:

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED today!!!! Interviewed on 9/19 and Peer interview on 10/21!

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected pr-II, complete 07/10. I was told by my friend who is an MS2 that most II's are gone by this point at downstate so I wasn't hoping for much since I was complete earlier and heard nothing for more than 3 months
is this for real? All the spots are taken but they say they interview through February....
so if we haven't gotten an II yet we're supposed to assume we aren't getting one? damn

Rejected here on 11/1. Complete 8/12. Too bad was probs my top choice but oh well. Still waiting on that first II.

is this for real? All the spots are taken but they say they interview through February....
so if we haven't gotten an II yet we're supposed to assume we aren't getting one? damn
Downstate interviews until April and I think he/she means that interview slots may be filled and you might have gotten a spot without knowing because downstate does not tell you until one month before your scheduled date... also spots will constantly open up as people drop interviews.

Damn, does downstate usually reject applicants during this time? It seemed like a huge wave and I don't remember this happening in last year's thread.

Damn, does downstate usually reject applicants during this time? It seemed like a huge wave and I don't remember this happening in last year's thread.

Don’t think you can really compare this year cycle to last year. The difference is that they added the peer interview, which can delay the decision since it depends on when the students are available.

Hey guys, bit of an interesting situation. So I was accepted to Downstate, but out of all the schools I visited, it gave off the worst impression to me. Interview day was disorganized and lacking and the facilities didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Now, since this is my only acceptance, I’d love to start looking at all of the awesome things I’m sure the school has to offer. Would any fellow interviewees or current students care to share their thoughts on the school?

II a few days ago!
Complete early September; OOS with strong ties; LizzyM 70

Hey guys, bit of an interesting situation. So I was accepted to Downstate, but out of all the schools I visited, it gave off the worst impression to me. Interview day was disorganized and lacking and the facilities didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Now, since this is my only acceptance, I’d love to start looking at all of the awesome things I’m sure the school has to offer. Would any fellow interviewees or current students care to share their thoughts on the school?

The match list, if you want to stay in NYC, is incredible and rivals that of the Manhattan Titans. You get to served underserved populations in Brooklyn, a borough with a large minority and immigrant population. The clinical training is excellent. If you're out of state, you can get in state tuition after the first year if you live off campus that first year.

Reactions: 2 users

Echoing @pramsotingz , clinical training is really key. I think applicants often focus too much on the preclinical curriculum, which tbh isn't thaaaaat different school to school - regardless of integrated vs. traditional etc., everyone is gonna use the same resources for boards. Clinical training is huge - that's where the bulk of your learning occurs, and definitely the bulk of preparing you for residency. Downstate is huge on the "see one, do one, teach one" often quite literally. You do a lot more than your peers at other med schools in clinical years, and residencies know that - not just in NYC! I'm on the interview trail now, and even programs that I never would've thought knew Downstate much (if at all) out of state are aware of Downstate's reputation.

Happy to talk more about pros (and cons) - feel free to ask me anything here or via PM.

In peer interview, I asked a MS3 student about the weaknesses of the school. He answered food spots in the neighborhood and communication (paper work) between hospitals and the school. So definitely Downstate has some weakness in some offices. But, when I asked him about what he liked, he said clinical experience and good preparation for Step 1.

In the tour on interview day, the students also emphasized how early the clinical exposure was. At Downstate, they are handling actual patients, as opposed to standardized/stimulated patients.

Just my opinion. But why not shadow a student to know more? In the accepted student packet, I think there’s a section for that. If you have doubts, definitely check it out.

Is it really true that you can get in state tuition for your second year if you live off campus the first year??
I am from Florida and the Florida medical schools are NOT like that.
@Keladry

Is it really true that you can get in state tuition for your second year if you live off campus the first year??
I am from Florida and the Florida medical schools are NOT like that.
@Keladry
Yes!! I'm from out of state, did exactly that. They have a deadline (must have lived in NY with proof for 1 year as of like July before your 2nd year) but I missed it by a few weeks (my lease started in August) and had no issues. Can't remember the specifics, but think they wanted a copy of my lease, utility bills (just 1 - I paid electric, roommates did gas/internet), & license, I sent it in, and was all set.

Do they accept updates?
Yes, they do! I sent them an email with an update letter attached and they replied within a few hours telling me it was accepted and attached to my application, so I'd recommend emailing them!

Yes, they do! I sent them an email with an update letter attached and they replied within a few hours telling me it was accepted and attached to my application, so I'd recommend emailing them!
Great! Thanks for the reply!

Did you send this update post-interview?

Anybody get the official acceptance letter yet?

Has anyone interviewed and not been contacted by their peer to peer med student yet?

I am a current third year. Feel free to DM me any questions you have about the program!