2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone who still hasn’t received the official acceptance letter after the email notification... tomorrow will be 2 weeks?

I called them earlier this week about mine and they emailed me today saying that they mailed it out Nov. 10th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how much getting a C in a non core class during a gap year will have on an acceptance after being accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much getting a C in a non core class during a gap year will have on an acceptance after being accepted?

in my opinion, I'd say not impact. I got a C in a CORE class in undergrad and still interviewed here. An acceptance is an acceptance, it's not like they'll rescind that decision because you crapped out on an elective in a post-bac. :)

Hey has anyone who submitted in late sug /sept got any interviews yet?

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone who interviewed in the morning (10am, 9:30am arrival), approximately how long did the day go/when did you leave?

For anyone who interviewed in the morning (10am, 9:30am arrival), approximately how long did the day go/when did you leave?
My interview was at 10:00-11:00, then I waited until 11:45 for the "info session" (15 min) and the tour (1 hour) and was done by 1:00. The students do the tours in between classes so they are really strict on the 1 hour time frame.

Does anyone know when more decisions will come out?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted. Interviewed 9/21. Phone interview 10/11.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted. Interviewed 9/21. Phone interview 10/11.
Congrats! when did you interview/ peer to peer interview?

Edit: sorry somehow didn't see that never mind

Accepted today :D! This was my top choice so will be cancelling all my future interviews - hope they go to one of ya’ll!

Interviewed 10/11 and peer-to-peer convo on 10/30.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it completely normal that I haven't received notice about my peer-to-peer interview even though my interview was 4 weeks ago?
I keep checking my trash and spam because I keep fearing I accidentally deleted it or something...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it completely normal that I haven't received notice about my peer-to-peer interview even though my interview was 4 weeks ago?
I keep checking my trash and spam because I keep fearing I accidentally deleted it or something...

I got mine 3.5 weeks after the interview. I think the students are just busy with exams. You can call or email the admissions office and ask-- some people have done that this (read previous posts in the thread). Usually the response was "it's coming just be patient," but I think it won't hurt to check in.

I got mine 3.5 weeks after the interview. I think the students are just busy with exams. You can call or email the admissions office and ask-- some people have done that this (read previous posts in the thread). Usually the response was "it's coming just be patient," but I think it won't hurt to check in.
Yes, it totally depends on the schedule of the med student assigned to interview you. I interviewed end of Sept and was not contacted for a peer interview until last week. I was freaking out, but apparently that is normal! So don't worry! For context it was 7 weeks before I was contacted.

Has anyone had an MD/PhD Interview here? If so, would you mind telling me about it was structured?

rejected as well, complete early July, disappointed but good luck to everyone!

Complete early July & seem to have survived this rejection wave... wonder if my time is coming or I'm in the "to be interviewed" pile?

Rejected today at 9:00 am. Complete 8/1 LizzyM 67-69. Sent an update in monday :(

Just got placed on "Hold for Spring Consideration" post II. Anyone else? Anyone know the difference between that and the wait-list?? Is this essentially like being deferred?

Placed on hold just now ughhhh. That first acceptance continues to elude me. Interviewed first week of Oct, peer to peer mid oct.

Just got placed on "Hold for Spring Consideration" post II. Anyone else? Anyone know the difference between that and the wait-list?? Is this essentially like being deferred?

If you look at last year’s thread, a lot of people got the hold but got accepted like the next week so still hope for us.

Anyone know if pre-clinical is internally ranked? (i.e. is it a true pass/fail?)

I am a current third year. Feel free to DM me any questions you have about the program!
Hi there!!!! Thank you for being here answering questions for us. I am from Florida, and I was accepted. Downstate is my first option. I have a question to ask you. How the financial troubles of Downstate in the past, and the upcoming cuttings in federal money will affect the experience of current and future students? Is it something we should be worried about?

II just now. Complete 8/15.

Reactions: 3 users
When one of the med students reaches out to you for the phone interview, do you have to have the phone call on the same day? Thanks in advance

II!! Complete 8/17. Let’s goooo

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
When one of the med students reaches out to you for the phone interview, do you have to have the phone call on the same day? Thanks in advance

No, they schedule a time for the interview with you.

No they should try to coordinate a day that works for both of you

Is downstate receptive/accepting of In the Area requests?

Congrats on the II! What interview date are you two scheduled for? Wondering how far out Downstate is in scheduling II's
SUNY Downstate sends an interview invite email 1 month before the date, so theirs will be early January

Can anyone, whether someone who interviewed or current med student, comment on the volunteer opportunities available through the school, and particularly things involving working with under served populations