2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody get the official acceptance letter yet?

Not yet I called today and they told me another 3 business days depending on where you live.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation email from Medadmissions saying that they received your reply form..... How long did it take for you guys to receive it after you sent them the reply form? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten a confirmation email from Medadmissions saying that they received your reply form..... How long did it take for you guys to receive it after you sent them the reply form? Thanks!!
I emailed them asking this exact question. Apparently, they send snail mail as confirmation

Reactions: 1 user
I got a confirmatin email roughly 1.5 weeks after sending the form in.

Wait, how? They only started sending out "You're accepted" emails about a week ago. I emailed them my Reply Form 2 days ago, but haven't heard back.

Wait, how? They only started sending out "You're accepted" emails about a week ago. I emailed them my Reply Form 2 days ago, but haven't heard back.
I got the acceptance email last Tuesday and I printed out the attached reply form and mailed it back the next morning. They confirmed my acceptance yesterday. So just 1 week actually, my bad.

Wait so if we send them a post-interview update they will tell us whether we got accepted or not? I'm confused

oh crap, i should probably send that form now. good thing I live 40 min away!

Yes! I got the email about two days later

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called earlier this week and they mentioned that they’re just now going through them and processing them.

I called earlier this week and they mentioned that they’re just now going through them and processing them.

Thanks, do you remember the dates that you emailed them the reply form and heard back from them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the acceptance email last Tuesday and I printed out the attached reply form and mailed it back the next morning. They confirmed my acceptance yesterday. So just 1 week actually, my bad.
How did they notify you?

Got the official acceptance letter in the mail today. I gotta renew my CPR certification!

Got the official acceptance letter in the mail today. I gotta renew my CPR certification!

Same here, got my letter today that was dated November 1. I also called to verify that they received my acceptance reply, though he informed me an email will be sent out notifying everyone. So if you haven't received anything yet, give it some time everyone! I'm sure they're working as fast as they can.

Can any current students comment on what kind of tablet/laptop SUNY Downstate offers ? I am planning on being a savage and pre-ordering the new surface book 2 ( impulse and novelty got the best of me!), but am on the fence about it.

Can any current students comment on what kind of tablet/laptop SUNY Downstate offers ? I am planning on being a savage and pre-ordering the new surface book 2 ( impulse and novelty got the best of me!), but am on the fence about it.
I don’t think they give anything to students actually. Last 2 years, an annoynmous alumnus donor gave out iPad minis though.

had you been contacted for a peer-to-peer conversation before sending this update?
Yup, I had already had the peer conversation a few weeks prior!
-----
Also, on a somewhat unrelated note: My application just got put on hold for spring consideration today. I'm IS, interviewed 9/13 and had my peer interview 10/5. I'm a bit bummed, but I'm not giving up hope yet! I will cling to anything that's not a flat-out rejection lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Got my acceptance email today!!!! Literally just checked my email after getting out of work haha! Thank you Jesus :woot:

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance letter last night. If we emailed our acceptance form do we still have to snail mail the physical form?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance letter last night. If we emailed our acceptance form do we still have to snail mail the physical form?
They told me email was fine when I called. They also confirm they received your acceptance letter email with another email a few days later.

Is anyone else about to spend a lot of money on Black Friday to buy some things for medical school, or am I the only one lol. Been eyeing an iPad mini, a bose headphone, and some kitchen appliances like coffee maker and crock pot.

Is anyone else about to spend a lot of money on Black Friday to buy some things for medical school, or am I the only one lol. Been eyeing an iPad mini, a bose headphone, and some kitchen appliances like coffee maker and crock pot.

Same! Trying to get the surface book 2 and an android smart watch lol. Good luck to us both

Yup, I had already had the peer conversation a few weeks prior!
-----
Also, on a somewhat unrelated note: My application just got put on hold for spring consideration today. I'm IS, interviewed 9/13 and had my peer interview 10/5. I'm a bit bummed, but I'm not giving up hope yet! I will cling to anything that's not a flat-out rejection lol
I'm sorry to hear that! Did they email you?

II today! LizzyM 70-75, complete late September. I don't like how they assign you a date and basically say you can only change for "extraordinary reasons." I am coming from out of state and the date is quite inconvenient for work related reasons--maybe this has been asked but has anyone switched their date for more low key reasons?

Reactions: 3 users
Have people who submitted early sept / late August heard back already :( I really wanted to interview here

II today! LizzyM 70-75, complete late September. I don't like how they assign you a date and basically say you can only change for "extraordinary reasons." I am coming from out of state and the date is quite inconvenient for work related reasons--maybe this has been asked but has anyone switched their date for more low key reasons?
Def worth shooting them an email - I couldn't make my initial date and didn't have a problem rescheduling. Just let them know you have a prior commitment/conflict.

Hey could anyone who already had an interview (morning at 10 am) comment on what time the day ended? Trying to schedule a flight out.
Thanks!

Hey could anyone who already had an interview (morning at 10 am) comment on what time the day ended? Trying to schedule a flight out.
Thanks!
The interview ended about 2pm for me had a 10:15 interview and then the tour afterwards

Has anyone still not received an email about scheduling a peer conversation?

I interviewed on 10/3. I emailed the admissions office about not receiving the peer conversation email. They responded that I would hear from a student "soon" and I have been hearing crickets.

Last edited:

I interviewed on 10/3. I emailed the admissions office about not receiving the peer conversation email on 11/1. They responded that I would hear from a student "soon" but it's been 2 weeks since that email and I only have been hearing crickets.
I have not either and I interviewed 9/26. I have received two emails from downstate telling me to be patient. Basically, it's out of our hands and is whenever the student has time to contact us. So, I wouldn't be worried. Kind of sucks for us though

I interviewed on 10/3. I emailed the admissions office about not receiving the peer conversation email on 11/1. They responded that I would hear from a student "soon" but it's been 2 weeks since that email and I only have been hearing crickets.

Many of the students who are part of the peer-peer program are 2nd and 3rd years, and 2nd/3rd years just finished exams. So it should be happening soon, definitely don't freak out that you haven't been contacted yet. The waiting sucks but it will happen!

Same i submit late August and i have yet to hear back. This is my top choice :/

I was complete in the middle of July and didn't hear anything back, so I decided to call them and see if they could provide me with a status upstate. The lady I spoke on the phone with was really nice and let me know that I was scheduled for an interview later on in the cycle and that I should expect to receive an email approximately 1 month before my interview date. If you are really anxious to know about status, I would recommend calling to find out!

Reactions: 4 users
I was complete in the middle of July and didn't hear anything back, so I decided to call them and see if they could provide me with a status upstate. The lady I spoke on the phone with was really nice and let me know that I was scheduled for an interview later on in the cycle and that I should expect to receive an email approximately 1 month before my interview date. If you are really anxious to know about status, I would recommend calling to find out!
you're making me want to call every school i applied to LOL, congrats though!

lmaooo now everyone gonna be calling tomorrow to check

I wonder why they wait to give the II a month after the scheduled date. If they notified earlier it would help relieve stress of students waiting for IIs and help coordinate travel plans and plans in general seeing as how they literally just give you one date and you have to go to that one.

For my interview day it occurred the day I had an exam but luckily I could drop one exam in that class.

Many of the students who are part of the peer-peer program are 2nd and 3rd years, and 2nd/3rd years just finished exams. So it should be happening soon, definitely don't freak out that you haven't been contacted yet. The waiting sucks but it will happen!

Good to hear that I'm not alone! I agree - I'm sure admissions are at their busiest right now, and I definitely feel for the med school students for taking time out of their busy schedules. I love the school so keeping my fingers crossed!

Hello, new member to SDN, been following this thread without an account. But finally bit the bullet to join.
SUNY Downstate is my #1 choice. I was complete August 21. But recently decided to change to MD/MPH program.

Has anyone applied to the MD/MPH here and heard back/ got interviewed/ accepted?

II just now, complete 7/24

Reactions: 4 users
Have my peer to peer convo today! anyone have any advice? or input on how theirs went/ what type of questions they asked. anything would be appreciated :)

Have my peer to peer convo today! anyone have any advice? or input on how theirs went/ what type of questions they asked. anything would be appreciated :)

It’s very relaxed as people have stated but take it seriously!

Only questions/topics I remember are:
1. If you can be a brand what brand would you be (I.e. clothing brand, car brand, any brand)
2. I think some speciality/field question and if you had any idea what you wanted to do
3. And something about diversity and how you’re comfoetable/can contribute to the diversity at Downstate

Good luck!

It’s very relaxed as people have stated but take it seriously!

Only questions/topics I remember are:
1. If you can be a brand what brand would you be (I.e. clothing brand, car brand, any brand)
2. I think some speciality/field question and if you had any idea what you wanted to do
3. And something about diversity and how you’re comfoetable/can contribute to the diversity at Downstate

Good luck!
Thanks so much!!! I appreciate it

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate it
I had something similar asked during my conversation. It was really relaxed and felt mostly like the student wanted to be as helpful as possible while also asking ~5 scripted questions. anyone know how long it takes until we hear back (ie weeks after the peer conversation)?

Is there anyone who still hasn’t received the official acceptance letter after the email notification... tomorrow will be 2 weeks?